DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 14, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 14 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Uttarakhand CM launches ‘ HOPE’, a portal for unemployed youth to get jobs:
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched a portal aimed at creating employment avenues for the trained youth as well as offering them skill development opportunities to increase their employability. HOPE stands for Helping Out People Everywhere.
- It can help employers find human resources as per requirements.Uttarakhand:
- Capital- Gairsain(summer capital), Dehradun (winter capital).
- Chief Minister:Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor- Baby Rani Maurya.
- National Parks- Corbett NP, Gangotri NP, Govind PashuVihar NP, Nanda Devi NP, Rajaji NP, Valley of Flowers NP.
New initiative by Railways and Postal dept for door delivery, pick up of parcels:
- In a first of its kind initiative in the country, the Thiruvananthapuram division of Southern Railways and Postal department in Kerala entered into a tie-up for door delivery and pick up of parcels to help people during the lockdown.
- Sothern Railway Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
KVIC to implement “Vocal for Local” initiative; Issues Guidelines:
- Prime Minister Modi recently announced “Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan”. Under the scheme, around 20 lakh crore rupees have been allocated. Along with the scheme, the Prime Minister also announced “Vocal for Local”.
- The KVIC (Khadi and Village Industries Commission) has come forward to become “Vocal for Local”.
Child, maternal malnutrition leads to 68.2% of under-five deaths: Lancet study:
- Child and maternal malnutrition was the predominant risk factorin India as it attributed to 68·2% of under-5 deaths while low birth weight and short gestation led to 83·0% of neonatal deaths in 2017.
- Highest number of under-five and neonatal deaths in 2017 were reported in Uttar Pradesh followed by Bihar.
- If the U5MR trends estimated up to 2017 were to continue, the projected U5MR for India would be 29·8 per 1000 livebirths in 2025.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Narendra Singh Tomar held meeting Pesticide Manufacturing Industry representatives to prevent locust attacks:
- The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar held a meeting with representatives of the Pesticide Manufacturing Industry through video conferencing to check the strategy to prevent locust attacks on agricultural fields.
- Government of India is taking several measures to ensure uninterrupted sowing and harvesting operations amid lockdown.
Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan re-launched Sambal Yojana for dalits tribals and poor:
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan re-launched Sambal Yojana to strengthen the lives of the poor and Scheduled Caste(SC) and Scheduled Tribe(ST) communities by providing them social security cover, right from birth to death.
- He transferred Rs 41.33 crores to 1903 beneficiaries account.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Centre for Disease Control of the US commits $3.6 million to India:
- To help fight the spread of COVID-19, the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention committed $3.6 million to the Indian govt. The funds are also meant to be used to support the development of Infection Prevention and Control centres of excellence.
- US CDS, a federal agency is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.
India attends SCO meeting through video conference:
- External Affairs Minister of India Shri S Jaishankar represented India at SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization) foreign minister meet. The meet was attended by foreign ministers through video conferencing.
- The preparation of the SCO Summit in St Petersburg, Russia was also discussed. It is scheduled to be conducted on June 9-10, 2020.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Japan’s Nippon Life, AXA eye strategic investment in IndusInd Bank:
- Private lender IndusInd Bank Ltd is in discussions with at least three strategic investors, including Japan’s Nippon Life and Europe’s AXA Group, as the bank plans to raise more than $500 million to shore up its balance sheet, said two people aware of the development.
Science and Technology:
Brakes India gears up to make ventilators to fight Covid-19:
- Part of the TVS Group, Brakes India is manufacturing low-cost automated respiratory assist device ‘Sundaram Ventago’ along with partners like Sundaram Medical Foundation, IIT-Madras, Kauvery Hospital, Madras Medical College and with guidance from MIT, Boston.
Astronomers of the University of Canterbury discovered new one in a million Super-Earth:
- Team of Astronomers at the University of Canterbury(UC),New Zealand, led by Antonio Herrera Martin and Associate Professor Michael Albrow discovered a new rare new Super-Earth planet towards the centre of the galaxy which is one of the planets similar to the size and orbit compared to the Earth.
‘United We Fight’: ICCR’s Musical Creation to Fight COVID-19:
- Bringing together composers, musicians and singers from across India, contributing recordings from homes, Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) unveiled a musical creation “United We Fight”. This song spreads the message of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’.
- ICCR is headquartered in New Delhi.
V Vidyavathi appointed as chief of Archaeological Survey of India:
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) got a new Director-General with the appointment of IAS officer Vidyavathi, according to Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- She will be serving in the rank of Additional Secretary to the Government of India.
- Headquarters of ASI: New Delhi.
Commonwealth Games gold-medallist boxer Akhil Kumar re-inducted into NADA panel :
- Former Commonwealth Games gold-winning boxer Akhil Kumar has been re-inducted into the NADA’s Disciplinary Panel.
- The Arjuna award-winning Olympian is among the most accomplished names in Indian boxing and has also been the government observer for the sport between 2017 and
- National Anti-Doping Agency Director General – Navin Agarwal.
India Moves Up at 74th Rank in Global Energy Transition Index:
- India has moved up two positions to rank 74th on a global “Energy Transition Index” with improvements on all key parameters of economic growth, energy security and environmental sustainability. Sweden has topped the Index for the third consecutive year.
World Economic Forum:
- Headquarters: Cologny, Switzerland.
- Founder and Executive Chairman: Klaus Schwab.
Awards and Recognitions:
Hazaribag’s iconic Sohrai tribal art gets GI tag:
- Jharkhand received the GI tag for its Sohrai – Kohvar art form. Mainly practised by tribal women of remote villages in Hazaribag district, these traditional and ritualistic paintings are made only with naturally available soils of different colours.
- Geographical Indications Registry is headquartered in Chennai.
Telangana’s Telia Rumal given GI tag:
- Telia Rumal is created using the traditional handloom process and not by any other mechanical means. Telia Rumals were worn as a veil by princesses at the erstwhile court of the Nizam of Hyderabad, and as a turban cloth by Arabs in the Middle East.
Former National TT champion Manmeet Singh Walia passed away at 58:
- Former National Table Tennis (TT) champion Manmeet Singh Walia, passed away at the age of 58 in Montreal,Canada. He became the national champion in 1989 when he beat S Sriram in the men’s singles final in Hyderabad.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.