Daily Current Affairs: November 24, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (November 24, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Antimicrobial Awareness Week – 18 November to 24 November
- World Antimicrobial Awareness Week (WAAW) is observed from 18–24 November every year to raise public awareness about global antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and encourage best practices among the general public, health workers, farmers, animal health specialists and policymakers and to prevent the emergence and spread of drug-resistant illnesses.
- Theme for 2021: ‘Spread Awareness, Stop Resistance’.
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) plans to set up India’s largest green hydrogen plant in Madhya Pradesh
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) has planned to set up India’s largest green hydrogen plant in Madhya Pradesh to achieve net-zero emissions for its operations by 2040.
- BPCL will soon float a tender for a 20 MW electrolyser at its refinery in Madhya Pradesh’s Bina to build India’s largest green hydrogen plant.
- This plant will be twice as large as GAIL’s most recent tender for a 10 MW electrolyser, which was the largest so far.
Union Government is set to introduce Bills to ban all private cryptocurrencies and to privatise banks along with other 24 legislations
- The Union Government has proposed to introduce the Cryptocurrency and Regulation of Official Digital Currency Bill of 2021 to create a facilitative framework for the creation of the official digital currency to be issued by the Reserve Bank of India and to regulate cryptocurrency and ban all private cryptocurrencies, along with 25 other pieces of legislation in the winter session of the Parliament that begins on 29 November.
- The Cryptocurrency and Regulation of Official Digital Currency Bill of 2021 along with the Banking Laws (Amendment) Bill of 2021, paves the way for the privatisation of two public sector banks in the upcoming session.
- Some of the Bills that are to be passed in the upcoming winter session of the Parliament are:
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. K. Stalin released the Tamil Nadu FinTech Policy 2021 to transform Tamil Nadu into a leading global destination for fintech firms by 2025.
- This Fintech Policy seeks to support fintech start-ups in multiple ways including reimbursing 75 per cent of operational expenses and 100 per cent of State Goods and Services Tax (SGST) for three years apart from repayment of costs incurred for training and marketing.
- The Tamil Nadu Government in its FinTech Policy 2021 has announced that a structured package of incentives would be extended to firms that have invested more than ₹50 crores and provided direct employment for 300 people or more over less than three years, on a case-to-case basis.
- Tamil Nadu Government has already kick-started the implementation of fintech city in Chennai for ₹165 crores.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: M. K. Stalin
- Governor: R. N. Ravi
- National Parks: Mukurthi National Park, Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park
Bengaluru Airport becomes the first airport in South Asia to commission a firefighting simulator from Rosenbauer International
- The Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru became the first airport in South Asia to commission a tactical simulator from Austria-based company Rosenbauer International to strengthen its firefighting capabilities.
- Firefighters can practice in a realistic setting, master the tactical use of Rosenbauer panther trucks and operate high-reach extendable turrets (HRET) for extreme aircraft fire emergencies.
Banking & Economy
Indian Government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) sign a $300 million loan agreement to strengthen and improve primary healthcare in urban areas of 13 states
- Indian Government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) have signed a $300 million loan agreement to strengthen and improve access to comprehensive primary healthcare in urban areas of Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and West Bengal.
- This loan agreement supports key health initiatives such as Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centres and Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission by expanding availability and access to quality primary healthcare services particularly for vulnerable populations in urban areas.
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
Kuwait reappoints Sheikh Sabah Al-Khalid as its Prime Minister
- Kuwait’s Emir has reappointed Sheikh Sabah Al-Khalid as the Prime Minister of Kuwait.
- He was the Prime Minister since late 2019 and was reappointed by an Emiri order issued by Crown Prince of Kuwait Sheikh Meshal al-Ahmad al-Sabah.
- Capital: Kuwait City
- Currency: Dinar
- Prime Minister: Sheikh Sabah Al-Khalid
Nicolae Ciuca was appointed as the Prime Minister of Romania
- Nicoale Ciuca was appointed as the Prime Minister of Romania by the President of Romania Klaus Iohannis.
- Nicoale Ciuca is currently serving as a caretaker defence minister in the United States-led military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Capital: Bucharest
- Currency: Leu
- President: Klaus Iohannis
Goldman Sachs forecasts India’s GDP growth rate at 9.1% in 2022
- Goldman Sachs has forecasted India’s GDP to grow to 1% in 2022 up from 8% in 2021, following a steep decline of 7% in 2020.
- Headquarters: New York, United States
Indian Army Southern Command conducts multi-agency exercise ‘Sagar Shakti’
- The Indian Army’s Pune-based Southern Command concluded a four-day multi-agency exercise ‘Sagar Shakti’ including Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Border Security Force and Gujarat state security in Kutchs’ Creek region to validate the battle readiness and operational effectiveness of troops of the Southern Army in an integrated and futuristic battlefield scenario.
- This exercise was a part of a training exercise ‘Dakshin Shakti’ focusing on network-centric warfare, which refers to the effective use of information technology and computer networking technologies to establish networks of diverse force units on the battlefield.
The coast guards of India, Srilanka and the Maldives conduct a trilateral exercise ‘Dosti’
- The coast guards of India, the Maldives and Sri Lanka have conducted the 15th edition of the five-day trilateral exercise ‘Dosti’ in the Maldives to enhance interoperability and cooperation.
- Dosti exercise was initiated in 1991 between the Indian and the Maldives’ coast guards and Sri Lanka joined this exercise for the first time in 2012.
Ranks and Indices
Andhra Pradesh was named as the best marine state in India
- On the occasion of World Fisheries Day on 21 November 2021, the Department of Fisheries under the Union Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying awarded best performing states and districts for 2021-2022 for the second time in the Fisheries sector during the Fisheries Award 2021.
- Best Marine State – Andhra Pradesh
- Best Marine District – Balasore, Odisha
- Best Inland District – Balaghat, Madhya Pradesh
- Best Inland State – Telangana
- Best Hilly and Northeastern District – Bongaigaon, Assam
- Best Hilly and Northeastern State – Tripura
Shimla tops the Sustainable Development Goals Urban Index and Dashboard 2021-22 launched by NITI Aayog
- NITI Aayog under the Indo-German Cooperation has released the inaugural Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Urban Index and Dashboard 2021–22in which Shimla topped the index followed by Coimbatore and Chandigarh.
- Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, Panaji, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Ahmedabad and Nagpur were among the list of top 10 cities.
- This index and dashboard will help cities improve the SDG localisation and implement effective SDG monitoring.
NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- Vice-Chairperson: Rajiv Kumar
Agreements and MoUs signed
Union Ministry of Civil Aviation signs an MoU with the Indian School of Business (ISB) to study regional connectivity scheme
- Indian School of Business of Hyderabad has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Union Ministry of Civil Aviation to research and study the effect of regional connectivity scheme.
- This MoU will be an extension of the socio-economic impact study of the Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik – Regional Connectivity Scheme (UDAN-RCS) conducted by the Indian School of Business on a pro-bono basis in 2020.
Equitas Small Finance Bank ties up with HDFC Bank to offer co-branded credit cards
- Equitas Small Finance Bank has tied up with HDFC Bank for the launch of its new co-branded credit cards, to provide Equitas Small Finance Bank with the facilities of the banking ecosystem.
- This credit card can be availed in two categories:
- Excite Credit Card – offers credit limit from ₹25,000 to ₹2 lakhs
- Elegance Credit Card – offers a credit of over ₹2 lakhs
Science and Technology
Google adds Malayalam and Bengali to the Google News Showcase
- Google News Showcase has been updated to include two new languages — Malayalam and Bengali, allowing more readers to access news in their own languages.
- With this addition of Malayalam and Bengali, Google now has over 60 partners representing more than 100 publications in 8 languages.
Former South Korean President Chun Doo-hwan passed away
- Former South Korean President Chun Doo-hwan passed away at the age of 90.
- He was an army major general when he seized power in December 1979.
Daily CA- 24 November One-Liners
|World Antimicrobial Awareness Week – 18 November to 24 November|
|Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) plans to set up India’s largest green hydrogen plant in Madhya Pradesh|
|Union Government is set to introduce Bills to ban all private cryptocurrencies and to privatise banks along with other 24 legislations|
|Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. K. Stalin releases the Tamil Nadu FinTech Policy 2021|
|Bengaluru Airport becomes the first airport in South Asia to commission a firefighting simulator from Rosenbauer International|
|Indian Government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) sign a $300 million loan agreement to strengthen and improve primary healthcare in urban areas of 13 states|
|Kuwait reappoints Sheikh Sabah Al-Khalid as its Prime Minister|
|Nicolae Ciuca was appointed as the Prime Minister of Romania|
|Goldman Sachs forecasts India’s GDP growth rate at 9.1% in 2022|
|Indian Army Southern Command conducts multi-agency exercise ‘Sagar Shakti’|
|The coast guards of India, Srilanka and the Maldives conduct a trilateral exercise ‘Dosti’|
|Andhra Pradesh was named as the best marine state in India|
|Shimla tops the Sustainable Development Goals Urban Index and Dashboard launched by NITI Aayog|
|Union Ministry of Civil Aviation signs an MoU with the Indian School of Business (ISB) to study regional connectivity scheme|
|Equitas Small Finance Bank ties up with HDFC Bank to offer co-branded credit cards|
|Google adds Malayalam and Bengali to the Google News Showcase|
|Former South Korean President Chun Doo-hwan passed away|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of November 24, 2021, now from the link given below.