DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: JANUARY 23, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (January 23, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Government constitutes NITI Aayog-led Committee to monitor drug prices :
The government, acting through the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilisers, has decided to establish a committee under NITI Aayog, that will be tasked with recommending price controls and monitoring the prices of specific drugs and health products to ensure their affordability.
The Standing Committee on Affordable Medicines and Health Products (SCAMHP) which will be headed by a NITI Aayog member (Health) will be the recommending body to National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA).
Gadkari to inaugurate first inter-state bridge in Jammu and Kashmir
- Nitin Gadkari to inaugurate first inter-state bridge in jammu and kashmir.It was built at a cost of Rs 150 crore in a span of three and a half years linking areas of Katthua district with Punjab.
- The bridge also called as Keediyan-Gandiyal bridge is 1.2 km-long on the river Ravi.
STATIC:Jammu and Kashmir
Capital:Srinagar (Summer), Jammu (Winter)
Chief Minister:Vacant(presidential rule)
Governor:Satya Pal Malik
Arunachal govt declares Pakke Hornbill Fest as ‘state festival’ :
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister, Pema Khandu declared Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival (PPHF) as the “State Festival” during a valedictory ceremony of the fourth edition of the festival at Seijosa in East Kameng district, Arunachal Pradesh.
- In the PPHF festival is celebrated to the first time in 2015 to recognize the role played by the resident Nyishi tribe in conserving hornbills in the Pakke Tiger Reserve (PTR).
Governor: B.D. Mishra
Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
India signed 11 MoUs worth $9.5 million with Afghanistan :
India has signed 11 Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) with Afghanistan for 26 projects worth 9.5 million dollars in the field of infrastructure, public services such as health clinics and governance-related projects.
The MoUs signed will involve the construction of classrooms, orphanages, health clinics, canal protection walls and enhancing economic opportunities for women.
It will help local communities in education, employment and livelihood generation and capacity building.
Currency: Afghan Afghani
President: Ashraf Ghani
Facebook to Set Up Institute for AI Ethics with Initial Investment of $7.5 Million:
- Social media giant Facebook announced that it will create an independent Institute for Ethics in Artificial intelligence (AI) with an initial investment of $7.5 million over a period of five years.
- Technical University of Munich (TUM) in Germany will collaborate with this project which aims to explore fundamental issues affecting the use and impact of AI.
BANKING & ECONOMY
The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India organised an Insolvency and Bankruptcy Awareness Programme at Vadodara, Gujarat.
- It is organised in collabration with three Insolvency Professional Agencies, namely, the Indian Institute of Insolvency Professionals of ICAI (lead partner), the ICSI Institute of Insolvency Professionals, and the Insolvency Professional Agency of Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
India ranks 80th on Global Talent Competitive Index 2019
According to the report of the 6th edition of Global Talent Competitive Index (GTCI) 2019 released by INSEAD business school in partnership with Tata Communications and Adecco Group , India has moved up one position to rank 80th on the Global Talent Competitive Index 2019 ranking.
The top 5 countries in the index included Switzerland followed by Singapore, the US, Norway and Denmark.
The top-ranked city this year is Washington, DC, followed by Copenhagen, Oslo, Vienna and Zurich.
Currency: Swiss Franc
President: Ueli Maurer
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Vice President of India launched the book ‘Universal Brotherhood Through Yoga”:
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu launched the book ‘Universal Brotherhood Through Yoga’ in New Delhi.The book is compiled by Bharatiya Sanskrit Pitham
- The book begins with the foundations, i.e., the philosophy behind all Yoga practices: The Yoga of Patanjali, the Yoga-Vashistha, the Yoga in the Bhagavad Gita, the Yoga in the Puranas, and so on.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Venkaiah Naidu Presents Chhatra Viswakarma and Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) Awards:
The Vice president of India Shri M Venkaiah Naidu presented the 2nd Chhatra Viswakarma Award to Students and their mentors and Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana Yojana (SAGY) awards to institution at an event organized by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) at New Delhi.
The theme of 2nd Chhatra Viswakarma Award was ‘Empowerment of villages through technologies’ whereas the theme of Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana was “Developed Village – Developed Nations”.
Rishabh Pant named ICC Emerging Player of the Year:
21-year Old Wicketkeeper batsman, Rishabh Pant was named the “International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Emerging Player of the year” for his brilliant performance in Test Cricket in 2018.
Rishabh Pant scored 537 runs including a century and two fifties in Tests in 2018. He also claimed 40 catches and two stumpings in 2018.
Former hockey Olympic gold medallist Raghbir Singh Bhola dies at 92 :
Former India hockey player Raghbir Singh Bhola, a two-time Olympic medallist, has passed away aged 92.In 2000, he was honoured with the Arjuna Award for his achievements in hockey.