DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : July 8 & 9, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (July 6 & 7, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Jaipur enters the UNESCO World Heritage Site list
- The walled city of Jaipur has entered into the UNESCO World Heritage Site list on last week. Jaipur is well known for its iconic architectural legacy. It has become the second city of the country to enter into the UNESCO World Heritage Site after Ahmedabad.
- The nomination of Jaipur was supported by a majority of the countries. Jaipur has been nominated by India as it has an exceptional urban example in indigenous city planning and construction in South Asia.
Indian government to introduce an Indian sovereign bond to the world
- The government has a tentative plan to introduce an Indian sovereign bond to the world. It can be used to mop up at least $10 billion, or about Rs 70,000 crore. The total sovereign debt at the end of March 2019 stood at $103.8 billion.
- It was a 3.8% of the GDP. India external debt to gross domestic product (GDP) is among the lowest globally at less than 5%. This will also have beneficial impact on demand situation for the government securities in domestic market.
- The Finance Bill showed that the net borrowing would be Rs.4.73 trillion, and the gross borrowing would be Rs.7.10 trillion. This is same as the interim budget. The bond yields climbed back.
Sri Lanka inaugurated its first model village built with Indian assistance at Ranidu Gama in Gampaha
- A model village built with the Indian assistance as part of a housing project meant for war-affected people and estate workers inaugurated in Sri Lanka. India partnered with the Ministry of Housing and Construction and Cultural Affairs to build 100 model villages.
- It consists of a total of 2,400 houses all across Sri Lanka.
- The Indian grant of Rs 1,200 million (USD 17.5 million).
- Minister of Housing and Construction and Cultural Affairs Sajith Premadasa, former President Chandrika Bandaranayke Kumaratunga and Acting High Commissioner of India Shilpak Ambule inaugurated the first model village at Ranidu Gama in Gampaha.
- These 2,400 houses are in addition to the 60,000 accommodations built.
- They are under the Indian Housing Project meant for war affected people in northern and Sri Lanka and the estate workers in the plantation areas.
Nepal’s effective measures to clean up the Mount Everest
- Nepal conducted a month-long cleaning campaign to clean the trashes in Mount Everest by collecting over 10,000 kg of rubbish from the region.
- The historical mega clean-up campaign was coordinated by government and non-government agencies of Nepal. A dedicated Sherpa team from the base camp to four higher camps collected waste from the roof of the world.
- Instead of sending solid waste to dump in the landfill site near Kathmandu, the items were segregated, processed and recycled as raw materials for various products. The collected materials were segregated in different categories like plastic, glass, iron, aluminium and textile.
- Among 10 tonnes of waste received, 2 tonnes have been recycled while the remaining eight were soil mixed with wrappers and semi-burned items, which could not be recycled.
- The authorities suggested to set up an initial processing unit in the mountain area itself, so that waste can be segregated immediately and easily managed.
World’s largest burn and plastic surgery institute inaugurated in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- World’s largest burn and plastic surgery institute named Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute. It started functioning in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- The Outpatient Department (OPD) inaugurated by the Health and Family Welfare Minister of Bangladesh Zahid Maleque.
Italy’s Prosecco hills added to UNESCO World Heritage list
- Italy’s Prosecco hills northeast of Venice cultivated for centuries added to the World Heritage list by the UN cultural Organization. The grapes produce the famous prosecco sparkling wine are grown.
- The landscape is characterized by hogback hills, ciglioni and small plots of vines on narrow grassy terraces, forests, small villages and farmland. The region became Italy’s 55th World Heritage site.
- The prosecco sparkling white has the highest classification available to Italian wine. It is produced in a territory spread over nine provinces in Italy’s northeast. The sales of the wine rose six per cent in 2018 to 460 million bottles.
- Around 75 percent were exported. The eight buildings designed by US architect Frank Lloyd Wright include the Guggenheim Museum in New York.
- Capital: Rome
- President: Sergio Mattarella
- Prime Minister: Giuseppe Conte
Iraq’s Babylon listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization’s (UNESCO) World Heritage Committee voted to list sprawling Mesopotamian metropolis of Babylon as a World Heritage Site (WHS) 30 years of lobbying efforts by Iraq.
- Iraq to have Babylon site recognised by UNESCO. The World Heritage Committee met in Baku (capital of Azerbaijan) to consider Babylon. Babylon on WHS List will encourage research and development of the site. It is a massive 10sq-km complex of which just 18% has been excavated.
- It was the Centre of ancient Babylonian empire more than 4,000 years ago. The excavation of the site began in the early 1800s. It is the largest populated city in the ancient history. It is internationally known for its hanging gardens, the Ishtar Gate and Tower of Babel.
Currency: Iraqi dinar
President: Barham Salih
BSF launched Operation Sudarshan to fortify the anti-infiltration grid along the Pakistan border
- The Border Security Force (BSF) launched Operation Sudarshan, a massive exercise, with an aim to fortify the anti-infiltration grid along the Pakistan border in Punjab and Jammu.
- The operation was launched on July 1. BSF plans to finish the operation within a fortnight and be at their bases by July 15.
- Border Security Force is one of the seven Central Armed Police Forces of India. It is the primary border defence organisation of India. It aims to ensure the security of the borders of India.
Border Security Force (BSF):
Formed on: 1 December, 1965
Headquarters: New Delhi, India
Minister responsible: Amit Shah, Minister of Home Affairs
Director General: Rajni Kant Mishr
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI board finalised Utkarsh 2022 to improve regulation and supervision
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) board has finalized Utkarsh 2022, a medium term strategy, to improve regulation and supervision, among other functions of the central bank.
- The decision was made by RBI’s board that met in New Delhi. It finalized the 3-year medium-term strategy document which covered inter-alia, its mission and vision statement.
- The board approved the RBI’s budget for the July 2019-June 2020 period. The board also discussed issues relating to currency management and payment systems.
- To implement Utkarsh 2022, RBI has formed an internal committee. It is to be headed by the outgoing Deputy Governor Viral Acharya. The committee will identify issues that needed to be addressed over the next three years.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Centre fixes price for Sovereign Gold Bonds at Rs. 3,443 per gram
- The union government fixed the price at Rs 3,443 per gram for the new series of sovereign gold bonds (SGBs).RBI decided to allow a discount of Rs 50 per gram from the issue price to those investors who apply online.
- The payment is made through digital mode. The issue price of gold bond will be Rs 3,393 per gram of gold. The Reserve Bank of India announced the calendar for issuance of SGB for the first half of the current financial year.
- The bonds issued every month from June 2019 to September 2019. The sovereign gold bond scheme launched in November 2015.
- The main objective to reduce the demand for physical gold and shift a part of the domestic savings. It is used for financial savings.
- The minimum investment in the bonds is one gram with a maximum limit of subscription of 500 gram per person per fiscal year (April-March). The maximum limit of subscription is 4 kg for an individual.
- The Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) for 20 kg for trusts and similar entities per fiscal (April-March).
Uttarakhand named among best performing states in ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ scheme
- Uttarakhand is one of the country’s five best-performing states under the National Programme Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme.
- The main aim is to address declining child sex ratio and issues of women empowerment.
- As per the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development, the recognition for its consistent performance in respect of sex ratio at birth.
- Haryana bagged three awards which include one state-level and two district-level awards for consistent performance in respect of the Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB).
- The two districts of Haryana won the awards are Bhiwani and Mahendragarh. The state felicitated in recognition of its consistent performance in respect of sex ratio at birth.
AGREEMENTS & MOU
ISRO signs contract with Glavkosmos for the selection support, medical examination and space training
- Indian Space Agency,Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), has signed a contract with Glavkosmos, a Russian company. The agreement aims for the selection support, medical examination and space training of Indian astronauts for the country’s proposed maiden manned space mission Gaganyaan.
- The signing of the contract was done by Glavkosmos’ first Deputy Director General Natalia Lokteva and S Unnikrishnan Nair, Director of Human Space Flight Centre (HSFC) of ISRO.
- Under the contract, the work will be provided with support of the Federal State Budget Organisation named Yu.A. Gagarin Research & Test Cosmonaut Training Center and Institute of Biomedical Problems of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
M Nageswar Rao appointed as Director general of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard
- The Central government appointed M Nageswar Rao, Additional Director of CBI as the Director General of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard. He will continue to hold the post till superannuation in July 2020.
- Former CBI Chief Alok Verma was also given the same post. The Supreme Court held Rao guilty of Contempt of Court for transferring the investigating officer heading the probe in Muzaffarpur.
- The government decided to remove former agency director Alok Verma and his deputy Rakesh Asthana. Mr. Rao as the appointment of Rishi Kumar Shukla as the new CBI director.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Vice President of India Venkaiah Naidu released a book titled Vivekadeepini
- Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released a book titled Vivekadeepini, a concise book of aphorisms. It was initially written by Adi Shankaracharya who is one of India’s greatest spiritual and literary geniuses.
- Vivekadeepini is a summary of Prashnottara Ratnamalika written by Adi Shankaracharya. The book has compiled a select 36 verses drawn from 67 verses of Prashnottara Ratnamalika. T
- The verses are written in Question-Answer format. It contains universal truths and is the starting point for reflection.
U.S. women’s national soccer team won the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019
- The U.S. women’s national soccer team (USWNT) won the FIFA Women’s World Cup for a record-extending fourth time on July 7 in Lyon, France. The team defeated the Netherlands and secured 2-0 to win the women’s World Cup.
- This win is a record-extending fourth time for the U.S. women’s national soccer team. The dignitaries who included FIFA’s president, Gianni Infantino, and France’s president, Emmanuel Macron presented the winners’ medal and trophy.
- The Head coach of USWNT is Jill Ellis. The captains of the team are Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe. USWNT won its first World Cup in 1991 in China.
Arinjeeta Dey won a silver medal for India in World Youth Cup 2019
- Karate girl, Arinjeeta Dey (Barasat, West Bengal) won a silver medal under the 12 category in the World Youth Cup 2019. The competition was held in Umag, Croatia (from July 1 to July 5, 2019).
- It was organized by World Karate Federation affiliated to the International Olympic Association. A total of 35 countries participated in this competition.
- He won 3 times in national championship junior level category (2017 KAI SUB Junior National gold medalist, 2018 KAI SUB Junior National gold medalist, 2019 KAI SUB Junior National Gold and Silver Medalist).
- She belongs from Barasat in West Bengal. She has been a student of Hanshi Premjit Sen. She is the president of Premjit Sen Martial Art Academy in West Bengal.
- Capital : Zagreb
- Currency: Croatian Kuna
- President: Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovit
- Prime Minister: Andrej Plenkovit
India vs New Zealand World Cup 2019 Semi-final Match: India look to set the record
- India’s World Cup 2019 semi-final match New Zealand is expected to be the semi-final match between India and New Zealand. India won seven out of their nine matches in the World Cup 2019 league stage.
- They defeated Pakistan and the West Indies. India and New Zealand involved in World Cup matches since 1975. India head coach, Ravi Shastri supports the team well.
- Incidentally, India vs New Zealand in Nottingham called off due to rain. The weatherman warned of a 50 percent chance of rain at 10 am local time chances that the start of the match may be delayed from the scheduled 10.30am local time.
- The skies are only expected to clear after 1 pm local time. The weather forecast for Wednesday is not promising as “rather extensive rain” along with generally overcast conditions, Virat Kohli’s finished top of the league table at the Cricket World Cup. Aussies will take on England in the other semi-final on July 11 at Edgbaston.
NASSCOM & NSDC launches “World Skills India”- lnternational Cloud Computing Challenge 2019
- Skills India”- International Cloud Computing Challenge 2019 from July (1st – 6th 2019) at NASSCOM Campus, New Delhi.
- The initiative is aimed at recognizing the best practices from the world in the areas of cloud computing. The challenge initiated in the presence of the minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey.
- India along with nine other countries including New Zealand, Belgium, Japan, China, South Korea, Russia, Oman and Ireland are participating in the competition.
- The finalists further taking part in the 45th World Skills Competition in Kazan, Russia which scheduled in August 2019. According to NASSCOM in the Asia-Pacific region, India secured second to China.
Telangana government has introduced the Miyawaki method of afforestation
- Telangana government has introduced the Japanese Miyawaki method of afforestation to grow urban forests and expand the green cover as well as to meet the stipulated plantation target under the Telanganaku Haritha Haaram (TKHH).
- Miyawaki is a Japanese technique introduced by Japanese botanist Akira Miyawaki, that helps build dense, native forests in a short time. Miyawaki method helps to create a forest in just 20 to 30 years, while through conventional methods takes anywhere between 200 to 300 years.
- It has revolutionised the concept of urban afforestation by turning backyards into mini-forests.This method includes planting trees, only native species, as close as possible in the same area.
- The approach ensures that plant growth is 10 times faster and the resulting plantation is 30 times denser than usual. Miyawaki method helps to create a forest in just 20 to 30 years, while through conventional methods takes anywhere between 200 to 300 years.
PM Narendra Modi unveiled statue of former PM of India Lal Bahadur Shastri at Varanasi airport
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled statue of former PM of India Lal Bahadur Shastri at Varanasi airport on 6 July. He unveiled the statue during his visit to Varanasi to launch BJP’s membership drive. PM Modi launched a tree plantation drive after unveiling the Statue.
- The second Prime Minister of Independent India was Lal Bahadur Shastri. The slogan of “Jai Jawan Jai Kisan” which means “Hail the soldier, Hail the farmer” was introduced by him.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri died on 11 January, 1966 due to heart attack. He was awarded the Bharat Ratna, the India’s highest civilian award, posthumously in 1966.
India to train 1800 Bangladeshi Civil Servants at Mussoorie
- Eighteen hundred Bangladeshi mid-career civil servants trained at the National Centre for Good Governance (NCGG) in Mussoorie. They are under training between 2019-2025.
- The first batch of 30 civil servants leaving for a two-week long training programme in Mussoorie. They are paid for a visit to the Indian High Commission in Dhaka. The Bangladeshi civil servants are trained at the National Centre for Good Governance.
- They are based on the Memorandum of Understanding signed in February. The Fifth meeting of the India-Bangladesh Joint Consultative Commission (JCC) held.
- The trainings provide an opportunity to share experiences of administration between civil servants of the two countries. The civil servants of India and Bangladesh help foster deeper ties between the two countries.
Maharashtra state government has decided to inter-link rivers to solve the crisis of drought
- The Maharashtra state government has decided to inter-link rivers to solve the crisis of drought. The Damnganga-Pinjal River linking project of Maharashtra will fulfil Mumbai’s water needs till 2060. The Detailed Project Report for this is being prepared.
- The Damanganga-Pinjal River linking project proposes to divert excess water from reservoirs in the Damanganga basin to Mumbai through the Pinjal dam, built on the Pinjal River in Vaitarna basin.
- For Mumbai this project is the long-term solution for its water needs. The project is expected to provide 909 mld water daily, Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority will provide Rs.403 crore for the Kalu dam, which will fulfil the water needs of the MMR region.
Deutsche Bank announced its exit from Global Equities and trading Business
- Deutsche Bank, the German bank, announced that it is to pull out of global equities sales and trading, scale back investment banking. It plans to reduce adjusted costs by a quarter to 17 billion euros ($19 billion) over the next several years.
- The decision of the bank will cut down 18,000 jobs for a global headcount of around 74,000 employees by 2022. The move comes after the departure of the chief Garth Ritchie by mutual agreement.
Founded on: 10 March 1870
Headquarters: Frankfurt, Germany
Chairman: Paul Achleitner
CEO: Christian Sewing
Kuwait supports India in countering terror
- Kuwait completes its two-year term as the non- permanent member in the UNSC (United Nations Security Council) played a major role at JeM chief Masood Azhar a global terrorist and in UNSC condemnation of Pulwama terror strike.
- They support India’s global ambitions including investments. In the 8543rd United Security Council meeting held on June 11, 2019. Kuwait proposed draft resolution 2474.
- Its main aim of protecting civilians that deals with the matter of persons reported missing during armed conflicts. State of Kuwait engages in the sessions of the United Nations and the Security
- Council unanimously adopted Resolution 2475 on Protection of Persons in conflicts calling up member states and parties of armed conflicts to ensure they have access to justice, basic services, and unimpeded humanitarian assistance.
- Capital: Kuwait City
- Currency: Kuwaiti dinar
Hong Kong to fund USD 900,000 for the cyclone hit Odisha
- The Hong Kong government has approved a relief fund and rehabilitation work in of over USD 900,000 for the cyclone-hit Odisha. It will benefit around 45,100 victims in Odisha.
- The fund will be used to provide hygiene kits, kitchen kits, water kits, education kits, household items, and shelter kits. The government has approved three grants totalling 7.032 million Hong Kong dollars (about USD 902,278) from Hong Kong’s Disaster Relief Fund to three agencies.
- The Indian Relief agencies have been asked to evaluation reports and audited accounts on the use of the grants. This is to ensure that the money is used for the designated purposes. The accounts will be submitted after the completion of the project.
- Hong Kong Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, is a special administrative region located in southern China.
- Chief Executive: Carrie Lam
- Chief Secretary: Matthew Cheung
- Financial Secretary: Paul Chan
- Currency: Hong Kong dollar
SUMMITS & CONFERENCE
Third edition of International Sunflower Seed and Oil Conference (lSSOC) 2019 will be held in Mumbai
- Third edition of International Sunflower Seed and Oil Conference (lSSOC) 2019 will be held in Mumbai. India planned to host the third edition of International Sunflower Seed and Oil Conference (lSSOC) 2019.
- The function will take place in Maharashtra, Mumbai. The main aim to encourage better communications among sunflower oil producers, and industry groups. The event presented by the Solvent Extractors’ Association of India (SEA).
- It is organized by International Sunflower Oil Association (ISOA). Around 300 delegates from across the world who have interests in sunflower seed, oil, and meal.
BANKING & FINANCE
Punjab & Sind Bank sets up centralised hub ‘Cen-MARG’ to process retail and MSME loans
- Punjab & Sind Bank set up a centralized hub named “Centralised MSME & Retail Group” (Cen-MARG) for processing retail and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) loans for better efficiency of branches in business acquisition. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- It will ensure qualitative improvement in credit appraisal, improved turnaround time, uniform documentation, and efficient monitoring.
- Cen-MARG linked with pan-India branches of the bank in a phased manner.
The bank is main aim to bring about much-enhanced customer satisfaction through this initiative.
- The launch of Cen-MARG and retail credit will be performed at the Cen-MARG,
They will help branches focus better on lead generation for retail lending and MSME and enhanced customer service.
- Punjab & Sind Bank:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- MD & CEO: S Harisankar
- Tag line: Where service is a way of life
YES Bank acquires 9.47% stake in Eveready Industries by invoking pledged shares
- YES Bank acquired a 9.47 % stake in dry cell battery maker, Eveready Industries India by invoking shares pledged by McLeod Russel. The acquisition comes after the Indian tea company McLeod Russel on repayment of credit facilities. McLeod’s debt is about Rs. 1,800 – 2,000 crore.
- The bank acquired 68,80,149 equity shares. They have a nominal value of Rs 5 per share constitutes around 9.47% of the post-issue. Eveready and McLeod are part of the BM Khaitan Group.
- Khaitan holds 42.93% in Eveready & McLeod Russel held 2.29%. The sources indicated the lender would be paid once the deal for a stake sale in Eveready. The Promoter holding in Eveready was at 44.11 per cent.
- According to McLeod’s auditor, Deloitte Haskins & Sells LLP, liabilities of the company exceeded assets by Rs 1,435.66 crores. The auditor raised concerns on the company’s ability to continue as a going concern.
- ICRA recently downgraded McLeod to ‘default’ or ‘D’ category from B-/A4, factoring in recent delays. Price Waterhouse & Co Chartered Accountants LLP quit as auditor in obtaining sufficient audit evidence of inter-company deposits.
- The development of a difference of opinion between the auditor and the company on the recoverability of inter-corporate deposits given to group companies and corporate guarantees given on behalf of group entities.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Tata Steel Kalinganagar included in WEF’s Global Lighthouse Network
- Tata Steel Kalinganagar (TSK) in World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Lighthouse Network a community of manufacturers showing leadership in applying Fourth Industrial Revolution technologies to drive financial and operational impact.
- TSK in Odisha’s Jajpur district is the first and the only Indian manufacturing plant to be included in the WEF’s Lighthouse Network, it said. The addition of 10 new factories including TSK to its Global Lighthouse Network carried out.
- The factors join a network of 16 existing lighthouses across multiple geographies and industries. US clears SoftBank’s $2.25 billion investment in General Motors-backed Cruise
- Amazon’s Jeff Bezos finalises divorce with $38 billion settlement. They serve as beacons to guide others to overcome challenges in upgrading systems and applying cutting-edge technologies such as artificial intelligence, big data analytics and 3D printing.
- The factories were selected based on their success in integrating these technologies to increase efficiency and drive innovation.
- Founded: 25 August 1907, Jamshedpur
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: T. V. Narendran
Ola gets green light for London taxi business
- India’s Ola Cabs received approval from London’s transport regulator to start private hire vehicles (PHV) in the capital city of the UK. It is the first-ever platform to offer both PHVs and black cabs in the UK.
- Ola UK Pvt. Ltd received a one-year carriage licence from TFL to operate “PHV vehicles” across London. It is required to apply for a licence and list their vehicle as a privately registered vehicle for hire.
- Ola would become the biggest threat to Uber in the UK, since it has raised far more capital than the rest of the app-based taxi operators. It is raised around $190 million to $280 million in funding Ola’s massive war chest of $3.8 billion.
- Ola with SoftBank Corp., Sequoia Capital, Accel, and automakers like Kia Motors and Hyundai as its investors. The company is continuing efforts to build a massive war with Uber especially in India.
Bi-cycle sharing scheme, to be introduced in Puducherry
- Conceived and prioritised under Puducherry smart city development plan, a bicycle sharing scheme, is to be introduced in Puducherry in a couple of months.
- The registered users or customers can use bicycles to hop from one place to another within the boulevard area. The bicycles can be left at any of the docking stations after use.
- For the scheme, 100 spots have been identified for cycle docking stations. To begin with, 20 docking stations with 10 to 15 cycles each, are to be set up in places like beach promenade, Bharathi Park, Gandhi Thidal, Aurobindo ashram and railway station.
AGREEMENTS & MOU
Indian Army & NeGD signed MOU to develop revamped app
- Indian Army and the National eGovernance Division (NeGD) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to develop a revamped application.
- They are the part of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY)
- They will maintain the centralised database for personnel, equipment and major stores to provide management-related information to Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Army).
- Anil Kapoor, Director General of Information Systems and M S Rao, President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), National E-governance Division signed the MOU in the presence of Shri TP Singh, Director, Bhaskaracharya Institute for Space Applications and Geo-informatics (BISAG).
- The Management Information Systems Organisation (MISO) of the Indian Army is the nodal agency. They are under the Directorate General of Information Systems (DGIS).
- The development work started at Bhaskaracharya Institute of Space Applications and Geo-lnformatics (BISAG), Gandhinagar.
Reliance Jio partners with Facebook to launch literacy drive Digital Udaan” for first-time internet users in India
- Indian mobile network operator, Reliance Jio partnered with Facebook to launch a digital literacy initiative named “Digital Udaan”.
- The main aim is to empower first-time internet users with digital literacy and understanding of the Internet in real time.
- The initiative is launched in nearly 200 different locations across 13 states.
It is expected to reach over 7,000 locations in the country.
- Through this program, it has audio-visual training in 10 regional languages
Jio will engage with its users to help them learn about features of JioPhone, apps and Internet safety, including the use of Facebook.
- Facebook is an ally in this mission to achieve 100% digital literacy in the country. At present Jio have 300 million users and it added 8 million users in April 2019.
- CEO: Mark Zuckerberg
- Headquarters: Menlo Park, California, United States.
- Founded: February 2004
Virat Kohli retains top position among batsmen in latest ICC rankings
- Team India skipper Virat Kohli has retained the top position among batsmen in the latest ICC rankings.
- His deputy Rohit Sharma bridged the gap at No. 2 following his record five World Cup tons. Pakistan’s Babar Azam has gone up to the third place. Australia opener David Warner has re-entered the top 10 at number six.
- India are ruling the roost in the ODI rankings with pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah extending his lead at the top from 21 points to 56 points after grabbing 17 wickets in the nine league matches at the World Cup.
- New Zealand’s Trent Boult remained in the second spot. Bangladesh’s Shakib Al Hasan has retained the top spot among all-rounders. In the ICC ODI Team Rankings, England remains in first position at 123 points but only ahead of India on decimal points.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.