Daily Current Affairs: November 10 & 11, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (November 10 & 11, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 10 & 11, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
World Science Day for Peace and Development- November 10:
- World Science Day for Peace and Development is celebrated each year on November 10 to highlight the important role that science play in society and the need to engage the wider public in debates on emerging scientific issues.
- The Day was proclaimed by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 2001 and celebrated for the first time in 2002.
- Theme: “Science for and with Society in dealing with the Covid-19”
National Education Day- November 11:
- National Education Day is celebrated on November 11 every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the first education minister of independent India.
- The day was announced by the Ministry of Human Resource Development on 11 September 2008.
Lung Cancer Awareness Month:
- Lung cancer is the most common cancer worldwide and Lung Cancer Awareness Month is observed during the entire month of November every year.
- This November join LCFA to raise awareness of the need for more research and better community awareness of this disease.
Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri to inaugurate 13th Urban Mobility India Conference 2020:
- Minister of State (IC) Housing and Urban Hardeep S. Puri inaugurates 13th Urban Mobility India (UMI) Conference. It was organized by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. The day-long Conference was held via Video Conference on the theme “Emerging Trends in Urban Mobility”.
- The primary objective of the conference is to disseminate information to the cities, whose officials attend the conference to help them keep up-to-date with latest and best urban transport practices globally.
Assam’s Tezpur Litchi Gets GI Tag:
- The succulent litchi (Litchi Chinensis) of Tezpur that are well-known in Assam has now received the Geographical Indication (GI) tags. The GI Tag to Tezpur Litchi made it an incontrovertible proof of their origin in Assam. The GI tag prevents the production of Tezpur Litchi from other places.
- Tezpur Litchi has got the GI tag under Horticulture Products(Fruits) – Litchi in the class 31. This registration is valid upto 28th August 2023.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park or Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park, Dehing Patkai Wls.
PM Modi laid foundation for various development projects in Varanasi worth Rs 614 crore:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated and laid the foundation for 30 development projects in his parliamentary constituency Varanasi. The total cost of these projects is around Rs. 614 crore. All these development projects are related to the agriculture, tourism and infrastructure sectors.
Arunachal Pradesh’s Pakke Tiger Reserve to provide insurance cover against COVID-19 for its ‘Green Soldiers’:
- Pakke Tiger Reserve (PTR) in Arunachal Pradesh has become the first reserve from the Northeastern region to provide insurance cover against COVID-19 for its ‘Green Soldiers’.
- The insurance amount has been paid by the ‘Wildlife Trust of India’ (WTI) with support from ‘Foundation Serge’. Each of the worker will get an insurance coverage is of Rs 1 lakh; but a few who would be retiring soon have been insured for Rs 50,000.
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: B.D. Mishra.
V.P.Singh Badnore launched App for monitoring of wildlife rescue in UT Chandigarh:
- Governor of Punjab & the Administrator, UT Chandigarh V.P.Singh Badnore has launched the Mobile Based Application (App) for monitoring of wildlife rescue, reporting and release of the wildlife through online system, in Punjab Raj Bhawan, Chandigarh. This Mobile App works on all Android supporting smart phones.
- The app provides a platform to share the information regarding injured and distressed wildlife to the concerned authorities.
Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat Inaugurates Dobra-Chanthi Suspension Bridge in Tehri-Garhwal:
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the 725-metre long Dobra-Chanthi suspension bridge in Tehri-Garhwal district. It is the longest motorable single lane suspension bridge in India. It has been built at a cost of Rs 2.96 crores.
- Trivendra Singh Rawat launched free high-speed WiFi services for all government colleges and universities in the state. With this Uttarakhand becomes the first state in the country to provide free internet to all government colleges and universities.
- Capital: Gairsain (summer capital), Dehradun (winter capital).
- Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor: Baby Rani Maurya.
- National Parks- Corbett NP, Gangotri NP, Govind PashuVihar NP, Nanda Devi NP, Rajaji NP, Valley of Flowers NP.
Manipur introduces award for civil servants to promote good governance:
- Manipur introduced “Scheme for Chief Minister’s Award for Good Governance” to recognise and reward innovative and extraordinary work done by government officials that promotes good governance.
- Under the scheme, government servants will be rewarded for outstanding and exemplary performance and projects whose qualitative and quantitative outcomes are of a very high order and which have benefitted a large number of citizens and stakeholders.
- Capital: Imphal
- Chief Minister: N. Biren Singh
- Governor: Najma Heptulla.
Nagaland’s Hornbill Festival will be celebrated virtually in 2020:
- Nagaland’s popular Hornbill Festival, annually held from December 1 to 10, will be organised virtually this year owing to the COVID pandemic. The Nagaland state government earlier attracted criticism after its tourism department issued a notification, asking other departments to initiate preparations for the festival.
- Capital: Kohima
- Chief Minister: Neiphiu Rio
- Governor: R N Ravi.
Tamil Nadu CM K Palaniswami launches mobile Amma Canteens to cater better to working classes:
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami has made inauguration of three mobile Amma Canteens. the mobile Amma Canteens will help in offering food at a subsidized price in the city.
- The Canteens will be in working between 7 AM and 10 AM during morning time and it will offer idly and Pongal on the cost of Rs 1 and Rs 5 respectively.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit.
- National Park: Mukurthi NP, Guindy NP,Gulf of Mannar Marine NP, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) NP, Mudumalai NP.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman attends 1st BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Meeting:
- Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the 1st BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) meeting under the BRICS Russian Chairmanship.
- The agenda of the meeting included discussions on the outcomes of G20 Saudi Presidency in 2020, a digital platform to encourage infrastructure investments and expansion of the membership of the New Development Bank.
Nepal President Bidhya Devi Bhandari releases special anthology ‘My Understanding on Gandhi’:
- Nepal President Bidhya Devi Bhandari released an anthology on Mahatma Gandhi- My understanding about Gandhi at Kathmandu in the presence of Indian Ambassador Vinay Mohan Kwatra. It was brought out by Embassy of India along with BP Koirala India-Nepal Foundation.
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Napalese Rupee
- Prime Minister: KP Sharma Oli
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari.
International Bird Festival to be Organised in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh in February 2021:
- Uttar Pradesh Forest and Environment Minister Dara Singh Chauhan announced that the International Bird Festival will be organised in Gorakhpur district of Uttar Pradesh in February 2021.
- Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Zoological Park and Ramgarh Lake were declared the first notified wetland of the state.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
India and Maldives Sign Four MoUs During Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardha Shringla’s Visit:
- India and Maldives signed four Memoranda of Understanding MoU on the Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP) with the Maldivian Foreign Affairs Minister Abdulla Shahid. The MoU stated that India is an “Undisputed First Responder, The Best of Friends, An Invaluable Partner” of Maldives.
- Capital: Male
- Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa
- President: Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
IIT Guwahati launches Australia-India Water Centre along with University of Western Sydney:
- Australia-India Water Centre (AIWC) has been inaugurated virtually through a Webinar recently to promote water-related research, teaching, and training between the two countries. The Water Centre will be led by University of Western Sydney from Australia and IIT Guwahati from India.
- A Five year MoU has been signed to establish an understanding of cooperation for the Australia India Water Centre (AIWC) between the parties.
Guadalajara named World Book Capital 2022 by UNESCO:
- Mexican city of Guadalajara was named World Book Capital 2022 by DG of UNESCO, Audrey Azoulay, on recommendation of World Book Capital Advisory Committee & representatives of International Publisher’s Association, International Federation of Library Associations.
Banking and Economy:
Karnataka Bank launches national common mobility debit card for contact-less usage:
- Karnataka Bank Ltd has launched National Common Mobility Debit Card. This Rupay card is a contactless debit-cum-prepaid and interoperable transport card.
- Users can make payments without inserting the card at PoS terminals. Payments can be made at toll plazas, metro transits, parking lots, retail outlets and smart cities with the help of this card. The card’s wallet supports small-ticket size offline payments through the value stored in the card.
- Headquarters: Mangalore
- CEO: Mahabaleshwara M. S
- Tagline: “Your Family Bank Across India”.
Bank of Baroda rolls out a well-being programme Employee Assistance Program” for its employees:
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) has introduced an ‘Employee Assistance Program’ in association with EAP-India to help its employees to deal with their personal problems and professional issues through psychological counselling and consulting 24×7.
- This program initially as a pilot project in Mumbai Zone and its corporate office. This 24×7 service is “Safe, Non-Judgmental, And Highly Confidential” and can be availed not only by the employees but their family members too.
Indian Overseas Bank seeks about Rs 1,000 crore capital support from government:
- Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) has sought a capital support of about Rs 1,000 crore from the government in order to create buffer for any exigency.
- The state-owned lender IOB has posted profit for the last three consecutive quarters, expects to continue the trend in the remaining part of the current fiscal year with increased focus on recovery and business pick up.
Indian Overseas Bank (IOC):
- Headquarters: Chennai
- CEO: Partha Pratim Sengupta.
SEBI introduces Flexi-Cap Fund category for Mutual Funds:
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) introduced Flexi- Cap Fund category, providing relief to mutual funds after issuing new rules for Multi-Cap funds in September.
- Under the new category, the scheme should have a Minimum Investment of 65 percent of total assets in equity and equity-related instruments, while it is an open-ended dynamic equity scheme investing across large-cap, mid-cap, small-cap stocks.
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharshtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi.
Bharti AXA General Insurance launches cancer awareness drive ‘CancerSendsNoNotifications’ on social media:
- Bharti AXA General Insurance has launched “CancerSendsNoNotifications” campaign on Social Media on account of the National Cancer Awareness Day (November 7) a special initiative to increase awareness and spread knowledge on detecting the disease early among people in India.
- The campaign encourages individuals to prioritize and protect their health and life with the right precautions.
Amex partners Mobikwik to issue ‘MobiKwik Blue American Express Card’ with flexible credit limit:
- Card network American Express (Amex) has tied up with homegrown fintech company Mobikwik to issue its first prepaid payments card with flexible credit limit.
- This launch makes MobiKwik the first non-bank issuer of Amex Cards in India. Amex is an investor in MobiKwik, this marks its entry into the pre-paid Cards space through its network business. As a non-bank, MobiKwik cannot issue Credit Cards.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Saudi Arabia’s PIF to invest Rs 9,555 crore in Reliance Retail:
- Public Investment Fund (PIF) of Saudi Arabia has proposed to invest Rs 9,555 crore ($1.3 billion) for an equity stake of 2.04 per cent in Reliance Retail Ventures Ltd (RRVL), a subsidiary of Reliance Industries.
- This investment values RRVL at a pre-money equity value of Rs 4.587 lakh crore ($62.4 billion). This investment will further strengthen PIF’s presence in India’s dynamic economy and promising retail market segment.
Indian astronomers collaborated with Nobel laureate on Thirty Meter Telescope Project:
- Indian astronomers have collaborated with 2020 Physics Nobel Laureate Prof. Andrea Ghez for the design of back-end instruments and possible science prospects of the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) project. It is a proposed Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) which is planned to be installed at Maunakea on the island of Hawaii.
- The TMT project is an international partnership between CalTech, Universities of California, Canada, Japan, China, and India, to revolutionize the understanding of the universe and the enigmas in it.
Tata Consultancy Services to buy Postbank Systems from Deutsche Bank:
- Tata Consultancy Services will acquire 100 per cent stake in Postbank Systems AG (PBS) from Deutsche Bank AG.
- PBS is the full-range captive IT service provider that provides project management, application management and infrastructure support services to Postbank and other subsidiaries of Deutsche Bank. PBS and its around 1,500 employees will become part of TCS.
Bharti Axa General Insurance partners with Airtel Payments Bank to offer car insurance ‘Smart Drive Private Car Insurance’ to its Customers:
- Airtel Payments Bank has announced Smart Drive Private Car Insurance in association with Bharti Axa General Insurance.
- It offers ‘Smart Drive Private Car Insurance’, a comprehensive car insurance for its customer’s financial protection against damage to the vehicle due to accident, theft, and natural and man-made disasters.
- The insurance also compensates for injury or damages to another person or property caused due to a car accident.
- Airtel Payments Bank’s customers can purchase this policy through the Airtel Thanks app.
Airtel Payment Bank:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Anubrata Biswas
- Founded: January 2017.
Bharti Axa General Insurance:
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
- CEO: Sanjeev Srinivasan
Marg ERP and Paytm partners to resolve MSMEs payment issue digitally:
- One of the biggest enterprise solutions providers in India, Marg ERP, with over 50% market share in Pharma and FMCG sector nationally, has come together with Paytm to facilitate seamless transactions for MSMEs.
- Under this joint venture, the duo empowers MSMe using this new integrated payments solution called MargPay developed by MARG ERP Limited. This technological advancement will reconcile payments efficiently in a cost effective manner by enabling MSMEs to keep track of all their receipts and payments made through multiple payment methods.
Science and Technology:
China successfully sends the world’s first 6G communications test satellite into orbit from Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center:
- China has become the world’s first country to have successfully sent the 6G communications test satellite into the orbit from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in the Shanxi Province.
- The 6G satellite was among three Chinese satellites successfully launched into orbit, along with 10 commercial remote sensing satellites developed by Argentinian company Satellogic.
Virgin Hyperloop completes first-ever human trial in hyperloop pod in US:
- Virgin Hyperloop has Successfully completed the first-ever human trial in the hyperloop pod at the DevLoop test facility in the US. Hyperloop is a next-generation travel system that uses pods travelling at high speeds through low-pressure tubes erected on columns using magnetic levitation.
- Two passengers, both company staff, travelled 500 metres in 15 seconds XP-2 vehicle reaching 107 mph (172 km per hour), marking the completion of the first-ever trial.
Ministry of New and Renewable Energy scales up PM-KUSUM scheme goal to 30.8 GW of solar capacity by 2022:
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has announced that in continuation of its order from March 2019, regarding the approval of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Uthaan Mahabhiyaan (PM-KUSUM) scheme.
- MNRE has received sanction from the president for scale-up and expansion of the scheme to achieve enhanced solar capacity of 30.8 GW by 2022 with revised Central Financial Assistance (CFA).
IRDAI sets up panel headed by R Chandrasekaran to revisit retail business of engineering tariff:
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has set up a 9 member working group headed by R Chandrasekaran to revisit the product structures of engineering tariffs relevant to the retail businesses and provide suitable recommendations to revise them.
- The committee will submit the report within 3 months.
Awards and Recognitions:
‘Karkhanisanchi Waari’ is the only Indian film to entry at Tokyo Film Festival:
- Marathi film, Karkhanisanchi Waari (Ashes on a Road Trip), the 149-minute film tells the story of the Karkhanis, the last joint family of Pune.
- The movie was directed by Mangesh Joshi.
- The movie will have its world premiere at the 33rd Tokyo International Film Festival. It is the only Indian entry at the festival.
Tamil Nadu bags ‘Best State’ award for water management at 2nd National Water Award 2019:
- Tamil Nadu has won the “National Water Award” for being one of the best states for water security and management in 2019 presented by the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti, Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- Vellore and Karur districts have been ranked first and second respectively, under the ”Revival of River” sub-category while Perambalur district came second in the Water Conservation category. K Manivasan, PWD Secretary will receive the Best State Award on behalf of Tamil Nadu Government.
Books and Authors:
A Book Titled, “Archaeology and the Public Purpose: Writings on and by M N Deshpande” authored by Nayanjot Lahiri:
- The Book titled “Archaeology and the Public Purpose: Writings on and by M N Deshpande” authored by Nayanjot Lahiri, Professor of History at Ashoka University. The book was published by Oxford University Press (OUP).
- M N Deshpande is a leading Indian archaeologist who became the director-general of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
New Zealand PM Jacinda’s Biography ‘Jacinda Ardern: Leading with Empathy’ Publish by HarperCollins:
- A biography of New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern ‘Jacinda Ardern: Leading with Empathy’ will be published next year which will explore the influences that have shaped her and made her a leader with a different way of doing things.
- HarperCollins Publishers India has announced the acquisition of book, which will be authored by Supriya Vani and Carl A Harte.
Azim Premji tops EdelGiveHurun India Philanthropy List 2020; Mukesh Ambani ranks third:
- Azim Premji, the founder-chairman of Wipro Ltd has topped the 7th Edison of EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020. The EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020 is compiled by the EdelGive Foundation and Hurun Research Institute.
- Shiv Nadar, founder and chairman of HCL Technologies, ranked second (Rs 795 crore) on the list. He topped the list in 2019. India’s richest man and the chairman of Reliance Industries, Mukesh Ambani stood at the third spot (Rs 458 crore).
Kerala On Top, Delhi Near Bottom in New Migrant Policy Index:
- Kerala, Goa, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh have been most successful in integrating migrant workers, while crucial migrant receiving states, including Delhi, have done poorly, shows the Interstate Migrant Policy Index (IMPEX) that seeks to measure integration of interstate migrants.
- India’s average IMPEX 2019 score for 28 states and the Union Territory of NCT Delhi is 37 out of 100, reflecting the limited attention paid to integration efforts in destination states.
Gujarati columnist Father Carlos Gonzalez Valles SJ passes away at 95:
- Veteran author and Gujarati columnist of Father Carlos Gonzalez Valles SJ, popularly known as Father Valles passed away. A Jesuit priest born in Spain, he was a Mathematics teacher in Gujarat. He wrote extensively in Gujarati, English and Spanish.
Former Sikkim CM Sanchaman Limboo passed away at 73:
- Sanchaman Limboo, Former Chief Minister(CM) of Sikkim passed away due to prolonged illness at the Sir Thutob Namgyal Memorial (STNM) Hospital, a state run hospital in Gangtok, Sikkim.
- He was born on January 15, 1947 in West Sikkim district, Sikkim.
Ken Spears, co-creator of Scooby-Doo, passed away at 82:
- American television editor, writer, and producer Ken Spears, who co-created the beloved animated series “Scooby-Doo” has passed away.
- Ken was also the co-founder of television animation production company, Ruby-Spears Productions, along with the late Joe Ruby.
Former Indian football player Satyajit Ghosh passed away at 62:
- Satyajit Ghosh, former football player of India and Mohun Bagan passed away at Bandel, West Bengal due to cardiac arrest.
- The defender represented India in the 1985 Nehru Cup.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of November 10 & 11, 2020 now from the link given below.
Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 10 & 11, 2020
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.