DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jun 20, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jun 20 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Sickle Cell Day – June 19:
- World Sickle Cell Day is observed on June 19 Every year. World Sickle Cell Awareness Day is to increase public knowledge & understanding about sickle cell disease.
World Refugee Day- June 20:
- World Refugee Day observed on June 20 every year. It is dedicated to raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world. World Refugee Day First marked in 2001.
- Theme: “Every Action Counts”
Climate Change Tracker: India’s first ever climate change assessment:
- For the first time, India has released its own national report on the state of the climate crisis. Prepared under the aegis of the ministry of earth sciences (MoES) and edited by the scientists of the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology(IITM), Pune.
- Climate Change over the Indian Region takes a close look at where we stand regarding long-term changes in climate patterns, and their attendant risks.
Shri Pralhad Joshi launches R&D Portal for Atma-Nirbhar Bharat in Mining Advancement:
- Union Minister for Coal, Mines and Parliamentary Affairs Shri Pralhad Joshi launched SATYABHAMA (Science and Technology Yojana for Atma-Nirbhar Bharat in Mining Advancement) Portal for Science and Technology Programme Scheme of Ministry of Mines.
Tamil Nadu government introduces new portal for private jobs for aspirants:
- Tamil Nadu government has introduced a new portal for job seekers in the state. The state government’s Employment and Training department have started the new portal for private jobs on link tnprivatejobs.tn.gov.in.
- This portal will focus on private jobs in the state to assist job seekers in the post-pandemic period.
- Chief Minister:Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor:Banwarilal Purohit.
India can become electrical vehicle manufacturing hub in 5 years: Nitin Gadkari:
- Union Road Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari stated that India will be a manufacturing hub for electric vehicles within the next five years, adding that several countries do not want to deal with China after the COVID-19 crisis which can be an opportunity for India.
- During a webinar titled ‘India’s Electric Vehicle Roadmap Post COVID-19’.
Banking and Economy:
RBI increases PMC account withdrawal limit to Rs 1 lakh and extends restrictions by 6 months:
- Reserve Bank of India increased the withdrawal limit for depositors at the crisis-hit Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative Bank (PMC Bank) to Rs 1 lakh from Rs 50,000.
- RBI noted that with the relaxation in withdrawal limit, 84 per cent of the depositors of the bank will be able to withdraw their entire account balance.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Facebook acquires Sweden’s Mapillary for unknown sum to take on Google Maps:
- Facebook has acquired Swedish startup Mapillary, that is building a detailed, accurate, and up to date global street-level imagery platform, for an undisclosed sum.
Science and Technology:
IIT Mandi team develops infusion technology for herbs in mid-Himalayan region to help farmers:
- The team at the Institute’s Botanical Garden and Medicinal Plant Lab analysed various herbs growing in the mid-Himalayan region in and around the villages surrounding IIT Mandi, Kamand
- The technology is ready to license industries interested in working with Enabling Women of Kamand(EWOK)- a rural incubator at IIT Mandi, in the interest of empowering the Kamand Valley farmers.
IIT-Guwahati develops low-cost, high-quality ‘Made in Assam’ Covid-19 kits:
- IIT-Guwahati in association with RR Animal Healthcare Ltd and Guwahati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) has developed viral transport media (VTM) kits, RT-PCR kits and RNA isolation kits. The first lot of 20,000 VTM kits, used to keep the collected nasal and throat swab samples.
IIT-Madras and General Electric tie-up to build a next-gen combustor for small aircraft and helicopter engines:
- IIT Madras and General Electric India Technology Centre (GEITC) are jointly developing a 3D printed combustor aimed at reducing weight and improving fuel efficiency in small aircraft and helicopter engines.
- The Rs 7.24 crore Uchhatar Avishkar Yojana (UAY) mission is being carried out by the aerospace division on the Institute and is being funded by the federal government of India (75%) and GEITC (25%).
Reliance Industries becomes India’s first firm to hit ₹11 trillion market capitalisation:
- Reliance Industries Ltd became the first Indian company to reach a market capitalisation of ₹11 trillion as its shares doubled since mid-March. The stock rallied to hit a record high of ₹1,738.95 on the BSE, up about 5%.
Former RBI governor Urjit Patel appointed as chairman of NIPFP:
- Former Governor of Reserve Bank of India Urjit Patel who resigned from his post in Dec 2018 has been appointed as the chairman of the New Delhi Based economic think tank National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP) for a period of four years. He replaces Dr Vijay Laxman Kelkar.
Axis Bank’s Pralay Mondal to join Catholic Syrian Bank:
- Pralay Mondal, who recently resigned as executive director and head of retail banking at Axis Bank, is likely to soon join private sector lender CSB Bank (Catholic Syrian Bank) at a senior position.
Catholic Syrian Bank:
- CEO: VR. Rajendran.
JSW Cement unveils “Leader’s Choice” campaign with Sourav Ganguly and Sunil Chhetri as brand ambassadors:
- JSW Cement has brought on board former Indian cricket captain & current President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Sourav Ganguly and Captain of India’s National Football Team & Bengaluru FC, Sunil Chhetri as its brand ambassadors.
- The company is rolling out its new marketing campaign “Leader’s Choice” featuring both these sports icons on June 20th across West Bengal, Bihar and Odisha.
Nirakar Pradhan takes over as Professional Risk Managers International Association chief:
- The Professional Risk Managers’ International Association has appointed Dr Nirakar Pradhan, CFA, as the Chief Executive Officer of its new India office. Pradhan has led teams at State Bank of India.
RBI approves re-appointment of Prakash Chandra as non-exec Chairman of RBL Bank:
- Reserve Bank of India has approved the re-appointment of Prakash Chandra, Independent Director, as Non-Executive (Part-Time) Chairman of Private sector lender RBL Bank till July 23, 2021.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- MD & CEO: Vishwavir Ahuja.
India 2nd biggest driver of global energy consumption in 2019: BP Statistical Review:
- India was second biggest growth driver of primary energy consumption in the world, behind China, in 2019 even though it witnessed fall in demand in oil and coal, according to BP Statistical Review
- Global primary energy consumption growth slowed to 3 per cent last year, less than half the rate of growth in 2018 (2.8 per cent)
Veteran economist B.P.R. Vithal passes away at 93:
- Veteran economist & member of the 10th Finance Commission, IAS P.R. Vithal Baru passed away at 93 in Hyderabad. He was Secretary, Finance and Planning, government of Andhra Pradesh, from 1972 to 1982 and Deputy Chairman, State Planning Board, and Member, Tenth Finance Commission.
Veteran Journalist & Freedom Fighter Dinu Ranadive passed away at 95:
- Veteran journalist and freedom fighter Dinu Ranadive passed away at 95 in his residency in Dadar, Maharashtra due to a short illness. He was born in 1925 in Dahanu tehsil of adjoining Palghar district, Maharashtra.
Napoli beat Juventus 4-2 on penalties to win sixth Italian Cup:
- Napoli stunned Juventus 4-2 on penalties after a 0-0 draw to claim the Coppa Italia and bring their fiery coach Gennaro Gattuso the first major trophy of his managerial career.
Azerbaijan’s Shakhriyar Mamedyarov wins World Stars Sharjah Online Chess Championship 2020:
- Shakhriyar Mamedyarov of Azerbaijan beat India’s Pentala Harikrishna with a score of 5 in 10 rounds.
- World Stars Sharjah Online Chess Championship 2020 was organized by the Sharjah Cultural & Chess Club, on June 12-13, 2020.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.