DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: DECEMBER 27, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: DECEMBER 27, 2018
Daily Current Affairs (December 27, 2018) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
PM Modi inaugurates India’s longest rail-road bridge in Assam :
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the country’s longest rail-cum-road bridge in Bogibeel over the Brahmaputra river in Assam.
- The inauguration of the bridge coincided with the birth anniversary of former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee, under whose government the work for the bridge started in 2002.
- The 4.94km-long Bogibeel Bridge in Assam is India’s longest rail-cum-road bridge.
STATIC : ASSAM
Capital : Dispur
Chief Minister : Sarbananda Sonowal
Governor : Jagdish Mukhi
India takes over operations of Iran’s strategic Chabahar Port :
- India Ports Global Limited formally took over the operations of Chabahar’s Shaheed Behesti port in Iran, which opens a trade route between India and central Asia bypassing Pakistan during a first meeting of the follow-up committee for the implementation of the Chabahar Agreement between Iran, Afghanistan, and India in the port city Tehran.
- India formally took over operations at Chabahar port in Iran, giving a major boost to the country’s efforts to support war-torn Afghanistan.
- New Delhi’s efforts to develop the port, which allows India to ship supplies to Afghanistan while bypassing Pakistan, received a fillip recently when Washington exempted Chabahar from Iran-related sanctions.
DIPP Swachch Bharat Grand Challenge Awards Presented :
- As part of the Swachhta Pakhwada held from 1st to 15th November, 2018, Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) organized a Swachch Bharat Grand Challenge.
- This was organized to reward innovative solutions by DIPP recognized Start-ups in the country. Four areas of sanitation, waste management, water and wastewater management and air management were selected for thegrand challenge.
- The 1st Prize money for the Swachch Bharat Grand Challengewas Rs. 2 lakh and 2nd Prize, Rs. 1 lakh along with acertificate of appreciation.
Sector – Air
Maclec technical project laboratory pvt. Ltd, Delhi.
Sector – Sanitation
Altersoft Innovations India Private Limited, Kerala (Cochin).
Sector – Waste
Sanshodhan An E-Waste Exchange Private Limited, Telangana.
Sector – Water
REVY Environmental Solutions Pvt Ltd, Gujarat.
Andhra Pradesh gets new high court in Amaravati :
- Andhra Pradesh’s very own High Court will begin functioning from January 1. The Ministry of Law and Justice notified the constitution of the High Court in Amaravati.
- President Ram Nath Kovind signed a notification in this regard.Andhra Pradesh High Court will be the 25th High Court in the country.
3rd Dwijing Festival begins in Assam :
- In Assam, the third Dwijing Festival has begun today on the bank of Aye river at Chirang district. Around 15 lakh tourists are expected to participate in the festival.Participants from Thailand, Bhutan and Bangladesh have reached the festival.
- Assam PHE minister Rihon Daimary inaugurated the festival in presence of several dignitaries.
- Adventure sports, food mart, cultural events, traditional games are being organized in the 12 day long event.
Another Olive Ridley Nesting Site in Odisha : Bahuda Rookery
- The Odisha forest department is all set to add another olive ridley mass nesting site to its wildlife map.
- Of these sites, Gahirmatha marine sanctuary is largest rookery (mass nesting site) of Olive Ridley turtles.
- Odisha is home to 50% of the total world’s population of Olive Ridleys and about 90% of Indian population of sea turtles.
- Recently, Odisha forest department added another olive ridley mass nesting site Bahuda Rookery at beach on Bahuda river mouth in Ganjam district. It is located around 20 km to south of Rushikulya rookery coast.
BANKING & ECONOMY
New 20 rupees Notes to be Released by RBI Soon:
- The Reserve Bank of India will soon introduce Rs 20 notes with additional features. The reserve bank has already issued new-look currency notes in the denominations of Rs 10, Rs 50, Rs 100, and Rs 500, besides introducing Rs 200 and Rs 2000 notes after demonetisation.The new notes are being introduced under the Mahatma Gandhi series.
- The new currency notes are different in size and design compared to issued previously.The currency notes, except for banned Rs 500 and Rs 1000, issued under the old series continue to remain legal tender.
STATIC : RBI
25th Governor: Shaktikanta Das
Security-service SMEs to grow at 18-20%: CRISIL Research:
- A research from CRISL states that security services, where small and medium enterprises (SMEs) have 60-65 per cent market share, have logged a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18-20 per cent over the past three fiscal years and it expects them to grow at a similar pace over the next two fiscal years.
- The growth of security services is driven by infrastructure development, urbanisation, the growing incidence of crime and terrorism, and the low police to population ratio.
Ex-RBI governor Bimal Jalan to lead panel on economic capital framework:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) set up an expert committee, headed by its former governor Bimal Jalan, to suggest how the central bank should handle its reserves and whether it can transfer its surplus to the government.
- The committee, which has been formed to review the existing economic capital framework (ECF), will have former RBI deputy governor Rakesh Mohan as its vice chairman.
- The committee will decide whether RBI is holding provisions, reserves, and buffers in the surplus or deficit of the required levels.The panel will submit its report within 90 days of its first meeting.
Ricky Ponting Formally Inducted into ICC Hall of Fame :
- Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting became the 25th player from his country to be inducted into the ICC hall of fame.
- Ponting received his commemorative cap from compatriot ICC Cricket Hall of Famer, Glenn McGrath at the MCG.
- Ponting became the third player to be inducted into the hall of fame in 2018 after India’s Rahul Dravid and England’s Claire Taylor. The total number of hall of fame members now stands at 87.
Aadi Sai from KC High, Chennai wins World’s debate championship :
- India’s Aadi Sai Vijaykaran, an 13 years old class 8 student from KC High, Chennai created history by winning the Junior debate championship at the World’s Scholar Cup held at Yale University, USA.
- The theme for the cup was ‘An Entangled World: diplomacy, human relationships, the science of memory, and literature, art’.
- This is the first time any individual from India has won the coveted junior debate championship.The Tournament of Champions of World Scholar’s Cup, held in Yale University, is a competition for young debaters from around the world.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Eminent Sitar Player Manju Mehta conferred Tansen Samman, 2018 :
- The Madhya Pradesh Government has conferred the annual Tansen Samman upon eminent Sitar Player Manju Mehta for her contribution in the field of Hindustani classical music.
- The award was presented by Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar on inaugural function of Tansen Music Festival in Gwalior.
- Tansen (earlier names Ramtanu Pande/Mohammad Ata Ali Khan) was the legendary court musician of Akbar.
Kuno wildlife sanctuary to be notified national park :
- The Madhya Pradesh forest department is likely to notify Kuno wildlife sanctuary as a national park in compliance with the last condition imposed by a Supreme Court-appointed committee for the much awaited ‘translocation of Asiatic lions from Gir in Gujarat.’
- The move is expected to pave way for translocation of lions from Gir in Gujarat to Kuno. It is spread over 750 sq km area.
CA Kuttappa Appointed As India’s Chief Boxing Coach :
- Dronacharya awardee CA Kuttappa has taken over as India’s chief boxing coach at the ongoing national camp from which star pugilist Vikas Krishan (75kg) was left out following his professional plunge.
- The 39-year-old Kuttappa is credited with shaping some of the country’s most successful boxers such as Vijender Singh, M Suranjoy Singh, and Shiva Thapa, among others.
Former KU VC Prof Hamidi Kashmiri passes away :
- Dr. Hamidi Kashmiri, the tallest literary figure in the world of Urdu language, literature and literary criticism passed away recently.
- He was a prolific creative writer, an acclaimed critic and propounder of “Iktishaafi Tanqueed”.
- His demise has created a void difficult to fill, especially in the subcontinent. He has also been the Vice Chancellor of University of Kashmir for years during the most difficult times of militant unrest.