DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 19 , 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 19 , 2019
Daily Current Affairs (March 19, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Ola inks MoU With Telangana in Smart Traffic Solutions :
- Ola signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Government of Telangana, to support the government’s efforts towards strengthening the traffic infrastructure in the city.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Jayesh Ranjan, Principal Secretary of the Industries and Commerce (I&C) and Information Technology (IT) Departments of the Government of Telangana.
- According to a statement Ola will share intelligent insights that enable the government to implement smart solutions to enhance the mobility experience in the city.The strategic partnership between the Government of Telangana and Ola will simplify traffic, transport management and will aid transport authorities to plan projects more seamlessly.
Assam CEO Mukesh Sahu Launches I-Help Initiatives :
- Assam Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), Mukesh Sahu launched the ‘i-help’ initiative at a meeting held at the Election Department, Janata Bhawan in Guwahati.The ‘i-help’ initiative to promote digital electoral literacy in Assam.
- It is a joint initiative of the office of the Chief Electoral Officer, Assam and Common Service Centres (CSC), Assam to promote digital electoral literacy in the State.
- This particular initiative will fill the digital divide and fulfil the objective of turning the General Election, to be held in April 2019, more inclusive and participatory.
PM Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign :
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign calling everyone who was fighting corruption, social evils and working hard for the progress of India, as watchmen.
- Prime Minister also shared a 3.45-minute video titled “Take The Pledge“, urging people to join Modi on March 31 at 6 p.m. for a video programme titled ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar”.
Maldives sign agreement with Exim Bank to finance new government’s infrastructure projects :
- Maldives finance ministry has signed an agreement with India’s Export-Import bank (EXIM) for line of credit (LOC) of 800 million US dollars to finance the new government’s infrastructure projects.
- The agreement with EXIM Bank was signed in presence of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj.The LOC is part of 1.4 billion US dollars finance assistance announced by Indian government during President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih’s state visit in December.
- The EXIM Bank loans come with a 1.75 percent interest rate and a 15-year repayment period after five years of moratorium.
Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa.
India and Afghanistan signed an MoU to collaborate on Digital Education Initiatives :
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Afghanistan Government to collaborate on Digital Education Initiatives.
- The MoU was signed at IIT-Madras. This collaboration hopes to contribute to bilateral relations and beget mutual benefits for the two countries.
- One of the main objectives of the MOU is to facilitate students and faculty from Afghanistan to enroll and learn from the courses offered on SWAYAM, which will expose them to latest technology courses and also upskill them in areas of their interest.
Currency: Afghan Afghani.
Africa-India Field Training Exercise AFINDEX-19 Begins in Pune :
- A 10-day long Africa-India Joint Field Training Exercise (AFINDEX-19) between the Indian Army and 16 African nations will be conducted in Pune.
- The aim of the exercise is to practice the participating nations in planning and conduct of Humanitarian Mine Assistance and Peace Keeping Operations.
- Contingents of the 17 African Nations came together for the opening ceremony along with a contingent of Maratha Light Infantry representing India.
Pramod Sawant Sworn In As New Goa Chief Minister :
- Pramod Sawant (45) former Speaker of Goa legislative Assembly and MLA from Sankhelim in North Goa was sworn-in as 11th Chief Minister of Goa by replacing Manohar Parrikar.
- He was given the oath of office and secrecy at Raj Bhavan by Goa Governor Mridula Sinha. The entire Cabinet of Manohar Parikkar has been retained.
BANKING & ECONOMY
RBI limits HDFC to hold more than 9.9% stake in Bandhan Bank :
- The Reserve Bank of India has prohibited India’s largest mortgage lender HDFC from owning more than the regulatory limit in Bandhan Bank.
- HDFC can hold 9.9% in the bank which is the maximum a non-banking finance company can own in a private bank.
Hyundai and Kia signed an agreement to invest $300 million in Ola :
- Hyundai Motor Group and Kia Motors Corporation announced a strategic partnership to invest 300 million dollars (about Rs 2,000 crore) in ride-hailing platform Ola for providing smart mobility solutions.
- The agreement will see the three companies extensively collaborate on developing unique fleet and mobility solutions, build India-specific electric vehicles and infrastructure, as well as nurture opportunities for driver partners with customised vehicles on the Ola platform.
WhatsApp Joins Hands With NASSCOM Foundation To Curb Fake News :
- WhatsApp announced that it has tied up with NASSCOM Foundation, to tackle the challenge of misinformation.
- With this partnership, Whatsapp aims to reach approximately 100,000 Indians with training to spot false information and provide tips and tricks to stay safe on WhatsApp.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Mukesh Ambani Tops list of World’s Richest Sports Team Owners :
- Asia’s richest man and Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani topped Forbes’ the World’s Richest Sports Team Owners 2019 list.
- With a total net worth of about $50 billion, Mukesh Ambani topped the list. Ambani is followed by former CEO of Microsoft, Steve Ballmer who is worth $41.2 billion and owns the NBA team Los Angeles Clippers.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ISRO & IIT Roorkee sign MoU for setting up Space Technology Cell :
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee has signed an MoU with The Indian Space Research Organisation of the Department of Space(ISRO) to develop Space Technology Cells on the campus of the varsity.
- IIT Roorkee issued a statement saying the premier technology school has inked an MoU with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) to setup Space Technology Cells.
- The Space Technology Cells developed under this MoU will help students and faculty members of the institute to pursue advanced research in different areas related to futuristic space technology.
Bengaluru FC crowned ISL champions for first time :
- Bengaluru FC clinched their maiden Indian Super League title as Rahul Bheke found a championship-winning header in the dying minutes of the final against FC Goa, in Mumbai.
- The two teams were locked 0-0 after 90 minutes. Even the first extra time saw no goals but Bengaluru got better of a 10-men Goan team 1-0, four minutes from the end of the second extra half.
Valtteri Bottas wins Australian Grand Prix for Mercedes :
- Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes’ ) beat his world champion teammate Lewis Hamilton to clinch the season-opening Australian Formula One Grand Prix.
- Lewis Hamilton finished the race in the second spot, while Red Bull’s Max Verstappen finished third.
Veteran journalist Darryl D’Monte dies at 76 :
- Senior journalist and environmental activist Darryl D’Monte passed away in Mumbai after a brief illness at the age of 74 years.
- In a career spanning several decades, he served as the resident editor of Mumbai editions of The Times of India and The Indian Express.
Ordinance Factories Day 2019 : MARCH 18
- Ordnance Factories Day is observed all over India on 18 March every year.The Ordinance Factories Board is popularly known as the country’s “Fourth Arm of Defense” and the remaining three arms are – the Navy, the Air Force, and the Army.
- On the 200th anniversary of the first ordnance factory which is now known as the Gun and Shell Factory, the day was declared as Ordinance factories day.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 17 & 18, 2019
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.