Daily Current Affairs: December 1, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (December 1, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World AIDS Day: December 1:
- World Aids Day is observed across the globe on December 1 every year since 1988 to raise awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection and mourning those who have died of the disease.
- Theme: “Ending the HIV/AIDS epidemic: Resilience and Impact”
Border Security Force Raising Day- December 1:
- Border Security Force (BSF) Celebrates its 56th Raising Day on December 1, 2020. BSF was formed on December 1, 1965 as a unified central agency, after the Indo-Pak and India-China wars, for ensuring the security of the borders of India and for matters connected therewith.
Nagaland celebrates its 58th Statehood day- December 1:
- Nagaland became the 16th State of the Union of India on 1st December 1,963. The then President Dr S. Radhakrishnan did the formal inauguration. The state is all set to celebrate its 58th statehood day, marking the beginning of the Hornbill Festival.
Andhra Pradesh government Launched the “Jagananna Thodu scheme” to provide an interest-free loan to small traders and artisans:
- Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the “Jagananna Thodu scheme” extending zero-interest loans to vendors and artisan across the state. He paid Rs 905 crore to banks to raise Rs 10,000 interest-free loan to 9.05 lakh small traders. Through this, about ₹1,000 crores is lent to 10 lakh people.
- QR-based Smart ID cards will be provided to vendors to avail the benefits. The scheme will be monitored by Society for Elimination of Rural Poverty (SERP) & Mission for Elimination of Poverty in Municipal Areas (MEPMA) of Andhra Pradesh
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park, Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Union Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal inaugurates newly electrified Dhigawara-Bandikui section of North Western Railway:
- Union Minister of Railways Shri Piyush Goyal inaugurated the newly electrified Dhigawara-Bandikui section of North Western Railway (NWR) in the state of Rajasthan. The section is on the Delhi-Ajmer route via Jaipur where electrification work has recently been completed.
Government Launches ‘Mission COVID Suraksha’ to accelerate Indian COVID-19 Vaccine Development:
- The government of India has announced the third stimulus package of 900 Crore a period of 12 months for the ‘Mission COVID Suraksha’. The Indian COVID-19 Vaccine Development Mission. This grant will be provided to the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) for Research & Development of Indian COVID-19 vaccines.
Union Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda to launch 10-day-long ‘Aadi Mahotsav’:
- Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda launched the 10-day long Aadi Mahotsav. It is a unique celebration of the spirit of tribal culture, crafts, cuisine, and commerce. It commenced in 2017. It aims to familiarize people with the rich & diverse craft & culture of tribal communities.
- Minister of State for Tribal Affairs Renuka Singh, Minister for Tribal Development, Madhya Pradesh Meena Singh, and TRIFED chairman Ramesh Chand Meena would be the guests of honor for this Virtual inauguration.
Punjab government signs MoU with International Agency I-DAIR for Digital Infrastructure in Health Sector:
- Punjab Government inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with International Digital Health & Artificial Intelligence Research Collaborative (I-DAIR), hosted at the Graduate Institute of International & Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland.
- This collaborative Endeavor would provide Digital Opportunity to nearly 30 million Punjabis to reinvent and reinvigorate the delivery of health services in the world.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief Minister: Captain Amarinder Singh
- Governor: V P Singh Badnore.
National Security Advisor Ajit Doval Participates in Trilateral Maritime Meeting in Sri Lanka:
- National Security Advisor Ajit Doval took part in the high-level trilateral maritime dialogue among India, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives. Sri Lanka is hosting the fourth trilateral meeting on Maritime Security Cooperation with India and the Maldives.
- The meeting is taking place after six years the last meeting was held in New Delhi in 2014.
- Capital: Colombo
- Currency: Rupee
- Prime Minister: Mahinda Rajapaksa
- President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
India and France Launch Bilateral Fast Track Mechanism in Investments:
- India and France launched a “Bilateral Fast Track Mechanism” in the 18th session of India-France Joint Committee investments.
- Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri and French Minister Delegate for Foreign Trade and Economic Attractiveness Franck Riester also discussed ways to increase the trade and investment relations for the economic recovery after the coronavirus pandemic.
- Capital: Paris
- Currency: Euro
- President: Emmanuel Macron.
- Prime Minister: Jean Castex.
Banking and Economy:
HDFC Bank hits Rs 8 lakh crore market cap for first time:
- The market capitalization of HDFC Bank went past Rs 8 lakh crore making it the first domestic lender to achieve the feat. The market valuation rose to Rs 8,05,742 crore on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). HDFC Bank is 3rd most valued domestic firm in terms of market capitalization.
- Reliance Industries Limited with a market capitalization of Rs 13,30,633.76 crore is the country’s most valued firm, followed by Tata Consultancy Services with Rs 10,13,819.30 crore valuation.
HDFC Bank (Housing Development Finance Corporation):
- Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman– Deepak S. Parekh
- CEO: Aditya Puri.
- Tagline: “We understand your world”.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
India Grid Trust inks pact to acquire 74% stake in Parbati Koldam from Reliance Infrastructure Limited:
- India Grid Trust has inked an agreement to acquire a 74 per cent stake in Parbati Koldam Transmission Company (PKTCL) from Reliance Infrastructure Limited. The implied enterprise value for 100 percent equity shares is approximately Rs 9,000 million.
- The paid-up capital of PKTCL is Rs 272.837 crore and net worth is of around Rs 440.150 crore in FY19-20.
Science and Technology:
UNDP Accelerator Lab India launches ‘GRID’ to foster development:
- The India chapter of the Accelerator Labs, an initiative by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) launched a Grassroot Innovation Database (GRID) to foster inclusive development.
- It contains 1,500 solutions, ranging from simple to complex in design, which can be implemented at the community level. These innovative solutions have been developed by grass-root communities, individuals, start-ups, students, and other innovators from various states across India.
BHEL Sets New Record of Manufacturing India’s Highest-Rated Auto Transformer:
- State-owned engineering firm Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has successfully manufactured and tested (short circuit) India’s highest rating Auto Transformer at the National High-Power Test Laboratory (NHPTL) at Bina in Madhya Pradesh.
- The 500 MVA 400/220/33 kV autotransformer has been designed and manufactured at BHEL’s Bhopal plant for UP Power Transmission Corporation Ltd.
Senior IAS officer Utpal Kumar Singh appointed as Secretary-General of Lok Sabha:
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla appointed senior IAS officer Utpal Kumar Singh as Secretary-General of the Lok Sabha. He will assume charge on December 1. Utpal Singh is a 1986 batch IAS officer of Uttrakhand Cadre. He will succeed incumbent Snehlata Shrivastava.
Music maestro AR Rahman Appointed as the Brand Ambassador for BAFTA Breakthrough India 2020-21:
- Double Oscar-winning Indian composer R. Rahman was appointed as the Ambassador for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA)’s initiative “BAFTA Breakthrough India 2020-21”.
- This initiative is supported by Netflix, aims to identify, celebrate, and support up to five talents working in film, games, or TV in India.
Marisol Casado of Spain re-elected as President of the International Triathlon Union (ITU):
- Marisol Casado of Spain has been re-elected as President of the International Triathlon Union (ITU), earning another four-year term. She has led World Triathlon since 2008. Loreen Barnett of Canada has also won another four-year term after being re-elected as Secretary-General of ITU.
- In the Vice-President race, Antonio Alvarez of Mexico, Sarah Springman of Great Britain, and Bill Walker of Australia were all re-elected. World Triathlon is the international governing body for the multi-sport disciplines of triathlon, duathlon, aquathlon,
Awards and Recognitions:
Tamil Nadu ranks first in organ donation for the sixth consecutive year:
- Tamil Nadu has bagged the first rank for organ donation in the country for the sixth consecutive year. The National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisation of the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare department gave the award to Tamil Nadu Health Minister C Vijayabaskar and Tamil Nadu Health Secretary Radhakrishnan through a virtual meet.
- So far, a total of 8,245 organs have been received from 1,392 organ donors in Tamil Nadu.
Books and Authors:
A New Book Titled ‘Future of Regional Cooperation in Asia and the Pacific’ Released by ADB:
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has released a new book titled ‘Future of Regional Cooperation in Asia and the Pacific’. The book provides insight on how stronger regional cooperation strategies, including in health, trade, finance, and disaster risk, can help governments in Asia and the Pacific accelerate economic growth and robust recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prakash Javadekar and Hardeep Singh Puri release booklet ‘PM Modi and his Government’s Special Relationship with Sikhs’:
- Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar along with Union Minister for Civil Aviation and Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri released a booklet titled ‘PM Modi and his Government’s Special Relationship with Sikhs’.
- It was published by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, and released in English, Hindi & Punjabi languages.
India tops the list of educated migrants in rich countries; OECD data:
- According to OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) data report, India came at the top with around 12 Million Highly Educated Migrants living in the OECD Nations as of 2015-16 data.
- India continues to top the OECD list of educated emigrants since 2015/16 with more than three million highly educated migrants in the OECD, the share of those considered of high education status was nearly 65%.
Senegal Football World Cup Star Papa Bouba Diop passed away at 42:
- Former Premier League player and Senegal World Cup star Papa Bouba Diop has died. Diop made 63 appearances for his country with the highlight of his international career coming at the 2002 World Cup where he scored the first goal of the tournament as Senegal stunned reigning champion France 1-0.
Telangana MLA Nomula Narsimhaiah Passed away at 64:
- A senior leader of Telangana Rastra Samiti & a Member of the Legislative Assembly, Narasimhaiah passed away. He served as floor leader of the CPI-M twice in the erstwhile Andhra Pradesh Assembly while representing the Nakrekal constituency.
Rajasthan BJP MLA Kiran Maheshwari passes away at 59:
- BJP leader and MLA from Rajsamand in Rajasthan Kiran Maheshwari died at a hospital in Gurgaon. She had served, previously, as a member of parliament in the 14th Lok Sabha where she represented the Udaipur Constituency.
Lewis Hamilton wins Bahrain Grand Prix 2020:
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain) has won the Bahrain Grand Prix 2020. This is the 11th victory for Hamilton of the season, and the 95th F1 win of his career. Also, Hamilton now holds the records of historic 95 wins in Formula One history.
- Red Bull Racing teammates Max Verstappen (Netherlands) and Alexander Albon (Thailand) were second and third, respectively.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of December 1, 2020 now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.