Daily Current Affairs: April 22, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (April 22, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Earth Day – 22 April
- World Earth Day is observed on 22 April every year. This day is marked annually to highlight the concerns surrounding the environment, for example, air and water pollution, as well as climate change, among other factors.
- The United Nations General Assembly designated 22 April as Mother Earth Day following the adoption of a resolution in 2009.
- The theme for World Earth Day 2022 is ‘Invest in our Planet’.
Mumbai is set to host India’s first International Cruise Conference
- Mumbai is set to host India’s first International Cruise Conference. This conference will highlight regional connectivity and disseminate information about India’s preparedness for developing the cruise tourism sector.
- This two-day international conference will witness participation from stakeholders, including international and Indian cruise lines operators, investors, global cruise consultants/experts and senior government officials from the Union Ministry of Home, Finance, Tourism and Ports and Shipping.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- National Parks: Chandoli National Park, Gugamal National Park, Nawegaon National Park, Jawaharlal Nehru (Pench) National Park, Sanjay Gandhi (Borivilli) National Park, Tadoba National Park
Tripura collaborates with NIXI-CSC to set up a world-class data centre
- Tripura government has inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) and CSE e-governance services Limited to establish an international standard Data Centre in Indiranagar, Tripura.
- National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) and CSE e-governance services Limited have floated a joint venture – NIXI-CSC Data Services Centre to set up the proposed data centre.
- Capital: Agartala
- Chief Minister: Biplab Kumar Deb
- Governor: Satyadeo Narain Arya
- National Parks: Clouded Leopard National Park, Bison (Rajbari) National Park.
Shivamogga Airport to be named after B. S. Yediyurappa
- Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai has announced that Shivamogga Airport to be named after the former Chief Minister of Karnataka S. Yediyurappa.
- Shivamogga airport is being constructed at Sogane on the outskirts of Bengaluru. The estimated cost of airport construction is ₹ 384 crore.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: Basavaraj Bommai
- Governor: Thaawarchand Gehlot
- National Parks: Anshi National Park, Kudremukh National Park, Bandipur National Park, Bannerghatta National Park, Rajiv Gandhi (Nagarahole) National Park
Rajasthan becomes the first state to install the L-Route Server
- Rajasthan has become the first state in India to install an L-Route server for uninterrupted internet services. This new facility is installed at the Bhamashah State Data Centre in Rajasthan to promote e-governance.
- This server was installed by the Union Government in association with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
- Capital: Jaipur
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
- National Parks: Desert National Park, Keoladeo Ghana National Park, Mukundra Hills National Park, Ranthambhore National Park, Sariska National Park
India provides additional $ 500 million loans to Sri Lanka for fuel
- India provided an additional $ 500 million in financial assistance to Sri Lanka for it to buy fuel.
- Bangladesh was also willing to postpone a $ 450 million in swap repayments to ease Colombo’s financial issues.
Banking and Economy
India Post Payments Bank launches ‘Fincluvation’ for fintech start-ups
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has launched ‘Fincluvation’, a joint initiative to collaborate with the Fintech Startup community to co-create and innovate solutions for financial inclusion.
- This initiative is part of the 75th anniversary of Indian Independence and ongoing Azadi ka Amrit Mahotasav.
- The first-of-its-kind industry initiative, Fincluvation would create a powerful platform to mobilize the start-up community towards building meaningful financial products aimed at financial inclusion.
Agreements and MoU Signed
NITI Aayog signs an MoU with UNICEF on SDGs focusing on children
- Government think tank NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog and United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) India has signed a statement of intent (SoI) on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with a focus on children.
- This SoI seeks to formalise a framework of cooperation to launch the first report on the ‘State of India’s Children: Status and Trends in Multidimensional Child Development’.
National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- Vice Chairperson: Rajiv Kumar
Dhanlaxmi Bank signs an MoU with CBDT and CBIC for tax collection
- Dhanlaxmi Bank has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) for the collection of taxes.
- This bank was authorised by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) based on the recommendation from the Controller General of Accounts for the collection of various taxes.
- In October 2021, Dhanlaxmi Bank had been empanelled as ‘Agency Bank’ by RBI to undertake general banking businesses of central and state governments on behalf of RBI.
Science and Technology
Russia has test-launched ‘Satan 2’ Sarmat missile
- Russia has test-launched an ‘unstoppable’ nuclear missile dubbed the ‘Satan 2’.
- This Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) was launched in northern Russia, with its practice warheads reaching mock targets more than 3,500 miles away on the far eastern Kamchatka Peninsula. It has been under development since 2009.
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister: Mikhail Mishustin
Awards and Recognitions
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy gets the John F. Kennedy award for defending democracy
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is among five people named as recipients of the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award for acting to protect democracy.
- He was chosen because of the way he has marshaled the spirit, patriotism and untiring sacrifice of the Ukrainian people in a life-or-death fight for Ukraine as Russia pours in troops and assaults cities and towns.
Babita Singh named as the new Global Peace Ambassador 2022
- Entrepreneur Babita Singh was conferred as a Global Peace Ambassador for promoting Peace through Education, Sports, Art, Culture and Diplomacy at the India International Conclave 2022 held in collaboration with Asia Africa Consortium (AAC).
- She is a global business professional, who has been in this business for 20 years with her previous ventures from Hospitality, Sports Management and Cyber Security.
Rohit Sharma and Jasprit Bumrah among Wisden’s five ‘Cricketers of the Year’
- India captain Rohit Sharma and fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah were named among the ‘Five Cricketers of the Year’ in the 2022 edition of the Wisden Almanack.
- England fast bowler Ollie Robinson, South African women’s player Dane van Niekerk and New Zealand opener Devon Conway were named among the ‘Five Cricketers of the Year’ in the 2022 edition of the Wisden Almanack.
- Former England captain Joe Root was named the Leading Men Cricketer in the World, South Africa’s Lizelle Lee the Leading Woman Cricketer in the World and Pakistan’s Mohammad Rizwan the Leading T20 Cricketer.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of April 22, 2022, now from the link given below.