Current Affairs One Liners – September 8-14 | Download as PDF
Current Affairs One Liners – September 8-14 | Download as PDF
- YudhAbhyas, the 13th edition of the two week long military exercise between the armies of America and India will be carried out in Washington which is taking place as a part of the ongoing defence cooperation between the two countries.
- Ashok Leyland Defence Systems (ALDS), part of Hinduja Group flagship Ashok Leyland, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation with Rosoboronexport (ROE),Russia, and an Indian firm ELCOM Group, to provide tracked vehicle solutions to Indian armed forces.
- Prime Minister NarendraModi wrapped up his Myanmar trip, visiting to the ‘mazar’ of the last Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar and the 2,500-year-old Shwedagon pagoda.
- Assam government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Google India and would work to provide Internet connection to 26000 villages and 1500 tea garden areas to increase digital literacy.
- Kerala is second only to Karnataka in terms of manufacturing excellence across mainstream states across India, noted a recent study conducted by apex industry body Assocham.
- The name of the West Bengal will be Bangla in all languages which was decided at the cabinet meeting because West Bengal assembly has passed a resolution to change the name of the state and the state government was then compelled to have one name for the state.
- The government is moving ahead with linkingAadhaarwith mobile SIM cards and all unlinked phones will be deactivated after February 2018.
- The Hyderabad-based transwoman activist, who holds two post-graduate degrees, did not despair. Instead, she decided to launch the first YouTube channel Transvision in India conceptualised and actualised by transgender individuals.
- Goods and Services Tax (GST)registrations for entities mandated to collect and deduct tax at source will start from September 18. The GST Council, at its 21st meeting in Hyderabad, decided to open registration of persons liable to deduct TDS and TCS from September 18.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Bombay, IIT-Delhi and Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru, have found a place in the top 200 universities in the latest edition of the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings.
- Prime Minister NarendraModi has address a students’ convention to mark the 125th anniversary of Swami Vivekananda’s Chicago address and BJP ideologue DeendayalUpadhyaya’s centenary celebrations. The theme of the convention is ‘Young India, New India’.
- The government will issue Rs 100 and Rs5 coins to commemorate the birth centenary of Bharat Ratna awardee and former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister late M G Ramachandran.
- The Union Human Resource Development Minister PrakashJavadekar has said that the government will undertake ‘School ChaloAbhiyan’ a programme from next year to enroll “70-80 lakh” students in the country who are out of school.
- SpaceX has launched the Air Force’s super-secret space shuttle. An unmanned Falcon rocket blasted from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center. It’s the fifth flight for one of these crewless mini shuttles, known as the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle
- India’s External Affairs Minister SushmaSwaraj and Sri Lankan Foreign Minister TilakMarapana talked on bilateral issues during the visit of the former to the Indian Ocean Conference held in Colombo.
- China and Pakistan have agreed to strengthen anti-terrorism and security cooperation along a USD 50 billioneconomic corridor that links the restive regions of the two countries through a network of rail and road projects. The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) connects Xinjiang province in northwest China with the deep-water Gwadar port on the Arabian Sea in south western Pakistan.
- Prime Minister NarendraModi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe will lay the foundation stone for the India’s first bullet train project connecting Ahmedabad to Mumbai.
- India promised to extend development assistance to nearly every province in Afghanistan through projects worth over $300 million, three weeks after US President Donald Trump demanded that New Delhi do more for the economic progress of the war-torn nation.
- Turkey has signed a deal with Russia to buy S-400 missile defence systems in its first major weapons purchase from Moscow, quoted President RecepTayyipErdogan.
- The United Nations Security Councilapproved new sanctions aimed at punishing North Korea for its latest missile and nuclear tests after the US dropped demands such as an oil embargo to win support from Russia and China.
- India and Belarus inked 10 pacts to expand cooperation in a range of areas and decided to explore joint development and manufacture of militaryplatforms, giving a fresh momentum in bilateral ties
- The air forces of China and Pakistan began a joint training exercise”Shaheen VI” and deployed their latest fighter jets and AWACS aircraft.
- The US Supreme Court has allowed President Donald Trump to broadly implement a ban on refugees entering the country from around the world.
- M-Aadhar, a mobile app was launche by UIDAI and it can be a proof for ID for travellers.
BANKING & BUSINESS
- SBI Life Insurance has received approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India for an IPO of up to Rs 8,400 crore ($1.3 billion), with launch targeted for the September 20-22
- PACL and its four directors, Sukhdev Singh, Gurmeet Singh, Subrata Bhattacharya and certain other past directors were imposed a penalty of Rs.2423 Crore by the markets regulator SEBI for illegal mobilization of funds from the public.
- Payment bank Paytm can now sell life insurance, health and general insurance The Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has granted corporate agency license for One97 Communications, the parent of Paytm.
- Consumer price index-based inflation is likely to record a rise to 2 per cent in August, driven by increases in food and oil prices, global brokerage Morgan Stanley said in a report.CPI inflation stood at 2.4 per cent in July.
- Regulator IRDAI has permitted usage of OTP or one time password for opening e-insurance account (eIA) as an alternative to electronic signature.As part of its ongoing effort to improve insurance penetration, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has also permitted e-KYC facility offered by UIDAI which provides the unique Aadhaar numbers.
- Kishore Kharat, MD and CEO, Indian Bank and Kalavathi S M, CGM, Bharat Sanchar Nigam signed an MoU to Upgrade the bandwidth of Indian Bank‘s branches to 2mbps.The upgradation would be in line with the bank’s policy of promoting digital channels.
- LIC has formally launched a new single premium plan, JeevanUtkarsh, which offers a combination of protection and savings wherein the risk cover is ten times of tabular single premium from date of commencement of risk.
- Paytm Payments Bank (PPB) has partnered with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to launch a RuPay-powered digital debit card.
- The World Bank had shared its feedback, stating that it had accepted many of the reforms claimed by the government. India’s rank had improved by just one spot to 130 among 190 countries.
- China plans to ban trading of Bitcoin and other virtual currencies on domestic exchanges, dealing another blow to the $150 billion crypto currency market after the country outlawed initial coin offerings.
- The board of Kolkata-based Bandhan Bank has appointed Goldman Sachs Group Inc, JPMorgan Chase & Co, Axis Bank Ltd, JM Financial Ltd and Kotak Mahindra Bank as lead managers to manage its proposed initial public offering.
- Indian Banks will require about $65 billion in additional capital, lower than estimated earlier, to meet the Basel III capital adequacy norms by March 2019 and push loan growth, Fitch Ratings.
- London remains the globe’s most attractive financial centre, extending its lead over New York despite Britain’s looming departure from the European Union, a survey.
- India-Russia to conduct first tri-services military services. In October, 2017 in Russia.
- The Golden bear of Berlin
- Golden lion → The shape of water, directed by Guillermo Del Toro
- Silver lion → Beat director Xavier Legrand
- Best Actress → Charlotte Rampling
- Best Actor → Kamal El Basha
- The Geneva based World Economic Forum has released the Global Human Capital Index and India has been placed at 103rd Rank and the rank was topped by Norway.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- India’s indigenously developed third generation anti-tank guided missile(ATGM)Nag has been successfully flight tested by premier defence research organisationDRDO in deserts of Rajasthan, marking completion of development trials.The missile can hit a target up to seven
|S.No||Name||Post||Post Previously held by|
|1||ViveckGoenka||Chairman of Press Trust of India||Riyad Mathew|
|2||N. Ravi||Vice Chairman of Press Trust of India||Goenka|
|3||Ajay BhushanPandey||Interim chairman of the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN)||–|
|4||Cricketer HarmanpreetKaur||Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in the Western Railway||–|
|5||P Nataraj||Chairman of Southern India Mill’s Association (SIMA)||–|
|6||Defence Minister NirmalaSitharaman||Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA)
Permanent members of the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA)
|7||Railway Minister PiyushGoyal||Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA)||–|
|8||Petroleum minister DharmendraPradhan||Permanent members of the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA)||–|
|9||Madam HalimahYacob||Singapore’s first female president||–|
|10||Indian-American lawyerManisha Singh||Incharge of economic diplomacy in USA||–|
|11||Indian-American Raj Shah||Key Position in Trump Communication Team||–|
|12||Hope Hicks||Communications Director to Team Trump||–|
|13||Group of Ministers led by Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar Sushil Kumar Modi and a committee on Exports under Revenue Secretary, HasmukhAdhia||Monitor and resolve the IT challenges faced in the implementation of GST and exports||–|
|14||M. Nagaraja Sharma||New Chairman and MD of United Indian Insurance||MilindKharat|
|1||Rajiv Kumar||Post of independent director in the board of Dewan|
|S.No||Award Name||Awarded to|
|1||Hindustan Zinc Health & Safety Award||Sukinda Chromite Mines of Indian Metals and Ferro Alloys Ltd (IMFA)|
|2||First Lifetime Achievement Award instituted by the Badminton Association of India (BAI)||PrakashPadukone|
|3||Prof. N.R. MadhavaMenonBest Law Teacher Award – 2017||TahirMahmood|
BOOKS and AUTHORS
|1||Hit Refresh||SatyaNadella and co-authored by Greg Shaw and Jill Tracie Nichols|
- SathishSivalingam won gold in the senior men’s 77kg category of the Commonwealth and Oceania Championships held at Gold Coast in Australia.
- SathishSivalingam and Ragalavenkatraghul qualified for 2018 commonwealth games.
- Two Indian women weightlifters also claimed gold medals. S Nirupama Devi (junior women’s 69kg) lifted a total weight of 178kg while Nikeeta Kale (youth girls 69kg) lifted a total of 163kg to finish on the top of the podium in Commonwealth & Oceania Championship held at Gold Coast, Australia.
- SjoerdMrijne as the new chief coach of the India men’s senior hockey team. The current coach of the senior women’s team Mrijne will take the position of
- Junior World Cup winning coach Harendra Singh will take the charge of the women’s team as the High Performance Specialist.
- Harinder Pal Sandhu’s winning streak in the PSA circuit. The former national champion won his fifth straight title and 10th overall when he defeated MohdSyafiq Kamal of Malaysia in the final of the Malaysian Tour event at Kuala Lumpur.
- Indian Wrestler Sonam Malik clinched Gold Medal at the Cadet World Wrestling Championship in Athens.
- The United World Wrestling (UWW) allotted next year’s Junior Asian Wrestling Championship to the capital city of our country, to held from July 19 to 22.
- Pardeep Singh qualified for next year’s Commonwealth Games with a gold medal, even as 34 new records were created by the Indians in the last five days of the Commonwealth youth, junior & senior weightlifting championships at Gold Coast, Australia.
- Bengaluru’s 21-year old AishwaryaPissay (Apex Racing Academy) clinched the title in the girls’ category with a round to spare in the MRF MMSC FMSCI Indian National motorcycle racing championship at the MMRT track.
- Sloane Stephens won the US OPEN Women’s Singles Title 2017 by defeating Madison Keys of America and this is Sloane Stephens’ first Grand Slam Title.
- Rafael Nadal won his 3rd US OPEN TITLE by defeating South African Kevin Anderson in straight sets and also added 16th Grand Slam Crown to his Grand slam collection.
- Marc Marquez wins San Marino Grand Prix for Honda and pull level at the top of the overall standings with works Ducati rider Andrea Dovizioso.
- Germany’s BibianaSteinhaus made history by becoming the first female referee to officiate a match in a top European league.
- England fast bowler James Anderson climbed to top spot in ICC Test Player Rankings. Anderson became the first English and the sixth bowler in the world to pick 500 Test wickets.
- Martina Hingis captured her 25th career Grand Slam crown, partnering with Taiwan’s Chan Yung-Jan to win the US Open women’s doubles title.
- PriyankaPanwar, part of the 4×400 metre relay team which won gold at the 2014 Incheon Asian, has been banned for eight years — the sanction period for an athlete committing a second doping offence.
- The coastal city of Kochi is all set to host the BWF World Senior Badminton Championships from September 11 to 17.
- 36th National Games will be held in Goa.
US OPEN GRAND SLAM 2017
|S.No||Category||Winner / Winners||Runner /Runners|
|1||Men’s Singles Title||Rafael Nadal (Spain)||Kevin Anderson (South Africa)|
|2||Women’s Singles Title||Sloane Stephens (USA)||Madison Keys (USA)|
|3||Men’s Doubles Title||Jean-JulienRojer (Netherlands) &HoriaTecau (Romania)||Feliciano Lopez(Spain) & Marc Lopez (Spain)|
|4||Women’s Doubles Title||Martina Hingis (Switzerland) & Chang Yung-Jan (Chinese Taipei)||Lucie Hradecka (Czech Republic) &KaterinaSiniakova (Czech Republic)|
|5||Mixed Doubles Title||Martina Hingis (Switzerland) & Jamie Murray (England)||Chan Hao-Ching/9Chinese Taipei) & Michael Venus (New Zealand)|
HISTORIC EVENTS OF THE DAY
|September 14||National Hindi Diwas||–|
- Nancy Hatch Dupree – American Historian
- Sir Peter Hall – Former Director of the National Theatre and Founder of Royal Shakespeare Company