DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 29, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 29 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of UN Peacekeepers: 29 May
- International Day of UN Peacekeepers is celebrated every year on 29 May. On this day, UN commemorates peacekeepers. People pay tribute to all the women and men who have served as military, police or civilians in UN Peacekeeping programs and operations.
- The Theme for 2020 is “Women in Peacekeeping: A Key to Peace”.
World Digestive Health Day- May 29:
- World Digestive Health Dayis celebrated every year on 29th May. It was launched in 2004 to mark the 45th anniversary of the creation of the World Gastroenterology Organisation.
- The theme for the World Digestive Health Day 2020 campaign is “Gut Microbiome: A Global Perspective.”
Nirmala Sitharaman launches free instant PAN card facility through Aadhaar:
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman formally launched the facility for instant allotment of PAN card using Aadhaar-based e-KYC.
- The facility is now available for all those Permanent Account Number (PAN) applicants who possess a valid Aadhaar number and have a mobile number registered in the UIDAI.
Andhra Pradesh government launches web portal for educational institutes to upload details:
- Andhra Pradesh has launched a web portal on schools and colleges will have to upload details regarding their infrastructure and other facilities.
- Student’s parents may visit the institutes and complain if the facilities provided do not match the information provided.
- Decided during the ‘Our Governance, Your Suggestion’
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Himachal Pradesh to launch portal for registration of returnees who lost jobs:
- The cabinet headed by Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched of a portal for registration of people who returned to the state due to job-loss and are either in need of employment or upgrade of skills and decided to formulate a scheme for working capital requirements.
- Chief Minister:Jai Ram Thakur
- Governor:Bandaru Dattatreya
Uttar Pradesh government to develop 800 km roads as Herbal roads:
- Uttar Pradesh government will develop 800 km roads as Herbal roads in the state. These herbal roads will have medicinal and herbal trees on both sides.
- Deputy Chief Minister and state PWD minister of state Keshav Prasad Maurya stated that these herbal roads will have trees like like Peepal, Neem, Sehjan along with other herb varieties like brahmi, ashvagandha and jatrofa.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
‘Hunar Haat’ to restart from Sept 2020 with theme “Local to Global”:
- Flagship programme of Ministry of Minority Affairs ‘Hunar Haat’ will restart with the theme of “Local to Global” from September 2020.
- It is a platform for artisans and craftsmen from various parts of the country to showcase their art and craft and provides employment and employment opportunities to more than five lakh Indian artisans, craftsmen, culinary experts and other people associated with them in the last five years.
CIPET renamed as Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering &Technology:
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology (CIPET) was renamed as Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering and Technology. CIPET is a premier national institution under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India (GOI).
ADB and India sign $177 million loan to upgrade roads in Maharashtra:
- Asian Development Bank and the Government of India signed a $177 million loan to upgrade 450 kilometres of state highways and major district roads in the state of Maharashtra. This could improve the connectivity between rural areas and urban centres.’
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Asian Development Bank:
- Founded- 19 December 1966
- Headquarters- Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- President- Masatsugu Asakawa.
- Membership– 68 countries
Archaeological Survey of India discovers 9th century sandstone Shiva linga in Vietnam:
- Archaeological Survey of India recently discovered a monolithic sandstone Shiva linga from 9th century CE, during an ongoing conservation project at My Son, a cluster of abandoned & partially ruined Hindu temples in Quang Nam province in central Vietnam.
Army Commanders’ Conference commences in New Delhi:
- The Army Commanders’ Conference has commenced in New Delhi. It is an apex level biannual event that was earlier scheduled to be held in April 2020, but was postponed due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- In the first phase of Army Commanders’ Conference, the apex level leadership of Indian Army will deliberate on various aspects pertaining to operational and administrative issues including studies pertaining to logistics and human resources.
Banking and Economy:
NPCI launches AI virtual assistant PAi to create product awareness:
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), as an initiative to improve digital financial inclusion, launched an Artificial Intelligence (AI) based chatbot, PAi, to create awareness around its products like FASTag, RuPay, UPI, AePS on a real-time basis.
- PAi is developed by Bengaluru based startup CoRover Pvt Ltd.
Fitch forecasts India’s GDP growth rate to contract 5% in FY21:
- Amid Novel Coronavirus pandemic, rating agency Fitch Ratings has released its its latest Global Economic Outlook (GEO). In its Global Economic Outlook, the rating agency has forecasted the GDP growth rate of the world and individual countries.
FDI in India jumps 13% to record $ 49.98 bn in 2019-20:
- Foreign direct investment in India grew by 13% to a record of $ 49.97 billion in the 2019-20 FY. Foreign direct investment in India grew by 13% to a record of $ 49.97 billion in the 2019-20 financial year. Singapore emerged as the largest source of FDI.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Apple buys machine learning specialist Inductiv to bolster Siri, AI projects:
- Adding to a mounting number of AI-related acquisitions, Apple recently purchased Ontario-based Inductiv to work on Siri and machine learning initiatives. Inductiv developed a system that relies on AI to automatically identify and correct errors in data.
Vakrangee ties up with LIC for micro insurance products:
- Vakrangee Ltd has tied up with Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to distribute micro insurance products in unserved and underserved areas through its centres across the country.
ITC ties up with Amway to expand distribution network of its immunity-boosting products:
- Leading FMCG player ITC has tied up with Amway India with a focus on products in the health and nutrition space. It has been kicked-off with the launch of ‘B Natural+’ fruit beverage range, developed by ITC, and positioned in the immunity-boosting space.
Science and Technology:
RIL launches WhatsApp chatbot to answer rights issue queries:
- Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) has launched a “WhatsApp chatbot” to address rights issue queries of its 6 million shareholders on the offering. With a task of executing massive Rs 53,125 crore rights issue amid a nationwide lockdown, RIL has turned to WhatsApp Chatbot which has been developed by Jio Haptik Technologies.
IRDAI member Nilesh Sathe appointed NHAI finance advisor:
- Nilesh Sathe former IRDAI member and veteran Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) has joined National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) as Financial Advisor.
National Highways Authority of India (NHAI):
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Chairman: Sukhbir Singh Sandhu.
Jonathan Karp Promoted to CEO of Simon & Schuster:
- Jonathan Karp, who has worked with authors ranging from Sen. Edward Kennedy to Susan Orlean, has been named the new CEO of Simon & Schuster.
- Karp joined the company in 2010 and served as the president and publisher of Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing. He replaces Carolyn Reidy who passed away recently.
Banks Board Bureau selects SN Rajeswari as CMD of Oriental Insurance Company:
- SN Rajeswari general manager of New India Assurance(NIA),has been selected by the Banks Board Bureau (BBB), as the CMD of the Delhi based Oriental Insurance Company(OIC).
- AV Girija Kumar CMD, OIC, is retiring this month end after reaching 60.
Wipro appoints Capgemini’s Thierry Delaporte as new CEO and MD:
- Wipro has appointed Thierry Delaporte as its chief executive officer and managing director to replace outgoing Abidali Neemuchwala.
- Delaporte, who was the chief operating officer of Capgemini, becomes the second member from the French IT giant to head an Indian IT services provider after Infosys CEO Salil Parekh.
Mohit Gupta appointed as co-founder of Zomato:
- Ant Financial-backed food delivery unicorn Zomato has elevated Mohit Gupta CEO of its food delivery business, as its co-founder.
- Prior to joining Zomato in 2018, Gupta was with online travel giant MakeMyTrip for over a decade. He has also had a long stint with PepsiCo International, among other places.
M P Veerendra Kumar dies at 84:
- M P Veerendra Kumar, the Managing Director of Malayalam daily Mathrubhumi and a member of PTI’s Board of Directors, passed away. Veerendra Kumar, a Rajya Sabha MP from Kerala and a former union minister.
FIFA and WHO launch campaign to help domestic violence victims amid coronavirus lockdown:
- FIFA and World Health Organization (WHO) and the European Commission have announced the #SafeHome campaign designed to support women and children at risk of domestic violence during the coronavirus pandemic.
Sri Lanka suspends fast bowler Shehan Madushanka:
- Sri Lanka fast bowler Shehan Madushanka has been suspended from all forms of cricket with immediate effect after he was arrested for alleged possession of illegal drugs (heroin).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.