Daily Current Affairs: November 18, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (November 18, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Philosophy Day – 18 November 2021
- World Philosophy Day is observed every year on the third Thursday of November. This day aims at promoting the international culture of a healthy, philosophical debate that respects people’s dignity and diversity.
- This day was observed for the very first time in 2002 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to bring to the limelight the enduring value of philosophy.
Karthikai Deepam festival was celebrated in Tamil Nadu
- Karthikai Deepam (Kartik Purnima) is a Hindu, Sikh and Jain cultural festival, celebrated on the full moon day or the fifteenth lunar day of the Tamil month of Karthikai. It is also known as Tripuri Purnima or Tripurari Purnima. It is sometimes called Deva-Diwali or Deva-Deepawali, the festival of lights of the gods.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: M. K. Stalin
- Governor: R. N. Ravi
- National Parks: Mukurthi National Park, Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park
Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel launches the ‘Aatmanirbhar Gram Yatra’ from Ahmedabad
- Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel launched the ‘Aatmanirbhar Gram Yatra’ from Mahemdabad near Ahmedabad to reach out to the villages in Gujarat. During the three-day yatra, 100 Raths will run on 993 routes to cover 10,605 villages.
- During the Aatmanirbhar Gram Yatra, the programmes and projects worth ₹1,577 crore rupees will be launched or dedicated in the rural areas. More than eight thousand houses built under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana will be handed over to the beneficiaries during this yatra.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Bhupendra Patel
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- National Parks: Blackbuck National Park, Vansda National Park, Gir Forest National Park, Marine (Gulf of Kachchh) National Park
Union Food Processing Industry Ministry signs an MoU with Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying to improve the livestock sector
- Union Ministry of Food Processing Industry (MoFPI) has signed a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHD) to improve the livestock sector.
- This MoU will facilitate the extension of benefits to dairy entrepreneurs and dairy industries through the convergence of various schemes of the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- This will also help in generating income for sustainable development of the rural poor by providing credit support, strengthening quality control and providing necessary technology.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates First Global Innovation Summit of the Pharmaceuticals sector
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first Global Innovation Summit of the Pharmaceuticals sector through video conferencing. Union Chemical and Fertilizers Minister Mansukh Mandaviya also attended the event.
- This initiative aims to bring together key Indian and international stakeholders from the government, industry, academia, investors and researchers to discuss and strategise priorities to foster a thriving innovation ecosystem in the pharmaceuticals industry in India.
SIDBI ties up with Google to support MSMEs
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has entered into a partnership with Google India Private Limited (GIPL) for piloting a social impact lending programme with financial assistance up to ₹1 crore at subsidised interest rates to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
- This partnership with GIPL brings a corpus of $15 million (around ₹110 crores) to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) as a crisis response related to COVID-19.
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
- Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Chairman & Managing Director (CMD): S. Ramann
Prime Minister Narendra Modi lays the foundation stone of an ultra-mega solar park in Jhansi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the 600 MW ultra-mega solar park in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh.
- This project is one of the three ultra-mega solar parks that are proposed to be set up in the region to generate 2,000 MW solar power in ‘plug and play mode’ under the Union Government’s Ultra Mega Renewable Energy Power Parks (UMREPP) scheme.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological Parks: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden
India gets re-elected to the UNESCO executive board for 2021–25 term
- India was re-elected to the executive board of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) for the 2021–25 term with 164 India was re-elected to Group IV of Asian and Pacific states, which also include Japan, the Philippines, Vietnam, Cook Islands and China.
- The executive board consists of 58 member-states, each with a four-year term.
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO):
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Director-General: Audrey Azoulay
- Founded: 16 November 1945
India receives $87 billion in remittances in 2021: World Bank
- According to the World Bank, India became the world’s largest recipient of remittances. India received $87 billion in remittances in 2021 and the United States was the biggest source, accounting for over 20 per cent of these funds.
- India is followed by China, Mexico and the Philippines.
- Headquarters: Washington DC, the United States
- President: David Malpass
- Founded: 1944
Banking and Economy
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited gets RBI’s in-principle nod as account aggregator
- NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited has received in-principle approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up an account aggregator business under its wholly-owned subsidiary, NSDL e-Governance account aggregator.
- Account aggregator is a critical step in enabling data democracy. It is a first-of-its-kind consent framework that empowers an individual with control over his or her data and the ability to access and share the same securely and digitally.
RBI authorises RBL Bank to collect direct taxes
- Private sector lender, RBL Bank was authorised by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to collect direct taxes on behalf of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- RBL Bank’s corporate and individual customers will be able to pay their direct taxes through RBL Bank’s mobile banking or net banking platforms as well as through the branch banking network, resulting in ease and convenience for customers.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Vishwavir Ahuja
Awards and Recognitions
BRO receives Guinness World Records certificate for constructing the world’s highest motorable road in Ladakh
- The Border Road Organisation (BRO) received the Guinness World Records recognition for constructing and blacktopping the world’s highest motorable road at 19,024 feet at Umlingla Pass.
- The 52-kilometre long Chisumle to Demchok tarmac road passes through the 19,024 feet high Umlingla Pass and betters the previous record of a road in Bolivia, which connects volcano Uturuncu at 18,953 feet.
United Nations World Tourism Organisation selects Telangana’s Pochampally as one of the world’s ‘best tourism villages’
- Pochampally, a village in Telangana made famous by its eponymous handloom weaved ‘Ikat’ sarees, was declared by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) as one of the best tourism villages in the world.
- Pochampally is frequently referred to as the silk city of India.
- The Pochampally Ikat received the Geographical Indicator (GI) tag in 2004.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- National Parks: KasuBrahmananda Reddy National Park, Mahaveer Harina National Park, Mrugavani National Park
Enforcement Directorate Chief Sanjay Kumar Mishra gets a one-year extension
- Sanjay Kumar Mishra, the Chief of the Enforcement Directorate, was given a one-year extension in service from two years to up to five years. He is a 1984-batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer.
Daily CA 18 November One-liner:
|1. World Philosophy Day – 18 November 2021|
|2. Karthikai Deepam festival was celebrated in Tamil Nadu|
|3. Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel launches the ‘Aatmanirbhar Gram Yatra’ from Ahmedabad|
|4. Union Food Processing Industry Ministry signs an MoU with Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying to improve the livestock sector|
|5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates First Global Innovation Summit of the Pharmaceuticals sector|
|6. SIDBI ties up with Google to support MSMEs|
|7. Prime Minister Narendra Modi lays the foundation stone of an ultra-mega solar park in Jhansi|
|8. India gets re-elected to the UNESCO executive board for 2021–25 term|
|9. India receives $87 billion in remittances in 2021: World Bank|
|10. NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited gets RBI’s in-principle nod as account aggregator|
|11. RBI authorises RBL Bank to collect direct taxes|
|12. BRO receives Guinness World Records certificate for constructing the world’s highest motorable road in Ladakh|
|13. United Nations World Tourism Organisation selects Telangana’s Pochampally as one of the world’s ‘best tourism villages’|
|14. Enforcement Directorate Chief Sanjay Kumar Mishra gets a one-year extension|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of November 18, 2021, now from the link given below.