Daily Current Affairs: July 31, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (July 31, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Ranger Day – 31 July
- World Ranger Day is celebrated globally on 31 July every year. This day is celebrated to commemorate Rangers who have been injured or killed in their line of duty.
- The first World Ranger Day took place in 2007. The date represents the 15th anniversary of when the International Ranger Federation (IRF) was founded.
Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik launches the ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ across Odisha
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has virtually launched the ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ (ONORC) policy across Odisha to facilitate the food security scheme beneficiaries to avail subsidised food grains from ration shops in any part of India.
- Beneficiaries under the National Food Security Scheme can avail the facility at around 10,578 fair price shops in Odisha.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Festivals: Dhanu Yatra, Budi Thakurani Yatra, Magha Saptami, Chhau, Dola Purnima
- Lakes: Kanjia Lake, Chilika Lake, Ansupa Lake, Pata Lake
- Folk Dances: Chhau, Gotipua, Ghumura, Ranappa, Chaiti Ghoda, Sambalpuri
- Dams: Hirakud Dam, Indravati Dam, Rengali Dam, Jalaput Dam, Mandira Dam, Patora Dam
- National Parks: Bhitarkanika National Park, Simlipal National Park, Nandankanan Zoological Park
India’s largest 3 GWh Li-ion battery factory is set to be built in Noida
- Lohum, a lithium-ion battery maker and a battery recycling solutions company, is set to build India’s largest 3 GWh Li-ion battery manufacturing factory as well as a recycling plant in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- The total installed capacity of this integrated facility will be 3 GWh/3000 MWh Li-ion batteries per annum. More than 300 crores will be invested in this facility.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological Parks: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden
JICA signs an agreement with IIT Hyderabad for technical cooperation project ‘FRIENDSHIP’
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) has signed a Record of Discussions with the Indian Government to further strengthen its technical cooperation project ‘FRIENDSHIP’ with the Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad (IIT-H).
- The aim of the project, ‘Future Researchers at IIT-H to Enhance Network Development with Scholarship of Japan’ (FRIENDSHIP) Phase 2, is to establish a sustainable platform for academic and industrial cooperation between India and Japan at IIT-H.
Science and Technology
Indian scientists discover materials that self-repair mechanical damages
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Kolkata has collaborated with IIT Kharagpur and developed piezoelectric molecular crystals that repair themselves from mechanical damages without the need for any external intervention.
- Piezoelectric crystals are a class of materials that generate electricity when it undergoes a mechanical impact.
Vice-Admiral SN Ghormade takes charge as the new Vice-Chief of the Indian Navy
- Vice-Admiral SN Ghormade, a navigation and direction specialist, assumed charge as the new Vice-Chief of the Indian Navy. He succeeded Vice-Admiral G Ashok Kumar, who retired after 39 years of service.
- He has had extensive operational tenures onboard frontline warships of the Indian Navy that included commanding guided missile frigate INS Brahmaputra, submarine rescue vessel INS Nireekshak and minesweeper INS Alleppey.
Awards and Recognitions
Indian-origin author Sunjeev Sahota among 13 contenders in the longlist for fiction’s 2021 Booker Prize
- Indian-origin British author Sunjeev Sahota is among the 13 authors longlisted for the prestigious 2021 Booker Prize for fiction for his novel ‘China Room’, alongside Nobel laureate Kazuo Ishiguro and Pulitzer Prize winner Richard Powers.
- The 2021 longlist or “The Booker Dozen” of 13 novels was unveiled after judges evaluated 158 novels published in the UK or Ireland between 1 October 2020 and 30 September 2021.
Veteran singer Asha Bhosle was selected for the prestigious “Maharashtra Bhushan Puraskar”
- The Maharashtra Bhushan Selection Committee, chaired by Chief Minister of Maharashtra Uddhav Thackeray, unanimously selected legendary playback singer Asha Bhosle for the prestigious “Maharashtra Bhushan Puraskar 2021”.
- Maharashtra Cultural Affairs Minister Amit Deshmukh announced that the Maharashtra Bhushan Puraskar will be given to legendary playback singer Asha Bhosle for the year 2021.
Books and Authors
Novelist Kunal Basu’s new book titled “In An Ideal World” is set to be released in 2022
- A new book titled “In An Ideal World” was authored by renowned novelist Kunal Basu. This book will be published by the Penguin Random House India (PRHI) in 2022.
A new book titled ‘India Versus China: Why They Are Not Friends’ was authored by Kanti Bajpai
- Kanti Bajpai’s new book titled ‘India Versus China: Why They Are Not Friends’ was released. This book was published by Juggernaut Publications.
Former England fast bowler Mike Hendrick passed away at 72
- Former England pace bowler Mike Hendrick passed away at the age of 72. He took 26 of his 87 Test wickets against India during the 1974 and 1979 series and held the world record for most Test wickets without a five-wicket haul.
- Hendrick took 770 wickets in 267 first-class matches and 35 wickets in 22 ODIs. He was also the first professional coach of Ireland.
A 19-year-old Pakistani climber Shehroz Kashif becomes the world’s youngest person to scale K2 mountain
- A 19-year-old Pakistani climber Shehroz Kashif became the youngest person in the world to reach the summit of K2, the second-highest peak in the world, after Mount Everest.
- He achieved the feat of scaling the 8,611-metre-high peak with the aid of bottled oxygen. Before Shehroz, Muhammad Ali Sadpara was the youngest person to have climbed K2 at the age of
Turkmenistan wins first-ever Olympic medal as Polina Guryeva wins a silver medal in weightlifting
- Weightlifter Polina Guryeva won a silver medal for Turkmenistan (Central Asian nation) at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics Games. Turkmenistan has won its first-ever Olympic medal with this since its independence from the Soviet Union.
- She won the silver medal in the women’s 59 kg category in weightlifting. Taiwan’s Kuo Hsing-Chun won the gold medal in this category.
Vantika Agarwal wins the women’s national online chess title
- Vantika Agarwal of Delhi won the women’s national online chess title. She defeated Arpita Mukherjee of West Bengal. Sreeja Seshadri of Tamil Nadu took the third place.
- Tamil Nadu’s B Savitha Shri defeated Delhi’s Vantika Agarwal in the Armageddon game to become the national junior girls’ online chess champion.
Daily CA July 31 One-liner:
|1. World Ranger Day – 31 July|
|2. Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik launches the ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ across Odisha|
|3. India’s largest 3 GWh Li-ion battery factory is set to be built in Noida|
|4. JICA signs an agreement with IIT Hyderabad for technical cooperation project ‘FRIENDSHIP’|
|5. Indian scientists discover materials that self-repair mechanical damages|
|6. Vice-Admiral SN Ghormade takes charge as the new Vice-Chief of the Indian Navy|
|7. Indian-origin author Sunjeev Sahota among 13 contenders in the longlist for fiction’s 2021 Booker Prize|
|8. Veteran singer Asha Bhosle was selected for the prestigious “Maharashtra Bhushan Puraskar”|
|9. Novelist Kunal Basu’s new book titled “In An Ideal World” is set to be released in 2022|
|10. A new book titled ‘India Versus China: Why They Are Not Friends’ was authored by Kanti Bajpai|
|11. Former England fast bowler Mike Hendrick passed away at 72|
|12. A 19-year-old Pakistani climber Shehroz Kashif becomes the world’s youngest person to scale K2 mountain|
|13. Turkmenistan wins first-ever Olympic medal as Polina Guryeva wins a silver medal in weightlifting|
|14. Vantika Agarwal wins the women’s national online chess title|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of July 31, 2021, now from the link given below.