DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: March 3, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (March 1 & 2, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Wildlife Day 3rd March:
- World Wildlife Day is an opportunity to celebrate the many beautiful and varied forms of wild fauna and flora and to raise awareness of the multitude of benefits that their conservation provides to people.
- 2020 theme: “Sustaining all life on Earth”.
NABARD, IIT Mandi sign MoU to develop farmer friendly tech:
- IIT Mandi along with the Enabling Women of Kamand (EWOK) Society signed a MoU with NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development).
- IIT Mandi will get Rs 35 lakh under the MoU with NABARD for collaboration on setting up Farmer Producer Organisations (FPOs) in Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh.
- Capital: Shimla
- Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
China assumes presidency of UN Security Council for March 2020
- China took over as president of the UN Security Council for the month of March 2020, pledging to promote solidarity & cooperation in this capacity.
- Security Council established by the UN Charter is primarily responsible for maintaining international peace & security.
- The council has 15 members.
India set to be third biggest market for Coca-Cola
- India has emerged as the fifth largest business hub for the $37.2 billion American beverage giant, The Coca-Cola Company, and is on its way to becoming the third-largest market for the company.
- Chairman and CEO of Coca-Cola James Quincey.
Banking and Technology
Fitch Solutions cuts India’s economic growth forecast to 4.9% for FY20
- Fitch Solutions cut its forecast for India’s economic growth to 4.9 per cent from 5.1 per cent in the current fiscal that ends March 31, saying manufacturing could come under pressure from weak domestic demand and supply chain disruptions due to the coronavirus outbreak.
RBI receives 1.71 trillion in Long-term repo operation (LTRO)
- The Reserve Bank of India received 1.71 trillion in the third long-term repo operation (LTRO) conducted for an amount of 25,000 crore.
- The RBI will conduct another LTRO for three-year tenor worth 25,000 crore on March 9.
- Shaktikanta Das, 25th governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
OECD lowers India’s FY21 GDP growth to 5.1% on coronavirus concerns
Global agency OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) lowered its India’s GDP growth forecast to 5.1 percent from the earlier projection of 6.2 percent for 2020 on concerns of impact of deadly coronavirus on the domestic as well as the global economy.
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD):
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Secretary-General: José Ángel Gurría Treviño
OPPO launches ‘Kash’ mutual fund platform, offers Systematic Investment Plan from Rs100
- OPPO announced its foray into financial services with ‘OPPO Kash’ that offers users to invest in mutual funds, along with free credit reports, personal loans up to two lakh, business loans up to 2 crore and screen insurance.
- Sumit Walia, Vice President, OPPO.
RBL Bank, Zomato and Mastercard partner to launch co-branded credit cards
- Zomato announced the launch of a co-branded credit card along with RBL and Master Card. It will help the online food delivery platform further cement its position in India’s dining market by offering benefits such as Zomato credits on purchases.
- Vishwavir Ahuja,Managing Director & CEO of RBL Bank.
Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu claims victory in general elections
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has claimed victory in the general elections. Exit polls indicated that Mr Netanyahu is in a strong position to form the next government.
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: Israeli Shekel
- Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
Publicis appoints Unny Radhakrishnan as Digitas India CEO
- Publicis Groupe India announced the appointment of Unny Radhakrishnan as chief executive of its digital agency Digitas India. He will take over the role from Amaresh Godbole who is joining Google.
- Unny Radhakrishnan comes with over 20 years in the digital marketing, consulting and technology.
Aegon Life Insurance appoints Naveen Bachwani as Chief Operating Officer
- Aegon Life Insurance announces the appointment of Naveen Bachwani as its chief operating officer.
- Bachwani is expected to drive digital transformation, product development and operations. He will be based out of the corporate office in Mumbai.
- Naveen Bachwani previously worked with the Edelweiss Group.
Mindtree appoints former Accenture executive Dayapatra Nevatia as COO
- Bengaluru-based IT firm Mindtree has appointed Dayapatra Nevatia as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the company effective Monday, March 2, 2020.
- Before joining Mindtree, Nevatia worked in Accenture as managing director and director of delivery for advanced technology centres in India.
- Mindtree co-founders Rostow Ravanan, Krishnakumar Natarajan and NS Parthasarathy had resigned from their position as board of directors.
Former General Electric CEO Jack Welch dies at 84
- Jack Welch, the former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of General Electric who led the company for over two decades, has died at the age of 84.
- He took GE’s revenue from under $30 billion when he took over in 1981 to $130 billion by 2000.
Uttar Pradesh MLA Virendra Sirohi passes away at the age of 73
- Uttar Pradesh BJP MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly) Virendra Singh Sirohi from Bulandshahr passed away at the age of 73 in New Delhi.
- He also served as Revenue Minister from 1997 till 2002 in the Mayawati-led state government in Uttar Pradesh.
World’s oldest man Chitetsu Watanabe passes away
- World’s oldest man, Chitetsu Watanabe of Japan, has passed away at 112. He was born on March 5th, 1907.
- He received his Guinness World Record certification on February 12, 2020. With the death of Chitetsu Watanabe, Britain’s oldest man, Bob Weighton, who is 111, has now become the oldest person in the world.
Veteran historian Dr S Shettar passed away
- Veteran historian Dr S Shettar recently passed away in Bengaluru, at the age of 85. He taught history in many universities for more than twenty-five years.
FIH rankings: Indian men’s hockey team climbs to fourth position:
- Indian men’s hockey team has climbed to the fourth position, their highest since the inception of the FIH (International Hockey Federation) world rankings in 2003, in the recently released chart.
- World champions Belgium remains in Top position, with Australia 2nd and the Netherlands 3rd also holding their positions in the top three.
- In the women’s list, India occupies the ninth spot. The Netherlands is at the top followed by Australia, Argentina, Germany and England.
International Hockey Federation:
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Narinder Batra
Tasnim Mir, Mansi Singh win bronze at Yonex Dutch Junior International:
- Shuttlers Tasnim Mir & Mansi Singh won a bronze medal each in the girls’ singles Badminton event at the Yonex Dutch Junior International 2020.
- It was the 1st time India won two bronze medals in girls’ singles at this BWF Junior International Grand Prix tournament.
- The event held at Haarlem, Netherlands.
Azlan Shah Cup Hockey Tournament postponed from April to September due to Coronavirus:
- Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament has been postponed from April to September this year in the wake of the novel coronavirus outbreak across the world.
- In a statement, the organisers said, the tournament which was scheduled to be held in Ipoh, Malaysia from April 11 to 18, will now be held from September 24 to October 3.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 3, 2020, now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.