Daily Current Affairs : November 8 & 9, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (November 8 & 9, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 8 & 9, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
International Day of Radiology- November 8:
- International Day of Radiology (IDoR) is observed on November 8 every year. The day is to promote the role of medical imaging in modern healthcare. The day also marks the anniversary of the discovery of x-rays by Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895. World Radiology Day was first celebrated in the year 2012.
- Theme: “Radiologists and radiographers supporting patients during COVID-19”
World Urbanism Day- November 8:
- World Urbanism Day also known as “World Town Planning Day”, is observed on November 8 globally, to recognise and promote the role of planning in creating liveable communities. The day is organised by the International Society of City and Regional Planners (ISOCARP).
National Legal Services Day- November 9:
- “National Legal Services Day” is observed on November 9 every year by all Legal Services Authorities, to commemorate the enactment of the Legal Services Authorities Act 1987. On 11 October 1987, the Legal Services Authorities Act 1987 was enacted, while the act was taking effect on 9 November 1995.
India’s First Solar-Based Integrated Multi-Village Water Supply Project Launched in Arunachal Pradesh:
- Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat dedicated India’s first solar-based Integrated Multi-Village Water Supply Project (IMVWSP) to the people of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The solar-based lift water supply project for 39 villages in Lower Dibang Valley district in northeastern Arunachal Pradesh was commissioned at a cost of Rs 28.50 crore.
Rupsi Airport in Assam ready to start commercial operations from January 2021:
- Rupsi Airport in Assam is ready to commence operations under the ‘Regional Connectivity Scheme’ (RCS). The commercial operations are likely to start from January 2021.
- This airport under the ‘AAI’ (Airports Authority of India) has been re-developed at an estimated cost of Rs 69 crores and has also received its license from the ‘Directorate General of Civil Aviation’. This airport is one of the country’s newest in the RCS route; and will cater to the local population providing direct connectivity to cities like Guwahati and Kolkata.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park or Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park, Dehing Patkai Wls.
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan Holds Policy Consultations with Indian Scientific Diaspora On Science Technology and Innovation Policy -2020:
- Union Minister for Science Technology, Earth Sciences, and Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan chaired the first of its kind policy consultation with the highly-skilled Indian diaspora to facilitate channels for them to contribute to India’s Science Technology and Innovation Policy (STIP) 2020.
- The consultation aims at generating and streamlining key ideas in the making of STIP 2020 and involving the Indian diaspora as one of major stakeholders in the policy formulation process.
Over 1.1 million MSMEs registered on Udyam online system since July:
- As per the government report, over 11 lakh MSMEs have registered on the new online system of Udyam Registration launched in July. Out of these, 3.72 lakh enterprises have registered under manufacturing category whereas 6.31 lakh enterprises under service sector.
- The top five industrial sectors of registrations are food products, textile, apparel, fabricated metal products and machinery & equipment. The five leading states for Udyam registrations are Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat.
Kerala government launches ‘Parivarthanam’ scheme for better livelihood of Fishing Community:
- Kerala government has launched a pioneering eco-sustainable programme called ‘Parivarthanam’. The main aim of Parivarthanam scheme is to improve the livelihood of the fishing community.
- Parivarthanam, which means change, will be spearheaded by Kerala State Coastal Area Development Corporation (KSCADC). The scheme will also guarantee a fixed price to fish-catchers as a fair compensation.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan.
PM Narendra Modi announces Shipping Ministry renamed as Ministry of Ports, Shipping, and Waterways:
- Government of India has decided to rename the Ministry of Shipping as the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways. Mansukh L. Mandaviya, presently holds the portfolio as Minister of State (Independent Charge).
- PM Modi was addressing a gathering after inaugurating a Ro-Pax ferry service between Hazira in Surat and Ghogha in Bhavnagar district, which will reduce the nearly 370 km road distance between the two places to 90 km by sea route.
Gujarat High Court becomes first state apex court to live-stream proceedings on Youtube:
- Gujarat High Court became the first high court in the country to live-stream its court proceedings on Youtube in order to enhance access to courts, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The first day of live streaming saw 1,500 viewers watching the proceedings. Like other high courts, the Gujarat HC has switched to virtual hearings after the Covid lockdown was put in place in March.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- National Park: Blackbuck NP, Vansda NP, Gir Forest NP, Marine NP, Gulf of Kutch.
Atal Innovation Mission and Sirius (Russia) Launch ‘AIM-Sirius Innovation Programme 3.0’:
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), a flagship initiative by NITI Aayog, and Russia’s Sirius (Scientific International Research in Unique Terrestrial Station) has jointly launched ‘AIM–Sirius Innovation Programme 3.0’, a 14-day virtual programme for Indian and Russian schoolchildren.
- It is the first Indo-Russian bilateral youth innovation initiative, which seeks to develop technological solutions, both web-based and mobile–based, for the two countries.
FASTag Made Compulsory for All Four-Wheelers from January 2021:
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has announced that starting 1st January 2021. FASTag will be made mandatory for all four-wheelers across the country. This includes old vehicles, which fall under the ‘M’ and ‘N’ category of motor vehicles (four-wheelers), sold on or before the 1st December 2017.
- Government has made an amendment in FORM 51 (certificate of Insurance), wherein the details of FASTag ID shall be captured. This shall be applicable with effect from April 1, 2021.
Joe Biden declared 46th president of united states and kamala Harris as first female deputy:
- Joe Biden will become the 46th president of the United States while Indian-origin Kamala Harris is the first female Vice-President of the US. Joe Biden is the oldest candidate ever elected to the White House. However, the result now condemns 74-year-old Trump to become the first one-term president since George H. W. Bush at the start of the 1990s.
- Joe Biden got 284 electoral college votes while Trump got 214 votes.
India-Philippines 4th Joint Commission on Bilateral Cooperation:
- The 4th India- Philippines Joint Commission on Bilateral Cooperation was held virtually. The meeting was co- chaired by India’s External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Teodoro Locsin Jr, Secretary, Department of Foreign Affairs of Republic of Philippines.
- The meet saw the discussions on matters of mutual importance and also reviewed the recent developments in India-Philippines bilateral relations.
- Capital: Manila
- Currency: Peso
- President: Rodrigo Duterte.
Piyush Goyal to Address First-Ever Virtual Indo-Africa Summit:
- Union Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal will address the first-ever virtual Indo-Africa Summit.
- The summit, aimed to bring leaders from India and sub-Saharan Africa together while showcasing opportunities for collaboration within finance, geopolitics, infrastructure, pharma, technology and communication, is being organised by the IMC Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IMC) and Africa Business News (CNBC Africa).
Interpol created cybercrime-related communication services:
- International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) has created two secure and flexible services in order to facilitate cybercrime related communication to the law enforcement agencies and other stakeholders. The creation of services would ensure more effective and coordinated action on the basis of timely intelligence.
German Bank KfW extends 545 million Euro funding to MMRDA infra projects:
- Frankfurt-based German state-owned development bank KfW bank has extended two loans totalling over 545 million Euros or Rs 4,767 crore to the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) for infrastructure projects in Mumbai.
- The 34 kilometres long Metro Line 4 will bring north-south connectivity, linking Mumbai to Thane.
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Gunther Braunig.
- Headquarters: Frankfurt, Germany.
Banking and Economy
Fitch Solutions revises India’s fiscal deficit forecast to 7.8 per cent from 8.2 per cent earlier for FY21:
- Fitch Solutions revised its forecast for the central government’s fiscal deficit for the financial year (FY) 2020-21 to 7.8 per cent from its earlier projection of 8.2 per cent. Fiscal revenue forecast in FY21 for central government has been revised to 18.2% decline from the earlier forecast of 18.4%.
- The expenses of the Centre are also expected to rise by only 12.1 per cent in FY21, versus 12.7 per cent previously. Fiscal deficit is known as Difference between total income and expenditure.
NPCI imposes 30% cap on transaction volumes of UPI payment apps:
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) imposed a cap on the share of UPI transactions a single payment application can process. Third-party apps providing payments services via UPI can process a maximum of 30% of transaction volumes starting January 1, 2021.
- The cap will be calculated on the basis of total volume of UPI transactions during the preceding three months (on a rolling basis).
Acquisitions and Mergers
Indigo Seaways signs agreement to operate a RoPax ferry on the Ghogha-Hazira route:
- Surat-based Indigo Seaways Pvt Ltd has signed an agreement to operate a RoPax ferry on the Ghogha-Hazira route that will be virtually be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The tripartite agreement has been signed between Deendayal Port Trust, Gujarat Maritime Board & Indigo seaways. This service will shorten distance between Surat and Bhavnagar to just 60 km.
Science and Technology
ISRO successfully launches EOS01, Nine Foreign satellites from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota:
- India’s PSLV-C49 carrying its latest earth observation satellite EOS-01 and nine customer satellites lifted off from the spaceport. The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C49/EOS-01) blasted off from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Andhra Pradesh.
- The customer satellites launched included four from the United States that are meant for “Multi-Mission Remote Sensing”. Four of the remaining five are from Luxembourg (for maritime applications) and the other is from Lithuania (for technology demonstration).
Union Education Minister announces setting up of Centre of Excellence for Indian Knowledge System at IIT Kharagpur:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, will set up a Centre of Excellence for the Indian knowledge system, the Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank announced while inaugurating the international webinar called ‘Bharata Tirtha’ organised by the institute.
- IIT Kharagpur has attempted to introspect on the spirit of India, her challenges in the present times and taken the right measures through an initiative like Bharata Tirtha and research.
Indian diplomat Vidisha Maitra elected to U.N. Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions:
- Indian diplomat Vidisha Maitra was elected to the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), a subsidiary organ of the General Assembly. The ACABQ consists of 16 members appointed by the Assembly in their individual capacity.
- In the Group of Asia-Pacific States, Maitra, First Secretary in India’s Permanent Mission to the UN, obtained 126 votes.
Indian Oil Corporation Director A K Singh to head Petronet LNG:
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) director-pipelines Akshay Kumar Singh will be the new managing director and chief executive of the country’s biggest gas importer, Petronet LNG Ltd.
- Singh replaces Prabhat Singh who completed his five-year term on September 13.
Awards and Recognitions
Vidya Balan’s short film ‘Natkhat’ qualifies for Oscar nomination:
- Vidya Balan starrer ‘Natkhat’, has won the top prize at the third edition of Best of India Short Film Festival 2020, which makes it eligible for Oscar nomination. She debuted as a producer with the film, plays a homemaker in a patriarchal setup.
- The film has been directed by Shaan Vyas and co-produced by Ronnie Screwvala and Vidya Balan.
Malayalam writer S. Hareesh bags 2020 JCB Prize for Literature:
- S Hareesh for his novel Moustache won the JCB Prize for Literature 2020. It has been translated into English by Jayasree Kalathil & published by HarperCollins India. He will receive 25 Lakh cash prize & the translator will receive an additional ₹10 Lakh.
- The 2020 shortlist comprised five books – Moustache, Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara, Chosen Spirits by Samit Basu, Prelude to a Riot by Annie Zaidi and These, Our Bodies, Possessed by Light by Dharini Bhaskar.
Marathi film ‘Karkhanisanchi Waari’ only Indian entry at Tokyo International Film Festival:
- Marathi film ‘Karkhanisanchi Waari’ (Ashes On a Road Trip) directed by Mangesh Joshi is the lone Indian entry at the 33rd Tokyo International Film Festival.
- The 149-minute film tells the story of the Karkhanis, the last joint family of Pune. It is the only Indian entry at the festival.
Books and Authors
Anupam Kher’s new book titled ‘Your Best Day Is Today!’:
- Veteran actor Anupam Kher unveiled the cover of his latest book “Your Best Day Is Today!”. His previous books are his biography Lessons Life Taught Me Unknowingly & The Best Thing About You is You.
A Book Titled “Thavaasmi: Life and Skills Through the Lens of Ramayana” virtually launched by VP Venkaiah Naidu:
- Vice President of India M. Venkaiah Naidu has launched the book titled “Thavaasmi: Life and Skills through the lens of Ramayana” over a virtual platform.
- Rallabandi Srirama Chakradhar authored the book along with the co-author Amara Sarada Deepthi.
Bollywood Filmmaker Sudarshan Rattan passes away:
- Filmmaker Sudarshan Rattan, who was known for his 1986 film Manav Hatya, starring Madhuri Dixit and Shekhar Suman has passed away due to COVID-19.
- He had also written, directed and produced the 1996 action drama film Hahakaar, starring Sudhir Pandey, Shafi Inamdar, Neelima Azeem and Johny Lever among others.
Daniil Medvedev beats Alexander Zverev to win his first Paris Masters final:
- Russia’s Daniil Medvedev defeated German ace Alexander Zverev 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 to win the Paris Masters making it his eighth career title and third at a Masters event.
- This is Medvedev’s second win against Zverev in seven matches, and his previous victory against the imposing German was also in a Masters final last year in Shanghai.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of November 8 & 9, 2020 now from the link given below.
Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 8 & 9, 2020
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.