DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 15, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 15, 2018
PM Modi launched three projects in Arunachal Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched three important projects in Arunachal Pradesh.
- He inaugurated the Dorjee Khandu state convention centre at a function in Itanagar.
- He focuses information revolution and the newly erected Secretariat building in the state capital, Itanagar.
Capital: Guwahati (Judiciary), Itanagar
Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
Governor: B D Mishra
India to host 8th Theatre Olympics
- In an effort to put India firmly among the top nations in the world theatre map, the country will play host to the 8th Theatre Olympics, the greatest carnival of thespianism.
- The 51-day theatre extravaganza which will be inaugurated at Red Fort, will see 450 shows including 65 shows by international artistes, 600 ambient performances and 250 youth forum shows.
- The Theatre Olympics was established in 1993 at Delphi in Greece. The international theatre festival promotes richness and diversity of theatre heritage in all kinds of experiments and research in the field of performing arts, contributing to the growth of international collaboration all over the world.
India’s first radio festival will be held in Delhi
- India’s first radio festival will be held in Delhi and the festival is being organised by the International of Women in Radio and Television, in collaboration with UNESCO.
- The radio festival is being held to mark World Radio Day 2018.
- The 2018’s theme of World Radio Day: sports and radio.
Government extends anti-narcotics scheme
- The ‘Assistance to States and UTs for Narcotics Control’ scheme has been extended for a further period of 3 years–from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- The estimated budget is Rs 21 crore.
- The purpose of the scheme is to assist state governments and Union Territories which are contributing in controlling the inter-state and cross border drug trafficking.
West Bengal Becomes First State to Opt Out of ‘Modicare’
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has announced the decision to opt out of Centre’s ‘Modicare’ scheme.
- This makes West Bengal the first state to withdraw from the ambitious programme.
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had announced the National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS) or modicare. It is the biggest global plan to provide quality health cover to a population larger than the combined citizenry of the US, UK, Germany and France.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
The Most Valuable Company: Apple
- According to a report in The New York Post, Apple tops the most valuable company list with $849.2 billion market cap.
- It is followed by Google’s parent company Alphabet at $745.1 billion.
- With a market cap of $702.5 billion, Amazon has become the third most valuable company in the world.
BHEL bags Rs 560 crore order from NTPC
- The Power equipment maker BHEL has bagged an order worth Rs 560 crore for supply and installation of the flue gas desulphurisation (FGD) system from NTPC for 2×490 MW National Capital Power Station (NCPS).
- It will be implemented at Dadri in Uttar Pradesh.
- Chairman & Managing Director of BHEL: Atul Sobti
- Chairman & Managing Director of NTPC:Gurdeep Singh
Nepal PM Sher Bahadur Deuba resigns
- Nepal Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba has resigned.
- He was elected as the 40th Prime Minister on June 6 with the support from CPN (Maoist Centre) which is now a part of Left alliance and opting for merger with CPN-UML.
- The Left alliance has already presented its claim for the new government to the President presenting UML Chairman KP Sharma Oli as the new Prime Minister.
- KP Sharma Oli will be the 41st PM of Nepal.
Jacob Zuma resigns as South Africa’s president
- Jacob Zuma has been forced to step down as president of South Africa.
- His rival Cyril Ramaphosa was chosen to lead the party.
Football: Tamil Nadu lifts Senior Women’s National Football Championship
- Tamil Nadu beat Manipur 2-1 to lift their maiden title in the Senior Women’s National Football Championship.
- The 23rd Senior Women’s National Football Championship was held in Cuttack.
- Tamil Nadu created history by becoming champions in their first-ever final.