DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: DECEMBER 21, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: DECEMBER 21, 2018
Daily Current Affairs (December 21, 2018) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
10 monuments adopted under the ‘Adopt A Heritage’ project
- The ‘Adopt A Heritage: Apni Dharohar, Apni Pehchaan’, scheme launched on 27th September, 2017 is a collaborative effort by Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Culture and Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), State/UTs Governments and envisages development and maintenance of tourist amenities at heritage sites and making them tourist friendly, to enhance tourism potential and cultural importance in a planned and phased manner.
- Dalmia Bharat Ltd – Gandikota Fort (Andhra Pradesh), Red Fort (Delhi).
- Adventure Tour Operators Association of India – Area surrounding Gangotri Temple and Trail to Gaumukh (Uttrakhand) Mt. Stok Kangri Trek, Lakakh (Jammu and Kashmir).
- Apeejay Park Hotels – Jantar Mantar (Delhi)
- Bliss Inns (V-Resorts) – Surajkund (Haryana)
- Yatra Online – Qutub Minar (Delhi); Ajanta Caves (Maharashtra); Leh Palace, Leh (Jammu & Kashmir); Hampi (Hazara Rama Temple) Karnataka.
Gujarat best state in providing strong ecosystem for startups: DIPP ranking
Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has awarded Gujarat as the best performer in Start-up Ranking 2018. Other states ranked top performers were Karnataka, Kerala, Odisha, and Rajasthan. As per DIPP’s statement, it has begun the ranking exercise since January 2016 and, it announced the results for the first ever States’ Start-up Ranking 2018 at an event in New Delhi.
NASSCOM partnered with IIT-Madras for training 4 million workforce in digital skills
Industry body NASSCOM has collaborated with the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras for its FutureSkills Platform that is targeted at re-skilling/upskilling four million people on digital skills. Under its FutureSkills Platform, Nasscom aims to re-skill/upskill four million people from the IT-ITeS industry, students entering the workforce and employees of other industries/government on digital skills.
Maharashtra govt approves Rs 4,089 crore for Tembhu irrigation scheme
The Maharashtra government has approved a sum of Rs 4,089 crore for the Tembhu lift irrigation scheme in Satara district. The scheme, which will also benefit Satara’s adjoining districts in Western Maharashtra, was approved by the state Cabinet. The irrigation project will benefit the perennially drought prone areas of Satara, Solapur and Sangli districts.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief minister: Devendra Fadnavis
- Governor: C. Vidyasagar Rao
President’s Rule imposed in Jammu and Kashmir after 22 years
The central government imposed President’s rule in Jammu and Kashmir starting from December 20, 2018, as the Governor’s rule expires in the state six months after it was imposed. President’s rule was first imposed in the state in 1986, whereas the previous instance of President Rule was 22 years ago.
JAMMU & KASHMIR
- Capitals: Jammu (Winter), Srinagar (Summer)
- Governor: Satya Pal Malik
Nitin Gadkari Inaugurates Projects Worth Rs. 9,533 Crore In Arunachal Pradesh
Union Minister for Road Transport Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone for national highway projects worth Rs. 9,533 crore in Arunachal Pradesh, in what is being seen as the biggest road infrastructure move by the Centre in the Northeast region.
The foundation was laid for the two-lane Akajan-Likabali-Bame and the Joram-Koloriang road on National Highway (NH) 713. The Union Minister also laid the foundation for the re-launch of Potin to Pangin of NH 229.
Meghalaya launches health insurance merging it with Ayushman
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma has launched the Meghalaya Health Insurance Scheme (MHIS-IV) in convergence with that of the Centre’s Ayushman Bharat scheme. The MHIS-IV targets to cover more than 8 lakh households offering over 2300 medical and surgical packages and up to Rs 5 lakh per family.The new scheme will be functional from February 1 next year.
- Capital: Shillong
- Chief Minister: Conrad Sangma
- Governor: Tathagata Roy
USA pulled out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty with Russia
- Russian government announced USA’s withdrawal from the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty. The treaty aimed to end arms race between USA and USSR during cold war and to ensure some strategic stability in Europe.
- Under this treaty, all the nuclear and conventional missiles with ranges of 500–1,000 km or (short-range) and 1,000–5,500 km (intermediate-range) were banned. It also banned the development, testing and possession of short and medium-range ground-launched nuclear missiles having ranged between 500 and 5,000 km.
New Zealand to phase out plastic shopping bags
- In New Zealand, regulations for mandatory phase-out of single-use plastic shopping bags will take effect from July 1, 2019. Retailers will no longer be able to sell or give away single-use plastic shopping bags from July next year after the cabinet agreed to the proposed regulations for a mandatory nationwide phase-out of these bags.
- These regulations are an important first step to tackle New Zealand’s wider waste problem. And manufacturers, retailers and consumers all have a responsibility to reduce waste and prevent plastic pollution.
BANKING & BUSINESS
IRDAI fines Iffco Tokio, Royal Sundaram Rs 5 lakh each
- Insurance regulator IRDAI said it has imposed fine of Rs 5 lakh each on Iffco Tokio and Royal Sundaram for violating motor tariff claims and file & use guidelines.
- Both Iffco Tokio General Insurance and Royal Sundaram General Insurance face similar charges of settling lesser amounts than the insured declared value in case of motor vehicle total loss/theft claims, as per two separate orders against the two firms.
Paisabazaar.com, Karnataka Bank in partnership to offer home loan products
- Paisabazaar.com, online marketplace for financial products, and Karnataka Bank have announced a strategic partnership to offer the bank’s home loan product to customers on the Paisabazaar platform.
- Through this partnership, consumers will now be able to choose and apply for a home loan from Karnataka Bank, directly through the Paisabazaar platform. Paisabazaar.com works with 30 partners for its home loan product, which includes country’s biggest private and public banks and Housing Finance Companies (HFCs).
RANKING & INDEXES
US Watchdog FAA Retains Highest Aviation Safety Ranking for India
- In a major boost, the US regulator FAA has retained the highest aviation safety ranking for India.
- The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) carried out an audit of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) in July this year. It is confirmed that India’s International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) rating remains ‘Category 1’.
- Category 1 means the carriers from the assessed state may initiate or continue service to the US in a normal manner and take part in reciprocal code-share arrangements with American carriers.
India fifth-most deadliest place to be a journalist, Afghanistan worst: Reporters without Borders (RSF)
The annual worldwide round-up of deadly violence and abusive treatment of journalists was released by Reporters without Borders (RSF). India fifth-most deadliest place to be a journalist, Afghanistan worst based on the annual worldwide round-up of deadly violence and abusive treatment of journalists was released by Reporters without Borders (RSF).
The most Deadliest Place for Journalist is Afghanistan, 15 journalists were killed in 2018.The list is followed by Syria, Mexico, Yemen, and 6 were killed in India as well as in United States. The figure increased by eight percent to 80, and by 15 percent, in the category of number of professional journalists killed, from 55 in 2017 to 63 in 2018.
Harsh Vardhan Shringla appointed as the Indian ambassador to United States
Shri Harsh Vardhan Shringla (IFS:1984), presently High Commissioner to the People’s Republic of Bangladesh has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the United States of America.
WV Raman appointed India women’s team coach
Former India opener, W. V. Raman has been appointed the new coach of the Indian women’s cricket team. Raman is a vastly-experienced coach having been in charge of Tamil Nadu and India Under-19 teams in the past. Raman has represented India in 11 Tests and 27 ODIs.
BWF Rankings: PV Sindhu jumps three spots
Olympic silver medalist PV Sindhu has climbed 3 spots to Number 3 in the latest world badminton rankings. She moved up after claiming a win against Nozomi Okuhara of Japan in last week’s BWF World Tour Finals in Guangzhou, China, for her first title of the year.
Among other established shuttlers from India, Saina Nehwal remains at the ninth position. Kidambi Srikanth is still eighth while HS Prannoy has moved one place to 20th and Sai Praneeth has risen one rung to 22nd.
For a better experience, we urge the aspirants to attend the tests in Bankersdaily Android App.