DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: JULY 7, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: JULY 7, 2018
Daily Current Affairs (July 7, 2018) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness , Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Uttar Pradesh orders ban on plastic from July 1
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has announced ban on plastic bags, cups and glasses across the state from July 15 onwards.
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announced that it would be a big movement for the protection of environment and also sought co-operation from the public.
- After Maharashtra, the Uttar Pradesh government has banned the use of several plastic products.
Governor: Ram Naik
NSG: First central paramilitary force to opt for e-ticketing
- The National Security Guard will be the first central paramilitary force to opt for e-ticketing instead of the railway warrant under an agreement signed with the IRCTC.
- A memorandum of understanding was signed between the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation and the NSG.
- This system will eliminate the need of carrying railway warrants by the NSG personnel.
Piyush Goyal launches ‘CMSMS’ and ‘Khan Prahari’ App
- Union Minister of Coal, Railways, Finance & Corporate Affairs, Piyush Goyal has launched the Coal Mine Surveillance & Management System (CMSMS) and Mobile Application ‘Khan Prahari’.
- The ‘Khan Prahari’ app has been developed by CMPDI, Ranchi, a Subsidiary of Coal India Limited (CIL) and Bhaskarcharya Institute of Space Application and Geo-informatics (BISAG).
- The CMSMS aims to report, monitor and take suitable action on unauthorised coal mining activities.
- The Khan Prahari app can be used for reporting any activity taking place related to illegal coal mining like rat hole mining, pilferage etc.
UNESCO to set up Design University in AP
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) will be setting up a ‘Design University for Gaming’ in Visakhapatnam, andhra Pradesh.
- The UNESCO delegation has entered into an agreement with Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board (APEDB) for the establishment of ‘Gaming Digital Learning Hub’.
- The Gaming Technology will be the best source of income in future and IT giants like UBSoft, Samsung, Microsoft etc are ready to establish their centres in Visakhapatnam.
Headquarters: Paris, France
Head: Audrey Azoulay
The CBIC launches ‘GST Verify’ app
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has developed a mobile app ‘GST Verify’ to protect interest of consumers.
- It is an android app to verify if the person collecting GST from the consumer is eligible to collect it or not. It also provides the details of the person/ company collecting GST.
- This app is developed by B Raghu Kiran joint commissioner GST Hyderabad, can be used all across the country.
Chairperson: Vanaja N. Sarna
Nepal, India To Jointly Promote Tourism
- Nepal and India has decided to jointly promote historically and culturally important tourism circuits like the Ramayana and Buddhist Circuit and adventure tourism.
- India will also extend all possible cooperation in the domain of human resource development in tourism and hospitality sectors through the intake of Nepali professionals in professional courses in universities and regular exchange of experts and academia.
- Both the sides also decided to establish an industry-led Indo-Nepal Tourism Forum with the support of the two governments.
Prime minister: Khadga Prasad Oli
Currency: Nepalese rupee
India To Operate ‘World’s Emptiest Airport’ In Sri Lanka
- India would operate Sri Lanka’s loss-making Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport in Hambantota.
- India would operate the airport as a Sri Lanka-India joint venture. The joint venture would see India gain a major stake of the airport. It was announced by Minister of Civil Aviation Nimal Siripala de Silva.
- Mattala airport, named after former president Mahinda Rajapaksa, was a China-supported infrastructure project in his home district of Hambantota.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
ICICI Bank mortgage portfolio crosses Rs 1.5 trillion
- ICICI Bank has announced that it has crossed the milestone of disbursing mortgage loans of over Rs 1.5 trillion.
- It aims to grow its pan-India mortgage book to Rs 2 trillion by end of FY20.
- The bank has also enabled online repository of 30,000 approved projects across 40 cities for its customers.
25 Countries In Global Banks’ ‘High Risk’ List
- China, UAE, Cyprus and significantly, Mauritius, along with 21 other countries have been tagged as “high-risk jurisdictions” by global banks acting as custodians for foreign funds which comprise the largest group of investors in the Indian stock market.
- Large investors and beneficial owners of these funds entering India through these high-risk jurisdictions will face close scrutiny
- HSBC, Deutsche Bank, Citi, Standard Chartered and JP Morgan are among the banks that compiled the list.
- Sebi-registered foreign portfolio funds invest in India through 56 countries. Of these, 25 are now considered ‘high risk’.
NASSCOM Signed MoU with NITI Ayog
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (Nasscom), India’s premier software lobby has opened a Center of Excellence (CoE) for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.
- Nasscom also signed a MoU with NITI Aayog to collaboratively foster applied research, accelerating adoption and ethics, privacy and security.
- Nasscom has partnered with Intel and IBM as its founding members and technology advisors for augmenting and accelerating the data science and artificial Intelligence ecosystem in the country.
Chairperson: Rishad Premji
Headquarters: Noida, UP
UN Member States approve USD 6.69 billion for 13 Peacekeeping Operations
- The UN member states approved a USD 6.69 billion dollar budget for 13 peacekeeping operations for the year 2018-19.
- The missions include MINUJUSTH (United Nations Mission for Justice Support in Haiti), MINURSO (Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara), MINUSCA (Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in the Central African Republic), MONUSCO (Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo) and UNIFIL (Interim Force in Lebanon).
- The United States is the biggest contributor to the United Nations, paying 22 per cent of the USD 5.4 billion core budget and 28.5 per cent of the USD 7.9 billion peacekeeping budget.
Mark Zuckerberg becomes third-richest in the world
- Facebook Inc. co-founder Mark Zuckerberg has overtaken Warren Buffett as the world’s third-richest person.
- It’s first time the 3 richest people have made their fortunes from technology.
- Buffet donated about 290 million Berkshire Hathaway Class B shares to charities, most of it to Gates’s foundation.
- Those shares are now worth more than $50 billion (about Rs. 3.44 lakh crores), according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
Vijay Srinivas appointed Director & GM of United India Insurance
- The United India Insurance Company has appointed K B Vijay Srinivas as its Director and General Manager with effect from July 1.
- Prior to taking up the new role, he was serving National Insurance Company Ltd as its Chief Marketing Officer and General Manager. He has also contributed articles in journals of insurance, tax and other subjects.
United India Insurance
CEO: Shri A.V.Girija Kumar
Narasimha Reddy appointed as CAT Chairman
- Justice L Narasimha Reddy who retired as the Chief Justice of the Patna High Court in July 2015 has been appointed the Chairman of the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT).
- The terms of his service will be governed by the provisions of the Administrative Tribunals Act (1985).
- Justice Reddy will take over from Justice Dinesh Gupta, who was appointed chairman in April this year.
Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel appointed as NGT Chairperson
- Supreme Court judge Adarsh Kumar Goel, who retired was appointed as the chairperson of National Green Tribunal.
- He has been appointed to the position for a term of five years, as per an order issued by the personnel ministry.
- The post of NGT chairperson had been lying vacant for more than 6 months after the retirement of Justice Swatanter Kumar.
- The National Green Tribunal has been established in 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010 for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources.
International Day of Cooperatives 2018 – July 7
- The International Day of Cooperatives was observed across the world on July 7, 2018.
- The 2018 Theme: Sustainable societies through cooperation.