Daily Current Affairs: September 30, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (September 30, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Translation Day- 30 September:
- International Translation Day is celebrated every year on September 30 on the feast of St. Jerome, the Bible translator who is considered the patron saint of translators. The celebrations have been promoted by International Federation of Translators ever since it was set up in 1953.
- Theme: “Finding the words for a world in crisis”
Andhra Government Launches YSR Jala Kala Scheme To Facilitate Irrigation to Farmers:
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the ‘YSR Jala Kala’ scheme under which bore wells will be drilled to benefit small and medium farmers who have no open source of water for irrigation.
- The scheme is estimated to bring in five lakh acres under cultivation through groundwater irrigation.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park, Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Defence minister Rajnath Singh launches Defence India Startup Challenge-4, releases PMA guidelines for iDEX:
- Defence minister Rajnath Singh released the Project Management Approach (PMA) guidelines for iDEX (Innovations for Defence Excellence) during the launch function of Defence India Startup Challenge-4 (DISC4).
- “DISC-4” challenge will surge ahead of its earlier editions and promote Innovation and Development in the country. Similarly iDEX4 Fauji initiative will ensure the participation of our personnel in this program.
Gujarat government signs MoU with Denmark in water sector:
- Gujarat Water Supply and Sewerage Board has signed the MoU with ‘Danish Water Forum’ through an online interactive platform. This will help in technology exchange, training, capacity building, knowledge exchange, cooperation in water supply, wastewater treatment– reuse and water management between the two organizations.
- The MoU has been signed for a five-year period in order to set up Indo-Danish Water Technology Alliance in Gujarat and contribute to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- National Park: Blackbuck NP, Vansda NP, Gir Forest NP, Marine NP, Gulf of Kutch.
Maharashtra government launches cancer institute’s chemo recovery kits:
- Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh launched the ayurvedic ‘chemo recovery kits’ developed by a Pune-based cancer research institute and called for joint research by scientists in Ayurveda and modern medicine for cancer treatment.
- The chemo recovery kits, containing an ayurvedic formulation and developed by the Integrated Cancer Treatment and Research Centre of the Bharatiya Sanskriti Darshan Trust, Pune with financial assistance from the Tata Trusts, were launched by Koshyari at the Raj Bhavan.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Nagaland government launches livelihood generation programme for migrant returnees:
- Nagaland launched a dedicated online portal Livelihood Generation Programme for Returned Migrant Workers due to Covid-19.
- Scheme will provide awareness & re-orientation programme re-skilling of identified beneficiaries and seed money or monetary assistance.
- Chief Minister:Neiphiu Rio
- Governor:R N Ravi
Odisha government Signed MoU with CPR to launch JAGA Mission Stage-II:
- Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launched the stage II of JAGA Mission (Odisha Liveable Habitat Mission) from Balasore under which all slums in the State will be converted into Adarsh (ideal) colonies within the next 3 years.
- Centre for Policy Research (CPR) under its initiative ‘Scaling City Institutions for India: Land Planning and Housing (SCI-FI: LPH)’ has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Housing & Urban Development Department of Odisha as the knowledge partner of JAGA Mission in its second phase.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister:Naveen Patnaik
- Governor:Ganeshi Lal
Telangana government to Launch ‘Dharani’ Portal for Online Land Registration on Dussehra:
- Telangana Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao announced that the ‘Dharani’ portal for online registration of land properties in the state will be launched on Dussehra.
- The CM said that since people regard Vijayadasami as an auspicious day to start new programmes and activities, he will launch the portal the same day (October 25).
- Chief Minister:K. Chandrashekar Rao
- National Parks(NP):KasuBrahmananda Reddy NP, Mahaveer Harina NP, Mrugavani NP.
Banking and Economy
SEBI eases norms for REITs and InvITs to raise fund in institutional placement:
- Markets regulator SEBI provided relaxations to REITs and InvITs for preferential and institutional placement of their respective units.
- Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and Infrastructure Investment Trusts (InvITs) can now raise Equity Capital through institutional placement route two weeks after a previous such exercise.
- Earlier the allowed time gap was six months between two institutional placements.
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharshtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi.
IDBI Bank becomes the first bank to enable document embedding feature on SFMS:
- IDBI Bank has become the first lender to enable document embedding feature on a Structured Financial Messaging System (SFMS) managed by Indian Financial Technology and Allied Services (IFTAS). This new feature of “Document Embedding” provides banks with the functionality of transmitting a “PDF” document up to 1MB size along with the Letter of Credit (LC) / Bank Guarantee (BG) messages.
IRDAI identifies LIC, GIC, New India Assurance systemically important insurers 2020-21:
- IRDAI has identified Life Insurance Corporation of India(LIC), General Insurance Corporation of India(GIC) and New India Assurance Co. Ltd.(New India Assurance) as Domestic Systemically Important Insurers (D-SIIs) and subsequently decided to subject them to enhanced regulatory supervision.
IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority):
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Chairman: Subhash Chandra Khuntia.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Power Finance Corporation signs MoU with Ministry of Power detailing targets for FY 2020-21:
- Power Finance Corporation Ltd has signed a performance-based MoU with the Ministry of Power detailing various targets to be achieved by PFC during FY 2020-21. The MoU was signed by Power Secretary Sanjiv Nandan Sahai and CMD of PFC R.S. Dhillon.
Bombay Stock Exchange joins hands with Yes Bank to Empower SMEs:
- Leading stock exchange BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange) has signed a pact with private sector lender Yes Bank to empower the Small And Medium Enterprises (SMEs) listed on the platform.
- The pact aims at empowering the SME segment through awareness and knowledge-sharing programmes.
Flipkart Partners with Bajaj Allianz to launch Cyber Insurance to cover Online Financial Frauds:
- India’s homegrown e-commerce marketplace Flipkart and India’s leading private general insurer Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company have come together to offer ‘Digital Suraksha Group Insurance’ for customers who want to cover themselves against financial losses caused as a result of cyber-attacks, cyber frauds or other such malicious activities across various online platforms.
Science and Technology
South Eastern Railway launches ‘Operation My Saheli’ to enhance security of women passengers:
- South Eastern Railway has launched a project “Operation My Saheli” (friend) to boost the security of women passengers from the originating point to the destination.
- It has been introduced in three trains Howrah-Yeshvantpur Duronto Special, Howrah- Ahmedabad Special and Howrah-Mumbai Special.
- Project has been executed under the framework of the Nirbhaya Fund and does not involve any additional expenditure under the head of Railways.
Shekhar Kapur appointed president of FTII Society & chairman of FTII Governing Council:
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting announced Shekhar Kapur as the new President of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Society and Chairman of FTII Governing Council.
- His tenure will be till March 3, 2023. He has directed many critically acclaimed films.
- The Movies include Masoom, Mr. India, Bandit Queen and Elizabeth.
RBI appoints D K Kashyap Additional Director on Dhanlaxmi Bank board:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed D K Kashyap from its Bengaluru Regional Office as Additional Director on the board of Dhanlaxmi Bank for 2 years. In February 2020, G Jagan Mohan, General Manager, RBI, Bengaluru Regional Office, was appointed as Additional Director on the board of the bank for a period of two years.
Bandhan Bank appointed Former Bajaj Capital CEO Rahul Parikh as digital head:
- Bandhan Bank has appointed former Bajaj Capital chief executive Rahul Parikh as the Bank’s Digital Head as the bank broadens its digital presence to improve customer services. Parikh will be responsible for the digital banking business and for building a strong digital backbone to support the bank’s growth.
Awards and Recognitions
Mukesh Ambani tops Hurun India Rich List for 9th consecutive year:
- Reliance Industries Chairman and Asia’s richest man Mukesh Ambani has topped the IIFL Wealth Hurun India Rich List 2020 for the ninth consecutive year. He has a total net worth of Rs 6,58,400 crore.
- London-based Hinduja brothers (SP Hinduja, along with his three brothers) is at second position with combined net worth of Rs 1,43,700 crore followed by HCL’s Shiv Nadar at third spot with net worth of Rs 1,41,700 crore.
- Smita V Crishna has been named as India’s richest woman with a wealth of ₹32,400cr, according to IIFL Wealth Hurun India Rich List 2020. Biocon Chairperson Kiran Mazumdar Shaw was named India’s richest self-made woman with a wealth of ₹31,600cr.
‘Messiah of Migrants’ Sonu Sood honoured with Special Humanitarian Action Award by UNDP:
- Bollywood actor Sonu Sood has been conferred the prestigious SDG Special Humanitarian Action Award by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) during a virtual ceremony.
- He has been dubbed a “Messiah Of Migrants” for his philanthropic work during the pandemic-induced lockdown.
- Sonu Sood joins the likes of Angelina Jolie, David Beckham, Leonardo DiCaprio, Emma Watson, Liam Neeson, Cate Blanchett, Antonio Banderas, Nicole Kidman and Priyanka Chopra who have been similarly honoured by different UN bodies.
Books and Authors
Rajnath Singh launches a book titled “A bouquet of flowers” authoured by Dr Krishna Saksena:
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched a book “A bouquet of flowers” written by Dr Krishna Saksena the first lady to get PhD, way back in 1955 from Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh.
- It is the ninth book authored by the senior English Professor Krishna Saksena was launched at the New Delhi.
Noted writer and Sahitya Akademi awardee Dr GS Amur passes away at 95:
- Veteran critic and versatile writer Dr G S Amur died due to age-related ailments.
- The literateur, known for his proficiency in both Kannada and English, was a recipient of several prestigious honours, including the Sahitya Akademi Award, Rajyotsava Award and Bharatiya Bhasha Award.
Assam’s only woman CM Syeda Anwara Taimur passes away at 84:
- Syeda Anwara Taimur, the only woman to have become the Chief Minister of Assam till now, passed away in Australia.
- Taimur had been the Chief Minister of Assam from December 6, 1980 to June 30, 1981.
- She was nominated to the Rajya Sabha from Congress in 1988.
Kuwait Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Sabah Passed away at 91:
- Kuwait’s emir, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah, the architect of the nation’s modern foreign policy & one of the region’s most influential voices, passed away.
- His brother, Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Sabah, will be sworn in as his successor.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of September 30, 2020 now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.