DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 12, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 12, 2018
Government to establish National Women Entrepreneurship Council
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is considering to establish National Women Entrepreneurship Council (NWEC).
- NWEC will promote entrepreneurship as it would be the umbrella organization for socio-economic gender parity, financial inclusion and economic empowerment of women in India.
- It was announced by Minister of State for Women and Child Development, Dr. Virendra Kumar.
Mumbai: 12th Richest City Globally
- Mumbai, India’s financial capital is the 12th richest city in the world with a total wealth of $950 billion.The report was released by New World Wealth.
- The list of 15 wealthiest cities was topped by New York with a total wealth of $3 trillion.
- London ranked second in the list with $2.7 trillion, followed by Tokyo ($2.5 trillion), and San Francisco Bay area ($2.3 trillion).
- Total wealth refers to the private wealth held by all the individuals living in each city.
India and Oman sign 8 agreements
Prime Minister Narendra Modi held wide-ranging talks with the Sultan of Oman Sultan Qaboos and signed eight agreements.
The list of Agreements/MOUs signed on the occasion of the visit of Prime Minister of Oman:
- Agreement of Legal Judicial Cooperation in civil and Commercial Matters.
- Agreement of Mutual Visa Exemption for Holders of Diplomatic, Special, Service and Official Passports.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Health.
- MoU for Cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space.
- MoU cooperation between Foreign Service Institute, Ministry of External Affairs, India and Oman Diplomatic Institute.
- MoU Academic and Scholarly Cooperation Sectors between National Defence College, Sultanate of Oman and the Institute for Defence studies and analyses.
- MoU in the Field of Tourism Cooperation between India and Oman.
- Annexure to the MoU on Military Cooperation.
Currency: Omani Rial
PM Modi lays foundation stone of first Hindu temple in Abu Dhabi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi officially launched the foundation stone-laying ceremony for the first Hindu temple in in Al Wathba, Abu Dhabi, the capital city of United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- This is the first stone temple to be built in Abu Dhabi off Dubai-Abu Dhabi highway and it will be completed by 2020.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
SBI Write Off Bad Loans Worth Over Rs 20,000 crore
- The country’s largest lender SBI write off bad loans worth Rs 20,339 crore in 2016-17.
- It is the highest among all the public sector banks, which had a collective write off of Rs 81,683 crore for the fiscal.
- Besides SBI, Punjab National Bank had a write-off of Rs 9,205 crore in 2016-17, followed by Bank of India (Rs 7,346 crore), Canara Bank (Rs 5,545 crore).
Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar
ONGC Videsh, Partners Acquire 10% Stake In Abu Dhabi Oilfield
- ONGC Videsh Ltd and its partners have acquired a 10 percent in a large offshore oilfield in Abu Dhabi,Abu Dhabi National Oil Co.’s (ADNOC) for USD 600 million.
- The current production of this field is about 400,000 barrels of oil per day (20 million tonnes per annum) and Indian consortium’s annual share shall be about 2 million tonnes.
- It was signed in Abu Dhabi in presence of Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed al-Nahyan and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
CEO: Shashi Shanker
Rohan More becomes first Asian to swim across Ocean Seven
- Pune-based swimmer, Rohan More became the first Asian as well as the first Indian to swim across the Ocean Seven.
- Rohan is the youngest person in the world to swim across the Ocean Seven.
- He has received the Tenzing Norgay Award from the Indian Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Asma Jahangir Passed Away
- Pakistan’s well known human rights lawyer and social activist Asma Jahangir.
- Asma co-founded and chaired the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. She had also been Supreme Court Bar Association president.
Johann Johannsson passed away
- Johann Johannsson, an award-winning composer and producer passed away.
- Johannsson won a Golden Globe and received Grammy and Oscar nominations for his score for “The Theory of Everything,”.
National Productivity Day – FEB 12
- National Productivity Council is observing National Productivity Day February 12 and National Productivity Week till 18th February.
- The theme for the National Productivity Week is – Industry 4.0 Leapfrog Opportunity for India.