DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : June 1, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (June 1, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Rajasthan government banned e cigarettes in the State
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot announced the banned on the sale of e-cigarettes in Rajasthan.
- Gehlot issued the order on the occasion of World No Tobacco Day on May 31.
The government had banned the online or offline sale, storage, production, distribution, and advertisement of e-cigarettes in the state.
- The CM said that the ban follows his party’s manifesto to discourage the youth from addiction.
Tenth National Science Film Festival of India to be held in Agartala, Tripura in 2020
- 10th National Science Film Festival of India(NSFFl) will be in Agartala, Tripura in January-February 2020. This is for the second time the event will be held in a North-Eastern city.
- It will be jointly hosted by Vigyan Prasar of the Central Government, State Government, and Tripura Central University. Chief Minister of the State Biplab Kumar Deb had requested the Union Science and Technology Ministerto hold the NSFF in Tripura.
- Minimum 1 0 countries will participate in the upcoming event and it will include the films produced by UNICEF, UNESCO and filmmakers from different countries.
In NSFFI, the maximum length of the films will be 40 minutes and Vigyan Prasar will raise awareness on science and environment to the society through cinemas.
Kappaphycus alvarezii seaweed spreads to coral reef areas in Valai island in GoM
- The invasive Kappaphycus alvarezii seaweed, which smothers and kills coral reefs, has spread its wings to coral reef areas in Valai island in the Gulf of Mannar (GoM) and set to invade new coral colonies in the marine national park.
- Macrofaunal and fish density decreased when Kappaphycus cover increased.
- After invading Shingle, Kurusadai and Mulli islands in Mandapam cluster of the GoM, the red algae invaded Valai island along Kilakarai coast following its cultivation in south Palk Bay.
Tribal Odisha’s woman Chandrani Murmu of BJD became the youngest MP in the country and her debut in Parliament
- A tribal woman from Odisha, Chandrani Murmu aged 25 of Biju Janata Dal (BID) party became the youngest MP in the country.
- She defeated the two-time BJP MP Ananta Nayak by a margin of 66,203 votes and claimed the Keonjhar constituency, Odisha. She replaced Dushyant Chautala who was elected at the age of 26 from the Hisar Lok Sabha seat in 2014.
- She defeated the two-time BJP MP Ananta Nayak by a margin of 66,203 votes and claimed the Keonjhar constituency with her victory. She became the youngest MP in India’s history
- After spending her childhood in the Tikargumura village of Odisha, Chandrani Murmu completed her Bachelors in Technology from the Siksha O Anusandhan University in Bhubaneswar in 2017.
SWIFT India and South Asia Conference was held in Mumbai
- The SWIFT India and South Asia Conference held at the St Regis Mumbai.
- The conference saw the participation of 500 delegates representing financial institutions, regulators, market infrastructure experts, multinational corporations, and other industry professionals, to discuss the most pertinent issues concerning the nation’s financial market.
- The theme of the conference was “Digitisation in transition: The future of innovation and cyber security.
About SWIFT India:
- It is the local unit of SWIFT global that facilitates international payments functions for banks.
- Chairman – Mrs. Arundhati Bhattacharya
Environment Ministry launched a song Hawa Aane De to spread awareness about Air pollution
- World Environment Day Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched a theme song ‘Hawa Aane De’ on air pollution.
- The song was launched in the national capital.
- The main aim is to spread awareness regarding protecting the environment. Secretary of Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched the song in the presence of actor Shekhar Suman and singer Shaan.
World Environment Day is celebrated on June 05.
About “Hawa Aane De” Song:
- It has been produced by MoEFCC, in collaboration with Bhamla Foundation, Mumbai, as the theme song for WED 2019.
- It is written by Swanand Kirkire. It is sung by Shantanu Mukherjee, Kapil Sharma, Sunidhi Chauhan and Shankar Mahadevan.
- The film has been directed by Romanchak Arora.
A new species of wasp from the genus Kudakrumia was found in Goa
- Scientists have recently identified a new species of wasp from the genusKudakrumia in Goa. The wasp, Kudakrumia rangnekari, has been named after Goa-based researcher Parag Rangnekar.
- It belongs to genus Kudakrumia. The Kudakrumia is a genus of primitive wasps that is described and previously known only from Sri Lanka.
- The new species was collected Cotigao Wildlife sanctuary. The Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary is located in South Goa district, of Goa. The sanctuary was established in 1968.
The World’s smallest baby, weighing 245 grams survives
- A US hospital revealed the birth of a baby girl named ‘Saybie’ and said she’s believed to be the world’s smallest surviving baby, who weighed 245 grams at birth.
- Born at 23 weeks and three days in December, she was in neonatal intensive care unit for five months. Initially, doctors said she would survive for only an hour.
- Saybie’s ranking as the world’s smallest baby ever to survive is according to the Tiniest Baby registry maintained by the University of Iowa. Saybie had the lowest birth weight of those submitted to the registry.
WHO says being transgender is not a mental disorder but a sexual health condition
- The World Health Organization (WHO) will no longer categorise being transgender as a “mental disorder”. According to the newly-revised version of the International Classification of Diseases (known as ICD-11),published by the WHO, “gender identity disorders” have been reframed as “gender incongruence.”
- Gender incongruence has now been listed under sexual health conditions.
- The change was brought in after a major resolution to amend the WHO health guidelines were approved earlier this week on May 25.
BANKING & FINANCE
Reserve Bank of India permitted Banks to use Aadhaar only for DBT accounts for KYC requirements
- Reserve Bank of India(RBl) permitted banks to accept Aadhaar number(Offline verification) for Know Your Customer(KYC) verification with the consent of the customers.
- RBI has added the ‘Proof of possession of Aadhaar number’ to the list of Officially Valid Documents (OVD).
- This was notified by the RBI in its amended Master Direction on KYC. RBI’s Master Direction is a rule book that the regulated entities need to follow.
- The bank should obtain the Aadhaar number from the customers who receive any benefit or subsidy under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
About Reserve Bank Of India:
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: BP Kanungo, N S Vishwanathan, Viral Acharya and Mahesh Kumar Jai
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
FICCI survey predicted GDP growth of India at 7.1% for FY20
- FICCI’s (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry) economic outlook survey projected India’s median GDP (Gross Domestic Product) 7.1% for FY20 and 7.2% for FY21.
- The survey was conducted among economists belonging to the industry, banking and financial services sectors. of Survey for 2019-20:
- Minimum and maximum growth estimate stood at 6.8 per cent and 7.3 per cent. Wholesale Price Index (WPI) based inflation rate is projected at 3.1% in 2019-20 with a minimum and maximum range of 2.1 per cent and 4 per cent, respectively.
- Consumer Price Index (CPI) based inflation forecasted at 4% for 2019-20 with a minimum and maximum range of 3.5 per cent and 4.1 per cent, respectively.
- The median growth forecast for agriculture and allied activities was pegged at 3%.
- Founded: 1927
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Founders: Ghanshyam Das Birla, Purshottamdas Thakurdas
- President: Sandip Somany
India’s FDI equity inflows declined for the first time in 6 years
- India’s Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) equity inflows declined for the first time in six years in 2018-19.
- Data released by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion and internal trade showed FDI equity inflows into Indiadeclined 1% to $44.4 billion in the year to 31 March. The decline signals a squeeze in long-term foreign investment into the country.
- The two sectors where FDI inflows dropped the most are telecommunications (fell 57% to $2.7 billion) and pharmaceuticals (dropped 74% to $266 million). Singapore dislodged Mauritius as a top source of FDI, accounting for $16.22 billion inflows.
Honda Motorcycle partnered with IDFC First Bank for retail financing
- Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI) partnered with IDFC FIRST Bank to provide financing solutions for vehicles across the country.
- The Memorandum of Understanding(MJ) was signed for the loan facility up to 100% of vehicle cost, zero processing fee, down payment of Rs.999 and extended loan tenure of 48 months offered to two-wheeler customers.
- This will lead to extra savings of Rs 5,000 on an average loan.
About IDFC FIRST Bank:
- IDFC stands for Infrastructure Development Finance Company
- It was founded by the merger of Capital First and IDFC Bank in December 201
- Headquarters: Mumbai Managing Director & CEO: V. Vaidyanathan
- Parent Organization: Honda Motor Company
- Headquarters: Gurgaon, Haryana
- CEO: Minoru Kato
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Supreme Court extended the term of Justice VKJain as Judicial Member Of NCDRC
- Supreme Court extended the term of Justice V K Jain as Judicial Member of the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC).
- His term was supposed to expire on May 29, 2019. The decision on the extension of term was given by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Aniruddha Bose.
- Justice Jain’s tenure is extended for 1 year or till the process of fresh appointment is completed, whichever is earlier.
- He was appointed as a judge of the Delhi High Court on May 14, 2009. iv. He was appointed as a judicial member of the NCDRC on May 30, 2014.
About Supreme Court:
- Founded: 1950
- Motto: Yato Dharmastato Jayah [Where there is righteousness (dharma), there is victory (jayah)]
- Chief Justice of India: Ranjan Gogoi
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
For the first time in 92 years, 6 Indian-origin kids among 8 won the National Spelling Bee Contest
For the first time in 92 years, 6 Indian-origin kids were among the 8 who won the 92nd Scripps National Spelling Bee Contest. They were awarded the cash of $50,000 and prizes.
The competition, broadcasted in ESPN, was held at Gaylord National Resort in National Harbor, Maryland, US.
Erin Howard aged 14 of Alabama, Rishik Gandhasri aged 13 of California, Saketh Sundar aged 13 of Maryland, Shruthika Padhy aged 13 of New Jersey, Sohum Sukhatankar aged 13 of Texas, Abhijay Kodali aged 12 of Texas, Christopher Serrao aged 13 of New Jersey and Rohan Raja aged 13 of Texas were the winners of the competition.
AGREEMENTS & MOU
ISRO partnered with IAF for Gangayaan astronaut selection, training
- The Indian Air Force (IAF)has signed an agreement with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for crew selection and training for the prestigious Gangayaan, the country’s maiden manned mission.
- AVM RGK Kapoor, ACAS Ops (Space), IAF handed over the MoU to Shri R Hutton, Project Director of Gaganyaan Programme.
- Gaganyaan (“Sky Craft”) is an Indian crewed orbital spacecraft intended to be the basis of theIndian Human Spaceflight Programme.
- Gaganyaan was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2018. The mission worth Rs. 10,000 crore.
- The Programme is aimed to be launched by December 2021. It was approved by the Union Cabinet in 2018.
- In its maiden crewed mission, ISRO’s largely autonomous 3.7-tonne capsule will orbit the Earth at 400 km (250 mi) altitude for up to seven days with a three-person crew on board.
IIT Guwahati signs MoU with ISRO to set up space technology
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati signed an MoU with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to set up an IITG-ISRO Space Technology Cell (STC) at the institute where Assam Governor Jagdish Mukhi inaugurated a new academic complex and research and development building.
- IITG-ISRO STC would be first of its kind in the North-east region to augment research and capacity building processes in the field of space technology.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Facebook plans to launch its cryptocurrency, GlobalCoin, by the first quarter of 2020
Facebook plans to launch its cryptocurrency by the first quarter of 2020. The company is expected to reveal more details about the currency before testing begins later in 2019.
The currency, which is being referred to internally as “GlobalCoin,” will reportedly be available in around a dozen countries at launch, where it’s expected to offer people affordable and secure payments without the need for a bank account.
The currency will need to overcome numerous technical and regulatory hurdles before it can be launched. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg met with the Bank of England’s governor Mark Carney to discuss the opportunities and risks of the planned digital currency.
What is a Cryptocurrency
A cryptocurrency is a digital or virtual currency that uses cryptography for security. A cryptocurrency is difficult to counterfeit because of this security feature. It is not issued by any central authority, rendering it theoretically immune to government interference or manipulation.
World Milk Day is observed on 1 June
- World Milk Day is a day established by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations to recognize theimportance of milk as a global food. It has been observed on June 1 each year since 2001.
- The day is intended to provide an opportunity to bring attention to activities that are connected with the dairy sector.
Milk day in India:
- The World Milk Day event does not follow a specific theme in the world. Different countries, governments, and non-governmental organisations decide their own theme.
- The theme for World Milk Day 2019 in India is “Drink Milk: Today & Everyday”.
- Various campaigns are organised in India at the Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Izatnagar, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh and focuses on safe, hygiene milk production and consumption.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL