DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: AUGUST 5, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: AUGUST 5, 2018
Projects worth Rs 20,000 cr underway in 7 cities under Smart Cities Mission in MP:
- In Madhya Pradesh, projects worth about 20,000 crore rupees are underway in seven cities under the Smart Cities Mission.
- The mission, an urban renewal programme launched by the Centre in 2015, aims to develop 100 cities across the country making them citizen friendly and sustainable.
- Recently, Madhya Pradesh was awarded by the Prime Minister for Integrated Command Control Centre constructed under Smart City Project Bhopal.
- Apart from that, Madhya Pradesh was also awarded for various other initiatives like Public Bike Sharing, Smart Class Room and Waste to Energy Plant under the Smart cities mission.
Capital : Bhopal
Chief minister : Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Governor : Anandiben Patel
FICCI FLO launches mobile app for women’s wellness:
- FICCI Ladies Organisation, the women’s wing of Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry has launched a mobile application aimed at creating awareness on preventive Healthcare.
- The mobile application “WOW” (Wellness of Women) is backed by city-based Apollo hospitals group that offers access to renowned doctors and provides health tips.
Shaur nahin’ mobile app launched in Shimla, Manali:
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched ‘horn not ok’ awareness campaign and ‘shaur nahin’ (no noise) mobile application, the campaign has been launched in Shimla and Manali
- The chief minister said the ‘shaur nahin’ mobile application can be used by the general public to report cases of noise pollution.
- The mobile application is an initiative of the department of environment science and technology in association with National Informatics Centre, Himachal Pradesh.
Capital : Shimla
Chief Minister : Jai Ram Thakur
Karnataka government launches cleanliness campaign ‘Swachhameva Jayate’:
- The government of Karnataka launched the ‘Swachhameva Jayate’ campaign in a bid to step up the cleanliness and hygiene efforts of the state. It programme, implemented by the Rural Decelopment and Panchayat Raj Department of the state, will first focus on rural areas.
- Deputy Chief Minister of Karnataka Dr G Parameshwara launched the campaign along with Krishna Byre Gowda, the Minister of Rural Development.
- A logo was released for the campaign, one with a young boy and one with a young girl in front of a map of the state.
Capital : Bengaluru
Chief Minister : H. D. Kumaraswamy
US to invest $300 million in Indo-Pacific region:
- US Secretary of State Mike pompeo stated an investment to the tune of USD 113 million in the Indo-Pacific region to boost energy projects, infrastructure, and maritime security.
At the ASEAN Regional Forum, Secretary Pompeo announced the intent to provide nearly USD 300 million in security assistance to improve security relationships across the Indo-Pacific region.
- The investment plan by the US will cover projects in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Mongolia, Nepal, the Pacific Islands, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, and others.
Capital : Washington, D.C.
President : Donald Trump
BANKING & BUSSINESS
Narendra Modi to launch India Post Payments Bank:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch long-awaited India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) that will have at least one branch in every district and focus on financial services in rural areas on aug 21.
- The Prime Minister has given time on August 21 to launch IPPB. Two branches of the bank are already operational. Rest of the 648 branches will be launched across country in every distric.
- IPPB will leverage reach of 1.55 lakh post office branches to provide banking and financial service to people in rural area.
Banks collect ₹ 5,000 crore in FY18 as minimum balance penalty:
- Twenty-one public sector banks and three major private sector lenders collected ₹ 5,000 crore from customers as minimum balance penalty in 2017-18, according to banking data.
- State Bank of India, which suffered a staggering net loss of ₹ 6,547 crore during 2017-18, led the pack in penalising its customers for not maintaining minimum balance.It accounted for nearly half the amount collected as minimum balance penalty.
- After SBI, the largest amount of minimum balance penalty during 2017-18 was collected by HDFC Bank Ltd. It charged its customers ₹ 590.84 crore, which is lower than ₹ 619.39 crore in 2016-17, the data revealed.
Vaibhav Suri wins Biel Masters:
- Grandmaster Vaibhav Suri won the Biel Masters chess title with an unbeaten display and teenager Prtihu Gupta made his second Grandmaster norm in the premier nine-round competition .
- Seeded 19th in a field that attracted 26 GMs and participants from 31 countries, Suri won five games and drew the rest to tally seven points.
- Germany’s Dennis Wagner topped an eight-way tie for the second spot at 6.5 points. Top seed Pavel Eljanov (Ukraine) took the third spot.
Virat Kohli tops ICC Rankings for Test Batsmen:
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli topped the ICC Rankings for Test Batsmen, riding on his brilliant century against England in the opening Test at Birmingham.
- Kohli thus became the seventh Indian batsman and first since Sachin Tendulkar in June 2011 to be ranked the number one Test batsman.Kohli reached the top of the summit for the first time in his 67-Test career.