DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 20, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 20, 2018
First National Workshop on POSHAN Abhiyan
- The first National workshop on POSHAN Abhiyaan involving all the states and union territories is being held at PravasiBharatiya Kendra,New Delhi.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is organising the workshop.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan has been set up with a three year budget of Rs.9046.17 crore commencing from 2017-18.
Indian Navy: Bilateral Exercise ‘Varuna’ with French Navy
- The navies of India and France are currently engaged in a joint bilateral exercise named “Varuna-18”.
- It commences in the Arabian Sea off the Goa coast.
- The drill would include anti-submarine, air defence and asymmetric engagement exercises.
- The last edition of VARUNA was conducted off the French Coast in Apr 2017.
PM Modi Lays Foundation Stone for Navi Mumbai Airport
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the long overdue airport project at Navi Mumbai.
- The budget allocated for the project is Rs 16,700 crore.
- It is expected to ease flight operations at Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
Informal WTO Ministerial Meeting Held in New Delhi
- The Informal World Trade Organisation Ministerial Meeting held in New Delhi.
- It provides an opportunity to engage in free and frank discussions with the hope that it will lead to political guidance on some major issues.
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
Head: Roberto Azevedo
Satya Pal Malik given additional charge as Governor of Odisha
- Bihar Governor Satya Pal Malik has been given additional charge as the Governor of Odisha.
- Dr SC Jamir, who is the present Odisha governor, is completing his tenure today.
Chief minister: Naveen Patnaik
President Inaugurates Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- President of India to Inaugurate Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (FINE) at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- He also presented Gandhian Young Technological Innovation awards instituted by Society for Research and Initiatives for Sustainable Technologies and Institutions [SRISTI].
- FINE, an initiative to recognise, respect, showcase, reward innovations and to foster a supportive ecosystem for innovators.
Karnataka Government approves ‘religious minority’ status for Lingayats
- Karnataka’s Siddaramaiah-led Congress government accepted an expert committee’s recommendation, and accorded the status of a religion (a minority one) to the Lingayat sect.
- Lingayats are followers of 12th century Brahmin saint Basavanna who rebelled against Brahminism and its ritualistic practices.
- The state cabinet have decided to accept the recommendations of a committee that suggested that Lingayats should be granted religious minority status.
Jharkhand gave nod for plastic industry infrastructure
- The Jharkhand cabinet gave its nod to the government for forming a special purpose vehicle (SPV) and an industrial park for promoting plastic industries in state.
- The 11 member ministerial council led by chief minister Raghubar Das approved the formation of the SPV (Jharkhand Plastic Park Limited) and cleared the deck for setting up a plastic park in Debipur block in Deoghar district.
- A financial approval of Rs 120 crore was given for both the projects.
Chief Minister: Raghubar Das
Governor: Draupadi Murmu
India ties up with EU On Sharing Earth Observation Data
- India and the European Union signed an agreement that will enable them to share earth observation data from each other’s satellite.
- The pact was inked in Bengaluru by Philippe Brunet, director for Space Policy, Copernicus and Defence, on behalf of the European Commission and by PG Diwakar, scientific secretary.
- The aim is to strengthen and stimulate cooperation on Earth observation and mutual access to the data.
Headquarters: City of Brussels, Belgium
Greece launches its own space agency
- Greece launched its first space agency as an effort to rebuild the ailing economy as it exits a severe eight-year debt crisis.
- Entering into the space sector can make Greece stronger and more productive, increasing the country’s standing in many ways.
Prime Minister: Alexis Tsipras
BANKING AND ECONOMY
SEBI Raises Currency Derivative Trade Limit To $100 Million
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has raised the exposure limit under exchange-traded currency derivatives trading for residents and foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) to $ 100 million across all currency pairs involving the Indian rupee.
- The move will help entities engaged in forex transactions to maintain their currency risks in a better manner.
Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
Cricketer Kevin Pietersen Announces Retirement
- England batsman Kevin Pietersen announced his apparent retirement from cricket.
- He played his last game for the Quetta Gladiators in the ongoing edition of the Pakistan Super League.
- The right-hand batsman began his career in 2004 agai nst Zimbabwe in Harare.
Veteran Hindi poet Kedarnath Singh passes away
- The Veteran poet and author Kedarnath Singh, one of the doyens of modern poetry in Hindi, passed away.
- He was awarded the Sahitya Akademi Award in Hindi in 1989 for Akaal Mein Saras (Cranes in Drought) — his poetry collection and the Jnanpith Award in 2013.
World Sparrow day – March 20,2018
- The World Sparrow Day is observed on March 20, 2018.
- In Bengaluru, Edwin Joseph popularly known as Sparrow Man, has transformed his home into a sanctuary for the little gregarious birds.