DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 3 & 4, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 3 & 4 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Press Freedom Day being celebrated across globe:
- World Press Freedom Day is being celebrated across the globe under the theme of the day is “Journalism without Fear or Favour”. World Press Freedom Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993, following recommendation of UNESCO’s Gen Conference.
International Astronomy Day 2020- May 2:
- The International Astronomy Day is celebrated twice a year (bi-annual), once in the spring (in 2020- May 2) & another in autumn(in 2020- October 5).
Prime Minister Modi to participate in NAM Summit through Video Conferencing:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will participate in the Virtual Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Summit through Video Conferencing. The summit will discuss and decide on the enhanced coordination of the member states in their fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
Maharashtra becomes first state in India to provide free & cashless insurance cover to its people:
- Maharashtra announced that all citizens will be covered under the state government’s health scheme, and it will be the first state to provide free and cashless insurance protection to its people. 85% of the state’s population was covered under MJPJAY (Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jan Arogya Yojana).
NMCG & NIUA organized IDEAthon on ‘The Future of River Management’:
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) under the Ministry of Jal Shakti and National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) organized an IDEAthon on ‘The future of River Management’ to explore how the COVID-19 crisis can shape River Management strategies
200 new mandis from 7 states join e-NAM for marketing of agricultural produce:
- 200 new mandis from 7 states joined the e-NAM platform for marketing of Agricultural produce bring the total number of e-NAM mandis in the country to 785.It is for the first time that Karnataka has been added to the list of e-NAM states.
Five more States, UTs integrates with National Cluster under ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ plan:
- Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan approved the integration of five more States and UTs with the National Cluster under the One Nation, One Ration Card plan.
- These States and UTs are Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu.
Green nod to Rs 922 crore new Parliament complex:
- Green nod has been given to construction of the new Parliament building at a cost of Rs 922 Crore. Environment ministry’s Expert Appraisal committee cleared the controversial project in its April 22-24 meeting. Existing Building was constructed 93 years ago.
- The Parliament House was designed by Lutyens and Baker.
CSIR’s Kisan Sabha App to connect farmers to supply chain:
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research has launched “Kisan Sabha App” to connect farmers to supply chain and freight transportation Management System.It aims to provide the most economical and timely logistics support to the farmers.
Government hikes MSP for 49 Minor Forest Produce:
- Government has raised the minimum support price for Minor Forest Produce of 49 items. Tribal Affairs Ministry said, the increase across various items of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) ranges from 16% to 66% to provide an immediate momentum to procurement.
- Union Minister of Tribal Affairs: Arjun Munda
Kashmir Saffron receives GI Tag:
- The Saffron cultivated in the Kashmir valley-known as a spice, cosmetics and health rejuvenator- has received Geographical Indication Tag. Gorakhpur Teracotta, Kovilpatti Kadalai Mittai and Black rice of Manipur also received GI tag recently.
- It is the only saffron in the world that is grown at 1,600 m.
Ministry of Shipping launches new website-shipmin.gov.in:
- Ministry of Shipping Mansukh L. Mandaviya has revamped its website gov.in. The new website is based on open source technology and is deployed on NIC cloud Meghraj.
- The website is designed as per GIGW issued by Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances.
Banking and Economy
RBI cancels licence of Mumbai-based The CKP Co-operative Bank:
- Reserve Bank of India cancelled the licence of Mumbai-based The CKP Co-operative Bank Ltd. in view that the financial position of the bank is highly adverse & unsustainable.
- With this process of paying the depositors as per DICGC Act, 1961 will happen. Every depositor is entitled to repayment of upto ,Rs 5 Lakh.
USD 400 million multi-year financial support to India: World Bank:
- The World Bank‘s Board of Executive Directors has approved a USD 400 million multi-year financial support to help India enhance its coastal & marine resources, protect marine resources & coastal populations from pollution, erosion, sea-level rise, and improve livelihood opportunities for coastal communities over the next decade.
- Headquarters– Washington, United States
- President– David Malpass
Over 99% of CKP Co-Op Bank’s depositors to get full repayment: RBI:
- RBI said that over 99% of CKP Co-Op Bank’s 1.32 lakh depositors will get full money through DICGC. On liquidation, every depositor is entitled to repayment of his deposits up to a monetary ceiling of Rs 5 lakh from DICGC as per usual terms & conditions.
- RBI had restricted CKP’s activities since 2014.
Science and Technology
IIG develops new simulation code to study electric field structure in Earth’s Magnetosphere”:
- Scientists at the Indian Institute of Geomagnetism have developed a generalized one-dimensional fluid simulation code capable of studying a wide spectrum of coherent electric field structures in near-earth plasma environment or earth’s magnetosphere.
US Scientists discover 1st known aquatic Dinosaur ‘Spinosaurus aegyptiacus’:
- According to the study published in the journal Nature, a team of United States scientists have discovered a carnivorous swimming dinosaur named ‘Spinosaurus aegyptiacus’ at the Kem Kem region of the Moroccan Sahara in North Africa.
- Spinosaurus is said to be lived about 95 million years ago.
Yes Bank appoints Neeraj Dhawan as chief risk officer with immediate effect:
- Yes Bank has appointed Neeraj Dhawan as its chief risk officer with immediate effect for a period of three years. Prior to this, Dhawan was holding the position of chief risk officer for retail and business banking at Yes Bank.
- Yes Bank CEO: Prashant Kumar
Professor Shobana Narasimhan of JNCASR elected as International Member to American Academy of Arts and Science:
- Professor Shobhana Narasimha head of the Computational Nanoscience group from the Theoretical Science Unit (TSU), Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India has been elected as an International Honorary Member to the American Academy of Arts and Science
Tata Motors JLR CEO Ralf Speth elected Fellow of UK’s Royal Society:
- Professor Sir Ralf Speth, the Chief Executive of Tata Motors-owned Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), has been elected a Fellow of the prestigious Royal Society in the UK. The honour is in recognition of Speth’s advocacy for UK R&D.
NTPC appointed Ramesh Babu as director:
- State-owned power giant NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) appointed Ramesh Babu V as director (operations). He was the successor of Prakash Tiwari who retired on April 30, 2020.
- Before his appointment Babu served as the Executive Director (ED) to the CMD (Chairman and Managing Director) while also working on system
RBL Bank appoints Deepak Kumar as Chief Risk Officer:
- RBL Bank announced that it has appointed Deepak Kumar as the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) of the bank for a period of two years who will replace Ramnath Krishnan.
- Kumar has served as the Chief General Manager of the State Bank of India (SBI).
- RBL Bank HQ: Mumbai
Professor Shobhana Narsimhan Elected To American Academy Of Arts And Sciences:
- Professor Shobhana Narasimhan from the Theoretical Sciences Unit (TSU) at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), has been elected as an International Honorary Member to the American Academy of Arts and Science.
Awards and Recognitions:
Padma Shri awardee Thalappil Pradeep named for 25th Nikkei Asia Prizes 2020 in S&T:
- IIT-Madras Professor & Padma Shri awardee Thalappil Pradeep named for 25th Nikkei Asia Prizes 2020 in S&T.
- The prize includes a cash component of 3 Million Yen and an award certificate and is scheduled to be awarded in Tokyo, Japan later 2020.
- It should be noted that Nikkei Asia Prizes are awarded in three categories.
India is placed 3rd among countries in scientific publication: NSTMIS Survey:
- The National Science and Technology Management Information (NSTMIS) survey on Research and Development Statistics and Indicators 2019- says that India ranks 3rd globally in the scientific publication. USA and China occupied the first two ranks.
Books and Authors:
Union Culture Minister released e-book ‘Prof. B. B. Lal -India Rediscovered’ to mark the centenary year of Prof B. B. Lal:
- Shri Prahlad Singh Patel, Union Culture Minister, released an e-book ‘Prof. B. B. Lal- India Rediscovered’ in New Delhi, on the occasion of centenary year (100th birthday) of the great archaeologist Professor Braj Basi Lal.
Justice Ajay Kumar Tripathi passed away due to COVID-19 disease:
- Justice Ajay Kumar Tripathi, former Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh HC, died after suffering cardiac arrest at AIIMS in Delhi. He had also served as an Additional Advocate General in Bihar. Later, he was elevated as Additional Judge of the Patna High Court.
Noted playwright Bijay Mishra passed away at 83:
- Noted playwright, dramatist, scriptwriter and film director Bijay Mishra of Odisha passed away at the age of 83 due to age-related ailments in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
Kannada poet KS Nissar Ahmed passes away:
- Renowned Kannada poet KS Nissar Ahmed passed away. Nisaar had won several awards including Rajyotsava Award in 1981, Padma Shri in 2008.
Former world snooker champion Peter Ebdon retires from sport:
- Former World Snooker champion Peter Ebdon has retired from the sport to avoid having to endure daunting spinal surgery. Peter Ebdon won the 2002 world title, beating Stephen Hendry in an 18-17 final thriller. He was also a two-time runner-up.
- He was the recipient of WPBSA’s Newcomer of the Year award.
BWF postpones World Championship 2020 to November 2021:
- Badminton World Federation (BWF) postponed Badminton World Championship 2020 to the November 29 to December 5,2021. which is traditionally held in August and other Qualifiers for the Olympics are rescheduled. The tournament will take place at the Caroline Marin Stadium, Huelva, Spain.
Badminton World Federation (BWF):
- President– Poul-Erik Hoyer
- Founded– 1934
- Headquarters– Malaysia.
CGF postpones 7th season of 2021 Commonwealth Youth Games to 2023:
- Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) has postponed the 7th season of Commonwealth Youth Games 2021, scheduled to take place from August 1 – 7 2021 in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, to the year 2023 following a clash with Tokyo Olympic 2020 dates postponed by a year due to the coronavirus (Covid-19) epidemic.
Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF):
- Headquarters– London, England
- President– Dame Louise Martin
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.