DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 06 & 07, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 06 & 07 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of Clean Air for blue skies- 7 September:
- September 7, 2020 marked the 1st-ever International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies as part of a resolution taken by UN on December 19, 2019. It intends to emphasize on the ill-effects of air population and calls for action against the environmental evil.
- The theme for 2020 is “Clean Air for All”.
Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar to chair a webinar on first ever International Day of Clean Air For Blue SkiesL:
- Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar to chair a webinar on the first-ever International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies. He will review the progress of the activities under the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) during the course of the webinar.
Andhra Pradesh tops Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP) ranking of states 2019:
- Andhra Pradesh has topped the 4th edition of the Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP) ranking of states for 2018-19. It is also known as The Ease of Doing Business rankings. The ranking was announced by Nirmala Sitharaman, Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs.
- Uttar Pradesh is ranked second and Telangana is ranked third in the ranking. Till date, State Rankings have been released for the years 2015, 2016 and 2017-18. The latest one is the fourth edition for 2018-19.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Andhra Pradesh to float India’ largest solar tender for 10 GW capacities:
- Andhra Pradesh government to float India’s largest solar tender for setting up 10 GW capacity. AP has around 7.7 GW of solar and wind projects & has India’s second-largest installed capacity of clean energy. AP Green Energy Corporation Ltd (APGECL) to be the nodal agency. This mega solar bid aims to entail a ₹35,000 crore investment.
Andhra Pradesh government signs MoUs with Netherlands, 7 firms on food processing, marketing:
- Andhra Pradesh State government signed Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) with the Netherlands government and seven companies in food processing, marketing and technologies, to benefit the horticulture and aquaculture farmers across the State.
- The MoUs were signed in the presence of Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, Agriculture Minister K Kannababu, Andhra Pradesh State Agriculture Mission vice-chairperson MVS Nagi Reddy and Special Chief Secretary (Agriculture) Poonam Malakondaiah.
Assam re-launches self-employment scheme SVAYEM worth Rs 1,000 crore:
- The state government of Assam re-launched an old scheme titled ‘Swami Vivekananda Assam Youth Empowerment (SVAYEM)’ which aims to provide self-employment to around 2 lakh youths of the state.
- The SVAYEM scheme was launched by the government in 2017-18. Under the scheme, the state government would provide Rs 50,000 each as seed money to selected youths to start business ventures.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park or Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park.
First-ever cannabis medicine project to come up in Jammu:
- Union minister Jitendra Singh announced that the first-ever cannabis medicine project will soon be set up in Jammu. The cannabis medicine project will be set up with the collaboration of Canada at the Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM) in Jammu.
Jammu and Kashmir:
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Governor: Manoj Sinha
Jammu and Kashmir LG Launches SPARROW System For J-K Administrative Service Officers:
- Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha launched Smart Performance Appraisal Report Recording Online Window (SPARROW) system for Jammu and Kashmir Administrative Service officers, at Raj Bhavan.
3rd Rashtriya Poshan Maah being celebrated in September 2020 to promote nutrition among Women and Children:
- The 3rd Rashtriya Poshan Maah is being celebrated in September 2020 to address the problem of malnutrition among women and young children. Every year Poshan Maah is celebrated all over the country under POSHAN Abhiyaan, launched in 2018.
- The aim behind the celebration of Poshan Maah is to encourage Jan Bhagidaari in order to ensure health and nutrition for everyone.
Karnataka approves Rs. 600-cr watershed project ‘REWARD’ with World Bank assistance:
- Karnataka Cabinet has approved a project titled ‘Rejuvenating Watersheds for Agriculture Resilience through Innovative Development’ (REWARD). The REWARD project is designed to ensure soil and water conservation in 20 taluks with low groundwater levels in Karnataka.
- The total cost of this project is Rs 600 crore. The World Bank will fund 70% of the project amount, which amounts to Rs 420 crore, whereas, 30% of the expenses (Rs 180 crore) will be borne by the state government of Karnataka.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
State of Young Child in India Report released by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu:
- Kerala, Goa, Tripura, Tamil Nadu & Mizoram are among the top 5 States for well-being of children according to a report by NGO Mobile Creches. The index was constructed for 2 time periods – 2005–2006 and 2015–2016. India spent ₹1,723 per child in 2018–2019.
Virudhunagar district of Tamil Nadu selected as fully Digital Economy district:
- Virudhunagar district of Tamil Nadu, which houses a large number of small and medium enterprises, especially in the fire crackers and allied sectors, has been selected by the Central Government as the state’s first Fully Digital Economy district.
- These include widespread use of ATM debit cards, increased usage of internet banking, widespread use of QR codes etc.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor:Banwarilal Purohit.
Prahlad Singh Patel Represented India in 5th BRICS Culture Ministers’ Meeting Held Virtually:
- The 5th BRICS Culture Ministers’ Meeting was held under the chairpersonship of Russian Federation. India was represented by Union Minister of State (I/C) for Culture and Tourism Shri Prahlad Singh Patel in the 5th BRICS Culture Ministers’ Meet.
Bangladesh to host FAO Asia-Pacific regional conference for first time in 2022:
- The member states agreed to the proposal of Bangladesh to hold the next session in Dhaka at a virtual meeting after the 35th APRC of the Food and Agriculture Organisation, Agriculture Minister Abdur Razzaque said at a media briefing at Hotel Intercontinental.
- “China, India, Bhutan, Iran, Timor-Leste, Thailand, Philippines and Cambodia directly supported and the other states agreed to the proposal to hold the 36th conference in Bangladesh.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- President: Abdul Hamid
Banking and Economy
RBI Releases Revised Priority Sector Lending Guidelines:
- The Reserve Bank of India has reviewed the priority sector guidelines to align it with emerging national priorities and bring a sharper focus on inclusive development.
- Some new categories eligible for finance under the priority sector have been added like- Bank finance to start-ups (up to Rs 50 crore).
- Loan limits for renewable energy have been increased (doubled). from Rs 15 lakhs to Rs 30 lakhs.
Acquisitions and Mergers
WhatsApp partners with Cyber Peace Foundation to drive cyber safety awareness:
- Facebook-owned WhatsApp has partnered Cyber Peace Foundation (CPF) to create awareness on cyber safety among students.
- The partners aim to reach about 15,000 students in five Indian states Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and Maharashtra by the end of this year under the first phase of a pan-India programme.
IIT Roorkee inks MoU with NIUA for collaboration in building accessible, safe and inclusive Indian cities:
- The National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) has signed an MoU with IIT Roorkee for collaboration in areas of universal design principles and inclusive development in the backdrop of ‘Building Accessible Safe Inclusive Indian Cities’ (BASIIC).
Science and Technology
SpaceX launches 60 Starlink satellites, inches closer to faster internet:
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX has successfully sent 60 Starlink internet satellites aboard the Falcon 9. The satellites are meant to provide ‘Cheaper And Faster’ internet to inaccessible areas. The satellites in its initial tests had provided over 100 Mbps speeds.
China Launched Reusable Experimental Spacecraft on a Long March-2F Carrier Rocket:
- China’s experimental reusable spacecraft landed safely after orbiting the Earth for two days. It was launched with a Long March-2F rocket from the Jiuquan satellite Details of the craft remain secret but it may act like the US X-37B spaceplane.
Manisha Kapoor appointed as ASCI’s secretary-general:
- Advertising Standards Council of India has named Manisha Kapoor as its new secretary-general. Her mandate includes the consumer complaints redressal process as well as marketing, public relations and social media initiatives.
- She has been part of ASCI’s Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) for the past five years. She will take over from Shweta Purandare.
SEBI’s Manoj Kumar joins GIFT City’s regulatory body:
- Manoj Kumar, Chief General Manager at SEBI, has moved to Gujarat International Finance Tech (GIFT) City. He has joined as an Executive Director (ED) with the International Finance Services Centres Authority (IFSCA), which regulates GIFT City institutions and exchange trading.
Raj Srivastava appointed as India’s Ambassador to Republic of Croatia:
- Raj Kumar Srivastava has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Croatia. He is an IFS officer of 1997 batch and is presently serving as the Deputy Chief of Mission in the Embassy of India, Tokyo.
- Capital: Zagreb
- Currency: Croatian kuna
- Prime Minister: Andrej Plenkovic
- President: Zoran Milanovic.
ITC appoints Supratim Dutta as new CFO:
- Diversified conglomerate ITC has appointed Supratim Dutta Chief Financial Officer (CFO) as part of its organizational restructuring. He would be replacing Rajiv Tandon. Rajnikant Rai has been made the chief executive of agri-business.
Awards and Recognitions
Memphis’ Ja Morant wins 2019-20 Kia NBA Rookie of the Year Award:
- The Memphis Grizzlies’ Ja Morant has been named the 2019-20 Kia NBA Rookie of the Year. He is the second player to win the Rookie of the Year Award with the Grizzlies, joining Pau Gasol (2001-02). Morant received 99 first-place votes from a global panel of 100 sportswriters and broadcasters and earned 498 total points.
Books and Authors
Mr Goonmeet Singh Chauhan’s New Book ‘Invertonomics’ Talks about Transforming India:
- Invertonomics is a book of ideas presenting pragmatic models for solving chronic problems of the country arising from the spectrum of Social Inequality, Pollution, Gender disparity, and Decadent Rural Economy.
Veteran Producer-Director Johnny Bakshi passes away at 82:
- Veteran producer-director Johnny Bakshi has passed away after suffering a cardiac arrest. He was 82. Johnny Bakshi mostly worked as a producer, in his career spanning over four decades.
- He was best known for producing films such as Raavan (1984), Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee (1993), and Manzilein Aur Bhi Hain (1974).
Tom Seaver, Mets legend and Baseball Hall of Famer, passes away at age 75:
- Longtime big leaguer and Hall of Famer Tom Seaver has passed away. He was 75. Seaver was named the NL Rookie of the Year after throwing 251 innings with a 2.76 ERA in 1967. He won three Cy Young awards (1969. 1973, 1975) and was selected to 12 All-Star Games.
Pierre Gasly wins Italian Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton finished seventh after a time penalty:
- France’s Pierre Gasly won an astonishing Italian Grand Prix thriller for Italy-based AlphaTauri. McLaren’s Spaniard Carlos Sainz finished a close second. The victory was a first in F1 for Gasly, the first for a French driver since Olivier Panis in 1996.
England cricketer Ian Bell announces retirement from professional cricket:
- Cricketer Ian Bell from England has announced that he will retire from all forms of cricket at the end of the 2020 domestic season. Ian Bell, 38, retired from ODIs in 2015 to focus on Test cricket.
- He is a five-time Ashes winner and has spent his entire career with Warwickshire.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.