Daily Current Affairs: November 17, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (November 17, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Students’ Day – 17 November
- International Students Day is observed on 17 November to focus on availing education for all students and this day aims to ensure that every student has access to education around the globe.
- International Students’ Day was established on 17 November 1939.
National Epilepsy Day – 17 November
- National Epilepsy Day is observed on 17 November every year to educate people and help them understand more about Epilepsy disease, its symptoms and treatment.
- The Epilepsy Foundation of India started a nationwide campaign to reduce the prevalence of this disease in India.
World Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Day – 17 November
- World Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Day or World COPD Day is observed on 17 November to raise awareness about Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), its symptoms and the treatment.
- Theme for 2021: ‘Living well with COPD – Everybody, Everywhere’.
- The first World COPD Day was held in 2002.
International Fraud Awareness Week – 14 November to 20 November
- International Fraud Awareness Week is observed globally in the third week of November. This year (2021) it is observed from 14 November to 20 November.
- This week is observed to raise awareness of fraud through fraud prevention campaigns and education.
- Business leaders and staff are encouraged to take proactive efforts to reduce the effect of fraud by fostering anti-fraud awareness and education during the International Fraud Awareness Week.
Union Power Ministry issues revised guidelines for thermal generation companies to set up renewable energy generation capacity
- Union Ministry of Power and the Union Ministry of New & Renewable Energy have issued revised guidelines for thermal generation companies to set up renewable energy generation capacity either by themselves or through developers by open bids and supplying it to the consumers under the existing power purchase agreement.
- These revised guidelines will enable the replacement of fossil fuel based energy by renewable energy under the existing PPAs.
- Union Ministry of Power and Union Ministry of New & Renewable Energy have revised the relevant norms as a part of the larger efforts to have 500 GW of clean energy generation capacity by 2030.
Uttarakhand builds India’s first grass conservatory in Almora district
- India’s first ‘ grass conservatory ‘ was inaugurated by the research wing of the Uttarakhand Forest Department in Ranikhet of Almora district.
- It is funded under the Union Government’s Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) scheme.
- This initiative intends to raise awareness about the value of grass species, promote conservation and facilitate further grass species study, as research has shown that grasslands are more successful at carbon sequestration than forest land.
- Capital: Dehradun
- Chief Minister: Pushkar Singh Dhami
- Governor: Gurmit Singh
- National Parks: Corbett National Park, Gangotri National Park, Govind Pashu Vihar National Park, Nanda Devi National Park, Rajaji National Park, Valley of Flowers National Park
Arunachal Pradesh declares Kaiser-i-Hind as its state butterfly
- The Arunachal Pradesh Government has declared Kaiser-i-Hind (Teinopalpus imperialis) as the state butterfly.
- This butterfly carries ‘India’ in its name and it is found in Southern China, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal and Bhutan.
- It is a very rare and elusive swallowtail butterfly found at medium and high elevations and flies high in the canopies of broad-leaved temperate evergreen forests and its presence indicates the existence of a good forest ecosystem.
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: D. Mishra
Business & Economy
Kotak Mahindra Bank and PVR Cinemas are set to launch a co-branded debit card
- Kotak Mahindra Bank and PVR Cinemas has announced the launch of India’s first co-branded movie debit card named ‘Kotak PVR Movie Debit Card’.
- Kotak PVR debit card customers will receive joining vouchers and will earn points on every debit card transaction (both at PVR and outside of PVR), with no restriction on the number of points collected. Furthermore, PVR Privilege Plus will be automatically enroled for Kotak PVR debit card holders.
Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- CEO: Uday Kotak
- Tagline: “Let’s make money simple”
IndusInd Bank launches Indus Merchant Solutions application for merchants
- IndusInd Bank has launched a one-stop smartphone application, ‘Indus Merchant Solutions’, application, allows merchants, retailers and professionals to conduct digital banking transactions on a single platform.
- Indus Merchant Solutions will enable merchants and retailers to accept instant cashless payments from customers via multiple digital modes, track inventory via in-built dashboards, apply for an exclusive Point of Sale (PoS) machine to facilitate card-based payments and apply for small ticket business loans from the bank in a completely digital and paperless manner, all without having to visit a bank branch.
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Sumant Kathpalia
- Tagline: ‘We Make You Feel Richer’
HDFC Bank launches the second edition of the ‘Mooh Band Rakho’ campaign to raise awareness on fraud prevention
- HDFC Bank launched the second edition of its ‘Mooh Band Rakho’ campaign in support of the International Fraud Awareness Week 2021.
- HDFC Bank hopes to raise awareness about all forms of fraud and the significance of keeping your lips shut to prevent them through this campaign.
- HDFC Bank will be conducting over 2000 workshops in the next four months across India to help customers understand how they can safeguard themselves against financial fraud.
Agreements and MoUs signed
State Bank of India ties-up with Jamshedpur Football Club to promote Indian football
- State Bank of India (SBI) has entered into a strategic partnership with Jamshedpur Football Club (JFC), a fully owned Tata Steel subsidiary, to promote football in India.
- SBI will be one of the JFC’s main sponsors as a result of this partnership.
- The SBI logo will now appear on the JFC match jersey as a result of the deal.
State Bank of India (SBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Dinesh Kumar Khara
- Tagline: ‘The Banker to Every Indian’
Bangalore International Airport and Microsoft India launch the ‘BIAL Genie ‘Hackathon’ to develop the India application for passengers
- Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) has teamed with Microsoft India to develop an application utilising Microsoft Azure for the ‘BIAL Genie Hackathon’.
- This application will give developers the opportunity to use Microsoft Azure services to improve the passenger experience at all phases of their journey, from planning to boarding to arriving at their destination airport.
World Bank and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) organises ‘WePOWER India Partnership Forum’ to increase workforce participation of women in the energy sector
- World Bank and the Asian Development Bank (ADB), in association with the India Smart Grid Forum (ISGF), organised WePOWER India Partnership Forum to increase the workforce participation of women in the energy sector and to scale up the South Asia Women in Power Sector Professional Network (WePOWER) in India.
- The World Bank, in collaboration with the Asian Development Bank, launched the WePOWER in February 2019.
- WePOWER is a network of 28 energy sector utilities and organisations dedicated to conducting systematic and incremental gender actions to enhance women’s employment involvement in energy projects and utilities, as well as to promote normative change for women and girls in Science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- Headquarters: Washington D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass
- Founded: 1944
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
Awards and Recognitions
Mukundan bags the JCB Literature Prize 2021 for his novel ‘Delhi: A Soliloquy’
- Author Mukundan bagged the JCB Prize for Literature 2021 for his novel ‘Delhi: A Soliloquy’.
- This book has originally been written in Malayalam and was translated into English by Fathima E. V. and Nandakumar K.
- The publisher of this book is Westland Publications.
India and Bangladesh are set to host the Men’s Cricket World Cup in 2031
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided that India and Bangladesh will jointly host the 2031 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.
- Bangladesh co-hosted the 2011 Men’s World Cup with India and Sri Lanka, as well as the 2014 Twenty20 (T20) Men’s World Cup.
- The 2024 Men’s T20 World Cup will be hosted jointly by the United States and the West Indies.
Legendary novelist Wilbur Smith passed away
- World-renowned novelist Wilbur Smith passed away at the age of 88 in South Africa.
- He published his autobiography ‘On Leopard Rock’ in 2018.
- He released his first novel titled ‘When the Lion Feeds’ in 1964.
Bangladeshi writer Hasan Azizul Haque passed away
- A short-story writer and literary figure of Bangladesh, Hasan Azizul Haque passed away at the age of 82.
- He received the Ekushey Padak in 1999 and Bangladesh’s top civilian honour’Independence Award’ in 2019.
- He has also received literary awards like the Bangla Academy Award, Adamjee Sahitya Puraskar and Ananda Sahitya Puraskar in 2018 in Kolkata for his novel Agunpakhi.
Daily CA 18 November One-liner:
|1. International Students’ Day – 17 November|
|2. National Epilepsy Day – 17 November|
|3. World Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Day – 17 November|
|4. International Fraud Awareness Week – 14 November to 20 November|
|5. Union Power Ministry issues revised guidelines for thermal generation companies to set up renewable energy generation capacity|
|6. Uttarakhand builds India’s first grass conservatory in Almora district|
|7. Arunachal Pradesh declares Kaiser-i-Hind as its state butterfly|
|8. Kotak Mahindra Bank and PVR Cinemas are set to launch a co-branded debit card|
|9. IndusInd Bank launches Indus Merchant Solutions application for merchants|
|10. HDFC Bank launches the second edition of the ‘Mooh Band Rakho’ campaign to raise awareness on fraud prevention|
|11. State Bank of India ties-up with Jamshedpur Football Club to promote Indian football|
|12. Bangalore International Airport and Microsoft India launch the ‘BIAL Genie ‘Hackathon’ to develop the India application for passengers|
|13. World Bank and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) organises ‘WePOWER India Partnership Forum’ to increase workforce participation of women in the energy sector|
|14. M. Mukundan bags the JCB Literature Prize 2021 for his novel ‘Delhi: A Soliloquy’|
|15. India and Bangladesh is set to host the Men’s Cricket World Cup in 2031|
|16. Legendary novelist Wilbur Smith passed away|
|17. Bangladeshi writer Hasan Azizul Haque passed away|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of November 13, 2021, now from the link given below.