Daily Current Affairs: September 29, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (September 29, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Week of the Deaf: September (21-27):
- Every year, the last full week of September ending on the last Sunday is observed as the International Week of the Deaf (IWD). In 2020, it was held from September 21-27. Last Sunday of the month of September and that day is celebrated as the World Day of Deaf or International Day of the Deaf (September 27, 2020).
- Theme: “Reaffirming Deaf People’s Human Rights”
World Heart Day- September 29:
- World Heart Day is celebrated on 29 September annually to draw people’s attention to heart illness and the range of associated health issues. The day was created by the World Heart Federation, to raise awareness about cardiovascular disease, including heart disease and stroke.
- Theme: “Use Heart to Beat: for society, your loved ones and you”
International Day of Awareness on Food Loss and Waste Reduction- September 29:
- 1st International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste is observed on 29th Sept. 2020. In 2019, UN designated 29 September as Int. Day of Awareness of Food Loss & Waste recognizing the vital role sustainable food production plays in promoting food security.
- Theme: “Stop food loss and waste. For the people. For the planet”
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan launches ICMR’s vaccine web portal and National Clinical Registry:
- Union Health Ministry launched a web portal that will provide all important information on COVID-19, vaccine development, ongoing clinical trials and progress made in this area locally and globally.
- National Clinical Registry will collect data concerning clinical and laboratory investigations, treatments, management protocols and outcomes of hospitalized COVID patients in India.
Prime Minister Modi to inaugurate 6 mega projects in Uttarakhand under “Namami Gange Mission”:
- Prime Minister Modi will inaugurate 6 mega projects in Uttarakhand under Namami Gange Mission through video conference Projects include construction of 68MLD Sewage Treatment Plant (STP), upgradation of the existing 27 MLD at Jagjeetpur & construction of 18 MLD STP at Sarai.
- He will also inaugurate ‘Ganga Avalokan’, the first museum on Ganga aimed at showcasing the culture, biodiversity and rejuvenation activities done in the river. The museum is located at Chandi Ghat, Haridwar.
India extends $15 million grant for the promotion of Buddhist ties with Sri Lanka:
- India announced grant assistance of $15 million for the promotion of Buddhist ties with Sri Lanka besides affirming to expand defense partnership eyeing to stabilize the Southern Indian Ocean.
- These decisions were announced at the first ever virtual summit between PM Narendra Modi and Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Banking and Economy:
RBI approves 3-member committee of directors Headed by Meeta Makhan to manage Lakshmi Vilas Bank:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved a three-member committee of directors to run the day-to-day functioning of cash strapped Lakshmi Vilas Bank. RBI approved 3 independent directors namely, Meeta Makhan, Chairperson of the CoD, Shakti Sinha, Member and Satish Kumar Kalra, Member. Meeta Makhan is the head of this Committee of Directors (CoD).
RBI extends enhanced borrowing limit for banks under MSF till March 31, 2021:
- RBI had increased the borrowing limit for scheduled banks under the Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) scheme from 2 per cent to 3 per cent of their Net Demand and Time Liabilities (NDTL) with effect from March 27, 2020.
- Normally, banks are allowed to avail maximum funds under MSF from RBI at 2% of its net demand and time liabilities (NDTL).
- After COVID-19, RBI had allowed banks to dip 1% extra to this limit that is now banks could borrow money from RBI under MSF, at 3%.
RBI to launch “Positive Pay System” for Cheque Truncation System from January, 2021:
- Reserve Bank of India has announced that it will launch “Positive Pay System” for Cheque Truncation System from 01st January, 2021.The “Positive Pay System” will be developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and make it available to participant banks.
- Banks will be required to enable the system for all account holders issuing cheques for amounts of Rs 50,000 and above.
India’s GDP to contract 11% in FY21: ICRA
- Rating Agency ICRA has revised its FY21 forecast for the contraction in India’s GDP downwards to 11 per cent from its earlier projection of 9.5 per cent due to fresh Covid-19 infections remaining elevated at the end of Q2 (July-September) FY21.
HDFC Bank launches India’s first Warehouse Commodity Finance App:
- HDFC Bank launched a Warehouse Commodity Finance App. This will enable customers in drawing down and managing the loan against pledge of commodities online without physical intervention or multiple visits to a Bank branch.
- The new app will greatly benefit agri processors, traders and farmers who are primary beneficiaries of WHR loans (Warehouse Receipt Loans).
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Epic Games acquires Microsoft-backed kidtech platform SuperAwesome:
- Epic Games has acquired London-based kidtech platform SuperAwesome to build a wide range of kid-safe services.
- SuperAwesome gives developers the tools to create safer digital experiences for younger audiences.
Online tutoring platform Vedantu ropes in Aamir Khan as brand ambassador:
- India’s second most valued EdTech start-up Vedantu and a pioneer in LIVE online tutoring has named Bollywood actor, director & filmmaker Aamir Khan for its new ad campaigns.
- With a simple tagline, “Samaj Aayega toh Maza Ayega, Maza Ayega toh Samajh Ayega”, the 6-ad film series conceptualized by The Script Room.
Kerala startup Entri signs up Robin Uthappa as brand ambassador:
- A local language learning app Entri has signed up Rajasthan Royals cricketer Robin Uthappa as its brand ambassador and has also partnered with Hotstar to run ad campaigns in five different languages throughout the IPL 2020.
Alapan Bandyopadhyay appointed as New Chief Secretary of West Bengal:
- Alapan Bandyopadhyay will take over as West Bengal Chief Secretary succeeding Rajiva Sinha.
- He is currently in charge of the State’s Home and Hill Affairs Department.
- H.K. Dwivedi will be the new Home Secretary of West Bengal.
Twitter Appoints Rinki Sethi as New Information Security Head:
- Social media company Twitter has appointed Rinki Sethi, a former information security executive at IBM, as its chief information security officer.
- She had previously worked as VP of information security at cyber-security firm Palo Alto Networks.
Mali’s Former Foreign Minister Moctar Ouane appointed as new Prime Minister:
- Mali’s transitional president has appointed former minister of foreign affairs, Moctar Ouane, as the West African nation’s prime minister days after being sworn into office.
- He served as foreign minister between 2004 and 2011 during Amadou Toumani Toure’s presidency.
Senior bureaucrat PD Vaghela appointed new TRAI chairman:
- Government has appointed PD Vaghela, secretary, department of pharmaceuticals, as the new TRAI chairman for a period of three years or until he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- Vaghela is an IAS officer of 1986 batch from Gujarat cadre.
Awards and Recognitions
Usha Mangeshkar Gets Lata Mangeshkar Award for 2020-21 by Maharashtra Government:
- Maharashtra announced the Gan Samragni Lata Mangeshkar award for the year 2020-21 to veteran female playback singer Usha Mangeshkar. Award is given by cultural dept of the state government She has sung songs in Marathi, Hindi & several Indian language films.
Veteran Lyricist Abhilash passes away at 74:
- Veteran songwriter Abhilash, who penned down the song ‘Itni shakti hame dena daata’ from the 1986 film ‘Ankush’ passed away at 74 due to stomach illness.
- He had ghazals and stories published under this name before starting his career in the music industry.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of September 29, 2020 now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.