DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: NOVEMBER 6&7, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: NOVEMBER 6&7, 2018
Daily Current Affairs ( November 6&7, 2018) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Lucknow Stadium Renamed After Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- The newly-built Ekana International Stadium has been renamed after former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- The stadium will now be known as ‘Bharat Ratna Atal Bihari Vajpayee International Cricket Stadium‘. The city will host its first international match at the stadium when India play West Indies in the second T20 International match.
West Bengal to observe ‘Rosogolla Day’ on Nov. 14
- The West Bengal government has decided to observe ‘Rosogolla Day’ on November 14.
- It is to commemorate the first anniversary of the State’s famous sweet getting Geographical Indication (GI) tag as ‘Bengal’s Rosogolla’.
- On November 14 last year, West Bengal had received the GI tag for ‘Bengal’s Rosogolla’. The GI tag is a sign that identifies a product as originating from a particular place.
Indian Coast Guard launches new Offshore patrol vessel ICGS Varaha
- The Indian Coast Guard has launched a new offshore patrol vessel called ICGS Varaha from a corporate shipyard near Chennai.
- This is the third in a series of seven similar ships to be handed over to the Coast Guard. The timeline for the delivery of all the vessels is March 2021.
- ICGS Varaha will soon be fitted with advanced navigation and communication equipment, sensors and machineries. The weapons will include a 30 mm guns with Fire Control Systems.
- It will also be capable of carrying a twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats for Search and Rescue and Maritime Patrol. It also carries pollution response equipment to contain the oil spill at sea.
India re-elected as member of ITU council till 2022
- India has been elected as a member of the International Telecommunications Union Council (ITU) for another 4-year term – from 2019 to 2022.
- The elections to the council were held during the ongoing ITU Plenipotentiary Conference 2018 at Dubai, UAE.
- India secured 165 votes and ranked third among the 13 countries elected to the council from the Asia-Australasia region, and eighth among the 48 countries elected to the council globally.
- The ITU has 193 member states who elect representatives to the council.
India, South Korea ink MoU on sports cooperation
- The Government of India through Ministry of Youth and Sports, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation in sports with the Republic of Korea.
- Union Sports Minister Rajyawardhan Rathore and Korean Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Do Jong-hwan inked the pact on latter’s visit to India.
- The objective of this MoU is to establish a framework to facilitate and promote cooperation in sports between the two countries.
- South Korea
UN World Food Programme, Alibaba Group form strategic partnership to eliminate hunger
- The UN World Food Programme and Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group have formed a strategic partnership to support efforts eliminate hunger globally by 2030.
- WFP Executive Director David Beasley and Alibaba Partner and Chairman of the Alibaba Foundation Sun Lijun signed an agreement at Alibaba’s headquarters in Hangzhou, China.
- The map will monitor global hunger and operations to end the scourge by 2030 – one of the UN’s key Sustainable Development goals – and aims to boost the efficiency of interventions and shorten emergency response times.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
RBI Initiates Process To Set Up Digital Public Credit Registry
- The Reserve Bank has initiated steps to set up a wide-based digital Public Credit Registry (PCR) to capture details of all borrowers, including wilful defaulters and also the pending legal suits in order to check financial delinquencies.
- The PCR will also include data from entities like market regulator Sebi, the corporate affairs ministry, Goods and Service Tax Network (GSTN) and the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) to enable the banks and financial institutions to get 360 degree.
- The Reserve Bank has invited expression of interest (EOI) for developing the registry from companies with a turnover of over Rs 100 crore in the last three years.
World Bank Inks $172 Million Project Agreement With Andhra Pradesh
- The Central and Andhra Pradesh governments and the World Bank have signed the loan agreement for a $172.20 million project to enhance agricultural productivity, profitability, and climate resilience of poor and marginalised farmers in Andhra Pradesh.
- The projects seeks to ensure that farming continues to remain a financially viable activity.
- The Andhra Pradesh Integrated Irrigation and Agriculture Transformation Project (APIIATP) will be implemented in rural areas largely dependent upon rain-fed agriculture.
India, Malawi Sign MoUs in Extradition Treaty, Atomic Energy and VISA Waiver
- India and Malawi has signed three MoUs on extradition, cooperation in atomic energy and visa waiver for diplomats and officials as Vice President Venkaiah Naidu met Malawian President Arthur Peter Mutharika.
- During the meeting between the two leaders, India also offered specialised training programmes for Malawi defence forces.
- An MoU on cooperation in the field of atomic energy for peaceful purposes was signed between the Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership and Malawi’s Ministry of Natural Resources.
- The two sides also signed an MoU for an extradition treaty between the two countries and a visa waiver agreement for diplomatic and official passport holders.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Anupam Kher Gets ‘Distinguished Fellow’ Award
- Veteran actor Anupam Kher was honoured as a ‘Distinguished Fellow’ by IndiaGlobal – a leading think-tank that works on issues concerning non-resident Indians.
- The actor was given a fellowship on November 3, 2018 at the 3rd IndiaGlobal Summit.
- The actor recently resigned from the post of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), citing his international assignments as the reason.
- Kher plays the role of a doctor in American TV show “New Amsterdam”.
APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Gafur Rakhimov Elected President of AIBA
- Uzbek businessman Gafur Rakhimov was elected president of the International Boxing Association (AIBA).
- Rakhimov won 86 of the 134 second-round votes collected by AIBA officials in Moscow to beat his only opponent, former boxer Serik Konakbayev of Kazakhstan.
Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
“Notes of a Dream: The Authorized Biography of A.R. Rahman” By Krishna Trilok Launched
- The biography of AR Rahman, Notes of a Dream: The Authorized Biography of AR Rahman was launched.
- Written by author Krishna Trilok, the biography in association with Landmark and Penguin Random House was launched.
- He said the book has been a journey for him and took him to those corners of his life which have remained candid for a long time.
1971 War Hero M.P. Awati Passes Away
- Vice-Admiral M.P. Awati (retd.), who commanded a naval unit of the Eastern Fleet in the 1971 India-Pakistan war and whose actions led to the destruction of an enemy submarine has passed away.
- He was the commanding officer of a naval unit of the Eastern Fleet, Dec’71. Captured three enemy ships carrying contraband goods. His actions led to destruction of an enemy submarine.
World Tsunami Awareness Day – November 5
- In the year 2015, the General Assembly of the United Nations nominated 5th November as the World Tsunami Awareness Day.
- The day has been started to spread general awareness on tsunami amongst the people worldwide.
- The word “tsunami” gets its name from the Japanese “tsu” means harbor and “nami” means wave.