DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 2 & 3, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 2 & 3 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Lung Cancer Day- August 1:
- World Lung Cancer Day is observed on August 1 to raise awareness about the causes and treatment of lung cancer and to highlight the issues that a lack of sufficient research funding can create.
World Breastfeeding Week:
- World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated every year from 1 to 7 August to encourage breastfeeding and improve the health of babies around the world.
- The theme of World Breastfeeding Week 2020 is “Support breastfeeding for a healthier planet”.
World Sanskrit Day- August 3:
- World Sanskrit Day is observed on August 3. All India Radio will broadcast its first-ever special program in Sanskrit. The 20-minute program titled, ‘Bahujan Bhasha-Sanskrit Bhasha’. World Sanskrit Day is celebrated on the Poornima of the Shravan month.
Sanjay Dhotre inaugurates BSNL’s Bharat Air Fiber High-speed Broadband Service at Akola in Maharashtra:
- Union Minister of State for HRD, Electronics, Communication, and IT Sanjay Dhotre inaugurated “Bharat Air Fiber Services” at Akola in Maharashtra. With the launch of Wireless Bharat Air Fibre, more connections will be provided on demand in a very quick time.
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates upstream carriageway of Mahatma Gandhi bridge in Bihar:
- Union Minister for Road Transport, Highways and MSMEs Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the upstream carriageway of Mahatma Gandhi bridge over river Ganga through video conference in Bihar. This over 5.5 km four-lane bridge lies at NH-19 between Patna and Hajipur. It is being constructed at a cost of Rs 1742 crore.
Odisha CM Launches Online Portal To Issue Fire Safety Certificates:
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the Odisha Agni-Shama Seva online portal for issuance of fire safety certificates to different categories of buildings through online mode.
- As many as eight services would be available to the public through online mode. He asked the Fire Service Department to include all other services by October 2 this year.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister:Naveen Patnaik
- Governor:Ganeshi Lal
Rajasthan solar sector shines bright amidst gloom, adds max capacity in India:
- According to a recent survey of states by JMK Research and Analytics, Rajasthan has added maximum capacity of 1,745 megawatt solar plants in the country in 2019-20, followed by Karnataka (1,443 MW) and Tamil Nadu (1,342 MW). The pipeline of projects also remains robust at 23,176 MW.
- Chief Minister:Ashok Gehlot
- Governor:Kalraj Mishra
Madhya Pradesh to begin ‘Ek Mask-Anek Zindagi’ public awareness campaign:
- A public awareness campaign called ‘Ek Mask-Anek Zindagi’ means one mask-many lives will be conducted till August 15 in many districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Union Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launches ‘Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan 2020-21:
- Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launched Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan 2020-21 which is a national programme for popularizing science among students of Class 6th to 11th. It was designed to identify bright minds with a scientific attitude among the students.
Northern Railway runs first-ever Vyapar Mala Express train:
- Northern Railway ran first-ever Vyapar Mala Express train to help small traders in moving their cargo via Railways in a short time, cost-effective, convenient & environment-friendly mode of transportation. Railways earned more than ₹ 94 Lakhs from this. It will cover a distance of 2,673 km from Punjab to Tripura.
Central Railway designs robot ‘Rakshak’ for health assistant:
- Mumbai Division of Central Railway (CR) has designed a health assistant robot ‘Rakshak’ who can remotely communicate between doctor and patient.
- This medical aid robot was developed in-house at EMU car shed, Kurla in the Mumbai section of the Central Railway and handed over to Bharat Ratna Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Memorial Hospital, Byculla, Mumbai.
Amit Shah inaugurates international webinar on ‘Lokmanya Tilak – Swaraj to Self-reliant India’ organized by ICCR:
- Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated 2-day international webinar on the theme ‘Lokmanya Tilak – Swaraj to Self-reliant India‘ organized by Indian Council for Cultural Relations on 100th death anniversary of the freedom fighter Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak.
- Tilak gave slogan “Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it”.
Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri launches ARHCs Knowledge Pack and Launches mobile app of CREDAI:
- Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Hardeep Singh Puri released the Affordable Rental Housing Complexes Pack through Video Conferencing on July 31, 2020.
- Union Cabinet approved ARHC as a sub scheme under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) as part of Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan. The scheme is estimated to benefit 3.5 Lakh people.
UAE launches Arab world’s first nuclear power plant:
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) had successfully opened a nuclear power plant, becoming the first Arab country to produce nuclear energy.
- The $22.4 billion (€19 billion) Barakah plant on the Gulf coast west of Abu Dhabi is being developed by a consortium led by the Korea Electric Power Corporation.
Bangladesh Receives $202 million from World Bank to Increase Food Security:
- World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors today approved $202 million in additional financing for the Modern Food Storage Facilities Project to increase the storage capacity of Bangladesh’s national strategic grain reserves by 535,500 tons for 4.5 million households.
ADB signs Dollar 200 million financing deal with Reliance for power plant in Bangladesh:
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $200 million financing deal with Reliance Bangladesh LNG and Power Limited (RBLPL) to build and operate a 718-megawatt combined-cycle gas-fired power plant in Bangladesh. It is to ease ongoing energy shortages.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Khadi and Village Industries Commission signs MoU to supply mustard oil to ITBP:
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) headquartered in Mumbai has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to supply mustard oil to ITBP. This development is seen as another major step towards making India Atma-Nirbhar.
Science and Technology
INST scientists develop low cost non-surgical prevention of cataract:
- A team of scientists from the Institute of Nano Science & Technology (INST), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science & Technology, has developed nanorods from the nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) Aspirin, a popular medication used to reduce pain and fever, found to be an effective non–invasive small molecule-based nanotherapeutics against cataract.
Air Marshal V R Chaudhari takes over as chief of IAF’s Western Air Command:
- Air Marshal R. Chaudhari took over as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Western Air Command of Indian Air Force. He was commissioned into the fighter stream of the IAF in 1982 as fighter pilot. The Air Marshal took over command from Air Marshal B Suresh.
Awards and Recognitions
Dalmia Bharat Group wins FICCI CSR Award for Environment Sustainability:
- Dalmia Bharat Group has won an award for Environment Sustainability at 18th FICCI CSR award ceremony, organized by FICCI. The award recognizes efforts of companies in integrating and internalizing Corporate Social Responsibility.
Ministry of Tribal Affairs received SKOCH Gold Award for Empowerment of Tribals through IT-enabled Scholarship Schemes:
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) was awarded the SKOCH Gold Award for its “Empowerment of Tribals through IT-enabled Scholarship Schemes”. It is the project of the Scholarship Divison of the Ministry. MoTA chose to participate in Digital India & E-Governance-2020 Competition.
- The theme of the 66th SKOCH 2020 Competition was “INDIA RESPONDS TO COVID THROUGH DIGITAL GOVERNANCE.”
Books and Authors
Narendra Singh Tomar releases booklet on Best Practices in Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme:
- Union Minister of Rural Development Narendra Singh Tomar released a booklet on “BestPractices in Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme (DILRMP)” of Department of Land Resources based on the presentations made since inception of the programme.
Oscar Winner Matthew Mcconaughey to Publish His First Book named ‘Greenlights’:
- ‘Greenlights’ the debut book authored by Oscar-winning actor Matthew McConaughey published by Crown Publishing Group is set to be released on 20th October 2020. The book was described as “not a traditional memoir but a playbook” based on the adventures and life experiences of McConaughey.
Uttar Pradesh Cabinet minister Kamal Rani Varun passes away:
- UP’s Cabinet minister for Technical Education Kamal Rani Varun succumbed to COVID-19. Currently, Kamal Rani was MLA from Ghatampur in Kanpur. In the past, she was also a Member of Parliament in the Lok Sabha twice.
Sahitya Akademi Awardee Sa. Kandasamy passed away at 81:
- Famous writer and documentary Filmmaker Kandasamy passed away at the age 81, in Chennai, Tamil Nadu due to heart ailments. He was born in 1940, Mayiladuthurai district, Tamil Nadu. He won the Sahitya Akademi award for his Novel ‘Visaranai Commission.’
Rajya Sabha member Amar Singh passes away at 64:
- Rajya Sabha MP and former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh passed away. Singh’s political career was known for his contacts across sectors, his managerial skills and fund-raising capabilities. He was once called ‘Corporate Thakur’ by a rival leader.
Hamilton wins British GP to close in on Schumacher’s record:
- Lewis Hamilton held on to win the British Grand Prix despite a puncture on the last lap to clinch an 87th career win and move within four of Michael Schumacher’s Formula One record. Hamilton set a track record & secured a record-extending 91st career pole.
World Cup winner and Schalke legend Benedikt Höwedes retires at 32:
- German footballer Benedikt Howedes retired from football. He was part of the 2014 world-cup winning Germany team. He was one of the 3 players who had played every minute for the team in the tournament.
Real Madrid Named World Most Valuable Brands in Football:
- According to the 2020 Brand Finance Football report, the two most valuable clubs in the world football play are the top two heavyweights of La Liga.
- For the second year in a row, Real Madrid lead the way as the most valuable football club brand in the world, closely followed by Barcelona, who have overtaken Manchester United to move from third in the 2019 edition to second in this year’s rankings.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.