Daily Current Affairs: March 2, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (March 2, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) celebrated its 9th Foundation Day on 1 March
- The Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) celebrated its 9th Foundation Day at its headquarters in New Delhi.
- Secretary of Border Management in the Union Ministry of Home Affairs, Sanjeeva Kumar was the Chief Guest of the occasion.
- He highlighted the various new initiatives and projects being undertaken by LPAI
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari launched a real-time monitoring system for toll plazas
- Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari launched a real-time monitoring system for toll plazas across national highways.
- The live monitoring system for toll plazas will be used to measure queue length and waiting time on a real-time basis in a bid to provide an immediate response, reduce bottlenecks and improve the efficiency of mandatory FASTag usage.
- FASTag is an electronic toll collection system in India, operated by the National Highway Authority of India. It employs Radio Frequency Identification technology (RFID) for making toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it.
39th Agartala International Book Fair began in Tripura
- Chief Minister of Tripura Biplab Kumar Deb inaugurated the 39th Agartala International Book Fair at Agartala. The 14-day long book fair was held under the theme of “Ek Tripura, Shrestha Tripura”.
- Bangladesh Assistant High Commissioner Jobayed Hossain and other state cabinet ministers and MLAs also present.
- Capital: Agartala
- Chief Minister: Biplab Kumar Deb
- Governor: Ramesh Bais.
11th edition of the Global Indian Physicians Congress (GAPIO) held virtually
- The Global Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (GAPIO), a non-profit organisation, and leading association for the Indian medical diaspora, organised its annual Global Indian Physicians Congress in virtual mode. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Harsh Vardhan was the Chief Guest.
- This virtual conference provided an international forum to delegates to share their knowledge and exchange ideas on clinical skill development, solutions to contemporary health issues, and modernizing the approach to delivering healthcare.
Banking and Economy
GST collection rises 7% to Rs. 1.13 lakh crore in February 2021
- The monthly Goods and Services Tax (GST) collection crossed the 1 lakh crore mark for the fifth time in a row in February 2021. GST collection rose 7 percent year-on-year to Rs. 1.13 lakh crores in the month.
- The collection is, however, lower than the record 1.19 lakh crores collected in January 2021.
SBI General Insurance signed a Corporate Agency Agreement with Indian Overseas Bank
- SBI General Insurance and Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) has signed a bancassurance agreement for the distribution of non-life offerings. Through the alliance, SBI General will offer a range of general insurance solutions and innovative products to IOB customers.
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB)
State Bank of India (SBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Dinesh Kumar Khara.
- Tagline: The Banker to Every Indian
Science and Technology
Russia launched the first ‘Arktika-M’ satellite to monitor the Arctic region
- Russia launched its first satellite ‘Arktika-M’ aimed at monitoring the Arctic region’s climate and environment. Space Agency Roscosmos launched the satellite ‘Arktika-M’ from Baikonur Cosmodrome, a spaceport leased to Russia in Kazakhstan.
- The satellite was carried by Soyuz-2.1b carrier rocket and it will help to collect information to solve operational meteorology and hydrology problems and monitoring the climate and environment in the Arctic region.
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister: Mikhail Mishustin
Aditya Birla Health Insurance introduced India’s first health insurance plan with up to 100 percent return on premium
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance Company Limited (ABHICL), the health insurance subsidiary of Aditya Birla Capital Limited, announced an industry-first initiative of up to 100 per cent health insurance premium returns and other significant product offering upgrades.
- The newly designed version of its flagship product ‘Activ Health’ will inspire customers to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh took charge of the Eastern Naval Command
- Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh took over as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C), Eastern Naval Command (ENC) from Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain at the Naval Base.
- Vice Admiral Jain is now the Chief of Integrated Defence Staff to the Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee (CISC) based out of New Delhi.
Economic Affairs Secretary Tarun Bajaj to take additional charge of Revenue Secretary
- Secretary of Department of Economic Affairs Tarun Bajaj has been given additional charge of Revenue Secretary. He has been given an additional charge after the superannuation of Revenue Secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey.
- Tarun Bajaj is a 1988 batch Indian Administrative Service Officer of the Haryana cadre. Prior to taking over this post, he was the Additional Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office.
Jaideep Bhatnagar takes over as the Principal Director General of the Press Information Bureau
- Jaideep Bhatnagar has taken over as the Principal Director General of the Press Information Bureau. He takes over from Kuldeep Singh Dhatwalia.
- Jaideep Bhatnagar is an Officer of the Indian Information Service, Batch of 1986. He has earlier served in Doordarshan News and as Head of the Commercial, Sales, and Marketing Division of Doordarshan.
Awards and Recognitions
PM Narendra Modi received the CERAWEEK Global Energy and Environment Leadership Award
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi received the CERAWeek Global Energy and Environment Leadership Award in recognition of his commitment to sustainability in energy and the environment.
- The 36th edition of the CERAWeek Conference – 2021 has been organised by the information and insights company IHS Markit based in Houston, Texas.
- Theme: “The New Map: Energy, Climate, and Charting the Future”
Madhya Pradesh MP Nandkumar Singh Chauhan passed away at 69
- Madhya Pradesh MP Nandkumar Singh Chauhan passed away at the age of 69. The leader started his political career in 1978 from the Shahpur Municipal Council and was later elected as a member of the Madhya Pradesh Assembly. He was an MLA from 1985 to 1996.
- He was elected as the Lok Sabha member for the first time in 1996 and got re-elected in 1998, 1999, 2004, 2014, and 2019.
Vinesh Phogat beats Vanesa Kaladzinskaya to win gold in Ukraine
- Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat won the gold medal in the women’s 53-kg category at the XXIV Outstanding Ukrainian Wrestlers and Coaches Memorial in Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Vinesh Phogat defeated world number seven Vanesa Kaladzinskaya of Belarus in the finals to win the gold medal and make a winning return to her first competitive outing since the COVID-19 induced lockdown.
- Haryana’s Bhiwani-based Vinesh Phogat is the only Indian woman wrestler to have qualified for the Tokyo Olympics Games 2021 in the 53-kg category.
Odisha to host the 5th edition of Indian Women’s League (2020-21)
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) confirmed Odisha as the venue for the 2020-21 edition of the Indian Women’s League (IWL). This is the fifth edition of the IWL, which began in 2016 and was held in Delhi.
- India is scheduled to host the AFC Women’s Asian Cup in 2022 which will be followed by the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in 2022.
All India Football Federation (AIFF):
- President: Praful Patel
- Founded: 23 June 1937
- Headquarters: Dwarka, Delhi.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 1, 2021, now from the link given below.