DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: March 4, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (March 4, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Hearing Day was observed on March 3, 2020
- World Hearing Day (WHD) is observed annually on 3rd March by the Office of Prevention of Blindness and Deafness of the WHO (World Health Organization) to raise awareness on how to prevent deafness and hearing loss.
- The day is being observed since 2007 and before 2016 it was known as International Ear Care Day.
- Theme of WHD 2020: “Hearing for life: Don’t let hearing loss limit you”.
President of India to confer National Lalit Kala Akademi Awards to 15 artists in New Delhi:
- Lalit Kala Akademi’s 61st annual awards will be conferred by President Ram Nath Kovind to 15 artistes at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. Minister of Culture Prahlad Singh Patel and Akademi chairman Uttam Pacharne will also be present at the ceremony.
- Lalit Kala Akademi awards are given to recognise the outstanding work in the field of art.
- National Academy of Art, New Delhi was set up as an autonomous body, on 5th August 1954.
Advisor Farooq Khan lays foundation stone of Mini Secretariat, Employment Complex in Jammu
- Jammu and Kashmir Lt. Governor Farooq Khan laid the foundation stone for Mini Secretariat, Employment Complex, at Toph Sherkhaniya, Jammu.
- He said that this complex will be beneficial for the unemployed youth of J&K who will get proper counselling regarding different avenues of employment.
- The building will have proper counselling and training centre for the youth and different agencies like Jammu & Kashmir Entrepreneurship Development Institute (JKEDI) and others will also train youth under different schemes and programmes.
Pune to host 108th Indian Science Congress annual session in 2021:
- Indian Science Congress association (ISCA) announced that Pune will host the annual session of 108th Indian Science Congress on January 3-7, 2021 at Symbiosis International University’s Lavale campus.
- Theme:” Science and Technology for Sustainable Development with Women Empowerment”.
Airport Authority of India & Tripura Govt sign MoU for construction of equipment hiring centers:
- Airport Authority of India & Tripura State Government has signed a memorandum of understanding for the construction of 6 equipment hiring centres in Manu Block under the Dhalai District, Tripura.
- The project has been taken by the Airport Authority as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility scheme. The equipment hiring centres, equipment related to agriculture, animal husbandry and fisheries will be kept.
- The types of equipment will be rented out to the needy farmers, Self Help Groups and to any other needy at a minimal cost. The project will be benefited to 6000 families.
National Chambal sanctuary declared as eco-sensitive zone
- National Chambal sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh has been declared as an eco-sensitive zone by the central government. The decision to declare the area as an eco-sensitive zone will prohibit the construction of hotels or resorts within an area of 0-2 km from the sanctuary.
- The Project is managed by the Wildlife wing of UP Forest Dept.
Rs. 4,807 Cr deposited into bank accounts of 7.65 lakh farmers under farm loan waiver scheme: Maharashtra CM
- Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray has informed that Rs. 4,807 Cr have been deposited into the bank accounts of 7.65 lakh farmers under the Mahatma Phule farm loan waiver scheme. Over 35 lakh farmers have uploaded their information on the scheme portal.
- Accounts are to be linked with Aadhar for the waive off.
35th edition of AAHAR, Food and Hospitality fair, begins in New Delhi:
- 35th edition of AAHAR – the Food and Hospitality fair began in New Delhi. This five-day-long fair is being organized by India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO), with support of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Agriculture and Processed Food Products Development Authority and several apex industry associations.
- India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) Chairman- LC Goyal.
Prime Minister expresses happiness about increased registration in ISRO’s YUVIKA 2020:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed happiness that Indian Space Research Organisation, ISRO’s Young Scientist Programme YUVIKA 2020’s registration has gone up to 1 lakh 53 thousand from 74 thousand.
- Mr Modi said, youngsters, showing such interest in science, innovation and space technology is an encouraging sign.
Setu Bharatam scheme: All level crossings on National Highways to be replaced by Over Bridges or Road Under Bridges
- Government has envisaged replacement of all the level crossings on National Highways by Road Over Bridges/ Road Under Bridges under the Setu Bharatam scheme.
- Road Transport & Highways Ministry is implementing the scheme to ensure safe & smooth flow of traffic.
- Scheme also aimed at reducing road fatalities by 50% by 2020.
Uttar Pradesh Government provides Rs 900 per month to farmers willing to keep stray cattle:
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announced that his government will pay Rs 900 per month to farmers willing to keep stray cattle.
- The Issue Earlier in 2019, the farmer protests in Uttar Pradesh had gone up over stray cattle destroying their fields. The population of stray cattle in the state increased as the UP Government had banned illegal animal slaughtering in the state.
Centre has approved highways projects worth Rs 2,185 Cr for Puducherry
- Centre has approved road & highways development projects worth Rs 2,185 Crore for Puducherry. Centre has approved development of highways & introduction of four-way lanes linking the UT with important segments.
- Puducherry Chief Minister- V Narayanasamy.
Minister of State Gangwar launches Humsafar mobile app for doorstep diesel delivery:
- Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar, Minister of State (MoS- Independent charge) for Labour & Employment, launched ‘Humsafar’ mobile application in New Delhi, which delivers diesel to doorstep of bulk users.
- The app will be used for the fuel delivery services to housing societies, hotels, hospitals, malls, construction sites, industries, banquets & other bulk buyers of the diesel in various cities, including Gurugram, Ghaziabad, Noida, Faridabad, Hapur, Kundli, Manesar & Bahadurgarh.
Tamil Nadu CM Palaniswami launches Tamil Nadu Health System Reform Programme:
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami launched the Tamil Nadu Health System Reform Programme (TNHSRP) in Chennai. The Programme will be implemented with funding support from the World Bank.
- The Programme aims at achieving result-oriented outcomes in healthcare delivery and over a Five-Year Period, aims to improve the quality of care, strengthen the management of non-communicable diseases (NCD) and injuries, and reduce the inequities in reproductive and child health services in the State.
- The total cost of the programme is 2,857.003 crore, of which 1,999.902 crore is being funded by the World Bank.
Rs 16,712 Cr loan sanctioned to women under ‘Stand Up India’ scheme:
- Women account for over 81 per cent of the total beneficiaries under the ‘Stand Up India’ scheme with loans worth Rs 16,712 crore sanctioned for them in nearly 4 years’ time, the finance ministry said. The Stand-Up India scheme was launched on 5 April 2016.
- International Women’s Day is on March 8.
Rs 33 Crore for Kaziranga under Project Tiger scheme:
- Financial assistance to the tune of Rs 1.51 crore has been sanctioned to Kaziranga National Park during the financial years 2018-19 and 2019-2020 under Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA), Change Babul Supriyo said.
- Babul Supriyo is the Minister of Assam for Environment, Forest & Climate.
World Bank announces 12 bn aid package to help countries combat coronavirus outbreak:
- World Bank has unveiled a 12-billion-dollar aid package that will provide fast-track funds to help countries combat the coronavirus outbreak.
- World Bank President David Malpass told reporters that the goal is to provide fast, effective action that responds to country needs. The funds, some of which are targeted to the world’s poorest nations, can be used for medical equipment or health services and will include expertise and policy advice.
Indian American Seema Verma named as key member of coronavirus task force in US:
- Leading Indian American health policy consultant Seema Verma has been appointed as one of the key members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force constituted by US President Donald Trump to combat the deadly disease COVID-9 that has infected many people.
- Task force Head-Health & Human Services Secretary, Alex Azar.
Banking and Technology
NABARD infuses Rs 1.46 lakh crore in rural banking system during current fiscal:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has infused 1.46 lakh crore rupees in the rural banking system during the current fiscal.
- NABARD has said that 66,397 crore rupees have been given in short-term credit and 6,704 crore rupees in long-term credit to rural cooperative banks.
- Regional rural banks have availed 14,141 crore rupees in short-term credit and 8,417 crore rupees in long-term credit. In addition, other banks, including small finance banks, have obtained long-term refinance of 37,895 crore rupees.
Supreme Court quashes RBI’s ban on cryptocurrency
- Supreme Court set aside the complete ban on cryptocurrency imposed by the Reserve Bank of India. The RBI had decided to ban banks from providing services to people or businesses dealing with cryptocurrencies.
- The apex court allowed a plea challenging RBI’s 2018 circular that barred banks from trading in cryptocurrencies.
- A three-judge Bench of Justice Rohinton Fali Nariman, Justice S Ravindra Bhat and Justice V Ramasubramanian allowed the plea of the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) challenging the order.
NBCC gets NCLT nod to acquire Jaypee Infratech
- State-owned NBCC received National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) approval to takeover debt laden Jaypee Infratech, restoring hopes of homebuyers finally getting their promised flats in next four years.
- This development will provide a huge relief to over 20,000 homebuyers across various housing projects launched by Jaypee Infratech (JIL) in Noida and Greater Noida (Uttar Pradesh).
- NBCC (National Buildings Construction Corporation) has proposed to complete over 20,000 pending flats in the next three-and-a-half years.
Sudhanshu Pandey appointed as new CMD of MMTC:
- Sudhanshu Pandey, Additional Secretary at the Department of Commerce, assumed additional charge as CMD (Chairman & Managing Director) of MMTC (Metals & Minerals Trading Corporation).
- He was the successor of Ved Prakash. Pandey currently discharges functions as the Chief Negotiator of India.
Renoned Konkani writer Richard John Pais dies at 51:
- Veteran Konkani writer and dramatist Richard John Paisv recently passed away at the age of 51.
- He has written several short stories, satirical writings and poems in Konkani language.
68th All India Police Athletic Championship kick starts in Haryana:
- 68th All India Police Athletic Championship-2019 began at Bhanu in Panchkula District of Haryana. U
- Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju declared the meet open at Basic Training Centre of ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police).
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 4, 2020, now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.