DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jun 7 & 8, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jun 7 & 8 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Food Safety Day: June 7
- World Food Safety Day is observed on June 7. Action-oriented campaign to promote global food safety awareness and call upon countries and decision makers, the private sector, civil society, UN organizations and the general public to take action.
- The Theme “Food safety, everyone’s business”
World Ocean Day- June 8:
- In 2008, the United Nations General Assembly decided to designate 8 June as World Oceans Day. The day celebrates the role of the oceans in our everyday life and inspires action to protect the ocean and sustainably use marine resources.
- Theme: “Innovation for a sustainable ocean”
Fit India and MHRD launch special films to promote indigenous sports of India:
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and Sports Ministry have collaborated to produce a series of special films promoting 10 indigenous sports of India.
- The ‘Department of School Education and Literacy’ under MHRD has joined hands with sports ministry’s flagship programme ‘Fit India’ under the ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’
WCD Ministry constitutes task force to examine issues related to lowering Maternal Mortality Rate:
- Task force is headed by Jaya Jaitly & it will submit its report by 31st July. The task Force will examine the issues related to Infant Mortality Rate, Maternal Mortality Rate, Total Fertility Rate, Sex Ratio at Birth, Child Sex Ratio (CSR).
CSIR and Atal Innovation Mission sign a Letter of Intent to foster Innovation in India:
- CSIR & Atal Innovation Mission sign a Letter of Intent to foster Innovation. This will support world class start-ups through CSIR Incubators under AIM initiatives and jointly work on new models of innovation, including setting up of CSIR Innovation Parks.
PETA hails India’s first online waste exchange platform launched by Andhra Pradesh:
- The Indian wing of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has praised Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy for launching an online waste exchange platform which will help the authorities monitor the movement of hazardous waste real-time using the tools incorporated in the platform.
G20 pledge over $21 billion to fight COVID-19:
- Member countries of the Group of 20 pledged more than USD 21 billion to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. G20 countries injected more than USD 5 trillion into the global economy in late March to fight the virus and its economic impacts. Saudi Arabia assumed the G20 Presidency on 1 December 2019.
Banking and Economy:
SBI launches separate FI&MM vertical for agriculture and small businesses:
- State Bank of India has created a separate Financial Inclusion and Micro Market (FI&MM) vertical within the bank with an exclusive focus to provide financial services to people engaged in agriculture and allied activities and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
- The new wing will be headed by Deputy Managing Director (DMD) of the bank Sanjeev Nautiyal at the national level.
Science and Technology:
23-yer-old Maharashtra boy makes world’s first ‘Internet-controlled’ robot to help Covid-19 patients:
- Designed and created by Pratik Tirodkar, founder of a start-up PNT Solutions, Dombivali, recently, the first ‘Coro-bot’ independently dispenses food, water, beverages, medicines – and even some good advice – to Coronavirus patients without the needs for nurses, ward staff or other care-givers.
IASST develops AI-based computer diagnosis framework for accurate oral cancer diagnosis:
- Scientists of Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology, Guwahati, have developed an artificial intelligence-based algorithm as an aid to rapid diagnosis and prediction of oral squamous cell carcinoma. The study was conducted using CNN(Convolutional Neural Network).
Researchers at IIT-Hyderabad develop low-cost test kit that can detect Covid-19 within 20 minutes:
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology-Hyderabad have developed a low cost and Artificial Intelligence-based test kit for COVID-19. These kits can give results in about 20 minutes. Prof Shiv Govid Singh is the Lead researcher.
L&T board reappoints AM Naik as non-executive chairman for 3 years:
- Larsen & Toubro on Saturday said its board has given nod for reappointment of A M Naik as non-executive chairman of the company for a period of three years from October 1, 2020. Also the tenure of whole-time Director Dip Kishore Sen was extended for 3 yrs.
Karnataka Bank appoints Ramesh S as Chief Risk Officer:
- The Board of Karnataka Bank has designated Ramesh S, General Manager, in-charge of Risk Management Department, as the Chief Risk officer (CRO) of the Bank w.e.f. 06 June 020, in place of Prakash Kumar.
- Headquarters: Mangalore.
- MD & CEO: Mahabaleshwara M S.
IIFL Finance signs Rohit Sharma as its first-ever brand ambassador:
- Non-Banking finance company IIFL Finance has signed up India’s superstar cricketer Rohit Sharma as its first-ever brand ambassador.
- R Venkataraman, Managing Director and Co-Promoter, IIFL Group said, “We are glad to announce India’s leading batsman, Rohit Sharma, as IIFL’s brand ambassador.
Sharad Mathur is the new MD and CEO of Universal Sompo General Insurance:
- Universal Sompo, a joint venture between Indian Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Karnataka Bank, Dabur Investments Corporation & Sompo Japan Insurance has appointed Sharad Mathur as Managing Director & CEO. Sharad was associated with SBI General Insurance.
Tamil Nadu: 13 year old Madurai girl appointed Goodwill Ambassador of UNADAP
- Tamil Nadu, a thirteen-year old Madurai girl Nethra has been appointed the Goodwill Ambassador of the United Nations Association for Development and Peace, the UNADAP. It was in recognition of her role in feeding the poor during the COVID-19 lockdown by her father, a hairdresser by profession.
Awards and Recognitions:
Javed Akhtar becomes only Indian to win prestigious Richard Dawkins award:
- Lyricist Javed Akhtar becomes only Indian to win prestigious Richard Dawkins award. He is an English ethologist, evolutionary biologist & author.
- The Richard Dawkins Award is bestowed upon individuals who ‘publicly proclaim the values of secularism, rationalism, upholding scientific truth’, since 2003.
Hyderabad airport receives ACI Asia-Pacific Green Airports Platinum Recognition 2020:
- Hyderabad International Airport received the highest Platinum Recognition in the Airports Council International (ACI) Asia-Pacific Green Airports Recognition 2020 in the 15-35 Million Passengers Per Annum (MPPA) category for its efficient water management practices.
- A statement here said on Friday that on the World Environment Day, ACI Asia-Pacific has announced the results of the region’s Annual Green Airports Recognition 2020.
India secured 168th rank in the 12th edition of EPI Index:
- India secured 168th rank in the 12th edition of the biennial Environment Performance Index (EPI Index 2020)- that measured the environmental performance of 180 countries- and was released by the Yale University on June 4, 2020. India scored 6 out of 100.
Senior BJP leader Chandrakanta Goyal died in Mumbai:
- Senior BJP leader Chandrakanta Goyal, mother of Railway Minister Piyush Goyal, died at her residence in Mumbai due to old age. She was 88. She represented the BJP from the Matunga Assembly constituency in Mumbai for three terms.
Former governor and Delhi ex-top cop Ved Marwah dies at 87:
- Former Governor of Mizoram, Manipur, and Jharkhand, Ved Marwah, who had also served as the Delhi Police Commissioner in the 1980s, died in Goa. He had also penned a book- ‘Uncivil Wars: Pathology of Terrorism in India’.
Former India footballer Hamza Koya died of COVID-19 in Kerala:
- Former Indian footballer Hamza Koya has died of COVID-19 in Kerala. He was a former football player who represented Maharashtra at the Santhosh Trophy & also an India team member in Nehru trophy. He also played for Mohan Bagan & Mohammedan Sports Clubs.
World Archery Field Championships postponed to 2022:
- 2020 World Archery Field Championships in Yankton, USA, have been postponed until 2022 which was due to take place in September this year at the NFAA Easton Yankton Archery Centre, the world’s largest dedicated archery facility.
World Archery Federation:
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.