DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jun 17, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jun 17 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Day to Combat Desertification & Drought- June17:
- Desertification and Drought Day, a United Nations observance day held on 17 June each year, will in 2020 focus on changing public attitudes to the leading driver of desertification and land degradation: humanity’s relentless production and consumption.
- Theme: “Food. Feed. Fibre”.
Uttar Pradesh govt decides to adopt scheme of Flatted Factory Model:
- Uttar Pradesh Government has decided to adopt the scheme of Flatted Factory Model which will ensure easy availability of land for industries, and in turn, generate employment also. In a high level meeting, it was decided by Uttar Pradesh State Industrial Development Authority (UPSIDA).
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Tata Power Set to Develop a 120 MW Solar Project in Gujarat:
- Tata Power has announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Tata Power Renewable Energy Limited (TPREL) has received a Letter of Award (LoA) from Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Limited (GUVNL) to develop a 120 MW solar project in the state.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
West Bengal Government launches “Karmo Bhumi” a job portal to help IT professionals:
- West Bengal government has launched a job portal “KarmoBhumi” for IT professionals who have returned to the state amid the COVID-19 pandemic. IT professionals can use the portal ‘Karmo Bhumi’ to connect with companies based in the state.
- IT professionals now connect to IT companies of Bengal through nltr.org.
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar.
Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh inaugurates three projects undertaken by PHED:
- Chief Minister of Manipur Biren Singh inaugurated three projects undertaken by State Public Health Engineering Department (PHED) through video conferencing from Imphal.
- New Development Bank has sanctioned 3000 crore to provide potable water to every household of the State.
- Chief Minister:N. Biren Singh
- Governor:Najma Heptulla
Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs launches “e-Office” application:
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs Chairman Ajit Kumar has launched the e-Office application in over 500 CGST and Customs offices pan India. Over 50,000 officers and staff will use this application, making CBIC one of the largest Government departments to automate its internal office procedures.
Banking and Economy:
EPFO launches multi location claims settlement facility:
- Retirement fund body Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) on Monday said it has launched a multi-location claim settlement facility to expedite member claims
- All types of online claims, i.e., provident fund, pension, partial withdrawal, claims and transfer claims can be processed under this novel initiative.
India’s foreign exchange reserves cross $500 bn for the first time:
- The country’s foreign exchange reserves crossed the $500 billion mark for the first time as the central bank absorbed inflows at a time. India’s forex reserves comprise Foreign Currency Assets (FCAs), gold reserves, Special Drawing Rights (SDRs), and India’s reserve position with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Mother Dairy ties up with Zomato to home deliver fruit, vegetables in Delhi-NCR:
- Safal the Fruits and vegetables arm of Mother Dairy has partnered with restaurant aggregator and food Delivery Company Zomato home deliver fruit and vegetables in select locations of the National Capital Region (NCR).
China’s Great Wall Motor signs MoU with Maharashtra, reaffirms plan to invest USD 1 billion:
- Great Wall Motor, the latest Chinese automaker to enter the Indian market, signed a memorandum of understanding with the Maharashtra government agreeing to invest in modernising its Talegaon manufacturing plant and generate employment for 3,000 people.
Appointments and Resignations:
SARC & Associates appointed as auditor of PM CARES Fund for 3 Years:
- Prime Minister’s Citizens Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations (PM CARES) Fund, appointed “SARC & Associates, Chartered Accountants, New Delhi, as the auditors” for three years. The Firm is headed by Sunil Kumar Gupta who audits the PM National Relief Fund.
Attorney General K K Venugopa to get 1-year extension:
- Attorney General K K Venugopal has agreed for extension of one more year as a top law officer of the country. Venugopal is a leading lawyer of the country was appointed as Attorney General and had succeeded Mukul Rohatgi on June 30, 2017.
Devendra Kumar Singh appointed as the new Director of SIDBI:
- Ministry of Finance notified the appointment of Devendra Kumar Singh, Additional Secretary & Development Commissioner, Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, as Central Government nominee Director on the Board of Directors of Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
- He will be succeeding Ram Mohan Mishra.
Cricket Australia appoints Nick Hockley as the interim CEO:
- Cricket Australia has a new man at the helm in Nick Hockley after former CEO Kevin Roberts Hockley, who is the Chief executive of the T20 World cup, will fill the position in an interim role. The decision was announced by Cricket Australia chairman, Earl Eddings
PayU India appoints Shantanu Preetam as Chief Technology Officer:
- India’s leading online payment solutions provider PayU announced the appointment of Shantanu Preetam to the India leadership team as Chief Technology Officer.
Kyrgyzstan Prime Minister Mukhammedkalyi Abylgaziev resigns:
- Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan, Mukhammedkalyi Abylgaziev has resigned from the post. He resigned due to citing an ongoing criminal investigation into the assignment of national radio frequencies.
- Capital: Bishkek
- Currency: Kyrgyzstani Som
- President: Sooronbay Jeenbekov
Evariste Ndayishimiye to be sworn in as Burundi’s new president:
- Evariste Ndayishimiye will be sworn in as Burundi’s newly elected president after the sudden death of the incumbent, Pierre Nkurunziza. Ndayishimiye, 52, is a former army general and Hutu rebel like his predecessor.
- Capital: Gitega
- Currency: Burundian franc
- President: Evariste Ndayishimiye
Awards and Recognitions:
Hyderabad’s Deccan Development Society wins Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation Award:
- Hyderabad-based Deccan Development Society has won the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation Award, one of the most coveted environmental awards in the world for the year 2020.
- The award was announced by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation Vice President and CEO Olivier Wenden.
India ranked 43rd on IMD’s World Competitiveness Index; Singapore on top:
- India continues to remain ranked 43rd on an annual World Competitiveness Index compiled by Institute for Management Development (IMD).
- Singapore has retained its top position on the 63-nation list. Denmark has moved up to the 2nd position (from 8th last year), Switzerland has gained one place to rank 3rd and Venezuela is at the bottom.
India ranked 6th as nuclear weapons increased since 2019:
- According to “SIPRI Yearbook 2020-Armaments, Disarmament and International Security” of Swedish think tank, Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)
- US tops in the list followed by Russia and UK India Ranked 6th.
India 9th largest recipient of FDI in 2019: UNCTAD:
- India became the world’s 9th largest recipient of the foreign direct investment in 2019 scoring deals worth $51 billion, according to a report by the United Nations’ trade body, the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
Books & Authors:
Dadabhai Naoroji Biography Released By Dinyar Patel:
- The Dinyar Patel authored biography of Dadabhai Naoroji, titled, ‘Naoroji: Pioneer of Indian Nationalism’ was released in India by Harper Collins and in the United States and UK by Harvard University Press.
Lyricist, painter Padmaja Radhakrishnan passes away:
- Lyricist and painter Padmaja Radhakrishnan (68), wife of the late music director MG Radhakrishnan passed away. Besides penning lyrics for a 2013 Malayalam movie ‘Mr Bean’, she had also written a number of songs which were composed by her husband.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.