DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 09, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 09 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day to Protect Education from Attack- 9 September:
- International Day to Protect Education from Attack to be celebrated for the first time in 2020. It draws attention to the plight of more than 75 million 3-to-18-year-olds living in 35 crisis-affected countries & to their urgent need of educational support.
- Theme for 2020: “Protect Education, Save a Generation”.
Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurates 22 bamboo clusters in 9 states:
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated 22 bamboo clusters in nine states by virtual mode. Indian Forest Act 1927 was amended in 2017 to remove bamboo for the category of trees so that anyone can undertake cultivation and business in bamboo.
India and ADB sign 500 million US dollar loan for Delhi-Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System corridor:
- India and the ADB signed a 500 million US dollar loan for Delhi-Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) This is the first tranche of a total one-billion-dollar facility. The 82-km long corridor will reduce the journey time to one hour.
Haryana CM Launches 1st of its Kind Educational Chatbot “Apka Mitra” & Online Admission Platform for UG courses:
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar virtually launched an online platform for admission to undergraduate courses in government-aided and self-financed colleges.
- Khattar also launched first-of-its-kind educational whatsapp chatbot ‘Apka Mitra’ to resolve any admission related queries of the students.
- Chief Minister:Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor:Satyadev Narayan Arya
- National Parks(NP):Sultanpur NP, Kalesar NP
- Dance:Phag, Dhamal, Loor, Khoria.
NABARD organizes awareness cum sensitization programme for newly proposed FPO in J&K:
- In Jammu and Kashmir awareness cum sensitization programme for newly proposed Farmer Producer Organizations (FPO) was organized by NABARD in coordination with District Administration in Anantnag.
- The programme was organized to promote sustainable and equitable agriculture and rural prosperity through effective credit support related services, institutional development and other initiatives.
Fruits & vegetables in J&K covered under ‘Operation Green’s TOP to TOTAL’ scheme:
- Centre has brought majority of fruits and vegetables grown in Jammu under a fresh initiative of Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan. All the fruits and vegetables in J&K will be covered under the ‘Operation Green’s TOP to TOTAL’ scheme.
- The scheme has been extended from Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) to all fruits and vegetables (TOTAL) for a period of six months.
Jammu and Kashmir:
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Lt Governor: Manoj Sinha
- National Parks: Hemis National Park, City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park, Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar National Park.
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: Changthang Cold Desert WLS, Gulmarg WLS, Jasrota WLS, Baltal-Thajwas WLS, Karakoram (Nubra Shyok) WLS.
Prime Minister virtually inaugurates Patrika Gate in Jaipur, Rajasthan:
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the Patrika Gate in Jaipur, Rajasthan through video conference on 8th September 2020.
- The Iconic Gate is built by the Rajasthan-based Patrika Group of Newspapers on the Jawaharlal Nehru Marg in Jaipur, to bring together the art, craft, and cultural heritage of all the regions of Rajasthan at one place.
- Chief Minister:Ashok Gehlot
- Governor:Kalraj Mishra
Cabinet approves asset monetization of subsidiaries of PGCIL through Infrastructure Trust:
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved Asset Monetization of subsidiaries of Power Grid Corporation of India Limited through Infrastructure Investment Trust (InvIT). It will undertake monetization of its Tariff Based Competitive Bidding assets.
World Bank approves USD 82 mn for Himachal Pradesh State Roads Transformation project:
- World Bank has approved loan amount worth $82 million for the implementation of Himachal Pradesh State Roads Transformation Project which will strengthen transport and road safety institutions of Himachal Pradesh by improving the condition, safety, resilience, and engineering standards of state road network.
- Chief Minister:Jai Ram Thakur
- National Parks: Inderkila National Park, Simbalbara National Park, Great Himalayan National Park, Pin Valley National Park, Khirganga National Park.
Kerala tops literacy rate chart with 96.2%; Andhra Pradesh worst performer at 66.4%: Report by NSO:
- Kerala has once again emerged as the most literate state in the country With 96.2 per cent literacy while Andhra Pradesh featured at the bottom with a rate of 66.4 per cent, showed a report based on National Statistical Office (NSO)
- On the other hand, Rajasthan is the second worst performer with literacy rate at 69.7 per cent, followed by Bihar at 70.9 per cent, Telangana at 72.8 per cent, UP at 73 per cent and Madhya Pradesh at 73.7 per cent.
- The report on ‘Household Social Consumption: Education in India as part of 75th round of National Sample Survey – from July 2017 to June 2018′ provides for state-wise detail of literacy rate among the persons aged seven years and above.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Eurasian Foundation organised Indo-Russian Young Scholars International E-Conference 2020:
- Indo-Russian Young Scholars International E-Conference 2020 on “India-Russia domestic and bilateral developments” organized by Eurasian Foundation: India, Institute of Oriental Studies: Moscow, Russia and Russian Centre for Science and Culture: New Delhi, India on the eve of celebration of 20th year of strategic partnership. 2020 Conference “India-Russia domestic & bilateral developments”.
First World Solar Technology Summit of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) held Virtually:
- Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated the first edition of the World Solar Technology Summit (WSTS) of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) with focus on new Technologies and Innovations in the field of Solar.
- World Solar Technology Summit (WSTS) was organized by ISA and FICCI. India is to achieve its ambitious target of having 100 GW of solar energy by 2022.
International Solar Alliance (ISA)
- Headquarters: Gurugram
- Founded at: Paris, France
- Founded: 30 November 2015
Banking and Economy:
Mahindra Insurance Brokers launches digital insurance portal “PayBima”:
- Mahindra Insurance Brokers (MIBL) has launched a digital insurance portal, “PayBima” to help customers directly buy insurance policies online providing end-to-end services. Customers will be able to buy car, two-wheeler, health and life insurance products.
Bank of India launches ‘Signature Visa Debit Card’ for High Net Worth Individuals:
- Bank of India (BoI) launched “Signature Visa Debit Card” for the affluent/high net worth individuals maintaining an average quarterly balance of ₹10 lakhs and above.
- BOI virtually inaugurated new buildings of Rural Self Employment Training Institutes (RSETI) at Barabanki, Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) and Giridih (Jharkhand).
Bank of India (BOI):
- Headquarters: Mumbai, India
- Non-Exe Chairman: Padmanabhan
- MD & CEO : Atanu Kumar Das
- Tagline: ”Relationship Beyond Banking”.
Fitch Ratings Projects Indian economy to contract 10.5% in FY21:
- US-based Fitch Ratings Global Economic Outlook (GEO) has sharply lowered the forecast for the gross domestic product (GDP) growth of India for the current fiscal 2020-21 (FY21) and now expects the GDP to contract 5 percent.
- The downward revision comes after India’s GDP shrank by 9% year-on-year in the April-June quarter, the worst performance in nearly four decades.
India GDP to contract 11.8 growth to rebound to 9.9 in FY22; India Ratings
- Domestic rating agency India Ratings and Research revised downward the country’s FY21 GDP growth forecast to (-) 11.8 per cent, lowest in Indian history, from an earlier estimate of (-) 5.3 per cent.
- The rating agency also expects India’s GDP to rebound and grow at 9.9% year-on-year in FY22 primarily due to the weak base of FY21.
- The Indian economy contracted by a record 23.9% in 1st (April-June) quarter of FY21, which is much higher than Ind-Ra’s forecast of 17.0%.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Atal Innovation Mission partners with Freshworks to empower AIM start-ups:
- To provide robust support to innovators and entrepreneurs, Atal Innovation Mission of NITI Aayog has partnered with Freshworks to increase the efficacy of the institutions and start-ups in the AIM portfolio and foster innovation among innovators.
NSDC and Linkedin Partner To Accelerate Digital Skills Training For Youth:
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and LinkedIn announced a partnership to provide access to free learning resources for digital skills that are in demand.
- According to LinkedIn data, Indian professionals with digital skills were 20 per cent more in demand than professionals without digital skills in 2020.
National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Managing Director: Manish Kumar
STEP app Partnered with Tribal Affairs Ministry to implement gamified learning app across all tribal schools:
- Student Talent Enhancement Program Application (STEPapp) has received a mandate from the Indian Ministry of Tribal Affairs to implement its gamified learning app across all tribal schools in the country.
- This is the first time a government institution has tied up with an Indian EdTech startup on a monetised project. This initiative will benefit more than 5 lakh students from grades 1 to 12 across the country immediately and will expand the scope.
TCS partners with TPT South Africa for pioneering Logistics Supply Chain Transformation:
- IT major, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), has partnered with Transnet Port Terminals (TPT) in South Africa to help the latter develop an integrated online marketplace platform by bringing together cargo owners, shipping lines, clearing and forwarding agents, and road haulers.
International Solar Alliance Signs MoUs With NTPC, MNRE And World Bank:
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy along with World Bank will design the plan for implementing ‘One Solar One World and One Grid’; NTPC will implement the solar projects in 47 ISA member countries.
International Solar Alliance (ISA)
- Headquarters: Gurugram
- Founded at: Paris, France
- Founded: 30 November 2015
Science and Technology:
WIHG Developed a Neural-Based Practical Approach for Automatic Interpretation of 3D Seismic Data:
- In order to accelerate the analytical process, scientists from the Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology (WIHG), an autonomous Institute under the Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India, have developed a neural-based (machine learning-based) practical approach for automatic interpretation of 3D seismic data.
Dell Technologies and NITI Aayog’s AIM Launches “SheCodes Innovation Challenge”, Aimed at Championing Girl-Led Innovation:
- Dell Technologies in association with NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) launches ‘SheCodes Innovation Challenge’, aimed to encourage girls to create, tinker, sustain and innovate.
- This collaboration has proved to be useful for students and educators alike, for that has enabled them to work with state-of-the-art technologies, systems and software.
Chandrayaan-3 launch likely to take place in early 2021: Jitendra Singh:
- Minister of State for the Department of Space Jitendra Singh stated that Chandrayaan-3, India’s mission to Moon, would be launched in early 2021. Singh added that Chandrayaan-3 will be different from Chandrayaan-2 as the former will not have an orbiter, but will include a lander and a rover.
Awards and Recognitions:
British Broadcaster David Attenborough Awarded Indira Gandhi Peace Prize:
- Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh conferred the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize on British broadcaster David Attenborough at a virtual event.
- The Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development was instituted in the memory of the former prime minister by a trust in her name in 1986. It consists of a monetary award of ₹ 25 lakh along with a citation.
Books and Authors:
Author Radha Nair on her book ‘Breaking The Cocoon @ 40’:
- Radha Nair’s ‘Breaking The Cocoon @ 40’ is a delightful collection of select events from her life, which also holds a mirror to the time the incidents are set in. The book ends with a moving poem written on the eve of her husband’s first death anniversary.
Actor Jaya Prakash Reddy Dies At 74:
- Actor Jaya Prakash Reddy, who was best-known for his comic and villainous roles in Telugu films, died. Jaya Prakash Reddy featured in a number of Telugu and Tamil films like Brahma Puthrudu, Samarasimha Reddy, Uthamaputhiran, Aaru, etc.,
Swiss Parachutist Raphael Domjan makes world’s first jump from solar-powered plane:
- A parachutist Raphael Domjan has completed the world’s first jump from a solar-powered aircraft. Raphael Domjan reached a speed of 93mph (150kph) before releasing his parachute and landing safely in Payerne, western Switzerland.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.