DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 13, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 13 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
MSME Ministry launches CHAMPIONS portal:
- MSME Ministry has launched CHAMPIONS portal Champions.gov.in, a technology-driven control room-cum-management information system. CHAMPIONS (Creation and Harmonious Application of Modern Processes for Increasing the Output and National Strength).
National infant mortality rate at 32, Madhya Pradesh worst performer:
- According to the data released by the Registrar General of India, the national birth rate in 2018 stood at 20, and death & infant mortality rates stood at 6.2 and 32, respectively. Madhya Pradesh has the worst infant mortality rate while Nagaland has the best.
- Kerala is the only state with an IMR in single digits at 7. It is also the only state which has now achieved the United Nations’ (UN’s) Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) target for IMR reduction, set at eight for the year 2020.
Consumer Affairs dept partners with 2 start-ups to power ‘Suraksha Store initiative’:
- Dept of Consumer Affairs partnered with tech start-ups Safejob and Seekify to use technology to prevent the spread of Covid-19 at the local Kirana stores. The objective is to educate store owners about safety guidelines &protocols to be followed.
- The protocols were decided by FSSAI & MHA.
Jitendra Singh addresses Indo-Bangladesh Virtual Conference organised by ASSOCHAM:
- Union Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Minister of State Independent Charge (I/C) Jitendra Singh addresses the Indo-Bangladesh ‘Virtual Conference’ organised by Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM).
WHO released first “State of the World’s Nursing Report – 2020” stating a global shortfall of 5.9 million nurses:
- Countries facing greatest shortfall of nurses are in Africa, South East Asia and the WHO Eastern Mediterranean region as well as some parts of Latin America.
- One in every eight nurses practices in a country other than the one where they were born or trained.
- The report estimates that countries experiencing shortages need to increase the total number of nurse graduates by on average 8% per year.
World Health Organisation:
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Head: Tedros Adhanom
- Founded: 7 April 1948
NDB provides USD 1 billion loan to India to fight COVID-19 pandemic:
- The Shanghai-based New Development Bank of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) countries have fully disbursed $1 billion emergency assistance loan to India.
- To help it contain the spread of COVID-19 and reduce human, social and economic losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The ‘Emergency Assistance Program Loan’ to India was approved by the NDB Board of Directors on 30 April.
New Development Bank:
- Headquarters location: Shanghai, China.
- President: K. V. Kamath
- Founded: 15 July 2014
Science and Technology:
Vijay Rupani Launches India’s First PPE Kit Seam Sealing Machine In Rajkot:
- Macpower CNC Machines Ltd, a Rajkot (Gujarat) based manufacturer of CNC (Computerized Numerical Control), has made India’s 1st indigenous hot air seam sealing machine used to manufacture personal protective equipment (PPE)
- The make in India machine, manufactured with the guidance of doctors at Indian Medical Association (IMA), was launched by Gujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
China launches 2 satellites to test space-based communications technology:
- China successfully launched two satellites to test the space-based Internet of Things (IoT) communications technology.
- The satellites, Xingyun-2 01 and 02, were launched by a Kuaizhou-1A (KZ-1A) carrier rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwest China.
- The Rocket is developed by an affiliated company of Sanjiang Group under the China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC) used to launch low-orbit small satellites.
IAS officer Manoj Ahuja appointed new CBSE Chairperson:
- IAS officer Manoj Ahuja has been appointed as the Chairperson of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). He will replace Anita Karwal.
Awards and Recognitions:
Anunta won VMware 2020 Regional Partner of the Year Award:
- Anunta received the VMware 2020 Regional Partner of the Year Award for the Services Excellence category.
- Anunta was recognized for its demonstrable achievements using its skills and services capabilities, including consulting, managed, and subscription services, to help customers maximize the value received from their VMware investments.
Actor Shafique Ansari Passes Away in Mumbai:
- Actor Shafique Ansari rose to prominence with his work in several episodes of television show Crime Patrol. The actor resided in Mumbai and passed away after battling with cancer. He was also a member of Cine & TV Artistes’ Association
Former national table tennis champion Manmeet Singh Walia passed away:
- Former national table tennis champion, Manmeet Singh Walia passed away after suffering from a prolonged illness in Montreal, Canada. Manmeet is remembered for his consistent form in the Indian table tennis circuit during the 1980s.
Jerry Stiller, US comedian and Seinfeld actor, dies at 92:
- Jerry Stiller, an actor, comedian and father of Ben Stiller passed away at the age of 92 from natural causes in the United States of America(USA). He was born on June 8, 1927 in New York, United States of America.
FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in India to be held from Feb 17 to Mar 7 in 2021:
- The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup, which was originally scheduled to be held later this year in India, has been moved back to early 2021. Five venues – Ahmedabad, Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Kolkata and Navi Mumbai – had already been finalised.
- Swedish Coach Thomas Dennerby in charge of the Indian team.
- FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association):
- Motto– For the Game. For the World
- Headquarters– Zürich, Switzerland
- President– Gianni Infantino
French cyclist Remy Di Gregorio banned by UCI for 4 years following ‘super-EPO’ positive test:
- Remy Di Gregorio, a French road bicycle racer, has been banned for 4 years by the International Cycling Union (UCI) for using a form of banned blood-boosting hormone EPO (Erythropoietin) during a long-distance trip from Paris to Nice during a doping test on March 8, 2018.
International Cycling Union (UCI):
- Headquarters– Aigle, Switzerland
- President– David Lappartient.
China Wins FIDE Chess.com Online Nations Cup:
- China won the inaugural FIDE Chess.com Online Nations Cup. Their Superfinal with the USA ended 2-2 with China having draw odds for winning the round-robin phase.
- India finished at 5th Co-organized by FIDE and Chess.com, the event had a peak of over a million concurrent viewers across all languages and broadcast partners.
FIDE (Federation Internationale des Echecs):
- Headquarters- Lausanne, Switzerland.
- CEO: Geoffrey D. Borg
- President : Arkady Dvorkovich
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.