DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 14, 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 14, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (March 14, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
‘Sirsi Supari’ areca nut from Uttara Kannada district gets GI tag :
- Arecanut, known as supari or betel nut, made its entry in the list of agricultural produce for the first time with the Geographical Indication (GI) tag for ‘Sirsi Supari’.
- The GI tag was accorded by the Registrar of Geographical Indications in the first week of March 2019.
- Sirsi-based agri cooperative, Totagars’ Cooperative Sale Society (TSS) Ltd is the registered proprietor of the Sirsi Supari. The cooperative began the process of obtaining a GI tag for Sirsi Supari in 2013.
The 34th edition of Aahar – the International Food and Hospitality Fair begins in New Delhi :
- The Five day long, 34th edition of Aahar- the International Food and Hospitality Fair which is organized by India Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO) begins in New Delhi.
- Participants from China, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Indonesia, Japan, Russia, Spain, USA and UK are participating in the event.
- The Food fair features Food Products, Hospitality and decor solutions, confectionery items, Food beverages equipment and machinery from more than 560 National and International Participants.
U.S. spl Ops Forces hold exercise with NSG in Hyderabad :
- The United States Special Forces Group stationed in Japan is involved in a joint exercise with India’s National Security Guard aimed at enhancing the capabilities of the armed forces of the two countries.
- The Hyderabad-exercise would help build interoperability and comradeship between the two forces and was designed to enhance the capabilities of both Indian and U.S. armed forces.
- The training focuses on mutual defense operations so both nations can more effectively employ forces and assist in the event of crises that may endanger public health and safety.
Director General : Sudeep Lakhtakia
U S To Set Up Six Nuclear Power Plants In India :
- The nineth round of the India-US Strategic Security Dialogue was held in Washington DC.
- Both sides reaffirmed to deny Weapons of Mass Destruction to non-state actors and work towards setting up US nuclear plant in India agreement.
- The two sides committed to strengthen bilateral security and civil nuclear cooperation, including the establishment of 6 U.S. nuclear reactors in India.
- India and the United States also have committed to strengthen bilateral security and civil nuclear cooperation.
Krishna Kumari Kohli becomes the first Thari Hindu woman to be elected to the Senate of Pakistan :
- Krishna Kumari Kohli has been appointed as the first female senator of Pakistan from the Hindu Dalit community. She is also the first Thari Hindu woman to be elected to the Pakistan senate.
- She has earlier worked as a crusader for the rights of bonded labourers in Pakistan. She’s natively from the village-Dhana Gam in Nagarparkar area of Sindh.
Real Madrid reappoints Zinedine Zidane as its coach till 2022 :
- Spanish football club Real Madrid has re-appointed Zinedine Zidane as its coach till 2022. He had earlier led the team to victory in three consecutive Champions League titles.
- He succeeds Santiago Solari from France, who was removed from the post less than five months in charge.
Indo Oman Joint Exercise Al Nagah III 2019 : Oman.
- Indo Oman Joint Exercise Al Nagah III 2019, a joint military exercise between Indian and Royal Army of Oman (RAO), commenced at HQ Jabel Regiment, Nizwa, Oman.
- The Omani contingent was represented by Jabel Regiment of the RAO while the Indian side was represented by troops of Tenth Battalion The Garhwal Rifles Regiment.
- The opening ceremony saw the unfurling of the national flags of both countries with Omani and Indian soldiers standing side by side signifying the growing cooperation, synergy and understanding between both the countries.
STATIC : Oman
Currency: Omani rial.
BANKING & ECONOMY
SBI launches doorstep banking service for senior citizens :
- State Bank of India has launched doorstep banking service for senior citizens over 70 years of age and differently-abled customers.
- This service is available to KYC- compliant account holders, with a valid mobile number registered with the bank and residing within 5 kilometres radius from their home branch.It will not be available for accounts operated jointly, minor accounts, and accounts of non-personal nature.
- Cash pickup and deliver, check pickup, checkbook slip, life certificate and form 15 pickup are some of the services that will be provided.
HDFC Bank : 3rd Indian Firm To Cross Rs.6 trillion Market Cap
- India’s most valued lender HDFC Bank Ltd crossed the Rs6 trillion market capitalisation for the first time , making it only the country’s third firm to achieve the milestone.
- HDFC Bank rose as much as 2.87 percent in intra-day trade to hit 52-week high of Rs 2,233, surpassing its previous high of Rs 2,220 recorded on July 18, 2018.
- The market cap of HDFC Bank stood at Rs 6,05,932.79 crore on the BSE, making it only the third Indian firm to achieve the milestone after Tata Consultancy Services and Reliance Industries.RIL is the most valued company in India with a market cap of Rs8.50 trillion, followed by TCS at Rs7.48 trillion.
India Positioned At Rank 11 In Gold Holding :
- According to latest report by World Gold Council (WGC), India is 11th largest gold reserve, with the current holding pegged at 607 tonnes. India is however, world’s largest consumer of gold.World Gold Council is the market development organization for the gold industry
- The top spot is occupied by the US with gold reserves of 8,133.5 tonnes, followed by Germany with 3,369.7 tonnes.
STATIC : World Gold Council (WGC)
Headquarter : London, United Kingdom (UK).
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
HGS and NASSCOM to launch centre of excellence for PwDs in Bangalore :
- Hinduja Global Solutions (HGS) has teamed up with NASSCOM Foundation, to launch a centre of excellence in Bengaluru for training differently-abled persons.
- The centre will train a minimum of 100 PwDs making them industry-ready over the next 12 months with a goal to place at least 50 per cent of them in companies already sensitised for hiring them.
- The trainees will be skilled in a variety of job roles suitable for hospitality, IT or BPM and retail industries and will also be trained on soft skills, interview skills, communication skills, and English language.
AWARDS & HONOURS
President Confers Gallantry and Distinguished Service Awards at Rashtrapati Bhawan :
- The President and Supreme Commander of the Indian Armed Forces Shri Ram Nath Kovind conferred three Kirti Chakras and fifteen Shaurya Chakras to Armed Forces Personnel for displaying conspicuous gallantry, indomitable courage and extreme devotion to duty at a solemn ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- The President also conferred fifteen Param Vishisht Seva Medals, one UttamYudh Seva Medals and twenty-five Ati Vishisht Seva Medals to senior officers of the Armed Forces for distinguished service of an exceptional order.Following three are the Kirti Chakra Winners:
- SEPOY VRAHMA PAL SINGH, THE RAJPUT REGIMENT (POSTHUMOUS): ARMY
- SHRI RAJENDRA KUMAR NAIN, CONSTABLE, 130 BN, CRPF (POSTHUMOUS): MHA.
- MAJOR TUSHARGAUBA, THE JAT REGIMENT: ARMY.
Special Olympics World Games 2019 makes history :
- Special Olympics World Games 2019 has made history by welcoming a record-breaking 200 nations ahead of the Games. Of the 200 nations, 195 will compete in the Games and five will observe,which is being held from March 14 to March 21 in the UAE .
- It is being held in West Asia for the first time. 7,500 athletes will take part in 24 Olympic-style sports over seven days.
STATIC : UAE
Capital: Abu Dhabi
Currency: United Arab Emirates Dirham.
World Kidney Day : 2nd Thursday of March
- Every second Thursday in March is being observed as World Kidney Day (WKD) to create awareness on the importance of the kidneys and reducing the frequency and impact of kidney disease.
- The 2019 campaign focuses on the burden of kidney disease, disparities and access to healthcare with the theme: Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.