DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : July 21, 22 & 23, 2019
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (July 21, 22 & 23, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Haryana Govt. and BSE ink pact to facilitate MSMEs raise capital
- Government of Haryana and India’s leading Bombay stock exchange (BSE) signed a pact to encourage and support state’s micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) to raise capital.
- The tie-up will enable SMEs (Small and medium-sized enterprises) to raise funds through the platform “BSE SME”.
- The small companies can list and raise productive capital, gain visibility and credibility. Small enterprises get equity financing opportunities for their growth.
- The expansion is done in a detailed platform. The listing increase the investor base helps in getting secondary equity financing, including private placement, among others.
- The partnership creates MSMEs as major employment providing sectors in the Haryana state.
Founded: 9 July 1875
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman: Vikramajit Sen
MD & CEO: Ashishkumar Chauhan
Culture Minister inaugurated architectural illumination of Safdarjung Tomb
- Culture Minister Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated the architectural illumination of the historic Safdarjung Tomb in New Delhi.
- Around 213 technologically advanced LED lights have been used to highlight the 17th-century monument.
- The consumption of LED lights is approximately 62 percent less than conventional light fixtures.
- The highlight the archaeological magnificence of historical monuments, Archaeological Survey of India has taken up the project to illuminate the important monuments of Delhi.
- The main aim is to showcase the monuments during late evenings and enhance the experience of visitors and tourists.
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched Jan Jagrukta Abhiyaan in New Delhi
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched a special campaign named Jan Jagrukta Abhiyaan in New Delhi.
- The campaign aimed to sensitize and mobilise the community on measures for prevention and control of Vector Borne Diseases (VBDs).
- Vector-borne diseases, like Malaria, Dengue and Chikungunya, are illnesses that are caused by pathogens and parasites in human populations. It also aimed to make the community a partner for checking vector/mosquito breeding across Delhi.
- Jan Jagrukta Abhiyaan was a people movement campaign as there was active involvement of people’s representatives, officers from Government of India, Government of NCT Delhi, all three Delhi Municipal Corporations, and New Delhi Municipal Council, Railways and Cantonment board and other stakeholders.
Benjamin Netanyahu becomes the longest serving Prime Minister of Israel
- Benjamin Netanyahu became the longest serving Prime Minister of Israel. He overthrew the record set by David Ben-Gurion, Israel’s founding father and first leader.
- Netanyahu has spent 4,876 days, more than 13 years, in office as on 20 July, 2019. Netanyahu is the Israel’s youngest-ever Prime Minister has won his first election in 1996, at the age of 46.
- President: Reuven Rivlin
- Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: New shekel
Indian Navy signed a major deal worth $50 million with ISI to supply MSRAM systems
- Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has signed a major deal worth USD 50 million with Indian Navy.
- The agreement aims to supply complementary Naval Medium Range Surface-to-air missile (MRSAM) systems to the Indian Navy and the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders.
- MRSAM system is equipped with a modern ground-based multi-function 3D rotating active phased array radar.
- The radar provides high-quality Air Situation Picture (ASP) and weapon support under adverse operational and environmental conditions.
- It has an intercept range between 70-100 km. MSRAM is capable of operating at the extreme condition of -30deg C and an altitude of 3.5 km.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
ADB reduced India’s growth forecast for the current financial year to 7 per cent
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has reduced India’s growth forecast for the current financial year to 7%. Earlier, it had announced a growth estimation of 7.2%. It reported in its Asian Development Outlook 2019.
- The Manila-based multilateral institution has lowered the country’s forecast for 2019-20 from 7.6% to 7.2% in April, 2019. It cited moderate global demand and shortfall in revenue on the domestic front.
- Now, India is expected to grow by 7% in 2019 and 7.2% in 2020, slightly slower than projected in April due to the less the fiscal 2018 outturn fell short.
- It also revised India’s inflation forecast by 0.2% points to 4.1% in FY20 and 4.4% in FY21.
Rajasthan government has launched Student Police Cadet (SPC) scheme
- The Rajasthan government has launched Student Police Cadet (SPC) scheme, a Police training program, for class 8 and 9 students on July 20.
- The training aims to curb rising adolescent delinquency and strengthen teenagers mentally and physically.
- Also, it aims to make the students aware of basic laws and legal procedures. All aspects of public and personal life have been developed for the SPC training.
- The SPC training programme has been launched successfully in 930 state government schools and 70 Kendriya Vidyalayas.
- The schools that were selected for the SPC training programme would be granted Rs.1 lakh for the two-year course.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Repco MFI won award from NABARD for SHG linkage in TN for 2018-19
- Repco Micro Finance, a Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) – Micro Finance Institution (MFI) promoted by Repco Bank.
- The bank awarded for outstanding performance in terms of Self-Help Group (SHG) linkage in Tamil Nadu for 2018-19 from National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- It operates from 90 branches in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry. There is employee strength of about 600 people.
- It provided SHG loans worth Rs 3,600 crore to over 12 lakh individual beneficiaries through 60,000 SHGs.
Repco Micro Finance:
Tata becomes India’s most valuable brand for 2019 according to Brand Finance India 100 2019 report
- According to the London-based consultancy Brand Finance annual report, “Brand Finance India 100 2019”, “Tata” become India’s most valuable brand for the second straight year in 2019 the brand value of $19.6 billion.
- The followed by LIC (Life Insurance Corporation) (2nd) with $7.3 billion and Infosys (3rd) $6.5 billion. The brand value of Tata increased to 37% with $19.6 billion. It is the highest in the top 25 compared to $14.23 billion in 2018.
- TATA group’s brand present across autos, IT services, steel, and chemicals.
Brand Finance, calculates the value of brands based on the ‘royalty relief approach estimates likely future sales that are attributable to a brand based on the royalty rate. It also ranks brands based on its strength & performance with its competitors.
Founder: Jamsetji Tata
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra,
Chairman : Natarajan Chandrasekaran
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Countdown for India’s second lunar mission Chandrayaan-2 set to begin
- The countdown for India’s second lunar mission Chandrayaan-2 is set to begin this evening. The launch of the landmark mission is scheduled to be at 2.43 PM 22nd July.
- It will zoom into space on board the rocket GSLV-Mark-Three from the launch pad at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- The booster GSLV-Mark-Three having a lift-off mass of 640 tons will initially carry Chandrayaan-2 to an elliptical orbit around the earth.
- The revised timeline released by the ISRO says, Chandrayaan-2 will encircle the earth for 23 days. Gradually, it will be made to leave the earth’s sphere of influence, by staging a series of manoeuvres.
- On the thirtieth day of the launch, it will reach an orbit around the moon. For thirteen days, Chandrayaan-2 will be on a lunar bound phase.
Indian bodybuilder Ravinder Malik clinches Mr South Asia title
- Indian bodybuilder Ravinder Kumar Malik has clinched Mr South Asia title. He has crowned the overall champion at 12th South Asian Bodybuilding and Physique Sports Championship in Kathmandu.
- Malik, the winner of 80 kg category, was adjudged best bodybuilder among the winners of nine senior men’s weight categories.
- Afghanistan won team championship by securing a top position with 535 points. Host Nepal finished second with 445 points, while India remained third with 380 points.
- A total of 91 bodybuilders participated in the championship organised by South Asian Bodybuilding and Physique Sports Federation under the auspices of Nepal Bodybuilding and Fitness Association.
North Korea won Intercontinental Cup title
- North Korea triumphed in the second edition of Intercontinental Cup football. They defeated Tajikistan in the final.
- The finalists were the two lowest-ranked teams of the four-nation tournament. The other participants are India and Syria.
- India and Syria in the league stage to seal their places in the final. The Tajikistan (120) and North Korea (122) entered the game on a confident note.
- The champions got richer by USD 50000 while the runners-up received USD 25000.
President of Assembly Presidium: Choe Ryong-hae
Arjun Bhati of India won Junior World Golf Championship 2019
- Fourteen-year-old Arjun Bhati represented India at the FGC CALLAWAY Junior World Golf Championship. He bagged the first position against Taiwan’s Jeremy Chen.
- They completed the three-day final match in Palm Desert. Out of the 637 players from 40 counties they participated in the tournament. Arjun secured the first position for India.
- He scored a total of 199 strokes followed by Chen. New Zealand’s Joshua Bai second and third position with 202 and 207 strokes respectively.
- He got a second-place to five shots back entering the third round to a three-stroke victory in the boy’s 13-14 age division.
- He finished at 17-under-par for three rounds. Arjun played the best score. He is 13-18 age categories.
Former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit passes away at 81
- Veteran Congress leader and former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit will be cremated in National capital.
- Her last rites will be performed at the Nigam Bodh Ghat. She will be accorded a state funeral.
- Dikshit passed away yesterday at a private hospital in the national capital after suffering cardiac arrest.
- Prominent leaders continued to pay their respects to Sheila Dikshit. Several leaders including Prime Minister Narendra Modi and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi paid their last respects.
- Her body was kept at Congress Headquarters, where a large number of people including party leaders paid their homage.
India and China to hold an annual HiH combat exercise at Meghalaya in December 2019
- India and China plans to hold an annual “Hand-in-Hand” (HiH) combat exercise at Umroi, near Shillong, Meghalaya in December 2019.
- It will be a two-week long exercise. The planning conference for the 8th edition of the exercise will be held in the month of August 2019.
- In the exercise, India and China will be focusing on counter-terrorism operations, human assistance and disaster management.
- The countries will discuss the operationalization of the high level communications between their militaries.
- The exercise aims to manage the troop confrontations along Line of Actual Control (LAC) by implementing better CBMs, additional border personnel meeting (BPM) points and greater interaction between local commanders on the ground.
Around 7 crore 32 lakh farmer families received first two instalments of under PMKSNY scheme benefits
- Around 7 crore 32 lakh farmer families across the country received the first and second installments of 2 thousand rupees under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana. The total cost will be around 14 thousand 646 crore rupees.
- Uttar Pradesh around two crores twenty lakh farmer families topped the list followed by Andhra Pradesh. The farmers who got benefited 72 lakh and Maharastra 50 lakh farmers.
- The scheme approximately covers around 14 crore 50 lakh beneficiaries across the country subject to exclusion criteria.
Pradhan Mantri KISAN Samman Nidhi Scheme:
- This scheme is introduced by the Narendra Modi Government. The scheme got effective from 01.12.2018.
- To supplement the financial needs of the farmers and plan to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields and plan towards the diet.
The US and South Korean military exercises to be held in August despite warning from North Korea
- The 19-2 Dong Maeng (alliance) exercise, an annual military exercise between the US and South Korean military exercises, will be held in the month of August, despite the warning from North Korea.
- The announcement was made by Choi Jong-kun, the secretary for peace planning to South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
- Earlier, the United States and South Korea had suspended a large-scale exercise and it also cancelled a second exercise after the Singapore summit in June 2018.
CNSA destructed Tiangong-2, experimental space station over the Pacific
- Chinese National Space Administration (CNSA), the Chinese space agency, destroyed Tiangong-2, CNSA’s 9-tonne experimental space station Tiangong-2.
- CNSA destroyed the space station through a controlled re-entry to Earth which burned it up. Despite CNSA’s plan to burn it in the atmosphere, a small amount of the debris fell into a designated South Pacific Ocean security area.
- Tiangong-2 was China’s second experimental station. It was planted into the orbit in 2016. The mission aimed at testing China’s orbital technologies. It had completed all of its experiments.
- It was planned for two-year operational life by more than a year. Only one set of astronauts were hosted to the Station in October and November 2016. But several robotic missions have been hosted to the space station.
- Tiangong-2 was orbiting Earth 16,209 times and spent more than 1,000 days in space. In April 2018, Tiangong-1 was destroyed in an uncontrolled re-entry.
Pakistan PM Imran Khan on maiden trip to US
- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan is in the US on his maiden trip to the country during which he will hold talks with US President Donald Trump.
- Mr Khan will try to reboot bilateral ties that were hit after the US president publicly criticised Islamabad, cancelled military aid and asked it to do more to fight terrorism.
- American leadership is likely to press him to take decisive and irreversible actions against terrorist and militant groups operating from Pakistani soil and facilitate peace talks with the Taliban.
- Nawaz Sharif was the last Pakistani prime minister to visit the US on an official trip in October 2015.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
FDI inflow registered growth of 79% during last 6 years
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflow has increased during the last six years from 36.05 billion US Dollars in 2013-14 to 64.38 billion US Dollars in 2018-19, registering a growth of 79 per cent.
- Giving details about the FDI inflow, sources in the Commerce Ministry said it has been the endeavour of the government to put in place an enabling and investor-friendly FDI policy.
- The intent is to make the FDI policy more investor-friendly and remove the policy bottlenecks that have been hindering investment inflow into the country.
India’s Forex reserves fall by USD 1.113 bn to USD 428.797 bn
- India’s foreign exchange reserves declined by USD 1.113 billion to USD 428.797 billion in the week to July 12 – the first fall after four consecutive weeks of gains – due to a fall in foreign currency assets.
- According to the latest weekly RBI data, foreign currency assets, which are a major component of the overall reserves, slipped by USD 1.11 billion to USD 399.697 billion.
- The central bank said that despite on-going massive rally in gold prices, the country’s gold reserves remained unchanged at USD 24.304 billion.
- It stated that the Special drawing rights with the International Monetary Fund fell by USD 1.2 million to USD 1.450 billion.
- The country’s reserve position with the fund also declined by USD 1.5 million to USD 3.345 billion.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Rajya Sabha MP D Raja appointed as CPI General Secretary
- Rajya Sabha MP D Raja was appointed General Secretary of the Communist Party of India (CPI) on Sunday.
- The veteran leader, who replaced S Sudhakar Reddy, said the party’s fight against “retrograde” forces would continue and wants all communist parties to come together and rework strategies. .
- Raja was unanimously chosen as Reddy’s successor at a three-day meeting of the CPI National Council, the top decision-making body of the party, earlier this week.
Acharya Devvrat takes oath as new Governor of Gujarat
- In Gujarat, Shri Acharya Devvrat took the oath as a new Governor of the state today.
- Acting Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court administered the oath in presence of outgoing Governor Shri O.P. Kohli, Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, and Speaker of the state Assembly Rajendra Trivedi along with other dignitaries.
- Oath taking ceremony was held at Rajbhavan campus in Gandhinagar. Acharya Devvrat took the oath in the Sanskrit language.
- He along with his family members visited Sabarmati Gandhi Ashram soon after taking the oath.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Researchers develop an eco-friendly process to remove pollutants from water
- Researchers have developed a wastewater treatment process that uses a common agricultural by-product to effectively remove pollutants and environmental hormones, known as endocrine disruptors.
- The sewage and wastewater that are inevitably produced at any industrial worksite often contain large quantities of pollutants and environmental hormones.
- The research team utilised biochar, which is eco-friendly and made from agricultural by-products, to develop a wastewater treatment process that effectively removes pollutants and environmental hormones.
- The team used rice hulls, which are discarded during rice harvesting, to create something eco-friendly and economical, biochar.
- The surface of the biochar was coated with nano-sized manganese dioxide to create a nanocomposite. The high efficiency and low cost of the biochar-nanocomposite catalyst are based on the combination of the advantages of the biochar and manganese dioxide.
- The catalyst developed through this study makes use of a common agricultural by-product. Researchers hope that additional research on alternative substances will lead to the development of catalysts derived from various types of organic waste biomass.
Prithu Gupta of Delhi selected as Indias 64th Grandmaster
- Delhi’s Prithu Gupta becomes India’s 64th Grandmaster. He got Elo around 2500 points.
- He defeated IM Lev Yankelevich in the fifth round of the Portuguese League 2019. He received his first GM norm at the Gibraltar Masters.
- He achieved his second norm at the Biel Masters on the same year. He got the final norm at the Porticcio Open and finally achieved the required ELO points.
- Here some of the grand masters names are given below. Their ratings are given along with their names.
1. Anand Viswanathan – 2776
2. Harikrishna P – 2731
3. Vidit Santosh Gujrathi – 2723
P V Sindhu loses to Akane Yamaguchi in Indonesia Open final
- In Badminton, P V Sindhu’s hopes of breaking a seven-month title drought came crashing down as the Indian lost in straight games to Akane Yamaguchi in the finals of Indonesia Open BWF Tour Super 1000 tournament in Jakarta today.
- She lost to the Japanese 15-21 16-21 in a lop-sided summit clash that lasted 51 minutes.
- The Men’s Singles title match between Taiwan’s Tien Chen Chou and Denmark’s Anders Antonsen is underway.
Hima Das wins gold in 400m race, 5th in a month
- Indian sprinter Hima Das won a gold medal in the 400-meter race with a season-best time of 52.09 seconds at Nove Mesto in the Czech Republic.
- It was Hima’s fifth gold medal since July 2 when she ran her first competitive race in Europe.
- Hima has already won gold in 200 meters race at the Poznan Athletics Grand Prix and Kutno Athletics Meet in Poland earlier this month.
- She won her third 200 meters gold at the Kladno Athletics Meet and fourth gold at the Tabor Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic.
LJP MP Ram Chandra Paswan dies at 56
- Lok Sabha member Ram Chandra Paswan, younger brother of Union minister Ram Vilas Paswan, died at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in New Delhi on Sunday due to cardiac arrest, the family said. He was 56.
- The Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) leader passed away around 10.30 a.m. He was admitted to the hospital last week after suffering a heart attack.
Eleventh DefExpo India- 2020 to be held in Lucknow
- The 11th DefExpo India-2020 is scheduled to be held for the first time in Uttar Pradesh’s capital Lucknow.
- The main theme of the DefExpo India-2020 will be ‘India: The Emerging Defence Manufacturing Hub’ and focus will be on ‘Digital Transformation of Defence’
- DefExpo would provide a unique platform for Defence industry Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), exhibitors and to display their latest innovations and capabilities in the field.
- It is an opportunity to major foreign OEMs to collaborate with the Indian defence industry and help promote Make in India initiative.
Union Minister Piyush Goyal to launch Global Innovation Index 2019
- Minister of Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal planned to launch the Global Innovation Index (GII) on July 24.
- The theme of the event is “Evaluating the Medical Innovation Scenario of the Next Decade”.
- They will launch in the presence of the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) Director General Francis Gurry.
- The launch of GII mainly shows the innovation rankings of economies and findings for this corresponding fiscal year.
- The 12th edition of GII with 129 countries under its observation. The GII measures innovation friendly are based on the environment of global economies. There are around 80 entries.
Ukraine election: President Zelensky’s party set for big win
- President Volodymyr Zelensky looks set to be the first Ukrainian leader since the fall of communism to command an overall majority in parliament.
- Servant of the People, the party named after the TV sitcom that made him famous, has won 42.7% of the vote with more than 70% of results counted.
- The party says it is on course to win about 250 of parliament’s 450 seats.
- A decisive win for Mr Zelensky’s party will make it easier for him to push through reforms and tackle corruption.
- It will also be the best result by any party in Ukraine’s post-1991 history.
- Since he triumphed in April’s presidential poll, Mr Zelensky, 41, has been unable to appoint the ministers he wants.
Sri Lanka extends Emergency for another month
- Sri Lanka has extended by another month, the state of emergency imposed after the Easter Sunday attacks.
- This is the fourth time emergency provisions have been imposed after the attacks which killed 268 people including 45 foreigners.
- A gazette notification, issued by President Maithripala Sirisena today, announced the President is of the opinion that the extension was necessary in the interest of public security and the preservation of public order.
- The emergency was initially imposed on 22nd April, a day after the attacks and extended on two occasions.
- Government has claimed that the emergency provisions are to grant armed forces necessary powers to act against terrorist activities and doesn’t affect normal life.
COMMITTEES & RECOMMENDATIONS
Inter-Ministerial Committee recommends ban on crypto-currencies in India
- An Inter-Ministerial Committee has recommended ban on the crypto-currencies in India and imposing fines and penalties for carrying on any activities connected with it.
- The committee was constituted by the government in November 2017 to study the issues related to virtual currencies and propose specific action to be taken in this matter.
- The committee has also proposed that the Government keeps an open mind on official digital currency.
- Finance Ministry confirmed, the committee’s report, along with a Draft Bill has been received by the Government.
- It announced this report and Draft Bill will now be examined in consultation with all the concerned Departments and Regulatory Authorities, before the Government takes a final decision.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Ajay Bhadoo appointed as Joint Secretary to the President
- President of India appointed Ajay Bhadoo as Joint Secretary. Badoo, a Gujarat batch IAS officer. He is currently serving as the Vadodara Municipal Commissioner.
- He took charge of the Municipal Commissioner’s post in July 2018. The past 19 years in IAS he served in various capacities and held positions like Collector, Municipal Commissioner to the chief minister of Gujarat.
- He got the Best Collector Award twice for outstanding performance in 2008 and 2010. He was District Collector of Mehsana, Bhadoo.
- He undertook initiatives related to water conservation, digitization of land records in the district.
- He worked as CEO and Vice Chairman of Gujarat Maritime Board, Chief Executive Officer of Gujarat Infrastructure Development Board, Dholera Special Investment Regional Development Authority, Managing Director of Gujarat Industrial Corridor Corporation and Dholera International Airport Company.
Sanjeev Kumar Singla is appointed as India’s Ambassador to Israel
- Senior diplomat Sanjeev Kumar Singla is appointed as the next Indian Ambassador to Israel. The appointment was made confirmed this week by ACC.
- He is a 1997-batch Indian Foreign Service officer. He was serving as Private Secretary (PS) to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- He got appointed to this particular post in the year 2014. He will replace Pavan Kapoor who takes charge as the Ambassador to Israel.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Keshav Dutt, Prasun Banerjee chosen for Mohun Bagan Ratna
- Two-time Olympic gold medallist Keshav Dutt and former India Football Captain Prasun Banerjee will be conferred the ‘Mohun Bagan Ratna‘ during its annual day celebrations on the 29th of this month.
- Mohun Bagan will also felicitate pacer Mohammed Shami, India’s hat-trick hero of the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup, while Ashok Chatterjee will be given the Lifetime Achievement award.
- The Mariners will also give Life Memberships to Sourav Ganguly, Chuni Goswami, Dr Vece Paes, Prasenjit Chatterjee and Deb Shankar Halder.
- One of the oldest surviving hockey Olympians of the country, 94-year-old Dutt donned the national jersey in the 1948 London Games, where India won the first gold post-Independence, and the former centre halfback won his second Olympic gold in Helsinki 1952.
- This is for the first time Mohun Bagan’s executive committee has decided to confer their highest honour to a non-footballer.
- July 29 is celebrated as the ‘Mohun Bagan Day’ because on this day in 1911, the Mariners became the first club to defeat a British club, East Yorkshire Regiment, and lift the IFA Shield.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Chandrayaan-2 successfully launched; Pres, VP and PM congratulate ISRO
- The powerful booster GSLV-Mark-Three carrying Chandrayaan-2 on-board zoomed into space at 14.43 hours by puffing out thick smoke and leaving trailblazers amidst thundering sound from the second launch pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre.
- After piercing through the cloudy sky, it placed the high-stake lunar probe into the designated highly elliptical orbit around the earth in just 16 minutes and 33 seconds.
- ISRO Chairman Dr Sivan congratulated the Team ISRO for the remarkable achievement saying it is the beginning of a historic journey by the nation to the moon.
- President Ram Nath Kovind and Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu have congratulated Team ISRO on the successful launch of Chandrayaan-2 from the Sriharikota Range in Andhra Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said the launch of Chandrayaan-2 illustrates the prowess of country’s scientists and the determination of 130 crore Indians to scale new frontiers of science.
Table Tennis Championships: G Sathiyan-Archana Kamath win mixed doubles gold
- India’s G Sathiyan and Archana Kamath won the mixed doubles.
Sathiyan and Archana Kamath won 21st Commonwealth Table Tennis Championship.
- They bagged the mixed doubles title at the Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium
The 17-year-old Pang Yu En Koen of Singapore who won second. Sharath Kamal who entered in the quarterfinals.
- India got the bronze medals as Kamath and Dathiyan. They defeated Harmeet Desai and Ayhika Mukherjee in the series of 11-2, 11-2, 11-9.
Tennis: Women’s world rankings unchanged
- In Tennis, the women’s world rankings were unchanged today with Ashleigh Barty of Australia at number one.
- Japan’s Naomi Osaka is second with Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic third and Romania’s Wimbledon champion Simona Halep fourth. Kiki Bertens of the Netherlands rounds out the top five.
India A win final one-day against West Indies A to clinch series 4-1
- In Cricket, India-A defeated West Indies-A by eight wickets in the fifth and final unofficial one-day was completing a 4-1 series triumph in Antigua yesterday.
- Electing to bat first, West Indies-A were all out for 236 in 47.4 Overs. India-A made 237 for the loss of two wickets with 102 balls to spare.
Adam Peaty breaks 57 seconds barrier and100m breaststroke world record
- Britain swimmer Adam Peaty breaks the world record in the men’s 100-meter breaststroke at the World Championships in Gwangju, South Korea.
- He compensated the previous record of 57.10 seconds. This record was made by at last year’s European Championships
- He won the semi-finals in 56.88 seconds. Adam Peaty won the event 1.4 seconds faster in history.
- He is the first man to break the 57-second barrier in the event. Peaty finished with the gap of two seconds ahead of China’s Yan Zibei
- He finished the first semi-final in second place in 58.67. He got the third position with 58.83 points.
National Broadcasting day: July 23
- July 23rd is National Broadcasting day. On this day in 1927, the first ever radio broadcast in the country went on the air from the Bombay Station under a private company, the Indian Broadcasting Company.
- On 8th of June, 1936, the Indian State Broadcasting Service became All India Radio. Since 1927, radio has been an important part in people’s life in India.
- All India Radio has been serving to inform, educate and entertain the masses since its inception, truly living up to its motto – Bahujan Hitaya, Bahujan Sukhaya. Currently, AIR is one of the largest public broadcasting organisations in the world.
IAEA chief Yukiya Amano passes away
- Former Japanese diplomat and International Atomic Energy Agency Chief Yukiya Amano died at 72, the agency announced.
- Amano, who had wide experience in disarmament, non-proliferation diplomacy and nuclear energy, had been chief of the key U.N. agency that regulates nuclear issues worldwide since 2009.
- He was deeply involved in the year’s long negotiations that led to the landmark Iran nuclear deal with world powers that restricted the country’s nuclear uranium enrichment.
- As Head of the IAEA, Amano also dealt with the aftermath of the devastating 2011 Fukushima nuclear accident in Japan.
- It was not immediately clear who would succeed Amano on an interim basis.
- Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL