DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 14 & 15& 16, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (May 14 & 15 & 16, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
DRDO Successfully Conducts Flight Test Of ‘Abhyas’:
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted the flight test of ‘Abhyas’, a High-Speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT), which offers a realistic threat scenario for practice of weapon systems.
- The flight test was conducted at the Interim Test Range, Chandipur, in Odisha. It was tracked by various radars and electro-optic systems and proved its performance in fully autonomous waypoint navigation mode.
Doordarshan launches souvenir store on Amazon India:
- Public service broadcaster Doordarshan has launched a souvenir store on online shopping website Amazon India. The idea is to establish an even stronger relationship with viewers.
- A whole range of merchandise including T-shirts, coffee mugs and sippers with the tagline “I am in your DNA, I am your Doordarshan” will now be available on the e-commerce platform.
- The online store follows the DD Souvenir Gallery that was launched in June 2018.
Department of Biotechnology (DBT) launched ‘MANAV: Human Atlas Initiative’
- Recently, Department of Biotechnology (DBT) launched ‘MANAV: Human Atlas Initiative’, a project for mapping every tissue of the human body to help better understand the roles of tissues and cells linked to various diseases.
- It is a collaborated project between Indian Institute of Science, Education and Research (IISER) Pune, Persistent Systems and the National Centre for Cell Science (NCCS). It was launched by the DBT Secretary, Dr. Renu Swarup.
Cannes Film Festival Begins in France:
- The 72nd Cannes Film Festival begins in Cannes, France. Mexican filmmaker Alejandro González Iñárritu has been named the Jury President.
- American film director Jim Jarmusch’s ensemble zombie comedy film “The Dead Don’t Die” will serve as the opening film of the festival. And “The Specials” will serve as the closing film in the festival.
- Information and Broadcasting Secretary Amit Khare is leading the Indian Delegation at Cannes Film Festival.
ISIS claims it has established new branch ‘Wilayah of Hind’ in India:
- The Islamic State terror group has claimed to have established a new “province” in India, the first of its kind announcement that came after clashes between militants and security forces in Kashmir on May 10.
- The Arabic name of the new branch is “Wilayah of Hind” (India Province), the dreaded terror outfit, (also known as ISIS and ISIL).
- ISIS (The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. Officially known as the Islamic State) did not speak about the Indian province’s geographical territory though.
China launches two new Type 052D destroyers:
- China has launched two new Type 052D guided-missile destroyers as it continues its push to upgrade its naval power. The two new warships were launched at the Dalian shipyard in northeast China.
- They are the 19th and 20th ships in the class and are named as Tangshan and Suzhou. China, at present, has 20 Type 052Ds either in active service or to be launched for service soon.
BANKING & BUSINESS
NABARD announces ₹ 700-cr venture capital fund for agri, rural startups:
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) announced an Rs.700-crore venture capital fund for equity investments in agriculture and rural-focused startups.
- NABARD has been contributing to other funds till now and this is the first time that the rural development bank has launched a fund of its own.
- The fund has been launched by Nabventures, a subsidiary of NABARD, and has a proposed corpus of Rs.500 crore with an option to retain over-subscriptions of Rs.200 crore, called as the greenshoe option.
HDFC ERGO Launches Cover for Vector Borne Diseases:
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company, India’s third-largest non-life insurance provider in the private sector announced the launch of ‘Mosquito Disease Protection Policy’.
- This new policy will cover an individual against common mosquito-borne diseases like Dengue Fever, Malaria, Chikungunya, Japanese Encephalitis, Kala-azar, Lymphatic Filariasis and Zika Virus.
- According to the report published by National Health Profile 2018, there has been an alarming rise in dengue cases in India, an increase of 300% between 2009 to 2017.
RBI slaps ₹1-cr fine on Nainital Bank:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a monetary penalty of ₹1 crore on Nainital Bank for its failure to fully automate the Non-Performing Asset (NPA) identification process, despite specific directions issued in this regard.
- This penalty has been imposed in exercise of powers vested in the RBI under the provisions of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
ICICI Bank joins hands with travel portal Goibibo to launch multi-currency card:
- ICICI Bank, announced the launch of a co-branded multi-currency card with online travel booking portal Goibibo.
- Customers can instantly transfer money from one currency to another through ICICI Bank’s internet portal and reload currency into the card anytime, anywhere.
- The card also includes benefits of up to ₹20,000, including gift vouchers of ₹15,000 from Goibibo. Additionally, customers get 40 paise discount on currency conversion rate on loading of a minimum of $1,000.
Dinesh Pangtey appointed as CEO of LIC Mutual Fund:
- Dinesh Pangtey has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer of LIC Mutual Fund. Prior to taking over as CEO of LIC Mutual Fund, Dinesh Pangtey was Director and Chief Executive Officer at LIC HFL AMC.
ICC Appoints India’s GS Lakshmi as First-ever Female Match Referee:
- India’s GS Lakshmi has become the first-ever woman referee to be appointed on the ICC International Panel of Match Referees.
- Lakshmi, 51, who first officiated as a match referee in domestic women’s cricket in 2008-09, has overseen three women’s ODI matches and three women’s T20I matches.
AWARDS & HONOURS
CEAT Cricket Rating Awards 2019:
- India captain Virat Kohli bagged the International Cricketer and Batsman of the Year award during the CEAT Cricket Rating (CCR) International Awards 2019 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- International Bowler of the Year 2019 – Jasprit Bumrah
- Junior Cricketer of the Year 2019 – Yashasvi Jaiswal
- Outstanding Performance of the Year 2019 – Kuldeep Yadav
- Domestic Cricketer of the Year 2019 – Ashutosh Ama
- CCR International Lifetime Achievement Award 2019 – Mohinder Amarnath
- International Test Cricketer of the Year 2019 – Cheteshwar Pujara
- International ODI Cricketer of the Year 2019 – Rohit Sharma
- International T20 Player of the Year 2019 – Aaron Finch
- International T20 Bowler of the Year 2019 – Rashid Khan
- International Women Cricketer of the Year 2019 – Smriti Mandhana
2019 IAAF World Relays Highlights:
- The 2019 IAAF World Relays was held in Yokohama, Japan from May 11 to May 12, 2019. Two new events were established for 2019, both mixed events: the 2 × 2 × 400 m relay and the shuttle hurdles relay.
- The 2 x 2 x 400 m mixed relay event has replaced 4 x 800 m relay which featured in the previous events.
- Indian men’s 4 x 400 m relay and women’s 4 x 400 m relay teams finished at 17th.
- The Indian mixed 4 x 400 m relay team finished at 15th.
- The top 10 finishers in the IAAF World Relays 2019 in men’s and women’s 4×400 m relays event and top 12 finishers in mixed 4×400 m relays event have qualified for the IAAF World Athletics Championship which will going to held in Doha, Qatar from September 28 to October 6, 2019.
Here the Winner List:
|Men’s 4×100 m relay||Brazil|
|Men’s 4×200 m relay||US|
|Men’s 4×400 m relay||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Women’s 4x100m relay||US|
|Women’s 4×200 m relay||France|
|Women’s 4×400 m relay||Poland|
|Mixed 4×400 m relay||US|
|Mixed 2x2x400 m relay||US|
|Mixed Shuttle Hurdles relay||US|
Lewis Hamilton wins Spanish GP as Mercedes seal fifth consecutive one-two:
- Lewis Hamilton won the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona. He celebrated the 76th win of his Formula 1 career, third victory of 2019 and fourth in Spain following victories in 2014, 2017 and 2018.
- This win took him back to the top spot of the world championship ranking with 112 points, ahead of Valtteri Bottas who is on 105 points.
Asia-Pacific Diamond Cup: Gangjee finishes tied 39, Asaji wins title
- India’s Rahil Gangjee finished tied 39th while Viraj Madappa faltered on the final day and ended tied 53rd at the Asia-Pacific Diamond Cup in Japan.
- Japan’s Yosuke Asaji capped the title at the Sobu Country Club. Micah Lauren Shin of the USA shared second place with Japanese amateur RenYonezawa.
- Asaji’s winning total of three-under-par 281 also secured him a spot at The 148th Open which will be held at Royal Portrush, Northern Ireland in July 2019.
Navy’s first full-fledged SSB opened at Kolkata:
- The Indian Navy’s first full-fledged Services Selection Board (SSB) was inaugurated by Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba at Diamond Harbour near Kolkata.
- This is the fifth SSB of the Indian Navy and will cater for selection of both permanent and short service commission (SSC) officers. The other boards are located in Bhopal, Bengaluru, Visakhapatnam and Coimbatore.
Young Scientist Programme ‘Yuvika2019’ inaugurated:
- The Young Scientist Programme ‘Yuvika2019’ was inaugurated by Indian Space Research Organisation, ISRO Chairman Dr K Sivan, through video mode in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- The two-week residential summer vacation programme spread over four ISRO centres in Bengaluru, Thiruvananthapuram, Ahmedabad and Shillong are attended by 110 students.
Centre extends ban on LTTE for 5 years:
- The central government has extended the ban on the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) for five years with immediate effect, a notification issued by the Union Home ministry.
- The ban has been extended under sub-sections (1) and (3) of section 3 of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967. The notification stated that the LTTE’s perpetual violent activities and adopting a vehement anti-nationalist stand are extremely detrimental to the integrity of our nation.
Brahmakalashothsava Festival 2019:
- The Brahmakalashothsava festival 2019 has started in Karnataka. This is a 6-day festival celebrated annually in the ancient Chandkuru Sri Durga Parameshwari Temple situated in Polali, Dakshina Kannada district in Karnataka.
Anthill Ventures in tie-up with AP govt:
- Anthill Ventures, which helps start-ups scale up, has tied up with the Andhra Pradesh government to offer A-Scale, its market access programme to start-ups in the State.
- A-Scale, an Asian market access programme for start-ups based in Singapore, covers 18 start-ups every year, giving them capital, mentoring as well as access to use-cases on business scaling.
India to co-chair Consultative Group (CG) of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR):
- India has been unanimously chosen as co-chair of the Consultative Group (CG) of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) for the fiscal year 2020.
- The decision was taken during the meeting of GFDRR held in Geneva, Switzerland on the margins of the 6th Session of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- GFDRR is a global partnership that helps developing countries better understand and reduce their vulnerability to natural hazards and climate change. It is a grant-funding mechanism, managed by the World Bank, that supports disaster risk management projects worldwide.
Exercise Bull Strike at Teressa Island, Andaman:
- All Indian armed forces comprising Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force hold joint exercise “Bull Strike” at Teressa Island in Andaman and Nicobar.
- The objective is to enhance their coordination in dealing with major security challenges which are currently facing the country and also to showcase joint operation capability of the three forces, Indian Army, Navy and Air Force and further enhance operation coordination.
NASA dubbed its 2024 Mission to Moon as ‘Artemis’:
- US Space Agency announced that the National Aeronautics and Space Organization (NASA) is set for its Mission to Moon “Artemis” which is to be achieved by 2024. Earlier, its goal to achieve this feat was by 2028.
- After the Mission to Moon “Artemis”, NASA is planning to reach Mars by 2033.
RBI appoints R. Gandhi on board of Yes Bank:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed former deputy governor Rama Subramaniam Gandhi as an additional director on the board of Yes Bank for two years, from 14 May 2019 to 13 May 2021.
- The appointment has been made under sub-section (1) of Section 36 AB of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
India backs Nigeria’s Ambassador to UN as next president of General Assembly:
- India has expressed support to Nigeria’s Ambassador to the UN Tijjani Muhammad-Bande as the next president of the General Assembly. The dialogue aims to contribute to the transparency and inclusivity of the selection process.
Former SC Justice MB Lokur appointed to Supreme Court of Fiji:
- Justice Madan Bhimrao Lokur, who retired as the senior-most judge of the Supreme Court in December 2018, has been appointed to the Supreme Court of Fiji’s non-resident panel for the duration of three years.
BharatPe ropes in Salman Khan as brand ambassador:
- Merchant service and UPI payments app BharatPe has roped in Bollywood actor Salman Khan as its brand ambassador.
- The new brand campaign with Khan will be focused towards educating merchants and users about UPI payments along with driving adoption of BharatPe app for all their business needs.
BANKING & BUSINESS
Airtel, HDFC Life Insurance to offer free cover for prepaid customers:
- Bharti Airtel and HDFC Life Insurance have tied up to offer life cover for customers who get a prepaid recharge done.
- Airtel’s new Rs.249-prepaid bundle which will include 2 GB data, unlimited calls across networks, and 100 SMS per day will also offer a cover worth Rs.4 lakh from HDFC Life. The recharge validity is for only 28 days.
Paytm Credit Card Launched in Partnership with Citi, Brings ‘Universal Unlimited Cashback’:
- Paytm has tied up with Citi to launch a credit card, called the Paytm First Card. The new Paytm credit card is touted to offer one percent “Universal Unlimited Cashback” to customers along with no restrictions on earning categories.
- The Paytm First Card is similar to co-branded credit cards that retailers and airlines offer and uses Visa network for transactions. The card will offer Paytm promocodes worth Rs.10,000 on spending a minimum of Rs.10,000.
Anish Kapoor tops the maiden Hurun India Art list:
- The Hurun Research Institute released the Hurun India Art List 2019, a ranking of the top 50 Indian artists alive, based on the sales of their works at public auctions from April 2018 to March 2019.
- Backed by sales quantified at Rs.168.25 crore, Anish Kapoor, 65, tops the list, followed by Akbar Padamsee and Krishen Khanna, whose works were sold at Rs.45.84 crore and Rs.9.48 crore respectively.
- Modernist painter Arpita Singh is the most successful female artist whose works were cumulatively sold at Rs.5.25 crore.
F3: Jehan Daruvala Wins 2019 Formula 3 Season Opener in Barcelona
- Mumbai-based racer Jehan Daruvala took his maiden win in the 2019 Formula 3 championship in Barcelona.
- The Team Prema driver is the only Indian on the grid, completed on top after a dominant drive ahead of JuriVips and Niko Kari.
IMPORTANT EVENT OF THE DAY
International Day of Families: May 15th
- The International Day of Families is observed on the 15th of May every year. The International Day provides an opportunity to promote awareness of issues relating to families and to increase knowledge of the social, economic and demographic processes affecting families.
- Theme of 2019: “Families and Climate Action: Focus on SDG13”.
Legendary Singer and Actor Doris Day Passes Away:
- The Hollywood actor-singer Doris Day has died due to pneumonia in her home near Carmel Valley, California at the age of 97. In 1976 she released her autobiography named “Doris Day: Her Own Story”.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL