DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: May 1, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 1, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Labour Day-1 May:
- International Labour Day is observed on May 1st to pay tribute to the contribution of workers across the world. It is also Maharashtra Day & Gujarat Day- on this day in 1960 the 2 states attained statehood after Bombay had been divided on linguistic lines.
- It is also known as Workers’ Day or International Workers’ Day.
Maharashtra, Gujarat celebrates state formation day on 1 May:
- Maharashtra Day and Gujarat Day is celebrated in the Indian states of Maharashtra and Gujarat on 1 May every year. The day commemorates the formation of the state on this day in 1960.
- In 1960, the Bombay Reorganization Act, 1960 was passed by India’s Parliament to divide the multilingual state of Bombay into Gujarat and Maharashtra.
Agra Smart City of UP launched GIS dashboard to monitor COVID-19 hot-spots:
- Agra Smart City created a GIS (Geographic Information Systems ) dashboard to show various hotspots, heat maps, positive cases, recovered cases, etc of COVID-19. This dashboard developed on IGiS platform is an indigenous technology which brings GIS, Image Processing, Photogrammetry & CAD.
Cauvery Water Management Authority brought under the Jal Shakti Ministry: Central government:
- The central government has brought the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA) under the Jal Shakti Ministry, which was earlier under the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- For NIP projects, the Centre would invest 39% of the projected expenditure while states’ share would be 40%, followed by the private sector with 21%.
AYURAKSHA programme was organized for Delhi Police:
- A programme titled AYURAKSHA “Corona Se Jung- Delhi Police Ke Sang” was organized for Delhi Police personnel at New Delhi on 30 April. The programme aims to fight against corona through simple and time tested Ayurveda immunity-boosting measures.
- The AYURAKSHA programme was organized by the All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA), under the Ministry of Ayurvedic, Yoga, and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH) and Delhi Police.
J&K administration inks MoU with Tata Technologies to built 2 CIIT centers:
- The Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) administration has signed an MoU with Tata Technologies limited to set up 2 Centres for Invention, Innovation, Incubation and Training (CIIITs), one each at Government Polytechnic Colleges at Jammu and Baramulla with a cost of Rs 360 crore.
IMD releases new list of upcoming cyclone names over North Indian Ocean:
- The IMD has released 169 new names for the tropical cyclones in the Indian Ocean Region. The names were contributed by 13 countries namely India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Thailand, Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Pakistan, Bangladesh & Iran.
- Indian Meteorological Department is headquartered in New Delhi.
USAID announces 3 million USD to support India’s efforts to combat COVID-19:
- The United States Agency of International Development (USAID), one of the leading aid agency of the government of United States has announced an additional grant of 3 million USD in addition to the 2.9 million USD announced to help India to fight against the COVID-19 pandemic and to fund the PAHAL project, an innovative financial platform.
Banking and Economy
KVGB launched ‘Vikas Abhaya’ loan scheme:
- Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB), a regional rural bank headquartered in Dharwad, has launched a loan scheme “Vikas Abhaya” to provide relief to borrowers whose business activities are disrupted on account of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Chairman of KVGB: P Gopi Krishna.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Manulife picks 49% stake in Mahindra AMC for Rs 265 crore
- Mahindra & Mahindra Financial Services (Mahindra Finance) said global financial services group Manulife has acquired 49 per cent stake in its wholly owned subsidiary Mahindra Asset Management Company. This agreement was announced in June 2019.
- Manulife has invested $35 million to pick up 49% stake.
Science and Technology
SNBNCBS develops Nanomedicine to alter oxidative stress to treat viral infections including COVID-19:
- Scientists at S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata have developed cost-effective nanomedicine that promises treatment of a number of diseases by altering oxidative stress in the body. It may provide hope in India’s fight against COVID-19.
- It can decrease/ increase Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) in body.
Janaushadhi Sugam app to access generic medicine benefits 325000 users:
- “Janaushadhi Sugam” a mobile application developed by the Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India(BPPI) under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India for the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
AIIMS invites advance appointments for tele-consultations
- The All India Institute of Medical Sciences has invited advance appointments for tele-consultations from follow-up patients of the hospital. The follow-up patients can now book advance appointments for tele-consultation by calling the number 9115444155.
- AIMS had started UHID (Unique Health Identification).
Indian Oil names Shrikant Vaidya as new Chairman:
- India’s largest state-run oil refiner & fuel retailer- Indian Oil names Shrikant Madhav Vaidya as Chairman. Currently, he is the director of refineries in the company & will succeed Sanjiv Singh, who demits office on June 30. He is a Chemical Engineer.
- IOC is headquartered in New Delhi.
T S Tirumurti appointed India’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations:
- T S Tirumurti an Indian Foreign Service officer of 1985 currently serving as the Secretary, Economic Relations in the Ministry of External Affairs was appointed as the permanent representative of India to the United Nations at New York, succeeding Syed Akbaruddin following his retirement.
India appoints new Ambassadors to Qatar & Bahrain
- Deepak Mittal has been appointed India’s next Ambassador to Qatar, while Piyush Srivastava goes to Bahrain in the same capacity, as per an official release of Ministry of External Affairs. The new appointees are of the 1998 batch of Indian Foreign Service.
- Capital- Doha.
- Capital- Manama.
Awards and Recognitions
Manipuri doctor Thangjam Dhabali Singh conferred ‘Order of Rising Sun’ by Japan
- Thangjam Dhabali Singh, Manipuri allopathic doctor, was conferred with “Order of Rising Sun- Gold and Silver Rays” by the Japan government for promoting a better understanding of Japan in India and deepening ties between 2 countries.
- Capital– Tokyo.
- Currency– Yen.
- Prime Minister (PM)– Shinzō Abe.
India installs 7.3 GW of solar power in CY 2019 & secures world’s 3rd largest solar market: Mercom
- Mercom India Research has released a data report, India Solar Market Leaderboard 2020, which reveals the solar industry market leaders that emerged during the calendar year (CY) 2019.
- India is the third-largest solar market in the world as per the report.
India ranks 53rd in budget transparency, accountability in IBP survey
- India has been placed at 53rd spot among 117 nations in terms of budget transparency & accountability, according to the Open Budget Survey conducted by International Budget Partnership.
- India’s Budget process bagged a transparency score of 49 out of 100.
- Global average transparency score is 45.
Chhattisgarh tops among other states in providing employment under MGNREGS
- Chhattisgarh has topped the list of states in providing employment to over 18 lakh unskilled labourers under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
- Around 77.85 lakh people are engaged in work under the MGNREGS scheme.
- Chhattisgarh provided employment to 18.51 lakh workers.
Books and Authors
A book titled “The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir” authored by John Bolton:
- A book titled “The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir” authored by John Bolton. The date of the book release has been pushed back from May 12, 2020 to June 23, 2020, on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble bookseller company. The book was published by an American publishing company Simon & Schuster.
Indian football legend and former captain Chuni Goswami dies aged 82
- Former India football captain Chuni Goswami, who led India to the 1962 Asian Games gold, passed away in Kolkata. Goswami played 50 matches for India as a footballer from 1956 to 1964. India finished runners-up in 1964 Asian Cup under his leadership.
Freedom fighter Padma Shri Gandhian Hema Bharali passed away at 101
- Freedom fighter and Padma Shri Gandhian Hema Bharali well known as Freedom Activist, social worker, Sarvodaya leader passed away on 29th April 2020, due to prolonged illness at her home in Guwahati, Assam at the age of 101. She was born in Assam on 19th February 1919.
FIFA launches #WeWillWin campaign for health workers
- Fédération Internationale de Football Association(FIFA), Switzerland based international governing body, has launched a campaign called “#WeWillWin”, a special video to pay tribute to health workers and other professionals who ensure the society continues to function among COVID-19 panademic.
- Former India football captain Bhaichung Bhutia who is also featured among 50 past and present football stars.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.