Daily Current Affairs: January 30 , 2021
Daily Current Affairs (January 30, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Neglected Tropical Diseases Day- January 30
- World Neglected Tropical Diseases Day is observed on January 30 to celebrate the achievements made towards control of the world’s NTDs. 2021 celebrated the second annual day of WNTD day.
- Theme: “Face NTDs: End the Neglect.”
Martyrs’ Day (Shaheed Diwas)- January 30
- Martyrs’ Day is observed every year on January 30 to mark the death anniversary of the father of the nation Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. He was assassinated on this day in 1948. The date was chosen as it marks the assassination of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi in 1948 by Nathuram Godse.
Union Environment Minister Releases Marine Megafauna Stranding Guidelines & National Marine Turtle Action Plan
- Union Minister of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change (MoEFCC) Prakash Javadekar virtually released ‘Marine Megafauna Stranding Guidelines’ and ‘National Marine Turtle Action Plan’ in New Delhi. The documents contain ways and means to promote inter-sectoral action for conservation.
Karnataka signs MoU with Amazon India to boost e-commerce and MSME sector
- Karnataka Government signed an MoU with global e-commerce giant Amazon India to help drive e-commerce exports from the state.
- Under the MoU, Amazon will train and onboard MSMEs from the State on Amazon Global Selling, its Exports Program, enabling them to sell their unique Made in India products globally to millions of Amazon customers across 200 plus countries and territories.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
- National Park: Anshi NP, Kudremukh NP, Bandipur NP, Bannerghatta NP, Rajiv Gandhi (Nagarahole) NP.
CSIR Signs an MoU for Science & Technology led Development of Union Territory of Ladakh
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has signed MoU with Ladakh to speed up the development of Ladakh using Science & Technology(S&T) interventions.
- The MoU was signed by the Director of CSIR-IIIM Dr. D. Srinivas Reddy on behalf of CSIR and Sh. Rigzin Samplel (IAS) Commissioner Secretary Agriculture and Horticulture from Ladakh UT.
- Capital: Leh, Kargil.
- Lieutenant Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur.
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan addressed the 4th edition of the Future Investment Initiative Forum
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Harsh Vardhan virtually addressed the 4th edition of the Future Investment Initiative Forum held in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The event was held under the theme of “The Neo-Renaissance”.
- The purpose of this forum is to find solutions on how business and government can expand access to healthcare, train healthcare workers, remove regulatory barriers and encourage investment in advanced health technologies.
Maharashtra tops justice delivery in India; Uttar Pradesh worst: IJR Report
- Maharashtra ranks first in the second edition of the India Justice Report (IJR) 2020. Maharashtra retained its number one position among 18 large and mid-sized states each with a population of over one crore followed by Tamil Nadu and Telangana.
- The IJR tracked the rise and fall in each state’s structural and financial capacity to deliver justice using the latest available government figures from budgets, human resources, infrastructure, workload, and diversity across police, judiciary, prisons, and legal aid in 25 states.
- Capital: Mumbai.
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray launches Agriculture Pump Power Connection Policy 2020
- Chief Minister of Maharashtra Uddhav Thackeray formally launched the Agriculture Pump Power Connection Policy 2020. State Government has taken bold steps to make a radical change in the lives of farmers through the policy of agricultural pump power connection.
- He also inaugurated several farm-related initiatives like Solar Energy Land Bank Portal, Krishi Urja Abhiyan Policy 2020 Web Portal, ACF App developed by Power DISCOM Mahavitaran & Maha Krishi Abhiyan App.
- Capital: Mumbai.
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
Centre Approves ‘Startup India Seed Fund Scheme’
- The government has approved the ‘Start-up India Seed Fund Scheme’ (SISFS) of Rs 945-crore implemented by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DIIT).
- It aims to provide financial assistance to start-ups for product trials, market-entry, proof of concept, prototype development, and commercialization.
- The scheme will become operational from April 1, 2021, and validity of five years (2021-25).
India and Japan hold 5th joint meeting of Act East Forum in New Delhi
- India and Japan held the fifth joint meeting of the India-Japan Act East Forum in New Delhi. The meeting was co-chaired by Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla and Ambassador of Japan to India Suzuki Satoshi.
- The Act East Forum reviewed the progress of ongoing projects in the North Eastern Region of India in various areas including connectivity, hydropower, sustainable development, harnessing of water resources, and skill development.
India and World Bank sign $500 million Programme to improve quality of school education in India
- The Government of India and the World Bank signed a 500-million US dollar Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States Programme (STARS) to improve the quality and governance of school education in six Indian states.
- These include Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, and Rajasthan. Some 250 million students (between the age of six and 17) in 1.5 million schools and over 10 million teachers will benefit from the programme.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass.
India and Bangladesh hold second consular dialogue 2021 held in New Delhi
- India and Bangladesh held the second Consular Dialogue in New Delhi in which both sides reiterated their commitment to continue to work towards citizen-centric consular mechanisms.
- Sanjay Bhattacharyya, Secretary (CPV & OIA) led the Indian delegation while the delegation from Bangladesh was led by Ambassador Mashfee Binte Shams, Secretary (East), Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- President: Abdul Hamid.
India to become Fastest Growing Economy in next 2-years as per IMF; Economic Survey
- As per the Economic Survey, India is to become the Fastest Growing Economy in the next two years as per the International Monetary Fund (IMF). India is to have a Current Account Surplus of two percent of GDP in the financial year 2021, a historic high after 17 years.
India ranks 3rd in scientific publications after China and US
- Department of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science and Technology has announced that India is currently in 3rd position globally in scientific publication after China and the United States.
- India recorded the fastest average annual growth rate of publications between 2008 and 2018 with 10.73 percent. In comparison, the average annual growth rate of China and the United States are 7.81 and 0.71 percent, respectively.
Science and Technology
Microsoft launches its new engineering hub Inspired by the Taj Mahal in Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Technology giant, Microsoft launched its new India Development Centre (IDC) facility at Noida, Uttar Pradesh. The architecture of the building is inspired by the Taj Mahal. IDC NCR is the third development center of Microsoft in India after Bengaluru and Hyderabad.
Appointments and Resignations
Giuseppe Conte resigns as Italian Prime Minister
- Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has resigned from his post, after losing majority support from his coalition government over his handling of the coronavirus pandemic. Giuseppe Conte tended his resignation to the president, Sergio Mattarella.
Books and Authors
A book titled “The Law of Emergency Powers: Comparative Common Law Perspectives” released
- Justice N. V. Ramana, along with 3 other supreme court judges, Surya Kant, Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul, and Justice D. Y. Chandrachud launched a book titled, “The Law of Emergency Powers: Comparative Common Law Perspectives”.
- The book was jointly authored by Abhishek Singhvi and Khagesh Gautam. The book was published by Springer Publications.
Noted economist and social scientist Dr Shaibal Gupta passed away at 67
- Renowned Economist and the Founder of Asian Development Research Institute (ADRI) Dr. Shaibal Gupta passed away at the age of 67 in Patna, Bihar. He was also the director of the Centre for Economic Policy and Public Finance (CEPPF), set up by the government of Bihar.
Nagaland Chief Secretary Temjen Toy passed away at 57
- Nagaland Chief Secretary Temjen Toy passed away due to illness. He is a 1989 batch IAS officer. He had taken charge as Chief Secretary in March 2018.
India to host 2022 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Women’s Asian Cup
- Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has awarded the hosting rights of the 2022 Women’s Asian Cup to India for the first time since 1979. The event will be held from January 20 to February 6.
- The event will also serve as a qualification tournament for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup. Ahmedabad and Navi Mumbai are the two possible venues to hold 2022 AFC’s Women’s Football Asia Cup.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 30, 2021, now from the link given below.
Daily Current Affairs Quiz – January 30, 2021