DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : August 1, 2019
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (August 1, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Lok Sabha to become paperless from next session: Speaker
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla has announced that the Lower House will become paperless from the next session.
- He share the move will save crores of rupees to the exchequer.
- During the Zero Hour, several members praised the Speaker for starting a new system under which their name and division number are displayed on the screen in the house, when they are speaking.
- Mr Birla told the members that various new initiatives will be taken to improve the functioning of the house.
- However, he assured the House that if any member needed paper he or she will be provided.
Infosys launches Cyber Defence Center in Romania
- Infosys announced the launch of its state-of-the-art Cyber Defence Center in Bucharest, Romania.
- The Defence Center is an expansion of services delivered through Infosys Digital Innovation Center which opened in Bucharest.
- They will provide end-to-end, real-time, 24/7 cyber security monitoring and protection services to support European and global businesses on their digital transformation journey.
- They including security monitoring, management and remediation, threat hunting, security analytics, incident discovery, and response will be delivered by certified and highly skilled cyber security professionals.
- The services offered comply with country-specific regulatory requirements.
India became fifth largest investor in Africa: President Kovind
- President Ramnath Kovind announced that trade and investment ties between India and Africa are growing.
- India has become the fifth largest investor in Africa with cumulative investment at over 54 billion US dollars.
- He was addressing Special Session of National Assembly of Gambia yesterday evening in capital Banjul.
- African continental Free Trade Area Agreement launched this month will make Africa the largest free trade area in the world.
- After South Asia, the African Continent is the largest recipient of Indian overseas assistance. President has promised India’s support to Gambia in areas of skills development. Later President participated in a community reception at Banjul.
- The event was organised by the Indian community and Friends of India. Addressing Members of the Indian Diaspora he said that just like Mahatma Gandhi the Indian diaspora are the biggest and best ambassadors of India Abroad.
- India is opening 18 new missions, of which seven will be in West Africa. During his two-day visit to Gambia, President had extensive talks with his Gambian counterpart Adama Barrow.
RANKING & INDEX
London named world’s best student city in new rankings
- London named the world’s best city for students. According to the rankings, India’s best student city is Bengaluru at 81st. It is followed by Mumbai (85th) and Delhi at 113 and Chennai at 115.
- There are a total of 120 cities in the list. This report is released for the second consecutive year.
- London beat Tokyo and Melbourne and came second and third respectively on new worldwide rankings.
- The QS Best Student Cities ranking was done by global education consultancy QS Quacquarelli Symonds.
- It mainly highlights each city’s performance across different categories. The number of Indians moving to London for higher studies rose by 20% in 2017-18.
- They marked an increase from 4,545 in 2016-17 to 5,455 in the fiscal year 2017-18. The numbers are below the mark than could be achieved considering India’s vast student base.
BANKING & FINANCE
Postal dept decides to convert India Post Payments Bank into SFB
- The Postal Department announced it has decided to convert the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) into a small finance bank (SFB), enabling it to offer small loans to customers.
- Besides, the department also looks to open one crore accounts for IPPB in 100 days.
- A statement of the Postal Department announced that the decisions were taken at the annual Heads of Circles Conference held at Srinagar.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Task force on direct tax code to submit report by August 16
- The Government has allowed the task force, formed to draft new direct tax law, to submit its report by August 16. Earlier, the force had to submit its report by July 31.
- The Finance Ministry in a released, the extension has been given as new members of the Task Force requested for more time to provide further inputs.
- The Task Force was constituted by the Government in November, 2017 to review the existing Income Tax Act, 1961 and to draft a new direct tax law in consonance with economic needs of the country.
Rural India set to become ODF by October 2
- Rural India is poised to become Open Defecation Free (ODF) by 2nd October this year due to the successful implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin).
- The resounding success of this mission has huge lessons for governments around the world.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reflected on the importance of cleanliness in his monthly programme of Mann Ki Baat on All India Radio on various occasions.
- In the 39th edition of the programme, Mr Modi announced people should make a contribution towards making India clean to fulfil the dream of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi.
- A change can now be seen in the form of public participation in rural and urban areas alike following the launch of Swachh Bharat programme.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Dinesh Bhatia and Sanjay Ranjan accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic Countries
- Shri Dinesh Bhatia (IFS batch 1992) ambassador of India to the Republic of Argentina appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Paraguay in Buenos Aires.
- Present India’s envoy to Argentina Sanjiv Ranjan appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Colombia.
Republic of Paraguay
- Capital: Asunción
- Currency: Paraguayan guaraní
Republic of Colombia
- President: Iván Duque Márquez Trending
- Capital: Bogotá
Indian Federation of Sports Gaming appoints Justice A.K. Sikri as ombudsman
- Indian Federation of Sports Gaming (IFSG), country’s self-regulatory industry body for the online fantasy sports gaming sector announced the appointment of Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri as its ombudsman and ethics officer.
- Justice A.K. Sikri responsible for investigating queries/complaints raised by the users of the online fantasy sports gaming platforms.
- The strategic council resolve disputes brought forward regarding binding rules or financial discrepancies as well as steer hearings and make announcements for smooth operation and ease of functioning.
- Sikri served as a former judge of the Supreme Court of India and was recently appointed as a judge in the Singapore International Commercial Court.
- He retired as a senior-most judge of the Supreme Court of India on 6 March 2019. He has also served as a Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court and Acting Justice of the High Court of Delhi.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Ruhan Rajput honoured with Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2019
- Ruhan Rajput co-founder and Director of Einfolge Technologies Pvt Ltd were awarded the prestigious Entrepreneur Award 2019. The event was held at the JW Marriot Hotel, New Delhi.
- He won the award on 18 July in the category of ‘Entrepreneur of the Year in Service Business.
- Ruhan was acknowledged for his contributions and achievements in the business industry.
- Ruhan Rajput excels as an actor and model in Bollywood. He made a debut in the film industry with Pravat Rout’s film, ‘Prarabdh’, followed by three music albums: ‘Mohabataiyan’, ‘Khidki ka Parda’
- And also the ‘Saiyan Re‘.
- He was starred in ‘Dil Mera‘ produced by Zee Music Company.
- He is currently working on a music album with Arman Malik.
DD News channel bagged Champions of Empathy Award
- DD News (Doordarshan) news channel of India awarded “Champions of Empathy Award”.
- The award is given for spreading awareness about hepatitis. Mayank Agrawal, Director General of DD News received the Award from Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
- The main responsibility of DD News is make people aware about various diseases and preventions by showing health-related programs, reports, and policies that help to spread awareness towards health in society.
- Hepatitis name has derived from the Greek word ‘Hepar’ meaning liver and ‘itis’ means inflammation.
- It is a medical condition in which inflammation occurs in liver cells and its complications vary with the type of infection. It is mostly caused by a group of viruses called hepatitis viruses.
- There are 5 types of hepatitis namely. A, B, C, D, and E. Each type is caused by a different hepatitis virus.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
IIT Madras introduces Smart agricopter for spraying pesticides
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has developed a Smart agricopter. The innovation aims to eliminate manual spraying of pesticides in agricultural fields.
- As the manual pesticide spraying remains an extremely hazardous activity as it affects the health of the farmers’ and labourers’ in a massive overuse of toxic chemicals.
- The Cost estimation of the agricopter is to be around Rs 5.1 lakh. The Smart Agricopter is a hexacopter drone with the capacity to carry 15 litres of pesticide.
- Agricopter will allow spraying pesticides ten times faster and with 100% precision. It has multispectral imaging camera which provides smart analysis of crop health.
- It also ensures that the entire spraying process is completely autonomous and that the farmer is never exposed to the pesticide.
Australia Ellyse Perry becomes first cricketer to reach 1000 runs, 100 wickets in T20
- Australia all-rounder Ellyse Perry became the first cricketer to reach the rare milestone of scoring 1000 runs.
- She took 100 wickets in the T20 format. Perry (47 not out) and Captain Meg Lanning (43 not out) to guide Australia to a seven-wicket win against England in the second T20 of the Women’s Ashes tour.
- Around 1000-run milestone for the all-rounder picked up her 100th wicket by dismissing. England’s Nat Sciver in the World T20 final in November last year.
- Former Pakistani all-rounder Shahid Afridi (1416 runs and 98 wickets) stands closest to achieving the feat.
- Bangladesh’s Shakib al Hasan got 1471 runs and 88 wickets. Australia Women unassailable lead 2-0 lead in the three-match T20 series.
- Ellyse Alexandra Perry is an Australian sportswoman who made her debut for both the Australian cricket and the Australian women’s national football team at the age of 16.
Tarun Chaudhri becomes first IAF pilot to complete wing suit skydive jump
- Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander Tarun Chaudhri became the first pilot to perform a wing suit skydive jump.
- He jumped 8500 feet from the Mi-17 V5 helicopter at Air Force Station in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
- This is the first time when a pilot of the IAF jumped the wing suit skydive with the same helicopter, which he has just flown.
- It is a military transport variant, equipped with modern avionics and glass cockpit instrumentation.
- The rotary-wing aircraft has state-of-the-art navigational equipment, avionics, and weather radar.
Tamil Nadu girl won gold medal in World Deaf Youth Badminton Championship
- Tamil Nadu girl Jerlin Anika won the gold medal in the World Deaf Youth Badminton Championships. The competition is held in Taipei last week.
- Anika bagged four medals in the championship, including the gold, two silver, and one bronze.
- Anika is a tenth standard student of the Avvaiyar government school in Madurai.
- The daughter’s performance is a matter of pride for India and Tamil Nadu. It is a matter of pride for Tamil Nadu.
- The main reason behind her success is the support extended by her school and the efforts put in by her coach Saravanan.
World Breastfeeding Week 2019: August 01 to August 07
- World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated every year from 1 to 7 August to encourage breastfeeding and improve the health of babies around the world.
- It commemorates the Innocent Declaration signed in August 1990 by government policymakers, WHO, UNICEF and other organizations to protect, promote and support breastfeeding.
- The theme of this year’s World Breastfeeding Week is “Empower Parents, Enable Breastfeeding.”
- WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding starting within one hour after birth until a baby is 6 months old.
- Nutritious complementary foods should then be added while continuing to breastfeed for up to 2 years or beyond.
- Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.