CURRENT AFFAIRS WEEKLY ONE LINERS: AUGUST 1 – 7, 2018
CURRENT AFFAIRS WEEKLY ONE LINERS: AUGUST 1 – 7, 2018
Dear BankersDaily Aspirants,
Hope all of you have completed the RRB clerk prelims and RRB po prelims exams, some of you are waiting for the RRB po & clerk mains examination.Its the perfect time for your mains preparation.Start to learn Current Affairs section and score good marks in the upcoming examinations.
Here aspirants are provided with Aug 1 -7 Weekly oneliners.Collect the points in cripy manner and gather all the important current affairs in the first week of june.You can also download this as a pdf in the link provided below.
- The Union Government has decided to set up a High-Level Empowered Committee headed by Cabinet Secretary to address the issue of stressed thermal power assets. It was announced by union Power ministry.
- The National Health Agency (NHA) under the Health Ministry, which is the apex body for the implementation of Ayushman Bharat-National Health Protection Mission, inked an MoU with the Electronics and IT Ministry.The MoU aims to provide information and eligibility validation services to the beneficiaries, especially in remote areas.
- The United States has designated India as a Strategic Trade Authorization-1 (STA-1) country – a status that will allow the country to buy highly advanced and sensitive technologies from America.
- China has successfully launched an optical remote sensing satellite “Gaofen-11”, as part of its high-resolution Earth observation project which will also provide data for the Belt and Road Initiative.
- Kerala with 77 points has topped the list in the first edition of the State Energy Efficiency Preparedness Index. It was released by Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) and NITI Aayog.
- The External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will undertake a four-day visit to three Central Asian nations. The countries are Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan.
- The Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu has launched a tricolour logo and tagline for Geographical Indications (GI) to increase awareness about intellectual property rights (IPRs) in India. “Invaluable Treasures of Incredible India” is the tagline, printed below a GI Logo in Tricolour.
- The United States Congress has passed the National Defense Authorisation Act-2019 (NDAA-19) which limited its security-related aid to Pakistan to $150 million, significantly below the historic level of more than $ one billion to $750 million per year.
- India and Germany has signed agreements on financial and technical cooperation worth Rs 5,250 crore within the framework of the Indo-German development cooperation.
- The 11th World Hindi Conference or Vishwa Hindi Sammellan will be held at Mauritius’ Port Louis. It will be held at Swami Vivekananda International Conference Center.
- The UAE has launched a three-month visa amnesty programme. It will benefit hundreds of illegal foreign workers, including Indians, overstaying their permits by allowing them to leave the country without penalties and giving them six months to find a job.
- The NITI Aayog has launched Move Hack, a global mobility hackathon to crowdsource solutions aimed at the future of mobility in India.The Hackathon will be one of the largest hackathons globally and the Move Hack is focused on 10 themes.
- The advanced Air defence interceptor missile has been successfully test fired from Abdul Kalam Island.The missile has been built with indigenous technology.
- Rajasthan has become the first State in the country to implement the national policy on biofuels. Soon, the State Government will release Biofuel Rules for 2018.
- A two-day Indo-US Military Cooperation Meeting began in New Delhi as a prelude to 2 plus 2 Dialogue between the two countries scheduled next month.
- The Andhra Pradesh Government has approved the “Mukhyamantri Yuva Nestam” scheme that makes unemployed youth in the state, eligible of receiving Rs 1000 per month from the government.
- Dharmendra Pradhan, Hon’ble Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has inaugurated India’s first in-phone guide-Go Whats That at Rock Garden, Chandigarh.
- Ranchi’s Ranjit Srivastava has developed India’s answer to ‘Sophia’, the social humaniod robot, and named it ‘Rashmi’.According to media reports, Rashmi is a multilingual robot, who can speak several languages like Hindi, Bhojpuri and Marathi, other than English.
- The Ministry of Textiles and Ministry of Power have joined hands under the initiative SAATHI(Sustainable and Accelerated Adoption of efficient Textile technologies to Help Small Industries).
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the first extension of Concessional Financing Scheme(CFS) to support Indian Entities bidding for strategically important infrastructure projects abroad.
- The Indian-origin U.S. astronaut Sunita Williams is among the nine astronauts named by NASA.They will fly the first missions into space on commercially provided rockets and capsules, starting next year.
- In Madhya Pradesh, projects worth about 20,000 crore rupees are underway in seven cities under the Smart Cities Mission.
- FICCI Ladies Organisation, the women’s wing of Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry has launched a mobile application aimed at creating awareness on preventive Healthcare.
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched ‘horn not ok’ awareness campaign and ‘shaur nahin’ (no noise) mobile application, the campaign has been launched in Shimla and Manali
- The government of Karnataka launched the ‘Swachhameva Jayate’ campaign in a bid to step up the cleanliness and hygiene efforts of the state. It programme, implemented by the Rural Decelopment and Panchayat Raj Department of the state, will first focus on rural areas.
- The Loksabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has handed over 5 croreth LPG connection under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) in the Parliament House.
- The Government has approved 122 new research projects of 112 crore rupees under its Impacting Research Innovation and Technology ‘IMPRINT-2’ scheme.The initiative aims to advance research in energy, security, and healthcare domains in the high education institutions.
- The Mughalsarai Junction of Uttar Pradesh will be formally renamed after RSS ideologue Deen Dayal Uphadyay. The BJP president Amit Shah, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath will attend theceremony.
- The Tech Mahindra and the Telangana government signed an agreement to establish the Blockchain district, a first-of-its-kind Centre of Excellence for Blockchain.
- The Lok Sabha has passed a Bill establishing a National Sports University in Manipur as part of a vision to enhance country’s standing in sports.
- The Parliament has passed the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018 which ensures stringent punishment for those convicted of raping girls below 12 years of age.The bill was passed in the Lok Sabha last month and now it was unanimously passed in Rajya Sabha by voice vote.
- The Manipur government has constituted two separate committees, state and district level, to monitor the entry or presence of “illegal immigrants” in the state post publication of the final draft of NRC in Assam.
- The world’s first-ever facility to create thermal batteries will be inaugurated in Amaravati, Andhra Pradesh. The Thermal batteries will be manufactured by Bharat Energy Storage Technology Private Limited (BEST).
- The Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has launched the ‘Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana’.It is an ambitious scheme which promises to provide Rs 54,100 from the birth of a girl child till she graduates.
- India’s ambitious mission to the moon is postponed once again with a possible lift-off only in 2019. The Chandrayan-2 mission was earlier planned for October 2018 and is now rescheduled because of technical glitches.
- The Fugitive Economic Offenders’ Act, 2018, has got the nod from the President.It will prevent fugitive economic offenders from evading the legal process in India and fleeing the country.
- NITI Aayog’s International Conference on “Sustainable Growth through Material Recycling: Policy Prescriptions” was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Road Transport, Highways & Ganga Rejuvenation, Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi.
- The Zimbabwe President Emmerson Mnangagwa, a former ally of Robert Mugabe, narrowly won the country’s landmark election.Mnangagwa won 50.8 per cent of the vote, ahead of Nelson Chamisa of the opposition MDC party on 44.3 per cent.
- The bill is designed to accelerate asylum procedures by cutting the maximum processing time from the current 120 days to 90 days after entering France.
- The Vietnam’s Cau Van which means “Golden Bridge” in Vietnamese has just opened in the Ba Na Hills in the city of Da Nang.It is 150 metres long and 1,400 metres above sea level.
- An intertidal art gallery, filled with around 30 sculptures acting as a habitat for coral and other marine species, was opened in the Maldives.
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with States Bank of India to receive Rs 25,000 crore as a long-term, unsecured loan for 10 years.
- US Secretary of State Mike pompeo stated an investment to the tune of USD 113 million in the Indo-Pacific region to boost energy projects, infrastructure, and maritime security.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch long-awaited India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) that will have at least one branch in every district and focus on financial services in rural areas on aug 21.
- Facebook has announced the launch of a “Digital Literacy Library” to help young people build the skills they need to safely enjoy online technology.
- India and Israel has collaborated with six innovative technologies in the fields of healthcare, agriculture and water management and interacted with various Indian businesses.
- According to Bloomberg, Japan has pipped China as the world’s number two stock market.The Chinese market was worth $6.09 trillion next to Japan’s $6.17 trillion
- The U.K. government has announced new plans to change the law for organ and tissue donation to address the urgent need for organs within Indian-origin communities in India.
- The Maitree exercise is a joint military exercise between Indian Army and Royal Thai Army which will be conducted from 06 to 19 August 2018 in Thailand.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- The six-member monetary policy committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to increase the repo rate by 25 basis points to 6.5% due to inflation concerns.
- India is in talks with the U.S. to procure an advanced air defence system to defend the National Capital Region (NCR) from aerial attacks. The process for procuring the National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile System-II (NASAMS-II), estimated at $1 billion, has been initiated.
- The Foreign bank State Bank of Mauritius, SBM would soon operate as a banking subsidiary of SBM Group in India under the name of SBM Bank (India) Ltd.
- The Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) launched a new deposit scheme – Vikas Bonanza 456.Initially, S Ravindran, Chairman of KVGB has launched the new deposit scheme in Dharwad.
- The Union Ministry of Culture has launched a scheme to reimburse central share of CGST and IGST on food, prasad, langar or bhandara offered by religious and charitable institutions. It has been launched from August 1, 2018.
- The Digital identity and transaction management solutions provider eMudhra has partnered with Ghana-based Safety Insurance Brokers Limited (SIBL) to offer “Integrated Insurance” to enterprises in Africa.
- Apple became the world’s first trillion-dollar public company.Apple’s share price has grown fourfold since Tim Cook replaced Jobs as chief executive in 2011.
- According to Morgan Stanley, India’s economic growth momentum is likely to pick up further in the April-June period and the country is expected to clock GDP growth of 7.5 per cent in this financial year.
- RIL’s telecom subsidiary Reliance Jio and country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) are entering into a partnership to extend next generation digital banking and payments services to customers.
- IFC, an affiliate of World Bank, has invested ₹1.6 billion ($25 million) in Mahindra Rural Housing Finance Ltd.MRHFL will use the proceeds to give loans to low-income borrowers in villages, said a company release.
- NABARD has sanctioned Rs 722 crore for eight water projects in the rural areas of Haryana, state Minister for Public Health Engineering Banwari Lal.
- Seven Indian companies have made it to the latest Fortune 500 list of the world’s biggest corporations in terms of revenue, with state-owned IOC continuing to be the highest ranked Indian firm and Reliance Industries jumping 55 places.
- The Fino Payments Bank was served a notice by the RBI to stop adding new customers after the regulator noticed certain anomalies with regard to the deposits of existing account holders.The bank was seen violating the norms related to the deposit limit and that certain accounts were found to have deposits exceeding ₹1 lakh.
- The Bandhan Bank has surpassed YES Bank’s market capitalisation (market cap) to become the sixth most valuable private sector bank and seventh most valued listed lender.
- Twenty-one public sector banks and three major private sector lenders collected ₹ 5,000 crore from customers as minimum balance penalty in 2017-18, according to banking data.
- India’s co-operative banking sector is set to undergo a transformation with the concept of Umbrella Organisation (UO) of Urban Co-operative Banks (UCBs). It would help to solve the issues that distress the sector.
- India has imposed safeguard duty on solar cells imports from China and Malaysia for two years to protect domestic players from steep rise in the inbound shipments of the product.
- India has jumped 22 places to 96th rank to break into the top 100 of the United Nation’s E-Government Development Index (EGDI) 2018.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- The Congress has announced that 24th Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award will be given to former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi for his outstanding contribution towards promotion of communal harmony.
- The Leading mortgage lender HDFC has been awarded the best performing primary lending institution in credit linked subsidy scheme ( CLSS) for the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) and LIG (Low Income Group) category.
- Akshay Venkatesh, a renowned Indian-Australian mathematician, is one of four winners of mathematics’ prestigious Fields medal, known as the Nobel prize for math. He is currently teaching at Stanford University.
- The President Ram Nath Kovind gave away the Outstanding Parliamentarian awards.The Awardees were Najma Heptullah, Hukumdev Narayan Yadav, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Dinesh Trivedi and Bhartru hari Mahtab.
- Dustin Johnson has won the 2018 RBC Canadian Open at the Glen Abbey Golf Club in Oakville in Canada. Dustin Johnson was awarded $1,116,000 for the win.
- Neeraj Chopra won gold in men’s javelin throw at the Savo Games in Lapinlahti, Finland.
- The Reigning Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton of Britain (Mercedes) won the Hungarian Grand Prix for the sixth time of his career, increasing his lead in the 2018 driver standings to 24 points. It is the 67th career victory at the Hungaroring circuit.
- The World Junior Squash Championships 2018 was held in Chennai, India. Cyrus Poncha is the tournament director. India finished in 11th position.
- Men’s Individual category- Mostafa Asal (Egypt)
- Women’s Individual category- Rowan Elaraby (Egypt)
- Men’s Team- Egypt
- The Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has approved a new policy for promotion of railway sportspersons.The sportspersons, who have made two appearances in Olympics, and won a medal in Asian Games or Common Wealth Games will be promoted to the officer rank.
- Grandmaster Vaibhav Suri won the Biel Masters chess title with an unbeaten display and teenager Prtihu Gupta made his second Grandmaster norm in the premier nine-round competition .
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli topped the ICC Rankings for Test Batsmen, riding on his brilliant century against England in the opening Test at Birmingham.
- In Women’s Hockey, the Netherlands have been crowned the world champions for a record eighth time. The defending champions recorded a stunning 6-0 victory over Ireland in the summit clash at London.
- P V Sindhu won silver in the World Championships’ women’s singles title clash. She was defeated by Carolina Marin of Spain. Marin had also defeated Sindhu in the final of the Rio Olympics in 2016.
- In Golf, India’s Gaganjeet Bhullar has grabbed his maiden European Tour title at the Fiji International.
- The Young paddler Swastika Ghosh claimed a bronze medal in the junior girls’ doubles along with Singapore’s Jingyi Zhou in the 2018 Hang Seng Hong Kong Junior and Cadet Open.
- The Indian Under-20 football team created history last night when they defeated Argentina, 2-1 in their final match of the Cotif Cup in Valencia, Spain.
- Jalees Sherwani, who had penned lyrics for several Salman Khan films like Dabangg, Wanted and Tere Naam has passed away.
Aspirants can use the link given below for downloading the Weekly One Liners pdf.
OTHER IMPORTANT LINKS