Daily Current Affairs : May 15, 2018
Daily Current Affairs : May 15, 2018
Daily Current Affairs (May 13, 2018) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
President Kovind to inaugurate Global Exhibition on Services-2018:
- President Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate the Global Exhibition on Services-2018 in Mumbai.
- He will also launch 12 champion sectors in services. 25 Indian states and around 100 countries are expected to participate in Global Exhibition on Services, this year, with 625 exhibitors and 500 overseas delegates.
- The event will also feature roundtables and seminars, state investment summits, Business-to-business meetings, exhibition of key services sectors, cultural activities, country and international pavilions, among others.
Centre approves Rs 1,161.17 crores aid to calamity-struck places:
- A High-Level Committee, chaired by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, approved central assistance of Rs 1,161.17 crores to the states of Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Rajasthan and the union territory of Lakshadweep.
- The committee approved an assistance of Rs 480.87 crore for Assam, approved assistance from National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) amounting to Rs 84.60 crore for Himachal Pradesh, Rs 67.40 crore for Sikkim, Rs 2.16 crore for the Lakshadweep and Rs 526.14 crore for Rajasthan.
Smt Smriti Irani Chairs Meeting of Stakeholders on ‘Samarth’- Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector:
- A meeting of stakeholders on Samarth – Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector under the Skill India Mission was held in New Delhi to familiarize the stakeholders about the scheme and its guidelines.
- The meeting was chaired by Union Minister of Textiles, Smt Smriti Zubin Irani. The broad objective of the new scheme is to skill the youth for gainful and sustainable employment in the textile sector covering the entire value chain of textiles, excluding spinning and weaving.
Four states ink MoUs with Centre on health protection mission:
- The states of Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana and Uttarakhand agreed to implement the ambitious national health protection mission, which aims to provide an annual coverage of Rs 5 lakh per family.
- The four states and the Union Territory of Chandigarh inked MoUs with the Union Health Ministry for the implementation of Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Swasthya Suraksha Mission.
- Union Health Minister J P Nadda presided over the MoU signing ceremony at a regional workshop for northern states.
Member of Rajya Sabha from Himachal Pradesh – Jagat Prakash Nadda
Australian breaks world record with Mt Everest summit:
- An Australian climber reached the top of Mount Everest , becoming the fastest person to summit the highest mountain on each of the world’s seven continents.
- Steve Plain conquered Everest 117 days after he reached the peak of Mount Vinson — the highest mountain in Antarctica — breaking the previous seven-summit speed record by nine days.
WHO calls for elimination of trans fat in foods by 2023:
- The World Health Organization wants to eliminate artificial trans fats from the global food supply and has a step-by-step strategy on how to do so by 2023.
- The global health body estimates that every year, trans fat intake leads to over 5,00,000 deaths worldwide from cardiovascular diseases.
- WHO launched an initiative called REPLACE that will provide guidance for all countries on how to remove artificial trans fats from their foods, possibly leading to a worldwide eradication.
BANKING & BUSINESS
Bharti Airtel completes merger with Telenor India
- Telecom major Bharti Airtel Ltd. today completed the merger of the Indian arm of Telenor Communications with itself.
- The deal will enable Airtel to further bolster its spectrum footprint in these seven circles, with the addition of 43.4 MHz spectrum in the 1800 MHz band – widely known as 2G spectrum, but it is now being used for 4G services as well.
- Airtel will now begin integrating Telenor India’s operations across seven circles – Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Maharashtra, Gujarat, UP (East), UP (West) and Assam, the statement added.
Foxconn unit writes off another $40 million in Snapdeal investment:
FIH Mobile, the investment subsidiary of Foxconn Technology Group, the world’s largest contract manufacturing giant, has written off an additional $40 million of its $200 million bet on Gurgaon-based online marketplace Snapdeal.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Rajyavardhan Rathore replaces Smriti Irani as I&B Minister:
- The Union government announced a sudden Cabinet reshuffle and gave Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal the additional charge of Union Finance Ministry.He will hold the portfolio till Arun Jaitley recovers.
- Smirti Irani has been moved out of Ministry of Information and Broadcast and will now be responsible only for the Textile Ministry.
- Her portfolio has been given to Rajyavardhan Rathore who will be at the helm of the Information and Broadcast Ministry with independent charge.
- BJP national vice-president SS Ahluwalia has been made the new Minister of State for Electronics.
International Day of Families Being celebrated on 15th May:
- The International Day of Families is observed on the 15th of May every year.
- The Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993 with resolution and reflects the importance the international community attaches to families
- The theme for this year’s observance is: “Ensuring work family balance”
Margot Kidder, who played Lois Lane in ‘Superman,’ dies at age 69:
Margot Kidder, the vivacious actress who played Lois Lane opposite Christopher Reeve in the Superman movies and then waged a public battle with bipolar disorder, has died, her manager, Camilla Fluxman Pines, confirmed to USA TODAY. She was 69.
Theoretical physicist ECG Sudarshan passes away:
- The world of science has lost an eminent physicist with the passing away of ECG Sudershan, who was nominated for Nobel Prize several times but missed the coveted honour every time.
- His research interests spanned a wide range of fields from particle physics, quantum optics, and quantum field theory to quantum information theory, gauge theories and classical mechanics.
Aspirants can attend the QUIZ for today’s CURRENT AFFAIRS in the exam format from the link that is mentioned below.