Daily Current Affairs: October 9, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (October 9, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Post Day- October 9:
- World Post Day is observed on 9 October every year.
- The day was the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern.
- It was declared World Post Day by the UPU Congress held in Tokyo, Japan in 1969.
- Theme: “We Have Always Delivered”
Indian Foreign Service Day- October 9:
- Indian Foreign Service Day is celebrated on 9 October every year since 2011 to commemorate the day the Indian Cabinet created the IFS.
- The PM greeted the IFS officers and said that the efforts of officers during the Vande Bharat Mission and other COVID related assistance have been noteworthy.
Thaawarchand Gehlot Virtually Inaugurates International Conference on “Mental Health: Looking Beyond COVID 19”:
- Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot inaugurated the virtual “International conference on Mental Health: Looking Beyond COVID 19” through video conferencing. Prof. Craig Jeffrey, Director, Australia-India Institute co-chaired the conference.
- He also apprised about the recent initiatives of the Government of India such as setting up of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation at Sehore, Madhya Pradesh and KIRAN mental health rehabilitation helpline for addressing mental health issues.
Meghalaya to partner with Israel in establishing “Centre of Excellence” for high value vegetables:
- Meghalaya government has entered into a partnership with Israel to establish a one of a kind Centre of Excellence (CoE) on high-value vegetables in the state to improve and promote the livelihoods of farmers.
- CoE is important for tapping the diverse biodiversity and available resources in the state in terms of its soil and agro-climatic condition.
- Capital: Shillong
- Chief Minister: Conrad Sangma
- Governor: Satya Pal Malik
Ladakh sign MoU with NDDB to Conduct Survey for Promotion of Dairying:
- National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) and the Union Territory Administration of Ladakh inked an agreement to conduct a benchmark survey in the newly formed UT.
- The survey is aimed at gathering the required details to prepare a roadmap for the development and promotion of dairying in the UT.
- Under the survey, the NDDB proposes to enumerate all the households present in the identified villages irrespective of their dairy animal holding status.
- Lieutenant Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
- Capital: Leh
National Dairy Development Board (NDDB):
- Headquarters location: Anand, Gujarat
- Chairman: Amrita Patel
Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ virtually inaugurates Gyan Circle Ventures:
- Union Minister for Education Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ virtually inaugurated the Gyan Circle Ventures; a MeitY funded Technology Business Incubator (TBI) of Indian Institute of Information Technology, Sri City (Chittoor), Andhra Pradesh through Video Conference.
- He further informed that the incubator would leverage the institutions’ entrepreneurial spirit via utilizing its intellectual capital and engage in using emerging technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Block-chain, Cyber Physical Systems (CPS), Cyber Security, Internet of Things (IoT), Robotics, etc.
Uttar Pradesh government signs agreement with Zurich Airport for development of Jewar Airport:
- Noida International Airport Limited (NIAL) and Zurich Airport International AG signed a key agreement to allow the Swiss developer to begin work at the site of the upcoming Jewar airport.
- The ‘Concession Agreement’ for the Greenfield airport, estimated to cost Rs 29,560 crore, was inked between the Uttar Pradesh government’s agency and the Yamuna International Airport Private Limited (YIAPL), a special purpose vehicle floated by the Zurich Airport for the project.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan(Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
PM Modi launches ‘Jan Andolan’ campaign for COVID-19 Appropriate Behaviour:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched a campaign “Jan Andolan” for COVID-19 Appropriate Behaviour. The campaign has been launched in view of the upcoming festivals and winter season as well as the opening up of the economy.
- Mr Modi appealed to the people to unite to fight Corona. He urged the people to always remember to wear a mask, wash hands, follow social distancing and practice ‘Do Gaz Ki Doori.’
Tamil Nadu partners with World Economic Forum to set up Advanced Manufacturing Hub:
- Tamil Nadu’s Guidance Bureau, the Nodal Investment Promotion and Facilitation Agency of the state, has partnered with the World Economic Forum (WEF) to establish an advanced manufacturing hub in the state.
- The Advanced Manufacturing HUB (AMHUB) is one of the 19 platforms designed by the WEF and focuses on identifying and addressing regional opportunities and challenges brought by the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit.
- National Park: Mukurthi NP, Guindy NP,Gulf of Mannar Marine NP, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) NP, Mudumalai NP.
Centre approves signing of Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) in the field of Cybersecurity between India and Japan:
- Union Cabinet gave its approval for signing a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) in the field of Cyber Security between India and Japan.
- The MoC will enhance cooperation in areas of mutual interest, which include inter-alia, capacity building in the area of cyberspace; protection of critical infrastructure; cooperation in emerging technologies; sharing information on cyber security threats/incidents and malicious cyber activities.
- Developing joint mechanisms for practical cooperation to mitigate cyber threats to the security of Information Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure etc.
Banking and Economy
RBI Monetary Policy: Repo rate unchanged at 4%; GDP to contract by 9.5% in current FY21:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) decided to keep key lending rate unchanged in its October policy review meeting. The six-member monetary policy committee (MPC), headed by RBI governor Shaktikanta Das, kept Repo Rate untouched at 4 percent; and the Reverse Repo rate at 3.35 percent while maintaining an accommodative stance.
- Shaktikanta also stated that real GDP expected to contract by 9.5 percent in the current fiscal (2020-21). RBI will extend the scheme for co-lending to all NBFC, HFC.
RBI extends the interest subvention scheme for MSMEs till 31st March 2021:
- Reserve Bank of India stated that the two percent interest subvention scheme for Micro, Small And Medium Enterprises (MSMES) on loans offered by co-operative banks has been extended till 31st of March 2021.
- RBI has further informed that the scheme, initially announced for just two years, has been extended for the financial year 2020-21.
World Bank expects India’s GDP to contract by 9.6% For FY21:
- World Bank expects India’s GDP is expected to contract by 9.6 percent this fiscal which is reflective of the national lockdown and the income shock experienced by households and firms due to the COVID-19 pandemic, noting that the country’s economic situation is much worse than ever seen before.
HDFC Bank and Apollo Hospitals join hands to provide access to quality healthcare and easy finance at scale:
- HDFC Bank and Apollo Hospitals have joined hands to launch The Healthy Life Programme, a holistic healthcare solution which makes healthy life accessible and affordable on Apollo’s digital platform, Apollo 24/7.
- The programme is created exclusively for HDFC customers who will get round the clock access to emergency Apollo Doctor at No Cost on Apollo 24/7 along with a plethora of benefits such as choice of payment options and ease of finance for treatments at Apollo Hospitals.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Infosys to acquire US-based Blue Acorn iCi for $125 million:
- Infosys announced to acquire US-based Blue Acorn iCi, an Adobe Platinum partner, provider of digital customer experience, commerce and analytics solutions for $125 million. Acquisition will to add to company’s capabilities in digital commerce marketplace.
Bangalore Metro Rail Corp Ltd inks MoUs with corporate companies to develop metro stations:
- Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) has signed MoUs with the corporate companies to develop upcoming metro stations under their CSR funds. The proposed metro line between Electronic city and Bangalore International airport will now get CSR funds for the development and maintenance of metro stations.
- Infosys foundation has come forward to pay Rs. 200 crore for the construction of Konappana Agrahara metro station near the Electronic city. Biocon Foundation will be funding Rs. 65 crore for the construction of Hebbagodi Metro station.
Science and Technology
AYUSH ministry signs MoU with Amity University to promote research in Ayurvedic sciences:
- All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) under the AYUSH ministry has inked an MoU with the Amity University for promoting research in Ayurvedic sciences for promoting and developing the AYUSH systems of healthcare.
- The memorandum of understanding (MoU) of the AIIA is with the Amity Institute of Indian System of Medicine, which was established in 2018 by the Amity University.
IIT Delhi-incubated Startup Launches Antimicrobial Water Storage Containers ‘AqCure’:
- IIT Delhi-incubated startup Nanosafe Solutions has developed a range of antimicrobial mixing traditional science with nanotechnology i.e. antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal water storage containers and launched it as “AqCure”, which is based on the inherent antimicrobial properties of copper.
IIT Kharagpur Develops Robotic Solution for Plant Disease Identification and Pesticide Use:
- IIT Kharagpur has designed robotic system capable of identifying plant diseases through camera-captured image analysis & spraying pesticide.
- It is a tracked mobile manipulator aims to achieve conflicting objectives of increased productivity, improved quality.
IIT Guwahati Startup Sahara develops mobile App for Offline to Online Biz Services:
- Sahara is a hyperlocal-tech startup of the students of the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, has developed a mobile application that lets offline business owners create synergy with customers and potential business partners on a global platform.
- The features on this app will also guarantee accurate navigating experience, especially to travelers, in the form of local language translation service, security for travelers by providing assistance in establishing contact with respective traveler’s embassy in case of emergency, emergency, and SOS service especially for women, etc.
RBI extends CMD R. K. Chhibber’s tenure by further six months at Jammu & Kashmir Bank:
- RBI has extended the term of R. K. Chhibber, Chairman and MD of Bank by a further period of 6 months w.e.f. 10th Oct 2020 or till the appointment of MD & CEO, whichever is earlier.
- In June 2019, RBI had appointed Chhibber as interim CMD on the removal of Parvez Ahmed.
Kyrgyzstan’s Parliament Elected Sadyr Zhaparov as Acting PM After the Resignation of Former PM Kubatbek Boronov:
- Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Kubatbek Boronov and Speaker of the Parliament Dastan Dzhumabekov resigned recently for amid protests in the country.
- Member of the parliament Myktybek Abdyldaev was elected as speaker of the parliament and opposition leader Sadyr Zhaparov became the acting prime minister.
- The parliament nominated Sadyr Zhaparov as the prime minister after he was released from the prison following the protest.
Awards and Recognitions
American poet Louise Gluck awarded 2020 Nobel Literature prize:
- Louise Gluck has won 2020 Nobel Prize in Literature for her “Unmistakable Poetic Voice” that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal.
- Prof at Yale University, Glück made her debut in 1968 with her collection titled ‘Firstborn’.
- They include “The Wild Iris,” for which she won a Pulitzer Prize in 1993, and “Faithful and Virtuous Night,” about mortality and grief, from 2014.
- She was named the United States’ poet laureate in 2003.
- The Nobel Prize for Literature has been awarded after several years of controversy and scandal for the world’s pre-eminent literary accolade.
- The prize was announced in Stockholm by Mats Malm, the permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy.
Union minister and LJP founder Ram Vilas Paswan passes away at 74:
- Union minister for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution and founder of Lok Janshakti Party Ram Vilas Paswan passed away.
- He was elected to Lok Sabha eight times and also held the record of winning his constituency, Hajipur, with the highest margin for several years.
Mexican Scientist and Nobel winner Mario Molina Passed away at 77:
- Mario Molina, only Mexican scientist to be honored with Nobel Prize in chemistry, 1995 passed away.
- He won prize along with F.S. Rowland of US & P. Crutzen of the Netherlands for their research into climate change.
Veteran Marathi actor Avinash Kharshikar passes away:
- Veteran Marathi actor Avinash Kharshikar died. He was a well-known for his comic acting in the Marathi industry and he worked with other well-known names in the Marathi industry like Ashok Saraf and the late Laxmikanth Berde.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 9, 2020 now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.