DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 30, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 30 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Everest Day:
- International Everest Day is observed on May 29. This day was declared in the memory of Sherpa Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary belonging to Nepal and New Zealand respectively the first summit of Mt Everest on May 29, 1953.
State Health Register to be launched by Karnataka Government:
- Karnataka State Government announced that it will launch a “State Health Register” to collect data of all its citizens. The register is first of its kind in the country.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
Kargil’s first Solar Lift Irrigation Plant inaugurated in Ladakh:
- In Ladakh, Director of Animal, Sheep Husbandry and Fisheries Dr Mohammad Raza inaugurated the first Solar Lift Irrigation Plant of Kargil with five KW Solar Plant and three HP Submersible Pump (Kargil Renewable Energy Agency-KREDA ) at Yak Breeding Farm, Bodh Kharboo keeping in view the protocols of social distancing and Standard Operating Prcedures.
- Capital: Ladakh
- Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
Uttarakhand launches Mukhyamantri Swarozgar Yojana for returnee migrants:
- Uttarakhand chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the Mukhyamantri Swarozgar Yojana.
- The scheme will offer credit facility through nationalised banks, scheduled commercial banks and cooperative banks.
Madhya Pradesh Government creates ‘Rojgar Setu Yojana’ to employ migrant workers:
- State Government has created ‘Rojgar Setu Yojana’ to employ migrant workers, who have come back to the State from other states amid coronavirus-induced lockdown, stated Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Madhya Pradesh Government is preparing database under ‘Swamitva’ scheme:
- Madhya Pradesh Government is preparing a database under the “Swamitva scheme” launched on a pilot basis by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 24th April. The scheme aims to provide land ownership rights to people in rural areas.
- On the basis of the database prepared under this scheme, land rights records and property registers of rural settlements will also be prepared at the panchayat level.
Nirmala Sitharaman chairs 22nd Meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC):
- The meeting also reviewed the current global and domestic macro-economic situation, financial stability and vulnerabilities issues, issues likely to be faced by banks and other financial institutions like Liquidity/Solvency of Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs)/housing finance companies (HFCs) / Micro finance Institutions (MFIs) and other related issues.
Banking and Economy:
RBI stops selling 7.75% govt savings bonds:
- Reserve Bank India stopped selling the 75% (Taxable) government savings bond, the most sought-after investment by retail investors in recent times. With this, options have come down for retail investors, looking for high guaranteed-return products.
- These bonds had a seven-year lock-in period.
RBI slaps penalty on Bank Of India, Karnataka Bank & Saraswat Bank:
- RBI imposed the penalty of 5 cr on Bank of India, Rs. 30 lakh on Saraswat Co-operative Bank Ltd and Rs. 1.20 cr on Karnataka Bank. The RBI has imposed the penalty on the ground of non-compliance with certain provisions of the directions issued by RBI.
Bank of India:
- Headquarters: Mumbai, India
- Non-Exe Chairman: Padmanabhan
- MD & CEO : Atanu Kumar Das
- Tagline: ”Relationship Beyond Banking”
- Headquarters: Mangalore
- CEO: Mahabaleshwara M. S
- Tagline: “Your Family Bank Across India”
Saraswat Co-operative Bank Limited:
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
- Chairman: G E Thakur
- Managing Director: Smita Sandhane
NABARD sanctions Rs 1,050 crore credit support to West Bengal:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned credit of Rs 1,050 crore in the current fiscal so far to West Bengal for benefit of farmers and poor people in rural areas.
- The credit support under Special Liquidity Facility (SLF) will be extended to state cooperative banks, regional rural banks and micro-finance institutions (MFIs).
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD):
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Formation: July 12, 1982
- Chairman: Chintala Govinda Rajulu
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Cisco acquires ThousandEyes for around $1 billion to make deeper push into software:
- Cisco continued its software acquisition spree, announcing the purchase of ThousandEyes, founded by Mohit Lad, whose technology helps companies monitor their network for outages. Cisco has been focused on expanding its portfolio of cloud-based software.
Infosys partners up with Avaloq for digital wealth management services:
- Infosys announced a strategic partnership with Zurich-based software company Avaloq to provide end-to-end (e2e) wealth management capabilities through digital platforms.
- The partnership is meant to offer e2e products and services as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), private cloud or public cloud across the globe to its clients.
Power Finance Corporation board clears RS Dhillon’s appointment as CMD:
- State-run Power Finance Corporation (PFC) under the Ministry of Power announced the appointment of Ravinder Singh Dhillon, currently its Director, as Chairman and Managing Director from June 1 following superannuation of Rajeev Sharma this month.
Capgemini Appoints Aiman Ezzat as its new CEO:
- Capgemini has appointed its Chief Operating Officer Aiman Ezzat as its new Chief Executive Officer. Ezzat will be succeeding Paul Hermelin, Chairman and CEO, the Board of Directors of Capgemini SE.
- Ezzat will succeed Paul Hermelin as CEO after the General Meeting of Shareholders in 2020.
IIT-IIM alumnus S Gopalakrishnan appointed as additional secretary in PMO:
- S Gopalakrishnan a senior Tamil Nadu cadre IAS officer, has been appointed as additional secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office.
- Gopalakrishnan’s appointment was cleared by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He is currently serving at the Ministry of Electronics.
Professor Sonajharia Minz appointed as Vice-Chancellor of Sido Kanhu Murmu University:
- Governor Draupadi Murmu of Jharkhand appointed Sonajharia Minz as vice-chancellor of Sido Kanhu Murmu University (SKMU), Dumka (Jharkhand).
- Draupadi Murmu is also the Chancellor of the universities in Jharkhand. Prof. Sonajharia Minz is a Professor of School of Computer and Systems Sciences in Jawaher Lal Nehru University, Delhi.
Finance Ministry appoints PR Jaishankar managing director of IIFCL:
- Ministry of finance appointed PR Jaishankar as the managing director of the India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL). He has served as the executive director of the National Housing Bank prior to this after the recommendations of Bank Boards Bureau
- Harsha Bangari appointed deputy managing director of Exim Bank.
Boris Johnson appoints Indian-origin Oxford professor as Natural History Museum Trustee:
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson appointed Indian-origin academic Yadvinder Malhi as a new Trustee of the Natural History Museum in London. His appointment has been made in accordance with the UK Cabinet Office’s Governance Code on Public Appointments.
- Malhi is Professor of Ecosystem Science at University of Oxford.
Venkataramani Sumantran appointed as new independent director at Indigo:
- Chairman and Managing Director of Chennai-based Celeris Technologies, Venkatramani Sumantran, is now the independent director at IndiGo. He is also on several advisory and statutory boards in India and abroad. He will hold the post for the next five years.
Awards and Recognition:
TCS Wins Two Stevie Awards for 2019 TCS New York City Marathon App:
- Tata Consultancy Services, a leading global IT service, consulting and business solutions organization, has won two Steviesin the 2020 American Business Awards, the nation’s premier business awards program, for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon app.
Anish Kapoor tops list of ”Most Successful Indian Artists Alive Today 2020”:
- London-based Anish Kapoor, 66, has topped the Hurun India Art List 2020 for the second year. New Delhi-based painter Rameshwar Broota 79, shot up 9 places to second place with sales of Rs 11.89 crores, followed by modernist painter Krishen Khanna, 95, in third place with Rs 6.87 crores.
- The top artists also inlude Raqib Shaw, Arpita Singh, Sakti Burman, Subodh Gupta, Atul Dodiya, Thota Vaikuntam and Jitish Kallat.
SA scientist Quarraisha Abdool Karim wins R10m French prize:
- Acclaimed HIV researcher Professor Quarraisha Abdool Karim, who found that a topical gel could stop many women catching the virus, has been awarded one of France’s top science prizes.
- Abdool Karim won the €500 000 (about R9 577 995) Christophe Merieux Prize for her work for the Durban-based Centre for the AIDS Programme of Research in South Africa (Caprisa), which she heads.
Ajit Jogi, First Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, Dies At 74:
- Ajit Jogi, the former Congress leader, who became the first Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh when the state was born in 2000, has passed away after being hospitalized for three weeks. He was a Veteran Indian Police Service and Indian Administrative Service.
Veteran lyricist Yogesh passed away at 77:
- Veteran lyricist Yogesh Gaur who penned the famous ‘Kahin Door Jab Din Dhal Jaaye’ and ‘Zindagi Kaisi Hai Paheli” in “Anand”, passed away. He was 77. Known by his first name in film circles, Yogesh was a prominent lyricist in ’70s Hindi cinema.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.