Daily Current Affairs: October 21, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (October 21, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Police Commemoration Day – 21 October
- National Police Commemoration Day is observed on 21 October to remember police personnel who sacrificed their lives while discharging their duties in India.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the National Police Memorial and also inaugurated India’s first National Police Museum in New Delhi in October 2018.
Union Government extends the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package- insurance scheme for the healthcare workers for six months
- Union Government extended the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP) insurance scheme for the healthcare workers for another six months. This scheme was to see an end in tenure on 20 October 2020.
- The PMGKP insurance scheme was established on 30 March 2020 to provide complete personal accident coverage of Rs. 50 lakhs to 22.12 lakh health care practitioners, including community health workers and private health care providers, who may have had direct contact and treatment of COVID-19 patients and may be at risk.
Haryana Health Minister launches ‘Swasth Haryana’ mobile app to provide relief for people from long queue in government hospitals
- Haryana Health Minister Anil Vij launched the ‘Swasth Haryana’ mobile application, which would allow people to register in advance for government hospitals, allowing them to avoid long queues.
- Patients will get access to their laboratory reports through the application and will not have to visit the hospitals to collect those reports physically.
- This app will also include information on mother–child care and vaccinations, as well as the location of the nearest blood bank.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatraya
- National Parks: Sultanpur National Park, Kalesar National Park
- Dance: Phag, Dhamal, Loor, Khoria
Tamil Nadu FiberNet Corporation Limited (TANFINET) signs an agreement for the implementation of BharatNet project
- Tamil Nadu FiberNet Corporation Limited (TANFINET) signed an agreement with Larsen and Toubro, Indian Telephone Industries Limited (ITI Ltd.) and third-party agency Broadcasting Engineering Corporation of India Limited (BECIL) for the BharatNet project to ensure the availability of high-speed internet connectivity in Tamil Nadu.
- This project aims to provide 1 Gbps bandwidth connectivity to all gram panchayats in Tamil Nadu through optical fibre cable with high-speed bandwidth connectivity.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: M. K. Stalin
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
- National Parks: Mukurthi National Park, Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park
Banking & Economy
Reserve Bank of India imposes Rs.1 crore penalty on Paytm Payments Bank
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a monetary penalty of Rs. 1 crore on Paytm Payments Bank for violating provisions of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007.
- This penalty has been imposed in the exercise of powers vested in the RBI under the provisions of Section 30 and Section 31 of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Formation: 1 April 1935
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors:M. K. Jain, M. D. Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao and T. Rabi Sankar
- Subsidiaries: Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Limited (BRBNML)
NPCI launches the NPCI Tokenisation System (NTS) platform for tokenisation of RuPay cards
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has announced the launch of the NPCI Tokenisation System (NTS), which will facilitate card tokenisation as an alternative to merchants storing card details.
- The NTS will support the tokenisation of RuPay cards to enhance the safety of customer data and provide a seamless shopping experience to consumers.
- These tokens then allow payments to be handled without disclosing customer information or allowing payment intermediaries to keep customer information, potentially compromising security and privacy.
- The NPCI’s Token Reference On File (TROF) service will help millions of RuPay cardholders maintain the security of their financial data.
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Non-Executive Chairman: Biswamohan Mahapatra
- MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe
- Founded: 2008
NABARD sanctions Rs. 608 crores for infrastructure projects in Assam
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned Rs. 608 crores for rural infrastructure projects in Assam under the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF)-XXVII.
- These infrastructure projects include 52 rural roads, 21 rural bridges, 19 flood protection projects and 32 soil conservation projects.
- The Government of India created the RIDF in NABARD in 1995–96, with an initial corpus of Rs. 2000 crores towards financing the ongoing rural infrastructure projects in the irrigation sector.
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Formation: 12 July 1982
- Chairman: Chintala Govinda Rajulu
HDFC Bank, Mastercard, DFC and USAID jointly launch a $100 million credit facility for MSMEs in India
- HDFC Bank, Mastercard, the US Government’s Development Finance Corporation (DFC) and the US Agency for International Development (USAID) jointly launched a $100 million credit facility to assist small Indian businesses (MSMEs) with their digitisation needs and recovery from the impact of COVID-19.
- This assistance would be exclusively available for new-to-credit small businesses owners, including at least 50 per cent of women entrepreneurs.
Ranks and Indices
India was ranked 79th in the World Justice Project (WJP)’s Rule of Law Index 2021
- India was ranked 79th out of 139 countries on the Rule of Law Index 2021 report released by the World Justice Project (WJP).
- Denmark, Norway and Finland topped the WJP’s Rule of Law Index, while the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cambodia and Venezuela had the lowest overall rule of law scores.
Deepika Padukone was named as the global brand ambassador of Adidas
- Deepika Padukone partnered with Adidas and was named as the global brand ambassador of Adidas to work closely with the brand on their common commitment towards fitness.
- With this partnership, Adidas strengthens its focus on democratising and diversifying sport for women through inspiring personalities.
Agreements and MoUs signed
India and Australia partners to boost bilateral trade and investment
- India has partnered with Australia in areas such as agrifood, mining, infrastructure, healthcare and education to boost industrial and manufacturing activity and also to drive economic growth.
- Both the countries are committed to liberalising and deepening bilateral trade in goods and services and paving the way for an early conclusion of a CECA (Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement).
Awards and Recognitions
Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation bags the Earth Guardian Award 2021
- The Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation has bagged the Earth Guardian Award 2021 instituted by the Natwest Group for its efforts in supporting the conservation of tigers and biodiversity at the 11th edition of the NatWest Group Earth Heroes Awards 2021.
- The theme for the awards in 2021 is “Biodiversity – A resilient nature is the foundation on which all climate mitigation and adaptation efforts must be raised”.
- Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation is located at Kerala
Kung Fu Nuns win the UNESCO Prize for Martial Arts Education 2021
- The UNESCO International Centre for Martial Arts has awarded the world-renowned Kung Fu Nuns of the Drukpa order of Buddhism, the prestigious UNESCO Martial Arts Education Prize 2021 for their heroic acts of service.
Books & Authors
Venkataraghavan Subha Srinivasan is set to release his new book titled ‘The Origin Story of India’s States’
- Venkataraghavan Subha Srinivasan has come out with a new book titled ‘The Origin Story of India’s States’, which is set to be released on 25 October. This book will present the incredible origin stories of each of India’s 28 states and eight union territories.
- The publisher of this book is Penguin Random House India (PRHI).
Australia’s James Pattinson announced his retirement from international cricket
- Australian fast bowler James Pattinson announced his retirement from international cricket.
- He has played 21 Tests and 15 One Day Internationals, though he will continue to play domestic cricket.
Daily CA- 21 October One Liners
|National Police Commemoration Day – 21 October|
|Union Government extends the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package- insurance scheme for the healthcare workers for six months|
|Haryana Health Minister launches ‘Swasth Haryana’ mobile app to provide relief for people from long queue in government hospitals|
|Tamil Nadu FiberNet Corporation Limited (TANFINET) signs an agreement for the implementation of BharatNet project|
|Reserve Bank of India imposes Rs.1 crore penalty on Paytm Payments Bank|
|NPCI launches the NPCI Tokenisation System (NTS) platform for tokenisation of RuPay cards|
|NABARD sanctions Rs. 608 crores for infrastructure projects in Assam|
|HDFC Bank, Mastercard, DFC and USAID jointly launch a $100 million credit facility for MSMEs in India|
|India was ranked 79th in the World Justice Project (WJP)’s Rule of Law Index 2021|
|Deepika Padukone was named as the global brand ambassador of Adidas|
|India and Australia partners to boost bilateral trade and investment|
|Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation bags the Earth Guardian Award 2021|
|Kung Fu Nuns win the UNESCO Prize for Martial Arts Education 2021|
|Venkataraghavan Subha Srinivasan is set to release his new book titled ‘The Origin Story of India’s States’|
|Australia’s James Pattinson announced his retirement from international cricket|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 21, 2021, now from the link given below.