Daily Current Affairs : January 5, 6 & 7, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 5, 6 & 7, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – January 5, 6 & 7, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Amit Shah to head group of ministers to examine the proposed National Tariff Policy
- On January 05, 2020 the minister of Home Affairs (MoHA) Shri Amit Shah has been announced to head the Group of Ministers (GOM) to discuss and examine the proposed National Tariff Policy 2016.
- Before being sent to Shri Amit Shah, the draft policy was first sent for approval to the cabinet secretariat.
- The policy if implemented, will bring a major reform in the stressed power sector but is opposed the states govts and discoms (Distribution Companies) due to clauses like penalties for load shedding.
MEA sets up new emerging and strategic technologies (NEST)
- The External affairs ministry announced the setting up of new emerging and strategic technologies (NEST) division.
- The division will work to increase investment coordination among the states of the country and also with the foreign countries.
- NEST will act as the nodal division within the ministry for issues pertaining to new and emerging technologies.
- It will help in collaboration with foreign partners in the field of 5G and artificial intelligence.
- The division will also hold responsibility for matters that involve negotiations with multilateral fora like the United Nations, G20.
WHO designated 2020 as “Year of Nurse and Midwife”
- In the honour of 200th birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the World Health Organization designated the year 2020 as the “Year of Nurse and Midwife”.
- This year, WHO is to focus on nursing and midwifery in order to achieve Universal Health Coverage.
- The organization is leading the development of “World Nursing Report” that is to be launched in 2020.
- The report is first of its kind. The year is being dedicated to the midwifery as well as WHO is also a partner of The State of the World’s Midwifery Campaign.
India gives $75 million LoC to Cuba for solar parks
- India has extended a line of credit (LoC) of USD 75 million (over Rs 500 crore) to Cuba.
- The line of credit is being provided to finance solar parks in Cuba.
- The line of credit is as per agreement signed between Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) and Banco Exterior De Cuba for installation of 75 MW Photovoltaic Solar Parks in the Republic of Cuba.
- Banco Exterior De Cuba is a nominated agency of the Government of Cuba.
Women Science Congress begins in Bengaluru
- The Women Science Congress was inaugurated at the ongoing Indian Science Congress in Bengaluru.
- DRDO Aeronautical Systems Director-General Dr Tessy Thomas who is known as Missile Woman of India graced the occasion as the Chief Guest.
- The women’s science congress aims to provide a single platform for women working in different arena of science and technology to showcase their achievements and experiences.
- It will also prepare a vision document or a road map for women in science and technology and recommend policies to enhance the role and utilize the full potential of women in science and technology.
- In this session, women are invited to share ideas and experiences to motivate younger women to actively participate in science to identify and find simpler solutions through Science and Technology.
‘Cyber Safe Women’ initiative launched by Maharashtra Govt
- Maharashtra Government has launched a ‘Cyber Safe Women’ initiative under which awareness camps will be held across all the districts of the state regarding cyber safety.
- The initiative will help in educating women about how the web is used by anti-social elements and child predators to commit various types of crimes.
Kolkata Police begins 3rd edition of ‘Sukanya’ project
- Kolkata Police has started the 3rd edition of ‘Sukanya‘ project. The project aims to provide self-defence training to girls studying in schools and colleges in the city.
- The third batch of ‘Sukanya’ started at 100 city-based schools and colleges situated in Kolkata Police jurisdiction.
- Sukanya project is an initiative of the Kolkata Police’s Community Policing Wing to provide self-defence training to girl students of city-based schools, colleges and universities.
- The initiative is funded by Women and Child Development and Social Welfare Department of the state government.
AIIMS’ Prof Suresh Chandra Sharma as first chief of NMC2
- The chief of Delhi AIIMS’ ENT head-neck surgery department, Professor Suresh Chandra Sharma, was appointed the chairman of National Medical Commission.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Sharma for a period of three years or till the age of 70 years.
- Rakesh Kumar Vats, the secretary-general in the board of governors of the Medical Council of India (MCI), has been appointed as the secretary of the Commission for the similar term.
Abhinav Kumar gets extension as BSF IG
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the proposal of Ministry of Home Affairs for extending the deputation tenure of IPS Abhinav Kumar, Inspector General, Border Security Force (BSF), up to June 27, 2021, in relaxation of IPS Tenure Policy.
Former Karnataka Governor T N Chaturvedi passes away
- Former Governor of Karnataka T N Chaturvedi passed away.
- He was the 14th Governor of Karnataka from 2002–2007.
- He also served as of Comptroller and Auditor General of India from 1984 to 1989. He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 1991.
All-rounder Irfan Pathan retires from all forms of cricket
- Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- He last played for India in October 2012. He played 29 Tests, 120 ODIs and 24 T20Is.
- He was part of the victorious Indian team at the 2007 World Twenty20 and was the man-of-the-match in the final against Pakistan.
- He made his debut at the age of 19 in 2003.
Saurabh Chaudhary wins gold at 63rd National Shooting C’ship
- Indian shooter Saurabh Chaudhary has won the men’s 10 metres air pistol gold medal at the 63rd National Shooting Championship in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- Second-placed Sarabjot Singh of Haryana, while world number two Abhishek Verma settled for bronze in a high-quality final.
- Abhishek and Sarabjot together won the team gold for Haryana. Sarabjot also won the junior men’s gold.
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh: Kamal Nath.
- Governor of Madhya Pradesh: Lal Ji Tandon.
Srikkanth & Anjum Chopra to get CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth & Anjum Chopra will be conferred with the CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth will be the recipient of 2019’s prestigious CK Nayudu Lifetime Award.
- Former India women’s captain Anjum Chopra is the co-recipient of the lifetime achievement award for the year 2019.
- Srikkanth and Anjum will be conferred with the Lifetime Achievement award by Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for their contributions to Indian cricket.
2020 observed as Year of Mobility by CISF
- CISF observes 2020 as the “Year of Mobility” for the welfare of the troops.
- It will focus on construction of residential units and implementation of welfare measures.
- Highlights In the year of 2020, the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) will aim at creating infrastructure for their families.
- It will also aim at focusing on sports and physical fitness leveraging modern gadgetry.
- It is essential to equip the forces with modern instruments as the force plays major role in the security system of the country.
- They guard civil airports, nuclear power stations, mines, thermal power stations in private domain as well.
Neutral pronoun ‘they’ voted Word of the Decade
- Neutral pronoun ‘they’ has been voted word of the decade by US language experts.
- “They” is used in English by a growing number of non-binary individuals, people who do not identify as either male or female.
- They prefer the plural neutral pronoun to bypass using the pronouns “he” or “she”.
- The selection of “they” is an indication that how a personal expression of gender identity has become an increasing part of our shared discourse.
- The recognition comes after US dictionary Merriam-Webster in December named “they” as word of the year.
- The American Dialect Society had previously named “they” word of the year in 2015.
- Other contenders in the decade category included #BlackLivesMatter, #MeToo, climate, emoji, meme, the opioid crisis and woke.
Uttar Pradesh became 1st state to shortlist migrants for citizenship
- Uttar Pradesh (UP) became the 1st state in India to conduct an exercise to shortlist migrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan for eligibility under the new Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) 2019.
- This exercise will also eventually identify the people living illegally in UP.
Chandigarh railway station is fifth in the country and first in North India to inaugurate Navigation facilities for visually impaired
- Navigation facilities for visually impaired was inaugurated in Chandigarh railway station in Punjab.
- It is fifth in the country and first in North India to have this facilities for visually impaired.
Zo Kutpui Festival organised in Mizoram
- Mizoram State Government is organising Zo Kutpui festival across 10 states in the country and also in countries such as Myanmar, US and Bangladesh.
- Highlights The first edition of the festival is to begin in the city of Vanghmun in Tripura.
- The festival will then move to other states having Mizo population.
- By conducting such as festival, the Mizoram Government is trying to unify the Mizo population in the country and also across the world.
- The event will host performances of several Mizo tribes.
ISRO launches Massive Human Space Flight Centre in Challakere, Karnataka
- ISRO proposed 2,700 crores of infrastructure plan to construct Human Space Flight Infrastructure Centre.
- The facility is to be set up at Challakere, Chitradurga district of Karnataka and is expected to become operational in three years.
Global Drosophila Conference held at Pune
- Fifth Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference was held at Pune.
- It was organized by the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research.
- The conference is held twice a year.
Banking and Technology
Indian Bank signed MoU with TN’s WEWA to provide credit for business establishments
- Indian bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Women Entrepreneurs Welfare Association (WEWA) of Tamil Nadu (TN) to provide training and credit linkage to its women entrepreneurs to establish business.
- The Indian bank will provide loans to the WEWA members at discounted rates
CSC inks pact with Paytm Payments Bank for sale of FASTags
- Common Service Centres (CSC) e-Governance Services India has signed a memorandum of understanding with Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL) for sale of FASTags.
- The agreement will facilitate the sale of PPBL FASTags through the last mile network of 3.6 lakh CSCs, helping realise the government’s vision of cashless and smooth transit at all toll plazas across the country.
- FASTags which work on Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology have been made mandatory at toll gates on national highways.
- The FASTag process allows toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it, thus doing away with the need for waiting in queues, saving time and fuel.
RevFin and PNB MetLife in tie-up to offer life cover
- India’s leading Digital lending startup, RevFin has joined hands with PNB MetLife India Insurance Company to offer protection to the RevFin’s customers by bundling life insurance cover on their loans.
- This insurance covers loans up to 3 lakh for a period of 3 years.
- The collaboration will help PNB MetLife to reach out to unbanked areas & drive greater financial inclusion in the country by securing the families of the borrowers against loan repayment in case of unfortunate death of the borrower.
IRDAI: Health insurance cover in the name ‘Arogya Sanjeevani’ mandatory for insurance companies
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has mandated all the health and General Insurance Companies(GICs) to offer 1st of its kind standardised health insurance products (SHIP) in the name “Arogya Sanjeevani” policy with effect from April 1, 2020.
- All the health products offered by those companies will be succeeded by this name.
- It is to be noted that no health insurance companies will mention any other name other than the standard name of Arogya Sanjeevani in any of the documents.
- Under the Arogya Sanjeevani plan, the minimum sum insured will be Rs. 1 lakh while the maximum sum insured limit will be Rs. 5 lakhs (in multiples of 50,000).
- The health insurance plan should be offered with a policy term of one year.Eligibility: Any person aged between 18-65
AI powered National Stock Exchange Knowledge Hub inaugurated in New Delhi
- National Stock Exchange (NSE) knowledge Hub was inaugurated.
- The hub will assist insurance, banking and financial services.
- The hub has adopted the latest technology of Artificial Intelligence.
Awards and Recognition
Indian girl Sucheta Satish wins Global Child Prodigy Award 2020
- A 13-year-old Dubai-based Indian girl Sucheta Satish has won the 100 Global Child Prodigy Award in Delhi.
- She was awarded for singing in most languages during one concert and the longest live singing concert by a child.
- Global Child Prodigy Award is a platform to showcase the talent of children in dance, music, art, writing, acting, modelling, science, sports etc.
- The award is supported by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam International Foundation and Oscar Award-winning music producer AR Rahman among others.
Aayushi Dholakia becomes Miss Teen International 2019
- Aayushi Dholakia has bagged the title of Miss Teen International 2019.
- She also bagged the titles of Best in National Costume Award and Best in Speech Award.
- Girls from 22 countries participated in the event to win the coveted title. Yessenia Garcia from Paraguay and Anicia Gaothusi from Botswana became the First and second Runners-Up respectively.
- Miss Teen International is the world’s oldest running teen pageant.
- Thu Phan from Vietnam was adjudged Miss Teen Asia, Maria Luisa Piras from Italy bagged the title of Miss Teen Europe, Anicia Gaothusi from Botswana won Miss Teen Africa and Alessandra Santos from Brazil became Miss Teen America at the event.
Indian Sports Ministry gave ‘in principle’ approval to hold shooting and archery in 2022 CWG
- Sports Ministry has given ‘in principle’ approval to hold the Commonwealth Games shooting and archery events in India.
- These events will be held under the aegis of the Commonwealth Games (CWG) Friendship Program in March 2022.
- year CWG has decided to exclude Shooting event in 2022 CWG but Indian Olympic Association (IOA) was against the decision.
- CWG 2022 Place- Birmingham, United Kingdom
- Mascot- Mistar Urdd
- Motto- Are you Game?
India’s star batsman Rohit sharma lays foundation of International cricket stadium in Hyderabad, Telangana
- India’s star batsman, Rohit Gurunath Sharma has laid the foundation of Cricket Stadium and Training Center at ‘Heartfulness Institute’s headquarters in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- The cricket stadium has been named as “Rohit Sharma Cricket stadium” by spiritual guru Kamlesh Patel.
63rd National Shooting championship competitions 2019 held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- The 63rd National Shooting Championship Competitions (NSCC) 2019 in Small Bore Rifle & Pistol events (including Para events) was held at Shooting Academy Shooting Ranges, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh (MP)
- It was jointly organized and conducted by the National Rifle Association of India(NRAI) &MP State Shooting Academy.