DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 11, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (March 11, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
14th CII-EXIM Bank Conclave on India-Africa Project Partnerships to be held in New Delhi on March 17 – 19:
- Ministry of Commerce & Industry will be organizing the 14th CII-EXIM Bank Conclave on India-Africa Project Partnerships, in association with Confederation of Indian Industry and EXIM Bank of India in New Delhi.
- Scaling up India-Africa bilateral trade volume to USD 150 billion in the next few years.
- Enabling geographical and product diversification of Indian exports to Africa.
- Enhancing manufacturing exports of Africa by optimal utilization of Duty-Free Tariff Preference scheme and capacity building support from India.
Liquor Prohibition Bill approved by Mizoram Cabinet:
- The Mizoram Cabinet has approved the proposed liquor prohibition bill in the state.
- The Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Zoramthanga has approved the Mizoram Liquor Prohibition Bill, 2019.
- The bill would be introduced in the state Assembly during the Budget session starting from March 20.
- Capital: Aizawl
- Chief Minister: Zoramthanga
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
Government succeeds in achieving the target of 87 percent of 8 crores free LPG connections:
- The government Friday gave out the 7-crores free cooking gas (LPG) connection as the scheme to make available cleaner fuel in every household kitchen runs ahead of schedule.
- PMUY was launched on May 1, 2016, with a target to give 5 crore connections to women member of poor households by March 2019. The target was later raised to 8 crore connections by 2021 and now envisages giving all households a connection.
- The maximum 1.26 crore connections have been released in Uttar Pradesh followed by 78 lakh in West Bengal and 77.51 lakh in Bihar. As many as 63.31 lakh connections have been released in Madhya Pradesh and 55.34 lakh in Rajasthan.
PM Modi and Bangladeshi PM Sheikh Hasina jointly inaugurate four projects:
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her Indian counterpart Narendra Modi will jointly inaugurate four projects in Bangladesh, including the supply of 1,100 buses and trucks to Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation (BRTC).
- They will inaugurate 36 community clinics in Jamalpur, Sherpur, Habiganj, Sunamganj and Brahmanbaria under grant financing of the government of India.
- The sources added that the two other schemes to be opened by them are 11 water treatment plants in Bhandaria municipality of Pirojpur district under grant financing of the government of India, and the National Knowledge Network (NKN) extension to Bangladesh under an NKN extension to SAARC nations.
World’s oldest person confirmed as 116-year-old Kane Tanaka from Japan:
- Kane Tanaka from Fukuoka, Japan, has been officially confirmed as the oldest person living at 116 years 66 days old as of 9 March 2019.
- The supercentenarian was confirmed as the oldest person alive on 30 January 2019 (when she was 116 years 28 days) and was presented with her certificates for that Guinness Record and oldest woman living in a ceremony at her home.
- Kane was born prematurely on 2 January 1903, the same year the Wright brothers became the first to achieve powered flight.
3-member mediation panel created by SC to settle Ram Mandir-Babri Masjid Case:
- The Supreme Court has ordered a court-monitored mediation in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land dispute case to arrive at a “permanent solution” to the politically and religiously sensitive issue.
- The five-judge constitution bench appointed a panel of 3 mediators in the title suit with Retired Justice Ibrahim Kalifullah chairing the court-appointed and monitored mediation process. The other two members are spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and senior advocate Sriram Panchu.
BANKING & BUSINESS
IBBI inks cooperation with International Finance Corporation (IFC):
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has signed a Cooperation Agreement with the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group (WBG).
- The agreement will enable IFC to assist IBBI to further build the capacity of insolvency professionals, and insolvency professional agencies for the purposes of the Code.
- The Cooperation Agreement envisages technical assistance up to June 30, 2021, by the IFC to IBBI.
Korea Exim Bank extends loan worth Rs. 4,100 crores for Vizag Metro:
- Korea Exim Bank has come forward to extend a 4,100 crore loan for Visakhapatnam Metro Rail project.
- A team of officials from the Korea EXIM bank, led by Director (Operations) Yang Dong Chloe, discussed the issue with Andhra Pradesh Chief Secretary C. Punetha and Amaravati Metro Rail Corporation Limited (AMRCL) Managing Director N.P. Ramakrishna Reddy in Amaravati.
- The Vizag metro rail is expected to be established at an estimated cost of 8300 crore, built across three corridors extending over 42 km. The first corridor is likely to be laid from Gajuwaka to Kommadi while the other two are likely to be set up along the routes of Gurudwara-Old Post Office and Thatichetlapalem-Chinna Waltair respectively.
SBI links savings account, short-term loan interest rates to RBI repo rate:
- SBI savings account rates and the interest rate on a few loans will now change as and when RBI changes its repo rate.
- State Bank of India (SBI) has linked its interest rate on savings account with a balance above 1 lakh and short-term loans to Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) repo rate, effective 1 May 2019.
CII released ‘Suggested Election Manifesto’ for political parties:
- Industry lobby CII has released a ‘Suggested Election Manifesto’ for political parties to achieve an average growth rate of 8 percent per annum in the next five years.
- The CII suggested manifesto envisages a continued high pace of reforms, enabling India to take a lead in a world of multiple transformations in the global and technological environment.
REPORTS/ RANKING BY VARIOUS ORGANISATIONS
India, ASEAN clock fastest growth for e-commerce, digital trade sectors: FICCI – KPMG
- India and 10-member ASEAN are among the fastest growing economies in the world with even faster growth rates for e-commerce and digital trade sectors, according to a new report by industry body FICCI and consulting major KPMG.
- By 2021, global e-commerce sales are expected to reach 4.5 trillion dollars, up from 1.3 trillion dollars in 2014.
- The e-commerce market in India is estimated to reach 5 billion dollars by 2025 while the ASEAN is estimated to reach a volume of 90 billion dollars, said the report titled ‘India and ASEAN: Co-creating the Future’.
India’s Data Usage to Grow at 73% CAGR by 2022: ASSOCHAM – PwC Study
- India’s data consumption is expected to grow at a Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of about 72.6 percent to 10,96,58,793 million MB by 2022, according to the ASSOCHAM-PwC study.
- The average monthly spends on voice services in 2013 was Rs.214 compared to Rs 173 spent on data. In 2016, the spend on voice fell to Rs.124, while data spend rose to Rs.225, according to the report.
Total Government liabilities rise to Rs.83.40 lakh crore in Q3: FinMin Report
- Total liabilities of the government increased to 83.40 lakh crore at the end of the December 2018 quarter from Rs.82.03 lakh crore in the previous quarter of the current fiscal.
- Public debt accounted for 5 per cent of total outstanding liabilities at the end of December 2018 with internal debt accounting for 83.3 per cent share.
Anup Kumar Dubey, Sushil Kumar appointed special directors in ED:
- Senior bureaucrats Anup Kumar Dubey and Sushil Kumar were appointed special directors in the Enforcement Directorate (ED), according to a Personnel Ministry order.
- Both Dubey and Kumar are the Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax) officers.
- Dubey has been appointed as Special Director, ED in Delhi and Kumar in Chennai.
Abbas Picks Loyalist Mohammed Shtayyeh as Palestinian Prime Minister:
- Economist Mohammed Shtayyeh, a member of the West Bank’s dominant Fatah party, was named Palestinian prime minister.
- The appointment was announced six weeks after Rami al-Hamdallah tendered his resignation from the post and the resignation of his unity government to President Mahmoud Abbas.
5 Indians appointed as members of technical committees of Asian Gymnastic Union:
- Five Indians have been appointed as members of various Technical Committees of Asian Gymnastics Union for a four-year term from 2019 to 2022.
- The five Indians are Deepak Kabra (Men’s Artistic Gymnastics), Akshata Shete (Rhythmic Gymnastics), Makarand Joshi (Aerobic Gymnastics), Sumith MR (Acrobatic Gymnastics) and Narayan Shashi (Gymnastics for All).
Ashu Khullar to succeed Pramit Jhaveri as Citi India boss:
- Citi veteran Ashu Khullar will replace Pramit Jhaveri as CEO of the India business from April 1.
- The Reserve Bank of India has to approve the appointment.
Manpreet Vohra appointed as the next India’s Ambassador to Mexico:
- Shri Manpreet Vohra (IFS:1988), presently Additional Secretary in the Ministry has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Mexico.
S. Mubarak appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of El Salvador:
- Shri B. S. Mubarak, (IFS:2001) presently Ambassador of India to the Republic of Guatemala, has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of El Salvador, with residence in Guatemala City.
India appoints Kishan Dan Dewal as the new ambassador to Armenia:
- Shri Kishan Dan Dewal (IFS:2003), presently Deputy High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Mauritius, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Armenia.
AWARDS & HONOURS
President Kovind confers Padma awards 2019:
- President Ram Nath Kovind has conferred the Padma awards 2019 on prominent personalities at a civil investiture ceremony in Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Padma Bhushan Awards 2019
|Pravin Gordhan||South African Politician|
|John Chambers||Former Cisco Head|
|Hukumdev Narayan Yadav, Kariya Munda, and Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa||Parliamentarians|
|Kuldip Nayar||Journalist (late)|
Padma Shri Awards 2019
|Harika Dronavalli||Chess player|
|Sharat Kamal||Table Tennis player|
|Bhagirati Devi and Muktaben Dagli||Social Workers|
|Shankar Mahadevan||Music Director|
|S Jaishankar||Former civil servant|
|Rajkumari Devi and Babaulal Dahiya||Agriculturist|
Acko Awarded the Coveted Golden Peacock Award for Innovative Product:
- ACKO General Insurance a new-age digital insurance company, was awarded the coveted Golden Peacock Innovative Product Award – 2019, for their contextual micro insurance product – “Ola Ride Insurance”.
- The award was presented to Biresh Giri, Appointed Actuary & CRO, Acko in the presence of global business leaders at the recently held event in Dubai.
Chameli Devi Jain Award won by BBC Journalist Priyanka Dubey:
- Priyanka Dubey, a bilingual correspondent with the BBC at its Delhi bureau, has been named for the Chameli Devi Jain Award for an Outstanding Woman Journalist for the year 2018.
India claims the First Prize at The International ‘Golden City Gate Tourism Awards 2019’ in the category of ‘TV Cinema Spot’ at ITB, Berlin:
- The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India has won the First Prize in the category of TV Cinema Spot at the prestigious international Golden City Gate Tourism Awards 2019. The awards were received by Shri Yogendra Tripathi, Secretary, Tourism at ITB, Berlin.
Following promotional films/television commercials produced by the Ministry as part of its Incredible India 2.0 Campaign received the awards:
- Yogi of the Racetrack
- The Reincarnation of Mr. and Mrs. Jones
- Sanctuary in Paris
- Maharani of Manhattan and
- The Masala Master Chef
Maneka Gandhi felicitated the 30 winners of the ‘Web Wonder Women’ contest:
- The Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Maneka Gandhi, felicitated the 30 winners of the ‘Web Wonder Women’ contest organized by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in New Delhi.
About Web Wonder Women:
- Organised in collaboration with Twitter India and Breakthrough India, the event is aimed to recognise the fortitude of Indian women stalwarts from across the globe who have used the power of social media to run positive campaigns to bring a change in the society.
One gold, four silver medals for India at Finland Boxing Tournament:
- India won one Gold and four Silver medals at the 38th GeeBee Boxing Tournament in Helsinki, Finland.
Here the Winners List:
|Kavinder Singh Bisht||56kg||Gold|
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.