Daily Current Affairs : October 11 & 12, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (October 10, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of the Girl Child- October 11:
- International Day of the Girl Child is observed on October 11 every year.
- The day was declared by the United Nations; it is also called the Day of Girls and the International Day of the Girl.
- Beijing Declaration is 1st to specifically call out girls’ rights. On Dec 19 2011, UN declared October 11 as International Day of Girl Child.
- Theme: “My Voice, Our Equal Future”
World Arthritis Day-October 12:
- World Arthritis Day is observed on October 12. Arthritis is inflammation of the joints which affects movement. The objective of the World Arthritis Day is to create awareness among the people about rheumatic disorders as well as to sensitise government and policy makers about the disease.
- Theme: “Time2Work”
PM Modi launches physical distribution of property cards under SVAMITVA scheme:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the physical distribution of property cards under SVAMITVA scheme. It is a central sector scheme of Ministry of Panchayati Raj will make rural India “Self-Reliant”.
- The beneficiaries now will have a right, a legal document of owning their houses. The country has taken another major step towards an Atma Nirbhar Bharat, as this scheme helps in making rural India self-reliant.
PM Narendra Modi releases commemorative coin of Rs 100 in honour of Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a commemorative coin of Rs 100 in Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia’s honour. The PM recalled the legacy of Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia on her birth centenary.
- She proved that for people’s representatives not ‘Raj Satta’ but ‘Jan Seva’ is important. Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindiaji was a witness to every important phase of Indian politics from the independence movement to the decades after independence. Vijaya was elected to Lok Sabha 7 times and twice to the Rajya Sabha.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh Virtually inaugurates BRO-built 44 major bridges across 7 states/UTs:
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated 44 bridges made by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) across seven States/Union Territories, via video-conferencing. These bridges are built in border areas of Ladakh, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir.
- The foundation Stone for Nechiphu Tunnel on the road to Tawang will also be laid during this event.
Arvind Kejriwal launches first of its kind tree transplantation policy for clean and green Delhi:
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched the first of its kind tree transplantation policy to preserve trees for clean Delhi.
- Kejriwal stated that the Delhi government has passed a tree transplantation policy, under which 80 per cent of trees uprooted for any construction/development project, must be transplanted elsewhere.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
India to surpass Japan to become the third largest economy by 2050:
- Indian economy is set to become the third largest in the world behind China and the US by 2050 and retain the same position in 2100, a study published in the medical journal Lancet found by translating working age population of countries into scenarios for total GDP.
- Taking 2017 as the base year when India was the seventh-largest economy, the Lancet paper said India will move up to become the Fourth largest economy behind the US, China and Japan by 2030 and subsequently will overtake Japan in 2050. India is currently the 5th largest economy in the world.
Argentina Becomes First Country to Approve Genetically Modified Wheat:
- Argentina became the first country in the world to approve the use of drought-resistant Genetically Modified (GMO) Wheat, prompting fierce criticism by the country’s massive export agriculture industry.
- The country has approved HB4 drought-resistant GMO wheat by biotechnology firm Bioceres, making it to approve a strain of GMO wheat. Argentina said HB4 tech provides seeds that are more tolerant to drought & minimize production losses.
Seventh round of military level talks between India & China underway to de-escalate tension along LAC:
- India and China is underway to resolve the border issues on Line of Actual Control. The Commander level talks between both the countries began at the Chushul border personnel meeting point on Indian side.
- The Military commanders are meeting for the seventh time to work out the measures to preserve the peace and tranquility at the Line of Actual Control in Eastern Ladakh region.
Banking and Economy
IRDAI to launch ‘Colour Codes’ for health insurance policies:
- Insurance Regulatory Authority of India (IRDAI) has introduced ‘Colour Coding’ for individual health products. This move will enable policyholders to understand the level of complexity while buying health insurance products.
- Every health insurance product offered by general and health insurance companies will use green, orange, & red colours to indicate the complexity of the products. Green will signify that the product offered is a simple one, easy to understand & comprehend. Red– Product is complex and needs to be understood properly.
Amit Banerjee is appointed as the New Director at BEML:
- Amit Banerjee assumed charge as the Director (Rail and Metro Business) and Member on the Board of BEML Limited. A graduate in Mechanical Engineering from IIT (BHU), Varanasi, Banerjee had joined BEML as an assistant engineer in 1984.
Indian-origin Srikant Datar named Dean of Harvard Business School:
- Srikant Datar, the Arthur Lowes Dickinson Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School, will become the School’s next dean, Harvard University President Larry Bacow.
- Srikant M Datar is an alumnus of Mumbai University & IIM Ahmedabad. He Succeeds Nitin Nohria to become the second Indian origin person to head HBS
GRAAM Founder and Chairman R. Balasubramaniam appointed to SEBI committee:
- SEBI has inducted R. Balasubramaniam, founder and chairman of GRAAM, Mysuru, as a member of the Technical Group on Social Stock Exchange (SSE).
- The committee has been formed to develop guidelines for setting up the Social Stock Exchange in India. The committee is chaired by Harsh Kumar Bhanwala.
Kyrgyzstan Parliament approves Sadyr Japarov as new Prime Minister:
- Kyrgyzstan’s parliament has controversially appointed Sadyr Japarov as new prime minister, just days after the convicted kidnapper was sprung from prison during turmoil over the Central Asian country’s disputed parliamentary elections.
- This comes amid a political crisis in the nation after the parliamentary elections were declared invalid.
ICICI Securities appoints Subhash Kelkar as Chief Technology & Digital Officer:
- India’s leading retail-led equity franchise ICICI Securities, stated that following the superannuation of Mr. Yagnesh Parikh has appointed Subhash Kelkar as the Chief Technology & Digital Officer.
- Subhash Kelkar comes with close to three decades of technology and services industry experience in various strategic and leadership roles. He has worked in multiple geographies including USA, Europe, Japan and New Zealand and has anchored many digital / technology led transformations.
BharatPe Launches Brand Campaign with Record 11 Cricket Stars As Brand Ambassadors:
- BharatPe has announced the launch of its high impact TV campaign starring ‘Team BharatPe’ with 11 Cricket stars as its brand ambassadors.
- The campaign communicates the message ‘Hum Hai Team BharatPe – Jo Desh Ke Har Dukandaar Ke Saath Hai Khade’.
- This is the first time that a new age FinTech company has rolled out a TV campaign with 11 top cricket stars as its brand ambassadors.
- Team BharatPe includes Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, KL Rahul, Mohammed Shami, Ravindra Jadeja, Suresh Raina, Shreyas Iyer, Prithvi Shaw, Sanju Samson, Yuzvendra Chahal, and Shubhman Gill.
Suresh Sethi appointed as MD and CEO of NSDL e-Governance Infra Ltd:
- Former founder CEO and MD of India Post Payments Bank Suresh Sethi is appointed as MD & CEO designate of NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Ltd. Suresh Sethi will succeed Gagan Rai.
- Prior to India Post Payments Bank, he was associated with Citigroup, Yes Bank, Vodafone M-Pesa (across India, Kenya, UK, Argentina and USA). He led various roles across business strategy, product development, sales & client management and operations at CXO & MD level.
Awards and Recognitions
Indian Navy Ships Sahyadri and Kora Adjudged ‘Best Ships’ In Fleet Award Function 2020:
- Indian Navy organised the Fleet Award Function (FAF) at Visakhapatnam to mark the successful performance of the Operational Cycle of the Eastern Fleet. Best Ship were awarded to INS Sahyadri amongst Capital ships and INS Kora amongst Corvettes ships. INS Airavat and Kiltan jointly bagged ‘Best Spirited Ship’.
- Fleet Award Function (FAF) 2020 was hosted by Rear Admiral Sanjay Vatsayan, NM Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet, and the Chief Guest for the event was Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain, PVSM, AVSM, VSM, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command (ENC).
India becomes first nation to be awarded Blue Flag certification for 8 beaches in a single attempt:
- India received the prestigious ‘Blue Flag’ certification for all its eight beaches that it recommended. India is now in the league of 50 ‘BLUE FLAG’ countries.
- Eight of India’s beaches including Shivrajpur (Dwarka-Gujarat), Ghoghla (Diu), Kasarkod and Padubidri (Karnataka), Kappad (Kerala), Rushikonda (AP), Golden Beach (Odisha) and Radhanagar (A&N Islands) got the eco-label of Blue Flag in a row.
Books and Authors
Former RAW officer GBS Sidhu unravels the path to 1984 in his book ‘The Khalistan Conspiracy’:
- A former intelligence officer with the RAW, GBS Sidhu has written how pro-Khalistan sentiments and Sikh extremism were deliberately encouraged and then crushed with a heavy hand to draw political mileage’, in his upcoming book “The Khalistan Conspiracy: A Former R&aw Officer Unravels The Path To 1984”.
Kannada Veteran Director Vijay passes away at 84:
- Veteran film maker B. Vijaya Reddy of the Kannada film industry passed away. He is most remembered for his collaboration with Dr. Rajkumar to deliver some of his super-hit films. He has directed several films including Naa Ninna Bidalare, Auto Raja, Deva.
Former India football captain Carlton Chapman passes away at 49:
- Former India football captain Carlton Chapman, who had formed a deadly trio in club football with Bhaichung Bhutia and IM Vijayan in the 1990s, died in Bengaluru.
- A creative midfielder, Chapman played for India between 1995 and 2001.
- India won the 1997 SAFF Cup under his captaincy.
Justice KK Usha, first woman chief justice of Kerala HC from the bar, passes away at 81:
- Justice K K Usha, former Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court, passed away.
- She served as a judge from 1991 to 2000.
- And when she was appointed Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court from 2000 to 2001, Justice Usha became the first woman to join the High Court Judiciary from the Bar and became a Chief Justice.
Iga Swiatek wins French Open, becomes first Pole to win Grand Slam singles title:
- Iga Swiatek crowned an extraordinary fortnight to win the French Open in a blaze of winners crushing Sofia Kenin 6-4, 6-1.
- Swiatek, who had dropped only 23 games en route to the final, produced another audacious display as she became the first Polish player to win a Grand Slam singles title.
- She is the youngest winner since Monica Seles lifted the Suzanne Lenglen Cup in 1992. French Open is the only Grand Slam tournament to use clay courts.
- In Women’s doubles, Timea Babos & Kristina Mladenovic retained their French Open title defeating Alexa Guarachi & Desirae Krawczyk.
Rafael Nadal beats Novak Djokovic to win his 13th French Open Men’s Singles title and claims his 20th Grand Slam title:
- Rafael Nadal’s 100th match win at the French Open earned him his 20th Grand Slam title and rival Roger Federer for the men’s singles record.
- To add even more of a shine to the achievement, the victory was perhaps one of Nadal’s best efforts 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 drubbing of Novak Djokovic played under the brand-new roof on Court Philippe Chatrier.
Indian teenager Nihal Sarin wins Junior Speed Chess Championship:
- Indian teenager created history by winning the Chess.com’s 2020 Junior Speed Online Chess Championship, defeating Russia’s Alexey Sarana 18-7 in the final.
- He also qualified for the 2020 Speed Chess Championship Final which will feature the world’s best players. Magnus Carlsen (2017) and Hikaru Nakamura (2018, 2019) have won the Speed Chess Championship in the past.
Lewis Hamilton equals Michael Schumacher’s 91 race wins at Eifel F1 Grand Prix:
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix, held at the Nürburgring in Nürburg, Germany.
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) came second followed by Daniel Ricciardo (Renault, Australia) at third position.
- This is Hamilton’s 7th win of the season and 91st career race victory, which was till now achieved only by Michael Schumacher.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 11 & 12, 2020 now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.